RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: The Marussia Thread

Post by Backmarker »

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Speedweek claim the buyer is Gene Haas. The rationale is that Haas and Ferrari are among the creditors owed by Marussia: Haas buying them would essentially clear both those debts, and allow him to claim the 2014 prize money.

Would Haas then run Marussia and his own team the following year or just Marussia?

If, and it is a big if, Haas were to take over Marussia, it would make more sense to merge his resources into Marussia and make that into his team, rather than starting from scratch. He already owns the prototype car that Marussia made for 2015, along with their facilities, and both he and Marussia would have a common engine supplier (Ferrari), so there would be little value in duplicating everything and stretching his resources over two teams.

Also, as Marussia/Haas are guaranteed to finish at least 10th in 2015, by 2016 Haas will have collected the prize money for 2014 and 2015, which is a tidy sum (around $60m?)
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:Also, as Marussia/Haas are guaranteed to finish at least 10th in 2015, by 2016 Haas will have collected the prize money for 2014 and 2015, which is a tidy sum (around $60m?)

In theory Marussia are eligible for that prize money now, since they have finished in 10th place in the WCC twice in the past three years and would therefore be eligible for "Tier 2" payments.

However, whilst the contract they have with FOM allowed them to skip three races and still claim their prize money (in theory), technically the FIA has the right to strip a team of its entry rights if they fail to appear for one race, which would also strip them of their rights to any money under the Concorde Agreement.

The FIA could also declare that Marussia's entry rights were voided when the company entered administration, or otherwise decide that the team was a new constructor rather than a continuation of the existing team, which would again technically strip the team of any rights to prize money (along the lines of what happened to Sauber when BMW pulled out and voided their entry rights - the FIA classified Sauber as a new manufacturer and technically stripped them of their rights to prize money, although Bernie reportedly intervened to ensure Sauber were paid prize money).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

And I don't think he would take kindly to someone buying a team for the prize money. Especially since he would be making a loss.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If Haas ends up buying the team and runs it this season, I don't think Todt and the FIA will stand in their path. It keeps 20 cars on the grid in the interim before Haas proper entry comes into force, and bolsters the grid in case Sauber, Lotus or anyone else goes to the wall in 2015.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:If Haas ends up buying the team and runs it this season, I don't think Todt and the FIA will stand in their path. It keeps 20 cars on the grid in the interim before Haas proper entry comes into force, and bolsters the grid in case Sauber, Lotus or anyone else goes to the wall in 2015.

Nice photo's by the way. For a moment I thought the signs and roads ones in England and the Gambia were a bit of a random addition, but I quite liked them to be honest.
Just For One Day...
RLeb

Post by RLeb »

So, if Haas was to invest in Marussia, it would be a bit like how BAR invested in Tyrrell in 1998, to prepare for BAR's debut in 1999.

Still a shame, as Marussia would simply evolve into Haas in 2016, and we would be still end up short 1 team.
"The sport is more important than anything, more important than any of the people in it." - Gilles Villeneuve
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RLeb wrote:So, if Haas was to invest in Marussia, it would be a bit like how BAR invested in Tyrrell in 1998, to prepare for BAR's debut in 1999.

Still a shame, as Marussia would simply evolve into Haas in 2016, and we would be still end up short 1 team.

So which driver would be closest to being able to fulfil Riccardo Rosset's role in the driver line-up?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dr-baker wrote:
RLeb wrote:So, if Haas was to invest in Marussia, it would be a bit like how BAR invested in Tyrrell in 1998, to prepare for BAR's debut in 1999.

So which driver would be closest to being able to fulfil Riccardo Rosset's role in the driver line-up?

Tough one
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

golic_2004 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Tough one

In trying to answer my own question, I would suggest Milka Duno, because she's South American like Rosset. ;) Or perhaps Danica Patrick, because she's American, and I think Haas is looking for American drivers?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

golic_2004 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Tough one

Someone would have to fill the Tyrrell and Verstappen roles too
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

FullMetalJack wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So which driver would be closest to being able to fulfil Riccardo Rosset's role in the driver line-up?

Tough one

Well, Verstappen could fill Verstappen role.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DanielPT wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So which driver would be closest to being able to fulfil Riccardo Rosset's role in the driver line-up?

Well, Verstappen could fill Verstappen role.

He could if he was nixed by the team in favour of someone shite causing the team boss to leave a year early.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Alex Rossi had been kicking around that he was in discussions with Gene Haas for a little bit now. Over here we all thought he was talking about for 2016 though. So this does add up a bit. And if any NASCAR driver comes over it will be Kurt Busch, not Danica. He impressed at Indy this year.

I personally hopes this happens, Marussia was my favorite non-RBR team. Fingers crossed here. But as others have said, it makes way too much sense to happen.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

One rumour is that Ferrari could be interested in buying the team. Gutierrez and Marciello could be a potential lineup, with Gutierrez's Mexican sponsors, and Marciello as part of the Ferrari driver academy
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Rumours of a Mexican-backed Ferrari B-team have been kicking around for years. I'll believe it when I see it.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Autosport have confirmed that Haas isn't involved with reviving the team. He's bought the factory, and will only start using it once everything in there that is due to be sold has been cleared out. So that rules him out. Autosport take a wild punt at the end of their article and toss the Ferrari B team rumour into the ring. Not sure how far that one will go though.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

I think Ferrari could be really interested to acquire the team, also after that the Forza Rossa project has been aborted (even if Ferrari officially would not be directly involved). In Italy in the last few years the media pushed for it, also for help Ferrari political force, in order to contrast the two Red Bull team and have a major political weight
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:Autosport have confirmed that Haas isn't involved with reviving the team. He's bought the factory, and will only start using it once everything in there that is due to be sold has been cleared out. So that rules him out. Autosport take a wild punt at the end of their article and toss the Ferrari B team rumour into the ring. Not sure how far that one will go though.

NBC is reporting it as well, with Haas basically saying "Why would I rush in?" Which, while a good point, still stinks.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

If it's not Haas and if it's not Ferrari, then I think that it's safe to assume that it's Quantum Racing
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:If it's not Haas and if it's not Ferrari, then I think that it's safe to assume that it's Quantum Racing

Who's Quantum Racing? Googling them only produces manufacturers of suspensions, and a seller of sails.
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

dr-baker wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:If it's not Haas and if it's not Ferrari, then I think that it's safe to assume that it's Quantum Racing

Who's Quantum Racing? Googling them only produces manufacturers of suspensions, and a seller of sails.

They were the group that were going to buy into Lotus, but never did.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

They were the group that were going to buy into Lotus, but never did.

Ah, OK. Thank you. What else are they involved with? Are they the same as the suspension manufacturers that I Googled?
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

If it's Quantum Racing then it is safe to say that nothing will happen.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Alright, who are you people and what have you done with the F1 Rejects members? I make reference to the single most rejectful team ownership episode since a Nigerian prince tried to buy into Arrows, and nobody gets it?

dr-baker wrote:What else are they involved with? Are they the same as the suspension manufacturers that I Googled?

They're not involved with anything, and nor are they the suspension manufacturers you mentioned. They were a consortium of investors who strung Lotus along for six months with the promise of a $200 million investment that never eventuated.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:Alright, who are you people and what have you done with the F1 Rejects members? I make reference to the single most rejectful team ownership episode since a Nigerian prince tried to buy into Arrows, and nobody gets it?

dr-baker wrote:What else are they involved with? Are they the same as the suspension manufacturers that I Googled?

They're not involved with anything, and nor are they the suspension manufacturers you mentioned. They were a consortium of investors who strung Lotus along for six months with the promise of a $200 million investment that never eventuated.

Gosh, how could I have forgotten that?! :oops:
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:

If it's Quantum Racing then it is safe to say that nothing will happen.

Maybe Quantum Racing leaps it's drivers into other drivers at different points in time.

Ask your Dads if you need to :(
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Maybe Quantum Racing leaps it's drivers into other drivers at different points in time.

Ask your Dads if you need to :(

I am aware of that show although only via Internet about a year ago. It aired in Portugal some years after the US but somehow I never noticed it.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Quantum sort of just fizzled into the ether of background F1 knowledge... now, if you had gone with QADBAK...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Salamander wrote:Quantum sort of just fizzled into the ether of background F1 knowledge... now, if you had gone with QADBAK...

Exactly who I was thinking of! They stuffed over Notts County too.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

If you ask me, if not Haas or a Ferrari B-Team or Quantum, that leaves only one possible buyer...

Zoran Stevanovic

You heard it here first...

(Whats he up to nowadays anyway?)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Captain Hammer wrote:Alright, who are you people and what have you done with the F1 Rejects members? I make reference to the single most rejectful team ownership episode since a Nigerian prince tried to buy into Arrows, and nobody gets it?

While the decline of the site has a lot to do with it, I must admit that it went over my head as well.

For rejectness, why not Branson again? Start the whole cycle anew? :D

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

What are Prodrive doing these days? They're building an enormous new factory - maybe its to house an F1 team? ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AndreaModa wrote:What are Prodrive doing these days? They're building an enormous new factory - maybe its to house an F1 team? ;)

I believe they run the works Aston Martin team in the WEC.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Marussia could use a factory in Sheffield, it will be named Manor and the mysterious investor seem to be indian, with Ferrari could help.Will Stevens is in Pole Position, the team is searching only for a pay driver. Ecclestone is pushing hard for save both Marussia and Caterham
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

f1andrea wrote:Marussia could use a factory in Sheffield, it will be named Manor and the mysterious investor seem to be indian, with Ferrari could help.Will Stevens is in Pole Position, the team is searching only for a pay driver. Ecclestone is pushing hard for save both Marussia and Caterham

Haha, would LOVE to see Will Stevens on pole postion in Melbourne! (I know that's not what you meant, but that's what came to my mind!...)
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

f1andrea wrote:Marussia could use a factory in Sheffield, it will be named Manor and the mysterious investor seem to be indian, with Ferrari could help.Will Stevens is in Pole Position, the team is searching only for a pay driver. Ecclestone is pushing hard for save both Marussia and Caterham

That's an unusually specific rumour.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

For those out of the loop with the Quantum stuff...

The organization is actually called Quantum Motorsport. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

They could have at least called themselves SPECTRE.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The BBC's live commentary on testing day four wrote:BREAKING NEWS
Posted at 09:30

The Marussia team's chances of returning to Formula 1 this season have increased.

The team ceased trading last November but there is now a plan for them to come out of administration on 19 February and receive new investment.

Administrators FRP Advisory said the company was making "progress towards a longer-term viable solution".

Marussia's president Graeme Lowdon has sourced new investors, the identity of which is not yet known.

I'll believe any of this when I see it, mind. And at this late stage, and having to use the 2014 car, surely an HRT-esque performance and enforcement of the 107% rule (which will be even harder given that Mercedes are going to be a huge amount faster this year...) would be certain to follow...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"