The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Backmarker wrote:
Faustus wrote:
watka wrote:Trouble is, have they said how they intend to race at Abu Dhabi without any staff? Do they only have the race-day staff left or is it a case of the staff being made redundant but still working the grand prix weekend and then leaving? Or neither of these?

That is exactly what I was thinking. Colin Kolles' mob, maybe?

Mob is the word for it.

It's a mob I want to be part of. If you get into his nucleus of trusted individuals, you've got a job for life with a man who's essentially an F1 auditor. I love that idea.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Ataxia wrote:
Backmarker wrote:
Faustus wrote:That is exactly what I was thinking. Colin Kolles' mob, maybe?

Mob is the word for it.

It's a mob I want to be part of. If you get into his nucleus of trusted individuals, you've got a job for life with a man who's essentially an F1 auditor. I love that idea.

Nah, you have a job, then don't have a job, then do, then don't, then do, then don't....
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Backmarker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Mob is the word for it.

Nah, you have a job, then don't have a job, then do, then don't, then do, then don't....

A lot like real life, basically.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Now there are reports that Will Stevens will race for Caterham, with the other seat unconfirmed: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/210950/1/f ... dhabi.html

I give up. :roll:
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:Now there are reports that Will Stevens will race for Caterham, with the other seat unconfirmed: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/210950/1/f ... dhabi.html

I think the media literally have no clue either, and every couple of days release a new story linking Caterham to the next plausible driver in the list, a cycle that will continue until they finally tell us who is driving.

Up next in the rumour mill; Julian Leal, Giedo van der Garde & Takuya Izawa. You always need a random one in there to drum up interest.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:
Simtek wrote:Now there are reports that Will Stevens will race for Caterham, with the other seat unconfirmed: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/210950/1/f ... dhabi.html

I think the media literally have no clue either, and every couple of days release a new story linking Caterham to the next plausible driver in the list, a cycle that will continue until they finally tell us who is driving.

Up next in the rumour mill; Julian Leal, Giedo van der Garde & Takuya Izawa. You always need a random one in there to drum up interest.

I still think Mehri is a shoo-in but surely some bucks can be made spinning nonsensical stories about who is going to drive that Caterham. I will try my best then: Bruno Senna.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I've been off-world for a time having a baby (not literally) and now I return to see a, perhaps, unprecedented interest in potential drivers for a team that are highly unlikely to figure in Sundays race and are in all probability not going to be around next season.

Fantastic :D
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

They've been tweeting pictures all day of them setting up in Abu Dhabi, so I guess this must be happening! :?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'd love to see them not qualify within 107% after all this time :D it would be like good old Kolles.

I mean, has there been any development on that Caterham since Russia, or even Japan when the factory started losing bits? Will the car be fast enough to qualify on Saturday?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

DanielPT wrote:
Biscione wrote:

I still think Mehri is a shoo-in but surely some bucks can be made spinning nonsensical stories about who is going to drive that Caterham. I will try my best then: Bruno Senna.

I can't believe after all this no one has mentioned Sakon Yamamoto...
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Never mind him. I'm backing Jean-Denis Délétraz for a comeback.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Perhaps good old Stirling Moss can drive the thing. (he'd still be faster than Ericcson was, probably)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Karthikeyan or Yamamoto would make me happy :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Yuji Ide

:lol:
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Luca Badoer.
Bobby Doorknobs

Ferenc Szisz.
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Pedro de la Rosa. He's overdue yet another stint.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

HWNSNBM is the obvious choice.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Bobby Doorknobs

tristan1117 wrote:HWNSNBM is the obvious choice.

Aren't he and Ferenc Szisz the same person?
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/19/caterham-still-finalising-second-driver-deal-says-oconnell/

Important things here, Max Chilton will not be driving the second Caterham due to the recent Marussia revelation, but also Roberto Merhi apparently still doesn't have a full superlicence...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:I'd love to see them not qualify within 107% after all this time :D it would be like good old Kolles.

I mean, has there been any development on that Caterham since Russia, or even Japan when the factory started losing bits? Will the car be fast enough to qualify on Saturday?

They'll probably just about qualify, since it does seem that even the larger teams have slowed down a little on development work as focus shifts to 2015 instead - about the only major exception is McLaren, as they are using the MP4/29 as a test bed to try out components for 2015 and have therefore accelerated their development program.

On another note, what surprises me is that Bernie seems to have been putting in some effort to get Caterham back onto the grid - he is claiming that he not only charted an additional aircraft to take their freight to Abu Dhabi, but that he is completely writing off the charges for transporting their freight as well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30116227
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

He evidently wants them to survive. His hands are clearly tied in terms of how much aid he can offer, but if they can see the season out, it will no doubt be better for them.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

eagleash wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30131456

So now we know...

A good opportunity for Stevens, because I doubt he will ever get a second grand prix start.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Backmarker wrote:

So now we know...

A good opportunity for Stevens, because I doubt he will ever get a second grand prix start.

He may not get a first... :o
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:
This wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:... "what if all F1 constructors had to be named after cheese references?"....

To be honest, everybody would like to see that. Altough it reminds me of that potato guy we once had on this forum. :roll:

"And it's Alonso in the Wensleydale-Brie around the outside of Massa in the Jarlsberg-Cheddar!"

Yeah, I can see that catching on!

Well, in Formula E, you have e.DAMS as a member of FETA...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Backmarker wrote:

So now we know...

Hasn't really embarassed himself so far. I'm curious to see how he does in qualifying.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Will Stevens has ended up about half-a-second behind Kamui in Q1. Not really comparable to Andre Lotterer in Spa - different teammate and vastly different level of experience. Andre had driven Spa many times before, but I imagine Will has not driven Abu Dhabi much. And Will is still just emerging from the junior ranks. So given that, you would not necessarily expect Will to have done as well as Andre. So not bad, all things considered. Well within 107% too...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

At least he managed to qualify. Good luck to him tomorrow.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:Will Stevens has ended up about half-a-second behind Kamui in Q1. Not really comparable to Andre Lotterer in Spa - different teammate and vastly different level of experience. Andre had driven Spa many times before, but I imagine Will has not driven Abu Dhabi much. And Will is still just emerging from the junior ranks. So given that, you would not necessarily expect Will to have done as well as Andre. So not bad, all things considered. Well within 107% too...

All in all, it's a quite respectable performance given the circumstances in which he has made it onto the grid - he's probably hoping that he'll at least be able to do more laps than Lotterer did in Spa.

On another note, there was a comment that Brundle made during the build up to qualifying that I found interesting, and it turns on the number of races that the teams are allowed to miss. He was suggesting that there seem to be different contract terms in the contracts the teams have with FOM and with the FIA - FOM's contract is a little more flexible, since they state that a team can skip up to three races before they forfeit their all rights to prize money (although Chilton was suggesting that, if the team misses three races, they end up losing some of their prize money).

However, Brundle was suggesting that the contract the teams sign with the FIA that establishes their entry rights is actually much stricter than FOM's terms and allows the FIA to invalidate all entry rights if a team misses one race - which is why, in the past couple of races, the stewards reports have noted the absence of Marussia and Caterham and stated that this will be reported to Todt. Whether the FIA would go that far is another matter though...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

At the end, crowdfunding operation reached more than 100%: 2,354,334 of £2,350,000, thanks to 6466 Backers. Proud to be 1 of these 6466.
Will Stevens and Caterham will remain in Abu Dhabi also for young test sessions
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

f1andrea wrote:Will Stevens and Caterham will remain in Abu Dhabi also for young test sessions

This surprises me quite a bit because to save money, the team should stay away from testing. Then again, Stevens' backers may well have funded this test.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Yannick wrote:
f1andrea wrote:Will Stevens and Caterham will remain in Abu Dhabi also for young test sessions

This surprises me quite a bit because to save money, the team should stay away from testing. Then again, Stevens' backers may well have funded this test.

They probably found a few spare coins in the old dusty Fernandes couch that nobody had wanted in their office due to some obscure reason.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Maybe they raffled off the contents of the staff canteen to get the cash like they did the rest of their stuff?
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Good to see Caterham in the post season test. Not only this, but look at the Stevens times. Impressive work.

I hope Caterham survives and keeps him.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

In the same way Johnny Herbert was the Romford Rocket, might Will Stevens become the Rochford Rocket? After all, they're both Essex boys...
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Good to see Caterham in the post season test. Not only this, but look at the Stevens times. Impressive work.

I was quite surprised when I saw him that high up, but then noticed that his time (01:44.888) was only a bit better than his qualifying time on Saturday (01:45.095), so I think it's more a case of
everyone else was just slower. Here's hoping it will still persuade the would-be investors though ...
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

madmark1974 wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Good to see Caterham in the post season test. Not only this, but look at the Stevens times. Impressive work.

I was quite surprised when I saw him that high up, but then noticed that his time (01:44.888) was only a bit better than his qualifying time on Saturday (01:45.095), so I think it's more a case of
everyone else was just slower. Here's hoping it will still persuade the would-be investors though ...

Me too was surprised. O'Connell said that someone "who is linked in to Formula 1is interested. Somebody who actually knows it, and who wants to do it. If it's serious and it goes ahead then we'll announce things as soon as we can."
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

madmark1974 wrote:

Let's not forget that Max Chilton actually topped the timesheets on a day of testing this year!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

watka wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

Let's not forget that Max Chilton actually topped the timesheets on a day of testing this year!

It's sad that Chilton doesn't look to be getting a drive for 2015. Money talks....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in