RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AustralianStig

Re: The Marussia Thread

Post by AustralianStig »

And Sky Sports are now reporting it: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/17581 ... ebruary-19

I don't care how slow they may be in Melbourne, I'm just so happy that things are looking promising!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

If Marussia does arrive in Melbourne, bringing two MR03, maybe with some minor updates to it adopted from MR04, a handful of people and obviously two paydrivers, I still wonder - what will they use to make the cars move?
Does the FIA allowance given to Caterham and Marussia include using the 2014-spec engines? Or will they have to do a rush job of fitting an updated unit in the back of the car?

Either way, I'm looking forward with utmost anticipation to see Marussia in action :D
Last edited by Pointrox on 04 Feb 2015, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm impressed, I thought they were gone for good. Does that mean they qualify for the points money from last year now? Or has it already gone to debtors?

Chilton, if ever there was a time to step up it is now!
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

:D :D :D
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I'm impressed, I thought they were gone for good. Does that mean they qualify for the points money from last year now? Or has it already gone to debtors?

Well, it says that with the prize money, their debts are halved so yes and yes. But I only believe they will be present at the first race when I see them in the grid.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm allowing myself to believe that this is happening. This forum needs a team we can cheer on, otherwise this season is a write off. :D

Adam Cooper is reporting on Twitter that the investors could be linked to Honda, meaning next year we could see the reincarnation of SUPER AGURI. Honda b-team with a K-Mags/Vandoorne line-up in 2016?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:I'm allowing myself to believe that this is happening. This forum needs a team we can cheer on, otherwise this season is a write off. :D

Cheer for Sauber! They're racing with, in local parlance, no arse in their trousers :lol:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Adam Cooper is reporting on Twitter that the investors could be linked to Honda, meaning next year we could see the reincarnation of SUPER AGURI. Honda b-team with a K-Mags/Vandoorne line-up in 2016?

Well, Autosport are reporting that rumours that the take-over bid is linked to McLaren is wide of the mark. That does not exclude your quoted theory, however, does it!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Adam Cooper is reporting on Twitter that the investors could be linked to Honda, meaning next year we could see the reincarnation of SUPER AGURI. Honda b-team with a K-Mags/Vandoorne line-up in 2016?

Well, Autosport are reporting that rumours that the take-over bid is linked to McLaren is wide of the mark. That does not exclude your quoted theory, however, does it!

McLaren has ruled out this option according to Ted Kravitz
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

f1andrea wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

McLaren has ruled out this option according to Ted Kravitz

Yeah, pretty much what I said. :roll: Doesn't stop HONDA from being involved though, does it?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

How many times must they almost go broke? I know they're the darling team, but now would be a good time to pay off whatever debt is possible and wrap up their time in F1. What possible purpose does 'competing' in 2015 have? Their 2014 car was pretty good actually but they didn't have the money to use it competitively/keep developing. That same car that wasn't developed since early 2014 really has no place in the 2015 field, and they still don't have the cash to use it. The only engine available is the Ferrari and they still owe on last year's engines, so how will they afford the new ones? And finally, while a lot of F1 fans will be glad to just see them on the grid, there's no danger of a Marussia grabbing a point whatsoever.

I know i'm hatin' on Marussia/Manor, but do we need to see a prolonged, miserable and pathetic death of a beloved reject team? I mean, they already proved that they can't afford to kick about at the back of the grid EVEN WITH a miracle points grabbing breakthrough. What purpose is there in entering a team with no 2015 car, no money to run it if there was one, no engine, no drivers.

I know whoever is bankrolling them is looking at that +30 million quid, but come on. This does not look like a triumphant return of an underdog, it more closely resembles the shambles that was Caterham after Fernandes pulled out and 'investors' bought the team for the sake of 'competing' in F1, and not 'fiscal shenanigans' for lack of a better term.

Anyway, not happy, don't need to see this, would much rather the sad story ended in tears. Because it can allways get worse.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Justin King (former Sainsbury's CEO) is involved according to Daniel Johnson, the telegraph.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

NBC is reporting it as well, although the story is mostly a Ron Dennis rant against "B" Teams. Ferrari also confirms they will not be providing mechanics to the team (so no Ferrari "B" Team? or no engines? Doesn't say).

Real question who will be slower? Marussia or McLaren?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

The positive thing is that Marussia keeps on providing information on their status, whilst Caterham seems to have well and truly vanished from the media. That doesn't mean they will make it, but at least it's refreshing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Pointrox wrote:If Marussia does arrive in Melbourne, bringing two MR03, maybe with some minor updates to it adopted from MR04, a handful of people and obviously two paydrivers, I still wonder - what will they use to make the cars move?
Does the FIA allowance given to Caterham and Marussia include using the 2014-spec engines? Or will they have to do a rush job of fitting an updated unit in the back of the car?

Either way, I'm looking forward with utmost anticipation to see Marussia in action :D

I'm not sure if Marussia were ever granted such a dispensation by the FIA - I only recall Caterham being mentioned because, at the time that the deal was arranged, Caterham was still a going concern whilst Marussia had already gone into administration. As for the engines, that is going to be an interesting question - you would assume that the most likely scenario would be to do a deal with Ferrari, but how that would be structured is anybody's guess.

CoopsII wrote:I'm impressed, I thought they were gone for good. Does that mean they qualify for the points money from last year now? Or has it already gone to debtors?

In principle, I think that they would still be eligible for prize money - I think that the main issue would be whether the FIA stripped them of their entry rights, since that would automatically void their rights to prize money (if the team has no entry rights, then there is no entity to which FOM can pay the money to).

As others have said though, whilst the news is surprising, at the same time I would like to see more about their new backers before hailing Marussia's revival as miraculous.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Great news! I don't care if they are 10 seconds off the pace at Melbourne, I'm just happy to see them back and there's always room for improvement ;) We can only hope!
#GetWellWickens
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Apparently, Manor would be eligible for the prize money since they earned it and were given due permission to miss the few races last year. However it's not the FIA that is likely to block them, it's "allegedly" up to the F1 teams themselves or the strategy group to allow Manor. This makes very little sense because a team either holds an entry or it doesn't and it's not up to teams to decide which competitor to allow or block, it's up to the FIA to grant entries and Manor have one. A provisional one. So once again contracts and rules mean nothing, esp. since it IS possible to block Manor and split their 30-40 million pounds amongst the remaining teams. Even more "allegedly" one team is prepared to dispute the Manor entry, but that could just be BS journalism.

As far as engines are allegedly concerned, the chassis was most likely constructed to apparently fit Ferrari engines and due to the alleged way the engine mountings are allegedly fitted, if unverified rumours are to be believed it would be impossible [citation needed] to use a different engine without a major redesign. So if it's a 2014 car, the engine would have to be a Ferrari.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think my favourite part of this story is the way The Only Professional Journalist In Formula One recently went on a rant about Marussia, characterising them as an outstanding example of British fortitude hoodwinked by a parasitic vanity project that never appreciated them and cut them adrift on a whim despite the way the entire company collapsed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:I think my favourite part of this story is the way The Only Professional Journalist In Formula One recently went on a rant about Marussia, characterising them as an outstanding example of British fortitude hoodwinked by a parasitic vanity project that never appreciated them and cut them adrift on a whim despite the way the entire company collapsed.

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:I think my favourite part of this story is the way The Only Professional Journalist In Formula One recently went on a rant about Marussia, characterising them as an outstanding example of British fortitude hoodwinked by a parasitic vanity project that never appreciated them and cut them adrift on a whim despite the way the entire company collapsed.

That isn't what is annoying. What is annoying is that Caterham is precisely the same thing (or worst) he says about Marussia but because he is BFF with Fernandes, that case doesn't worth any mention from him.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I'm with wmetcalf7 4 ...the more , the merrier . More cars means more drivers having a chance to be seen, more stories, more racing, more action . More stories, and more heroes means more interest.

If you've only got 18 on the grid, and race in 19 countries you simply can't have a home hero in every race, and that is a real source of interest ( Alex Yoong made a real impact , Narain too ...). I'm not saying we should have a home hero in each race if there's no one suitable, but Hungarians in Hungary add real interest, even towards the back of the grid.

If F1 is under-subscribed and can't fill a grid, then it doesn't look so much like the best racing series in the world... and the fewer places in F1 , the more likely that it doesn't have the best drivers in the world; they'll have gone elsewhere, or given up.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

yannicksamlad wrote:I'm with wmetcalf7 4 ...the more , the merrier . More cars means more drivers having a chance to be seen, more stories, more racing, more action . More stories, and more heroes means more interest.

If F1 is under-subscribed and can't fill a grid, then it doesn't look so much like the best racing series in the world... and the fewer places in F1 , the more likely that it doesn't have the best drivers in the world; they'll have gone elsewhere, or given up.

This phrase reminded me of the 2005 US GP... And we all remember how "successful" that race was!
MCard LOLA
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

yannicksamlad wrote:I'm with wmetcalf7 4 ...the more , the merrier . More cars means more drivers having a chance to be seen, more stories, more racing, more action . More stories, and more heroes means more interest.

If you've only got 18 on the grid, and race in 19 countries you simply can't have a home hero in every race, and that is a real source of interest ( Alex Yoong made a real impact , Narain too ...). I'm not saying we should have a home hero in each race if there's no one suitable, but Hungarians in Hungary add real interest, even towards the back of the grid.

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:Great news! I don't care if they are 10 seconds off the pace at Melbourne, I'm just happy to see them back and there's always room for improvement ;) We can only hope!

I totally agree with yours opinion ;)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:Great news! I don't care if they are 10 seconds off the pace at Melbourne, I'm just happy to see them back and there's always room for improvement ;) We can only hope!

Oh no! It's the invasion of the wmetcalfies! Run for your lives! ;)
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

DanielPT wrote:

Oh no! It's the invasion of the wmetcalfies! Run for your lives! ;)

Wait, that's me....... Start running :P
#GetWellWickens
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

source says that Force India, Sauber, Red Bull and Toro Rosso voted against the possibility of use 2014 chassis for 2015 season. The source is not safe, even if some people says that also BBC report this rumors
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

f1andrea wrote:source says that Force India, Sauber, Red Bull and Toro Rosso voted against the possibility of use 2014 chassis for 2015 season. The source is not safe, even if some people says that also BBC report this rumors

f1andrea wrote:Red Bull and Toro Rosso

f1andrea wrote:Red Bull and Toro Rosso

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

If true then I am sorry to be a doom monger but in five years F1 will fall
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

f1andrea wrote:source says that Force India, [...] voted against the possibility of use 2014 chassis for 2015 season.

WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Sounds hypocritical that Force India would block Marussia's attempt to use the 2014 chassis based on Mallya's Twitter comments. Unless he had no say in the decision, but that's highly unlikely. The sources could be complete rubbish as well, which I'd hope is true. Not sure why Sauber would block Marussia though.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

go_Rubens wrote:Sounds hypocritical that Force India would block Marussia's attempt to use the 2014 chassis based on Mallya's Twitter comments. Unless he had no say in the decision, but that's highly unlikely. The sources could be complete rubbish as well, which I'd hope is true. Not sure why Sauber would block Marussia though.

Actually, I have my doubts that Sauber (and STR) would get any say in the matter - it's the F1 Strategy Group, so surely only the Big Five and Force India would have the vote?
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yes exactly, that's what Adam Cooper confirms. It required unanimous approval so would have only taken one team to step out of line, and I suspect it will have been Force India.

The fact remains however that yet again, the teams have made a foolish, short-sighted decision that damages the future of the sport. They cannot be allowed the luxury of making decisions themselves - they are too pre-occupied with their own individual issues to be able to make collective decisions for the good of F1.

The fact the strategy group exists at all is the main reason why this has happened, and why it was even created in the first place is something that defies all logic. It just isn't a sensible solution to solving the sport's problems. The teams are like a bunch of kids and unfortunately they need a big strong parent like Mosley was at the FIA to keep them in line and keep the sport on the straight and narrow. Now that Todt doesn't give a sh*t they've been left to get on with it themselves and look where that's got us!

I haven't given up hope, but this is a major blow to Manor's hope's of coming back.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

The short-sighted selfishness of the other teams makes me sick. Once again the sport that I love has metaphorically kicked me in the balls.

We F1 rejects fans really are masochists aren't we?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

It's on Autosport now. I don't believe I've ever seen such blatant selfishness from F1 teams. Everything else I have to say on the subject has already been said.
#FreeGonzo
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

GwilymJJames wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Sounds hypocritical that Force India would block Marussia's attempt to use the 2014 chassis based on Mallya's Twitter comments. Unless he had no say in the decision, but that's highly unlikely. The sources could be complete rubbish as well, which I'd hope is true. Not sure why Sauber would block Marussia though.

Actually, I have my doubts that Sauber (and STR) would get any say in the matter - it's the F1 Strategy Group, so surely only the Big Five and Force India would have the vote?

Yeah, I forgot the strategy group even existed. That's a good thing, I don't want to f***ing remember the strategy group either.

AustralianStig wrote:The short-sighted selfishness of the other teams makes me sick. Once again the sport that I love has metaphorically kicked me in the balls.

We F1 rejects fans really are masochists aren't we?

Anyone who supports underdogs can be classified as a masochist for me. Most of the time, the underdogs will lose, but whenever they finally break through (for example Sunderland's great escape from relegation last Premier League season), it's completely worth it supporting them.

As long as the FIA's president is by the name of Jean Todt and FOM is still mostly run by Bernie, F1 is f***ed. Let's face it, Todt is too busy twiddling his thumbs in a chair lazy as usual to do anything, and Bernie is showing no signs of becoming more intelligent. As long as the strategy group exists, which for me is as long as Todt and Bernie are involved with the sport, the teams can directly play a part in ramming F1 further into the depths of Tartarus. Simply because of their selfish agendas. Who can blame Force India for wanting a share of cash from Marussia's original prize money, when they're not in a rose garden themselves? The strategy group essentially allows selfish people too caught up in their own soap opera to block anything they please just for their own cause. It's almost like the United States' original Articles of Confederation, which gave too much power to the states. Anything willing to be passed into law which wasn't unanimously agreed between the states had to be blocked. The strategy group is in the same situation with the top six teams. Turns out F1 doesn't need Hades to send F1 to Tartarus himself. Luckily for the United States back in the 1780s, leading political figures actually found a solution to the problem. At the moment, F1 does not look in the same way, unless massive deterioration occurs.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The car counts will need to dwindle to the single digits for F1 teams to act at this rate... -_-
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1995: "F1 needs 13 teams."
2015: "F1 needs 10 teams."
2035: "F1 needs 7 teams."
2065: "F1? One league the clear-cut top flight of four-wheeled motorsport, those were the days...."
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Waris

Post by Waris »

Hoping somebody will buy back the 2015 cars from whoever bought them, or maybe that it turns out to be an enthusiast who simply donates the cars back to the time (not likely, but eh) and they develop them to be ready for at least the 4th race of the season.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Waris wrote:Hoping somebody will buy back the 2015 cars from whoever bought them, or maybe that it turns out to be an enthusiast who simply donates the cars back to the time (not likely, but eh) and they develop them to be ready for at least the 4th race of the season.

Well, those 2015 weren't nearly completed, so it would probably still takes months to complete them. It could make it easier to get a compensation, but i'm not sure if using 2 different chassis during a season is even permitted nowadays?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!