Mattiacci walks already...

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Collieafc

Mattiacci walks already...

Post by Collieafc »

I thought I misread the headline! :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30179916

Discuss. My 2 pence says its a bit quick and letting a sponsor man take the reigns is not a recipe for success...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Shizuka

Re: Mattiacci walks already...

Post by Shizuka »

Ferrari seems to repeat their former selves from the nineties.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Collieafc wrote:I thought I misread the headline! :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30179916

Discuss. My 2 pence says its a bit quick and letting a sponsor man take the reigns is not a recipe for success...

I think that Mattiaci being a Montezemolo man in such an important place would be a problem for Marchionni. That they blamed him for Alonso leaving when they are hiring a four time world champion sounds like an excuse for it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Never seemed to be a fit in the first place. Either that or perhaps Vettel has been given full control of the team already and he's decided that he doesn't like Mattiacci. :lol:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Ferrari really going for shades of 1992 in 2015.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

So he's officially gone now? So I don't need to learn how to pronounce his name now? Result.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:So he's officially gone now? So I don't need to learn how to pronounce his name now? Result.

Mat-ee-atch-ee. ;)
#FreeGonzo
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

watka wrote:Never seemed to be a fit in the first place. Either that or perhaps Vettel has been given full control of the team already and he's decided that he doesn't like Mattiacci. :lol:

Ha Ha, lets start a new rumour, it was all Vettels fault, he made it a condition on joining the team lol.

Sky were talking about his departure while they were commentating the race, or at least mentioned it post race on Sunday night.
From recollection (I was drinking) , the way they were saying it was he was just a stop gap measure to finish out the year anyway, before they were going to build a new team next year, using someone with F1 experience, but he was just moving on to somewhere else in ferrari as he's a money man, not a f1 team manager man, and ferrari F1 team never have nor need to care about money it seems, so a bad fit in the first place.
(Yes they did mention the marlboro man at the time) I guess f1 sponsorship experience is something, but not along the lines I was thinking of.
E: or maybe its perfect. If PM are the only main sponsor (who can't advertise), after FA takes santander and no one cares about ferrari anymore, maybe they need someone who can lobby sponsorship? Replace a noodle with a tar noodle, whatever, no one cares.
Last edited by pablo_h on 24 Nov 2014, 16:03, edited 2 times in total.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:So he's officially gone now? So I don't need to learn how to pronounce his name now? Result.

Mat-ee-atch-ee. ;)

Mmmmattyaceecee?
Just For One Day...
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Simtek wrote:

Mat-ee-atch-ee. ;)

astrid (goodbye)
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I thought Mattiaci was Marchionne's man, and that he was placed in the position of Team Principal as a hatchet man. He was never going to stay long term, he was just Marchionne's pawn (or knight more fairly) in his attempt to clean house. Alonso and Di Montezemolo apparently had too much say in how Ferrari was being run and since the results were terrible, they had to go. Probably some less known names from what has now become the "previous" era.

Arrivabene comes with a great name i have to say, but he also seems like a temporary solution. I'm not really sure Brawn can be lured back, because i doubt he really wants another tenure. Arrivabene's job will probably be to help setup the team for 2016 when the engine formula will most likely change yet again, because Red Bull and Ferrari aren't winning and both will be negotiating with all strength they can muster that when they dominate it's good for F1, good for the fans, good for world peace, good for the enviroment and good for Uncle Bernie.

In a way Honda's performance in 2015 will be key, because if they and Mercedes are both strong, then Renault and Ferrari are in more trouble then they think. If Honda are not good enough to challenge Mercedes, they will probably side with their rivals and "negotiate" changes to the engine formula that will allow them to depose Mercs. Some tough issues are ahead for major teams, and it makes sense for Ferrari to give reigns to a guy who has a reputation for knowing his way around a negotiating table.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
mario

Post by mario »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I thought Mattiaci was Marchionne's man, and that he was placed in the position of Team Principal as a hatchet man. He was never going to stay long term, he was just Marchionne's pawn (or knight more fairly) in his attempt to clean house. Alonso and Di Montezemolo apparently had too much say in how Ferrari was being run and since the results were terrible, they had to go. Probably some less known names from what has now become the "previous" era.

Arrivabene comes with a great name i have to say, but he also seems like a temporary solution. I'm not really sure Brawn can be lured back, because i doubt he really wants another tenure. Arrivabene's job will probably be to help setup the team for 2016 when the engine formula will most likely change yet again, because Red Bull and Ferrari aren't winning and both will be negotiating with all strength they can muster that when they dominate it's good for F1, good for the fans, good for world peace, good for the enviroment and good for Uncle Bernie.

In a way Honda's performance in 2015 will be key, because if they and Mercedes are both strong, then Renault and Ferrari are in more trouble then they think. If Honda are not good enough to challenge Mercedes, they will probably side with their rivals and "negotiate" changes to the engine formula that will allow them to depose Mercs. Some tough issues are ahead for major teams, and it makes sense for Ferrari to give reigns to a guy who has a reputation for knowing his way around a negotiating table.

There were those at the time who wondered if Mattiacci was really being given the reins at Ferrari more because it is seen as something that an individual has to have done to be in charge of the Ferrari group or the wider Fiat empire. As you say, there is probably a good chance that he will be shifted elsewhere within the company given the rumours that he was mainly brought into the senior management because of his connections with Us market traders, links that are very attractive given the planned floatation of Ferrari on the US stock market.

I'd also agree that Marchionne probably placed him there in order to clean out what he saw as the "old order" and impose his new management. To a certain extent, Mattiacci's appointment feels rather similar to that of Dragoni who, according to Forghieri, was only brought into Ferrari in order to find a way of pushing Surtees out of the team and then shuffled out of the team shortly afterwards. Perhaps Mattiacci was really only brought in because Marchionne wanted to find a way of driving out an influential driver that they no longer wanted, and could be dispensed with as soon as he had achieved their objective.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

He never really fit in my view, he was always in the shadows on the races I saw live, he never had that lead from the front style of Brawn for example
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Ferrari - not at all in crisis, then...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I thought Mattiaci was Marchionne's man, and that he was placed in the position of Team Principal as a hatchet man. He was never going to stay long term, he was just Marchionne's pawn (or knight more fairly) in his attempt to clean house. Alonso and Di Montezemolo apparently had too much say in how Ferrari was being run and since the results were terrible, they had to go. Probably some less known names from what has now become the "previous" era.

I find that rather unlikely. No way Mattiaci would have joined Ferrari under Luca di Montezemolo if he was someone else's man. Mattiaci probably went to Ferrari because Luca was eventually feeling the heat and tried to shift blame to Domenicali. That having failed only he was left to blame so and eventually was pushed out of Ferrari. Having not impressed Marchionne and not being his man or pawn or knight and being in such an important job it looks increasingly clear that his days as Team Principal are numbered. Also, there have been no news of Ferrari shuffling or swapping other staff lately so it is not so much of a hatchet job. I thing you are trying to see so deep into the whole situation that you are starting to mix it all up.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I very well could be, though i'm certain Mattiaci was placed in Ferrari by Marchionne and not Di Montezemolo.

Mattiaci was not an F1 guy and was initially a short term replacement for Domenicali. Since he was an outsider he could give an unbiased opinion of where the team was headed and what the problems/conflicts were all about. If he wasn't a hatchet man, he was going to help set the team up for their next phase and it's no secret that Marchionne wanted Di Montezemolo out. Alonso and Di Montezemolo had their ups and downs but ultimately Matteaci could afford to squeeze Alonso harder in their negotiations esp. since Alonso admitted he had lost motivation back in 2013 and Ferrari were trying hard to recruit Newey and Vettel.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I very well could be, though i'm certain Mattiaci was placed in Ferrari by Marchionne and not Di Montezemolo.

Mattiaci was not an F1 guy and was initially a short term replacement for Domenicali. Since he was an outsider he could give an unbiased opinion of where the team was headed and what the problems/conflicts were all about. If he wasn't a hatchet man, he was going to help set the team up for their next phase and it's no secret that Marchionne wanted Di Montezemolo out. Alonso and Di Montezemolo had their ups and downs but ultimately Matteaci could afford to squeeze Alonso harder in their negotiations esp. since Alonso admitted he had lost motivation back in 2013 and Ferrari were trying hard to recruit Newey and Vettel.

Maybe Di Montezemolo was weakening back then, but I sincerely doubt it. It was Di Montezemolo who placed Mattiacci after ousting Domenicali back in April. Why would he willingly place someone who would undermine him, who was his 'nemesis' guy, under his wings? Back then no one talked about Di Montezemolo leaving so everyone saw as Mattiacci being appointed by Luca himself. I know both Matiacci and Marchionne worked in North America although one at Ferrari and the other at FIAT, so I fail to see other connection between them. Sure Marchionne, as head of FIAT Chrysler, could have told Di Montezemolo who to appoint but somehow that doesn't seem like Luca Di Montezemolo to me and it doesn't seem like the autonomy Ferrari used to enjoy from FIAT. Also don't forget, you don't send a man of your confidence to do a job and then fire him immediately after you came through.

In a related note Jonathan Noble says one of the reasons for Mattiacci being dropped was a fall out he may have had with Bernie. And we all now what happens to people who have a fallout with Bernie (Adam Parr) and start to lose influence.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

DanielPT wrote:It was Di Montezemolo who placed Mattiacci after ousting Domenicali.

I've read the same, while his replacement, Arrivabene, is Marchionne's man.
First I thought Mattiacci was just moved on some place else to make a clean start/someone more suited to F1, but it seems he was a Montezemolo man and has been tossed outside with him.
Also the aero guy has been given the boot as next years car is most likely worse than this years one.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

pablo_h wrote:Also the aero guy has been given the boot as next years car is most likely worse than this years one.

More 'good' news for Vettel. Lewis decision, from a logical point of view, was reasonable and after that it looked better each passing day. Vettel is going through a similar process except that in his case things are getting worse by the minute. Fact is Ferrari has a lot of issues and none of them are going to disappear overnight. He looks set to wait for 2016 at the very earliest. I can sympathize with Fernando's decision. In awaiting god knows many more years at Ferrari or jumping ship to a totally unknown chance I too would prefer the latter at his age.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mattiacci was most likely brought in to clear the deadwood, make the harsh and unpopular decisions and then be moved on again for Marchionne's own man. Put it this way, Arrivabene has more F1 credentials on his CV. Mattiacci was the CEO of the North American operations. He was never meant to be there the whole time; he was there to tidy up the team, get rid of the people who were deemed the root of the problem using business rather than F1 experience, and then FIAT would pull him out again.

This way, the one with the hatchet man reputation is no longer in the team, and removing the people who were deemed "toxic" to the organisation are also gone. This is to improve the morale of the team; we all know Ferrari is a team that's not exactly brimming with confidence, so this whole "slash and soothe" charade makes sense.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Ataxia wrote:Mattiacci was most likely brought in to clear the deadwood, make the harsh and unpopular decisions and then be moved on again for Marchionne's own man. Put it this way, Arrivabene has more F1 credentials on his CV. Mattiacci was the CEO of the North American operations. He was never meant to be there the whole time; he was there to tidy up the team, get rid of the people who were deemed the root of the problem using business rather than F1 experience, and then FIAT would pull him out again.

This way, the one with the hatchet man reputation is no longer in the team, and removing the people who were deemed "toxic" to the organisation are also gone. This is to improve the morale of the team; we all know Ferrari is a team that's not exactly brimming with confidence, so this whole "slash and soothe" charade makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But you're missing the part that after being with Ferrari for 15 years, he's unemployed. Ferrari have given him the boot entirely, that's what we're talking about. IE Di Montezelomo hired him to do as you say, Marchionne doesn't want him in Ferrari, anywhere, at all.

So by following Di Montezemolo and taking the job on the F1 team, he has gone from being USA CEO, to ending his career in ferrari completely, due to linking himself with Di Montezemolo and the current F1 team disaster.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

pablo_h wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Mattiacci was most likely brought in to clear the deadwood, make the harsh and unpopular decisions and then be moved on again for Marchionne's own man. Put it this way, Arrivabene has more F1 credentials on his CV. Mattiacci was the CEO of the North American operations. He was never meant to be there the whole time; he was there to tidy up the team, get rid of the people who were deemed the root of the problem using business rather than F1 experience, and then FIAT would pull him out again.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But you're missing the part that after being with Ferrari for 15 years, he's unemployed. Ferrari have given him the boot entirely, that's what we're talking about. IE Di Montezelomo hired him to do as you say, Marchionne doesn't want him in Ferrari, anywhere, at all.

So by following Di Montezemolo and taking the job on the F1 team, he has gone from being USA CEO, to ending his career in ferrari completely, due to linking himself with Di Montezemolo and the current F1 team disaster.

I don't expect that'll be the case, he'll find work elsewhere in the FIAT/Ferrari structure I'd expect.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ataxia wrote:
pablo_h wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought. But you're missing the part that after being with Ferrari for 15 years, he's unemployed. Ferrari have given him the boot entirely, that's what we're talking about. IE Di Montezelomo hired him to do as you say, Marchionne doesn't want him in Ferrari, anywhere, at all.

I don't expect that'll be the case, he'll find work elsewhere in the FIAT/Ferrari structure I'd expect.

Perhaps. But it sounds ominous that Marchionne thanked Mattiacci for his service to Ferrari in the last 15 years and wished him well for his future. I must say it would be kind of weird for him to presented somewhere else in the FIAT/Ferrari structure by the same bloke who fired him and said that. Rumours had it that he was already in talks with Aston Martin and McLaren for a new gig.
Last edited by DanielPT on 26 Nov 2014, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

That is surprising. I didn't expect him to neccesarily move up in the Ferrari hierarchy but i didn't expect him to be thrown out either. I'd think he would move somewhere else in Ferrari after his stint as team principal. Maybe the temporary posting in the high pressure enviroment of the Scuderia F1 team was some sort of test of his abilities and he didn't manage to impress. Or maybe his dog took a dump on Marchionne or Ecclestones lawn. Or both if he's really unlucky.