F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by watka »

Kind of difficult with such a blank canvas: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6519849
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6519976

I thought to make the two southern turns (at 2 km and 3.6 km) tighter, but with straights that long, run-off was more important (however slow the cars may actually be).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

My attempt, made to fit within Formula E limits even though the challenge does not state it:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2XVM34vDig.kalYwO0RpWk8
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6520141

For my standards, this is bloody simple!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
W12

Post by W12 »

Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Its been a few days since the last entry so im going to start reviewing the entries

Results should be up Friday evening any entries are still welcome
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6524223

I was never good at making tracks anyways......
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Well done to all the entrants its quite difficult in rating the tracks

Results

14.dr-baker - its going to be a fast track but its just an oval, so i cant really say much
13.go_Rubens - Good effort but i think it is a bit too simple to have a good race one
12.W12 - Same as above
11.WaffleCat - Cant see the track generating too much overtaking
10.tBone - Track doesnt seem to flow very well the last half off the track around the airfield works but not through the city
9.AdrianBelmonte_ - I like the corner after the long straight and around 2KM not a fan of the chicane before the start
8.Normal32 - I like the section around the 5km Mark but around the start seem a bit mickey mouse
7.mrfakeboullier - Like the long sweeping bend can see cars picking up a bit of speed but not a fan of the 90 degree corners
6.Simtek - Again too many 90 degree corners but a do like the section before the 1km mark and the corner around the 2km Mark
5.roblomas52 - The track reminds me of Knockhill and i am a fan of the scottish track
4.UgncreativeUsergname - A fast track liking the bus stop chicane although the Hairpin turn a 4km looks a bit tight
3.watka - Like the turn between the 2nd and 3rd Km as well as the quick chicane before the start
2.TheFlyingCaterham  - Hairpin at the 1st mile mark looks good for overtaking like the sweepers before the last hairpin not too sure about the chican though
1.Nuppiz - I like this effort a lot the sweeping corners at the end of the track, turns 1 and 2 i like and also the hairpin before 3km

Congratulations Nuppiz
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Well then, it's not often that I win something!

One of the previous challenges was based on countries with poor human rights records, and included Burundi. However, no-one attempted to create a track there, and with my fictional driver Egide Ngendandumwe making a career for himself, I've decided to set this challenge there. The rules are:

• The country is poor, and they can't afford to build new roads. However, you can use existing roads to whatever extent you please, as long as they lock on to one of Pedometer's automatic options (runners/cyclists).
  • Track length must be between 4 and 7 kilometres.
  • You must stay within the borders of Burundi. Any excursions to neighboring states will result in an immediate disqualification.
  • As a somewhat avid sim racer, I'll rate the tracks based on how enjoyable they could be to drive on. I'm giving you one hint: I don't like 90-degree corners.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Nuppiz wrote:I don't like 90-degree corners.

I wonder if there's anyone here that does. I'd love to meet them.

Tonight I learned that Bujumbura is 1 km above sea level, which of course makes for a cooler climate than most places this close to the Equator. This particular design has a staggering 150 m drop in elevation: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=385815
#FreeGonzo
tBone

Post by tBone »

Muramvya International Raceway: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6525529
YOUR
LOGO

Here
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Gitega:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6525537
Most of these roads would be great for rally cars, but the rule was if it's on the map, you can use it....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Here's the Nyanza Street Circuit ... because Simtek beat me to using the roads around Boulevard du 28 Novembre.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6525650
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Street circuit in the capital

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6525697
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Makamba Street Circuit

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=6525707&rf=1

I feel like I had a better layout than this, but that layout was around 60 metres over the allowed length :/
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6525866

Tried to keep the 90-degree bends to a minimum, and there would have been fewer had there not been a 7-km limit.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6526165

quite difficult trying not to include any 90 degree bends
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Another street circuit in Bujumbura.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6528148
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Fast jinking circuit built around Bururi: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6528156
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

A fast track with some sub 50 m elevation change near Gitega.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6529227
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6530040

If this track is deemed too close to Simtek's track, I'll make another one.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Bobby Doorknobs

go_Rubens wrote:http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6530040

If this track is deemed too close to Simtek's track, I'll make another one.

Very cheeky. :P
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Right, here's the standings.

DSQ andrew. Too short by over one kilometer, and makes a figure-8 which is rather dangerous for a race track without overpasses.

17. AdrianBelmonte_. Very twisty with lots of tight corners and only one longer straight. This would definitely keep a driver on his toes, but some of the corners are perhaps too tight to take in almost any racing car.

16. mrfakeboullier. A start-and-stop track with nothing but straights and sharp corners. I can't see myself liking this in any case.

15. novitopoli. Like the previous track, most of the track consists of straights broken up by extra.tight corners. It does have a long straight and an interesting combination after the 5-kilometre mark, but there's just too much starting and stopping to make this circuit enjoyable.

14. Simtek. While it has a number of sweeping corners, it only features one straight and loads of extremely sharp corners sometimes even exceeding 90 degrees.

13. More_Blue_Flags. A very square track with a number of 90-or-over-degree corners. The section between 3 and 4 kilometres looks quite interesting, but elsewhere the track looks rather unspiring.

12. roblomas52. Two huge, curved straights broken up by a medium to low speed complexes at both ends. Overall there's just lack of variety, and another too-tight hairpin at the 3 kilometre mark.

11. AxelP800. While it features two curved straights and some interesting sections in after the 2 and 3 kilometre markers, ultimately much of the track is just 90-degree turns with some more rounded than others.

10. peteroli34. The 90-degree turns are well placed to slow down cars in what would otherwise be just a long curved straight. There's a couple of medium-speed corners where getting the apex right would be crucial for a good laptime. However, overall ot does lack a bit in variety.

9. Normal32. A long front straight with a wide Curva Grande-style turn comes to a screeching halt in an extremely tight, almost 180-degree hairpin. The rest of the track offers a mixture of medium to slow speed corners in a layout that has its good points, but ultimately deels a bit bland.

8. Bleu. There's some good parts in this, like the 45-degree turn near the start, the sweeps near the 2-kilometre mark and the long back straight with a kink in it. However, although it was necessary to put it there as there were no alternatives the double 90-degree turn does break the flow of the circuit, and the hairpin at the end is simply too tight.

7. TheFlyingCaterham. The first three and a half kilometres look nice, with a mixture of corners of all speeds. However, it then goes into a very square section for the next couple of kilometres before the very weird bit before 6 kilometres.

6. dr-baker. I like the shoreline boulevard run with its curved straight and medium-speed corners, and am OK with it ending in a 90-degree corner as there was simply no another alternative. The rest of the track, while looking relatively simple with straights and slow corners, does retain enough flow for the track to be placed this high on the scoreboard.

5. UgncreativeUsergname. I very much like the long, winding turns in the mid-section of the track. The remainder of the track isn't too bad either, as it offers some challenging low-speed turns.

4. Benetton. A more unique entry amongst the mainly city-based tracks, this countryside track somehow reminds me of El Capitan in GT4. A good selection of curved straights, medium and high speed corner is balanced by a couple of slower corners, but I think that the tight hairpin at around 1.7 kilometres is perhaps a bit too tight.

3. go_Rubens. I like this track as it offers a bit of everything. It has straights, it has low-speed turns, it has hairpins both wide and narrow, it has long sweeping corners. Setting up a car for this track would be a real challenge, and the overall feel is slightly dampened only by the extra-tight hairpin at the 2.5 kilometre mark.

2. watka. Offering a wide variety of corners, this track has loads of natural flow in it which isn't really broken anywhere. I can't really find bad things to say about this track.

1. tBone. However, this track offers everything watka's track does with additional sections that allow for relatively high speeds while still offering tons of challenge. This track is all about flow and it really isn't broken anywhere as even the tighter corners are in places where they are simply needed to prevent the cars from going too fast.

So yeah, I'm declaring tBone as the winner of this challenge. Congratulations!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Nuppiz wrote:Right, here's the standings.

DSQ andrew. Too short by over one kilometer, and makes a figure-8 which is rather dangerous for a race track without overpasses.

17. AdrianBelmonte_. Very twisty with lots of tight corners and only one longer straight. This would definitely keep a driver on his toes, but some of the corners are perhaps too tight to take in almost any racing car.

16. mrfakeboullier. A start-and-stop track with nothing but straights and sharp corners. I can't see myself liking this in any case.

15. novitopoli. Like the previous track, most of the track consists of straights broken up by extra.tight corners. It does have a long straight and an interesting combination after the 5-kilometre mark, but there's just too much starting and stopping to make this circuit enjoyable.

14. Simtek. While it has a number of sweeping corners, it only features one straight and loads of extremely sharp corners sometimes even exceeding 90 degrees.

13. More_Blue_Flags. A very square track with a number of 90-or-over-degree corners. The section between 3 and 4 kilometres looks quite interesting, but elsewhere the track looks rather unspiring.

12. roblomas52. Two huge, curved straights broken up by a medium to low speed complexes at both ends. Overall there's just lack of variety, and another too-tight hairpin at the 3 kilometre mark.

11. AxelP800. While it features two curved straights and some interesting sections in after the 2 and 3 kilometre markers, ultimately much of the track is just 90-degree turns with some more rounded than others.

10. peteroli34. The 90-degree turns are well placed to slow down cars in what would otherwise be just a long curved straight. There's a couple of medium-speed corners where getting the apex right would be crucial for a good laptime. However, overall ot does lack a bit in variety.

9. Normal32. A long front straight with a wide Curva Grande-style turn comes to a screeching halt in an extremely tight, almost 180-degree hairpin. The rest of the track offers a mixture of medium to slow speed corners in a layout that has its good points, but ultimately deels a bit bland.

8. Bleu. There's some good parts in this, like the 45-degree turn near the start, the sweeps near the 2-kilometre mark and the long back straight with a kink in it. However, although it was necessary to put it there as there were no alternatives the double 90-degree turn does break the flow of the circuit, and the hairpin at the end is simply too tight.

7. TheFlyingCaterham. The first three and a half kilometres look nice, with a mixture of corners of all speeds. However, it then goes into a very square section for the next couple of kilometres before the very weird bit before 6 kilometres.

6. dr-baker. I like the shoreline boulevard run with its curved straight and medium-speed corners, and am OK with it ending in a 90-degree corner as there was simply no another alternative. The rest of the track, while looking relatively simple with straights and slow corners, does retain enough flow for the track to be placed this high on the scoreboard.

5. UgncreativeUsergname. I very much like the long, winding turns in the mid-section of the track. The remainder of the track isn't too bad either, as it offers some challenging low-speed turns.

4. Benetton. A more unique entry amongst the mainly city-based tracks, this countryside track somehow reminds me of El Capitan in GT4. A good selection of curved straights, medium and high speed corner is balanced by a couple of slower corners, but I think that the tight hairpin at around 1.7 kilometres is perhaps a bit too tight.

3. go_Rubens. I like this track as it offers a bit of everything. It has straights, it has low-speed turns, it has hairpins both wide and narrow, it has long sweeping corners. Setting up a car for this track would be a real challenge, and the overall feel is slightly dampened only by the extra-tight hairpin at the 2.5 kilometre mark.

2. watka. Offering a wide variety of corners, this track has loads of natural flow in it which isn't really broken anywhere. I can't really find bad things to say about this track.

1. tBone. However, this track offers everything watka's track does with additional sections that allow for relatively high speeds while still offering tons of challenge. This track is all about flow and it really isn't broken anywhere as even the thighter corners are in paces where they are simply needed to prevent the cars from going too fast.

So yeah, I'm declaring tBone as the winner of this challenge. Congratulations!

Oh crud, I submitted the wrong one. 100% my fault but still rather amusing
tBone

Post by tBone »

Yay, my first win over here!

The next challenge will be The Hometown Challenge. I think we must all have thought of a track in our hometown. When I was about 6-8 years old, I used to create these little tracks in the place I was raised and ride my bicycle around there. As the race geeks we all are, I suppose your childhoods may have had something similar.

The rules are quite simple:
- The track must be based on roads in the town you live in, have lived in or were born in
- At least 75 % of the track must be created on existing roads
- Width of roads and obstacles like speed bumps will not be considered
- The track must be between 3,5 and 7 kilometres long
- I'll probably rate the tracks similarly to Nuppiz's method
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tBone wrote:
The rules are quite simple:
- The track must be based on roads in the town you live in, have lived in or were born in

This, I assume, can include our university towns, or boarding school towns? (I have never been to school in my home town - even my primary schools were several towns away. That's private education for you.)

And my universities were in Uxbridge and Kingston, in west and south-west London respectively. It would be a bit of a stretch to 'do' a track anywhere in London, wouldn't it? You would like us to at least stay in the same borough?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Too bad there's a limit to the length of the track, otherwise I could have just posted the road circuit that was used in Wicklow back in the '50s. :P

Anyway, here's my entry. A simple, high speed circuit.
#FreeGonzo
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6418809

A track in the Italian city I was born in. It's (quite loosely, indeed) inspired by the Bari Grand Prix track - one of the most important events in the Italian Grand Prix calendar in the late 40's - early 50's, contested and won by drivers such as Juan Manuel Fangio and Nino Farina. It somehow was a kind of a southern Italian Monaco GP: sadly its fame lasted only a few years, as the rise of the World Championship made Italy put most of its stakes on Monza (more infos here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bari_Grand_Prix ).

My track inherits from that nice, though too often forgotten, piece of Italian motorsport history the gorgeous "Lungomare" seaside section, combining it with long straights and challenging technical sections. Plus, it's run clockwise instead of counter-clockwise (as it was the case 6 decades ago).

Probably the best my hometown has to offer in terms of race tracks.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Chessington's not exactly blessed with great roads for this: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6545366
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I live in Singapore. It's a city-state, which means, technically, I could have had a real advantage, with the large area of land available. I could place one within the northwest farmlands of Lim Chu Kang, designed one within the heartlands of Toa Payoh and Ang Mo Kio (literal translation for Caucasian Bridge), or do another Marina Bay Street Circuit.

But, to be fair, I designed my circuit in the area where I lived in when I was shitting-diapers and throwing-up-everywhere young: Siglap and Chai Chee

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=394010

Honestly…the layout does not do this circuit justice. It's the elevation. The sections from 1.25-2.25 km and 4-5 km are filled with elevation changes all around, and work well combined with the twists and turns of this circuit.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=394020
A 6km street circuit around the suburb I live in. And although it is a suburban area, it actually has quite a bit of elevation.

EDIT: Cos why not, I'm going to go into some decent detail for this track.

You start off on a long, but relatively flat straight before you head into a right hander that leads downhill into a roundabout. For racing purposes, ima ignore the roundabout, because that just makes stuff awkward. Anyway, straight after the roundabout, you head into another right hander. The straight after this goes slightly downhill before you head into a gentle right hander, before the track starts turning left, which eventually tightens up into a corner that resembles a hairpin. After this corner, you head into a medium length straight that starts going slightly uphill, before you head into a left hander, which only needs a tap of the brake to get through safely. After this, you head onto another medium length straight before you come across a right hand kink that precedes a tight 90º right hander.
You then head onto another straight about the same length as the previous 2 straights before you head into another 90º right hander. After this, you head into a straight that curves to the right, going slightly uphill, before you head into a tight left hander that heads onto a short straight with a very steep hill. Right after this, you head into an awkward left hander that kinks to the right at the beginning and the end of the corner. After this you start going downhill on a very short straight, where you start going uphill through the next 2 right-handers. The track flattens out on the next straight, which is also very short. Following this straight is a tight left-hander which starts going uphill straight after the corner. After a medium length straight, the track starts flattening out a bit while braking through a right hand corner, as there is another tight right hander straight after the previous corner. At this point, the track is now going downhill. After a short straight, you head into a tight left hander. By this point, the track has flattened out again.
After this corner you go onto a very long "straight, with quite a few crests along the way of the "straight". There are also a few gentle corners along this "straight", as there is a gentle right hander shortly after the tight left hander that precedes the "straight", and a double-apex left hander at the bottom of a crest about halfway through the "straight". After the double-apex corner, the crests have flatten out as you head into a medium length straight. After the straight, you go through a long right hander heading uphill. There is a short straight after this corner, which heads into a tight righthander, which then heads back onto the main straight, which goes downhill until around the Namatjira Drive intersection.

Wow I didn't realise I could type a post this long :/
Last edited by TheFlyingCaterham on 03 Mar 2015, 23:09, edited 3 times in total.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.