2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Collieafc

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by Collieafc »

Simtek wrote:Alonso expected to be confirmed at McLaren in the next week

Havent they been saying that since Vettel announced his departure from Red Bull?

Maybe its the whole "if you repeat a lie so many times it becomes true?"

Part of me is expecting it to drag so long that:
a) Button or Magnussen walk because they are sick of waiting for confirmation of a drive
b) The Alonso deal falls through due to "change of priorities/difference of opinion/contractual obligations/political differences" (Or any other generic reason)
c) Both Button and K-Mag are booted in favour of Alonso\Vandoorne
d) All of the above. At the same time. (probably coupled with something similarly illogical like signing Raikkonnen from Ferrari)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Collieafc wrote:

Havent they been saying that since Vettel announced his departure from Red Bull?

a) Button or Magnussen walk because they are sick of waiting for confirmation of a drive
b) The Alonso deal falls through due to "change of priorities/difference of opinion/contractual obligations/political differences" (Or any other generic reason)
d) All of the above. At the same time. (probably coupled with something similarly illogical like signing Raikkonnen from Ferrari)

Where would they walk to? While Button is likely to pick up a WEC drive, he would prefer to be in F1. Magnusessen has no options available to him, as far as I can tell. If he goes to the WEC, then he's burning his bridges with McLaren, and would be unlikely to be able to go back to F1. Button will wait so that he doesn't scupper his only chance for an F1 seat; Magnussen will wait so that he can still pick up a testing role if he doesn't get the seat, with a view to moving back into McLaren when Button retires.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Flippin hell at this rate Gary Paffett's going to get the drive...

..right after he leaves the team of course :lol:
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

The best way to focus the team on Alonso is not to literally make it a one-car team.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It is a disgraceful behaviour from McLaren. I always had in mind that McLaren used to be somewhat harsh but fair with its drivers. But this is just ridiculous. It also confirms that Magnussen is only within a shout because he will bring some sponsors to the team. How far McLaren have fallen. Hope Alonso can bring them back to their feet.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:
Collieafc wrote:

Where would they walk to? While Button is likely to pick up a WEC drive, he would prefer to be in F1. Magnusessen has no options available to him, as far as I can tell. If he goes to the WEC, then he's burning his bridges with McLaren, and would be unlikely to be able to go back to F1. Button will wait so that he doesn't scupper his only chance for an F1 seat; Magnussen will wait so that he can still pick up a testing role if he doesn't get the seat, with a view to moving back into McLaren when Button retires.

At this rate, you have to wonder who benefits from the persistent delays in the driver line up being finalised. This messy situation can't be inspiring confidence in any of the prospective drivers, or Honda for that matter, nor will it be encouraging to prospective team sponsors that might want to associate themselves with a particular driver. We have the weird situation where Button and Magnussen are still currently taking part in sponsor events for McLaren, even though neither driver is officially confirmed for 2015...

Asides from that, we are probably less than two months away from the first test being held (assuming that the first test is held in late January, like this year) - you would have thought that a team like McLaren would have wanted a decision to have been made by now to enable any new drivers to bed into the team ahead of the first test. The only parties that are likely to gain from this will be McLaren's rivals...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Hang-tight Jenson. Make Ron sweat!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm reading into this that maybe it isn't all signed and sealed with Alonso after all. Especially when I read that McLaren didn't want him doing Le Mans.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Joe Saward reckons that the delay might have to wait until the shareholding issue with Ron Dennis is sorted. If Ron gets majority control then he'll pick the drivers without needing to consult the board. If he doesn't get the money together to buy the shares, then he'll have to go along with the rest of the board.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Backmarker wrote:Joe Saward reckons that the delay might have to wait until the shareholding issue with Ron Dennis is sorted. If Ron gets majority control then he'll pick the drivers without needing to consult the board. If he doesn't get the money together to buy the shares, then he'll have to go along with the rest of the board.

Which would mean that Ron disagrees with the board's current outlook :S
To make an educated guess, is Ron possibly against working with Alonso again, whilst Honda influences and other members are pushing for Button to stay?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Tank

Post by Tank »

Prior to the non-decision by the board, I kind of had the feeling that Honda wanted Jenson to stay at Mclaren for the next couple of years due to their previous association, whereas Ron wanted him out due to the fact Jenson was a high-profile acquisition by Martin Whitmarsh - Whitmarsh always showered Jenson with praise, yet Ron has never seemed totally convinced by him, as to do so would be to give Whitmarsh vague credit for doing something right!

No however, we have the non-decision by the board, which seems more like political manoeuvring by Ron to put himself in a stronger position within Mclaren in the medium term.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Not even Korea saw Korea coming

I've just been reading that the inclusion of Korea is to give the teams an extra engine as that amount of races (21)on the original schedule puts the allocation up to 5, even when Korea gets dropped.

Seriously.

They're putting Korea on the schedule knowing full well it won't happen just to cheat their own rules. This is becoming a bit like when I play Monopoly with my six year old and he comes up with all sorts of rules to get extra money from the bank or extra houses.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Not even Korea saw Korea coming

I've just been reading that the inclusion of Korea is to give the teams an extra engine as that amount of races (21)on the original schedule puts the allocation up to 5, even when Korea gets dropped.

Seriously.

They're putting Korea on the schedule knowing full well it won't happen just to cheat their own rules. This is becoming a bit like when I play Monopoly with my six year old and he comes up with all sorts of rules to get extra money from the bank or extra houses.

According to Autosport, it's slightly more complex than that. But essentially, if Korea isn't called off by Melbourne, then teams have the five engines.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Already Vettel has had driven one of the Scuderia's old cars. Ferrari have released some exciting footage!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Nice clip. I'm liking how it looks like there's a Shell garage to the side of the track. Maybe that's for the drivers to call in for Ginsters pasties.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:Nice clip. I'm liking how it looks like there's a Shell garage to the side of the track. Maybe that's for the drivers to call in for Ginsters pasties.

But don't forget, this is a Shell station in Italy. Instead of Ginsters, the drivers call in for a bottle of Aranciata and a calzone.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A lot of comments on there seem to be saying that they've changed their mind about him because of his overalls :P oh dear casual viewer.

Personally I'm not sure how Vettel will react being in not just a new team, but with Ferrari of all teams. He won't have the same pampered experience as he had at Red Bull, and (let's face it) the car is not guaranteed to be all that quick. My gut feeling tells me it may be a repeat of when Kimi left McLaren for Ferrari, that Vettel will take the money and not bother too much about expectations. I have a feeling there may be a very uninspiring set of races at Ferrari next year.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Rob Dylan wrote:A lot of comments on there seem to be saying that they've changed their mind about him because of his overalls :P oh dear casual viewer.

Personally I'm not sure how Vettel will react being in not just a new team, but with Ferrari of all teams. He won't have the same pampered experience as he had at Red Bull, and (let's face it) the car is not guaranteed to be all that quick. My gut feeling tells me it may be a repeat of when Kimi left McLaren for Ferrari, that Vettel will take the money and not bother too much about expectations. I have a feeling there may be a very uninspiring set of races at Ferrari next year.

I got the impression that Vettel had a genuine desire to drive for Ferrari and that it for emotional reasons it was always going to be the team he moved on to for a new challenge. Although time will tell how well he could put up with a rubbish car.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Is there a deadline for McLaren to announce their drivers for them to be eligible for 2015?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:Is there a deadline for McLaren to announce their drivers for them to be eligible for 2015?

Thursday the 12th March, 2015?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Is there a deadline for McLaren to announce their drivers for them to be eligible for 2015?

:lol: Thanks for that, you're quite the oracle.
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Ask a silly question... :P
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

He's actually not that far off the date - I believe that the teams do not have to officially notify the FIA of their driver line up until one week before the first race weekend of the season. As scruitineering, which would take place on the 12th March (i.e. before the first practise session), counts as part of the official race weekend, that would therefore mean that McLaren does not have to notify the FIA of their intended line up until the 5th March 2015.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Those teams can try to exploit it. Will it work? More importantly, will they avoid some punishment? It will be at least an entertaining start to '15.

I am actually more concerned about 2016 being just as boring (in terms of the very front of the grid competitiveness) as 2015 and 2014. And no, I didn't got the years wrong.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Ferrari and Renault need to realize that they cannot win all the time. Both of whom completely screwed themselves over developing their power unit while Mercedes did a fantastic job with the new regulations. Whose fault is that?

Mercedes have every right to deny Ferrari and Renault a relaxation on the engine freeze. The regulations are the same for everyone and Mercedes was completely fine interpreting the regulations well. Ferrari and Renault cannot say they did the same. They need to realize that being a sore loser and bitching every other second is doing nothing to help them catch up. Use the offseason to your own advantage, instead of nonstop complaining that "Oh, Mercedes have got more upgrades, maybe an extra 70bhp for them." C'mon guys. F1 requires more work than complaining to get your way. Work in order to catch up the way the regulations mandate instead of asking for changes, because the regulations are the regulations. I'm fed up with reading the complaining shite out of Red Bull and Ferrari.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

go_Rubens wrote:Ferrari and Renault need to realize that they cannot win all the time. Both of whom completely screwed themselves over developing their power unit while Mercedes did a fantastic job with the new regulations. Whose fault is that?

Mercedes have every right to deny Ferrari and Renault a relaxation on the engine freeze. The regulations are the same for everyone and Mercedes was completely fine interpreting the regulations well. Ferrari and Renault cannot say they did the same. They need to realize that being a sore loser and bitching every other second is doing nothing to help them catch up. Use the offseason to your own advantage, instead of nonstop complaining that "Oh, Mercedes have got more upgrades, maybe an extra 70bhp for them." C'mon guys. F1 requires more work than complaining to get your way. Work in order to catch up the way the regulations mandate instead of asking for changes, because the regulations are the regulations. I'm fed up with reading the complaining shite out of Red Bull and Ferrari.

It's Formula One, they'll do just about anything if it has even the slightest chance of gaining an advantage. The engineers work behind the scenes to extract the best possible performance while their bosses complain in public about their rivals having an "unfair" advantage in the hopes of changing the regulations in a way that benefits them. That's how F1 works. :P
#FreeGonzo
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Simtek wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Ferrari and Renault need to realize that they cannot win all the time. Both of whom completely screwed themselves over developing their power unit while Mercedes did a fantastic job with the new regulations. Whose fault is that?

It's Formula One, they'll do just about anything if it has even the slightest chance of gaining an advantage. The engineers work behind the scenes to extract the best possible performance while their bosses complain in public about their rivals having an "unfair" advantage in the hopes of changing the regulations in a way that benefits them. That's how F1 works. :P

I know :P

I do not expect the FIA to change the regulations. Hell, they shouldn't anyway. I don't think the FIA will change the regs simply because of assumptions being made by the press, Ferrari, and Renault, about how much bhp Mercedes's brand new upgrades for their power unit will bring. Why change the regulations based on assumptions? That's not going to do you any guaranteed good. Hell, nothing in F1 is guaranteed. I see the point Renault and Ferrari are trying to make. Is it valid? Yes, I feel they have something going for them. Should it happen for the regulations to be changed for their benefit? No. I look at Honda. They are having their troubles from what we know, and are they complaining like Christian Horner's big mouth? No. They're making do with what they can work with, both in terms of their resources and the regulations. And they're keeping a quiet mouth. They're doing their job. Renault and Ferrari must think they greatly influence F1 to be constantly trying to change the regulations.

I personally can't wait for Honda to break into F1 and smash Renault and Ferrari just to prove a point :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:

What will be interesting is how Honda manages to perform when the 2015 season comes round an the cars are racing in anger, because that could shift the relative power balance between the manufacturers.

If Honda can put themselves on a comparable footing with Mercedes right from the start, you would anticipate that Honda would probably then back Mercedes's position and lobby against a relaxation of the regulations. After all, not only would they potentially then have a competitive advantage locked in for themselves, I could also see them using it as an opportunity to steal customers from Renault or Ferrari - for example, Haas could be one potential target given that he has hinted he did consider other engine manufacturers before signing a deal with Ferrari.

On the other hand, if Honda were to find themselves on a level that was closer to that of Ferrari or Renault, you would assume that they would join them in lobbying the FIA for a relaxation of the homologation rules. I could see the FIA become a little concerned if they had three manufacturers pressuring them to adopt laxer regulations, which might be enough to tip the balance against Mercedes - after all, it would be one less team supporting them in the Strategy Group, and one more voice leaning on both the FIA and FOM to relax the regulations. The FIA might also take it as a sign that they might need to relax the homologation requirements to draw in new manufacturers, which would again potentially weaken Mercedes's standpoint on the issue.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

The new McLaren driver is going to be Jarno Trulli, driving both cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

SuzukiSwift wrote:The new McLaren driver is going to be Jarno Trulli, driving both cars.

Are the two cars going to be coupled together, like a train? Like a Trulli Train? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

dr-baker wrote:
SuzukiSwift wrote:The new McLaren driver is going to be Jarno Trulli, driving both cars.

Are the two cars going to be coupled together, like a train? Like a Trulli Train? ;)

Hmm, how would that work? If 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction', what would happen with 2 Trullis together? If one car was facing forwards and the other backwards, there's a danger that a black hole could be created?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30417196
McLaren declares it WILL announce it's driver line-up to the world TOMORROW!

World looks up from the paper it's reading whilst sat on the toilet and shrugs.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Hmm, how would that work? If 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction', what would happen with 2 Trullis together? If one car was facing forwards and the other backwards, there's a danger that a black hole could be created?

I think that we will begin to enter the realms of science fiction and we will see random extra generations of cars to the Trulli Train, so that by the chequered flag, there will be a train as long as the race track itself...
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Lots of rumours on Twitter that McLaren will be announcing Alonso/Button as their line-up for 2015 tomorrow.

As much as I like Button, if this happens, Magnussen's career will be ruined, simply because it would appear McLaren are positioning Stoffel Vandoorne as Button's successor for 2016. Mags has nowhere to go, unless he can try a Hulk and get himself a third driver gig somewhere, which are in very short supply.

Thanks a bunch Ron. He's treated both drivers awfully the last couple of months.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

No one wins in this really, if Button is chosen people will say that he has cut short a promising career for Magnussen, if Magnussen gets chosen it'll be a conspiracy to force out a driver who has been such a great ambassador for the sport. Mclaren needed this, ideally, to have been announced by Suzuka.

There they could have had some big press thing about the future with Honda and how they'll bring success and all that shite, giving times for the driver shafted to find something. With this it seems either go to WEC or another series. Really poor show from Mclaren it has to be said
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Fingers crossed tonight's rumours are true, and tomorrow's driver announcement from McLaren does indeed see Button confirmed as staying for 2015. I'm a big fan of his, and it would be great to see him get at least one more year!