2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:I think he meant dead heat in the race. With double points, a 17-point gap can't be matched, obviously ;)

Ooops. Of course it's not possible. I need to think a bit more maybe? :?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The FIA have decided to change the qualifying since Caterham are back, now 5 cars will exit after each session.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

Sirotkin and Frijns... LOL :D

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Oh shite :D Frijns was 0.035 away from the 107% limit there!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shizuka wrote:Oh shite :D Frijns was 0.035 away from the 107% limit there!

Which is impressive because he never actually drove the car. ;)
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Salamander wrote:

Indeed :

At the back, new boys Adderley Fong and Will Stevens made their respective debuts with Sauber and Caterham.
The Chinese rookie, who'll make way for Adrian Sutil from FP2 onwards, managed 1m 48.269s,
while the British Renault 3.5 race winner managed 1m 50.684s despite suffering technical issues that limited him to 14 laps.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Grosjean may as well not bother to race this weekend. :|

I see the stewards have found their new punching bag, now that they've got bored of penalising Mags. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

That *is* funny. But they have to penalise him somehow, and the aim of the power unit components related penalties is to cost a driver places.
It would be better for PR if he had to pedal the car for the first 5 laps, then FIA can ban the pedal propulsion system mid race, and force Romain back into his V6 turbo powered car to complete the race.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:Grosjean may as well not bother to race this weekend. :|

I see the stewards have found their new punching bag, now that they've got bored of penalising Mags. :|

Sorry, but that is just f***ing retarded. They need to re-think that for next year! What an utterly ludicrous rule!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Salamander wrote:

That's why I posted it; it's really a great effort from him!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The engine penalty rulework is standing in line for the 'Reject Of the Race Award' now.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Oh, and by the way, has there ever been anybody who has been a Team Principal for one single race weekend only? Is Finnbarr O'Connell really the first person to achieve this feat?

Most likely, he is the first administrator with a seat on the F1 pit wall ever.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yannick wrote:Oh, and by the way, has there ever been anybody who has been a Team Principal for one single race weekend only? Is Finnbarr O'Connell really the first person to achieve this feat?

Does anybody else think this guy turning up to play at F1 for a weekend sucks? Caterham should be barred from racing this weekend, they've become a farce. If an administrator deciding to pretend he knows what he's doing isn't bringing the sport into disrepute I don't know what is. I bet Andrea Moda is lounging back with a cocktail thinking "Mamma mia, whadda joke!"
Just For One Day...
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

CoopsII wrote:
Yannick wrote:Oh, and by the way, has there ever been anybody who has been a Team Principal for one single race weekend only? Is Finnbarr O'Connell really the first person to achieve this feat?

Does anybody else think this guy turning up to play at F1 for a weekend sucks? Caterham should be barred from racing this weekend, they've become a farce. If an administrator deciding to pretend he knows what he's doing isn't bringing the sport into disrepute I don't know what is. I bet Andrea Moda is lounging back with a cocktail thinking "Mamma mia, whadda joke!"

The team has shown up, Kobayashi has been on the pace he was before they took a haitus, Stevens hasn't embarrassed himself, the cars aren't detonating all over the track, and they are apparently still in discussions with several potential purchasers. I don't see where any farce of disrepute comes into it.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm just disappointed that the Marussias are not competing this weekend. If they do not turn up next year, I hope that their prize money will be used to help keep other teams afloat rather than boosting the wallets of Bernie and co. (regardless of Sauber overhauling Marussia in the championship).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

CoopsII wrote:

Nice reject spirit you got there.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Nice reject spirit you got there.

Very clever. I was all for Caterham as was but this new team appears to be functioning purely as a vehicle (pun intended) for this Finbarr geezer to promote himself and the companies he represents.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Nice reject spirit you got there.

Very clever. I was all for Caterham as was but this new team appears to be functioning purely as a vehicle (pun intended) for this Finbarr geezer to promote himself and the companies he represents.

Honestly, wasn't that what Fernandes was doing all along?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Nice reject spirit you got there.

Honestly, wasn't that what Fernandes was doing all along?

Its what they all do really and its what makes the F1 world go round but at least there appears to be a desire to race at the heart of it wheras this Caterham situation taken as a whole just reeks of cynicism and a desire to self-promote only.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Honestly, wasn't that what Fernandes was doing all along?

Its what they all do really and its what makes the F1 world go round but at least there appears to be a desire to race at the heart of it wheras this Caterham situation taken as a whole just reeks of cynicism and a desire to self-promote only.

I am willing to bypass all that IF the guy manages to sell Caterham properly and they are present in the first race next year. Some Fernandes clearly failed to...
Last edited by DanielPT on 21 Nov 2014, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:Very clever. I was all for Caterham as was but this new team appears to be functioning purely as a vehicle (pun intended) for this Finbarr geezer to promote himself and the companies he represents.

What companies? He's just trying to find someone to buy the team as far as I've gathered.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Very clever. I was all for Caterham as was but this new team appears to be functioning purely as a vehicle (pun intended) for this Finbarr geezer to promote himself and the companies he represents.

What companies? He's just trying to find someone to buy the team as far as I've gathered.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/11/formula-finbarr-caterham-administrator-turns-team-boss-to-lead-revival/
Just For One Day...
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Yannick wrote:The engine penalty rulework is standing in line for the 'Reject Of the Race Award' now.

How would you penalise Grosjean?
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
Salamander wrote:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/11/formula-finbarr-caterham-administrator-turns-team-boss-to-lead-revival/

Fair enough.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:
Yannick wrote:The engine penalty rulework is standing in line for the 'Reject Of the Race Award' now.

How would you penalise Grosjean?

Personally, I wouldn't. Punish the driver for things that are the driver's fault. Punish the team for things that are the team's fault (eg via points?). Punish the engine manufacturers for things that are their fault. How, I don't know. Financial penalties? Refusal for some upgrades?
MCard LOLA
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I guess if you fine the team, they will simply pay and the driver will race as normal and achieve normal results. The effect would be that a rich team is not affected, a poor team is hurt sufficiently and the FIA earns the money. But the car that has fresher components gets to race normally and has a reliability/performance advantage over cars that make their components last the agreed distance.

That is the problem, the car gets repaired while the others arent allowed to do so, and the penalties are there as a deterrent. Lotus, Red Bull, toro Rosso and Caterham had appaling reliability early in the year and went through their legal supply quicker than the rest. I can't pretend the way Grosjean's penalties stacked up isn't ridiculous, but it's accidental and ultimately a fair penalty for a team with miserable reliability.

It's not that Grosjean *needs* to be hurt, it's that others who are not replacing components can't be allowed to be hurt by another car having fresh bits. But yeah, ridiculous. 20/20 hindsights says that for the 1st year regulations should have been a little more permissive.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Grosjean may as well not bother to race this weekend. :|

I would assume that the main reason for a harsh penalty is, given that we have seen an increasing number of teams starting from the pit lane by opting for a full powertrain overhaul, is to cut that trend out - particularly given that, with the number of points on offer available being doubled for this race, teams might be more tempted to stick a fresh powertrain in to eke out a performance advantage (there have been complaints that some engines - Renault in particular - suffer quite badly from a drop off in power with use).

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I guess if you fine the team, they will simply pay and the driver will race as normal and achieve normal results. The effect would be that a rich team is not affected, a poor team is hurt sufficiently and the FIA earns the money. But the car that has fresher components gets to race normally and has a reliability/performance advantage over cars that make their components last the agreed distance.

That is the problem, the car gets repaired while the others arent allowed to do so, and the penalties are there as a deterrent. Lotus, Red Bull, toro Rosso and Caterham had appaling reliability early in the year and went through their legal supply quicker than the rest. I can't pretend the way Grosjean's penalties stacked up isn't ridiculous, but it's accidental and ultimately a fair penalty for a team with miserable reliability.

It's not that Grosjean *needs* to be hurt, it's that others who are not replacing components can't be allowed to be hurt by another car having fresh bits. But yeah, ridiculous. 20/20 hindsights says that for the 1st year regulations should have been a little more permissive.

I'd have to agree that the problem with simply applying a financial penalty to the team is that it can have a disproportionate effect on a team.

Even a midfield team, like Force India, would find it quite painful if they were forced into taking a fine for changing engine components, let alone the smaller outfits at the back who are already hurting financially. By contrast, a wealthier team like Red Bull could quite easily weather a fine for exceeding their engine allocation - I could in fact see wealthier teams essentially abusing such a system.

As it is now, Red Bull went to a lot of care to try and avoid exceeding their engine allocation for as long as possible when Vettel's engines and ERS's were approaching the end of their lives - if, by contrast, they could simply buy their way out of such a problem by paying a fine, they could probably quite easily simply throw a completely new powertrain in the back of their car and simply thrash it as hard as possible.
After all, the team already gets free engines as the works team, so it would essentially cost them just the FIA fine to get a new engine; they might well believe that the performance boost from using a fresh powertrain that is turned up to the max in each race was well worth the money spent in fines.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The logos plastered all over the Caterham makes for a hilarious livery! Reminds me of March at Canada in 1992! :lol:

Spot the difference:

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

CoopsII wrote:

Perhaps, but I am prepared to bet that at least one team makes a worse tactical decision with far-reaching effects during the race than Finnbarr manages - probably Williams ...
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AndreaModa wrote:The logos plastered all over the Caterham makes for a hilarious livery! Reminds me of March at Canada in 1992! :lol:

Spot the difference:

At least the Caterham is a nice green and white instead of various clashing colours. Also a lot of the logos on the Caterham have similar font philosophies compared to the March. It's just as desperate, but it looks all right.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
IceG

Post by IceG »

Anyone happen to see the slo-mo of Maldonado about 28 +/-1 mins from the end of FP2?

There was a red laser-light dot under the front centre of the car, like you see on surveying stations for registering the position, just visible on the track surface. Anyone have a clue as to its purpose? Measuring the ride height perhaps?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

IceG wrote:Anyone happen to see the slo-mo of Maldonado about 28 +/-1 mins from the end of FP2?

There was a red laser-light dot under the front centre of the car, like you see on surveying stations for registering the position, just visible on the track surface. Anyone have a clue as to its purpose? Measuring the ride height perhaps?

That's the aiming mechanism for when he needs to take another driver out of the race. He hasn't used it very much recently.

Seriously though, I don't know. Anyone?
#FreeGonzo
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I personally wouldn't mind seeing lots of stickers on the cars. Selling as much advertising space as is humanly possible is just as much a motor racing staple as is petrol. Or batteries... ok, times have changed.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I remember hearing say that McLaren always tries to hire the two best available drivers out there. Today's qualifying further confirmed that. Alonso and Button are the two best drivers available out there.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rosberg's reaction :|
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:Rosberg's reaction :|

That would be a great clip for the podcast's GMIF1P (even though it's technically not punditary...).
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Anyone happen to see the slo-mo of Maldonado about 28 +/-1 mins from the end of FP2?

Although I have not seen the footage in question, I'd agree, based on your description, that the most likely explanation is that it was a ride height measuring device (Lotus have been testing a few 2015 spec parts in free practise sessions, so it is plausible that it would be linked to that).

That was a very strange reaction from him indeed - for somebody normally perceived to be fairly level headed, the way that he snapped back at his engineer was rather out of character. In fact, I have to say that he has been a bit out of character this whole weekend so far and, if I'm honest, a little overbearing at times.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:

That was a very strange reaction from him indeed - for somebody normally perceived to be fairly level headed, the way that he snapped back at his engineer was rather out of character. In fact, I have to say that he has been a bit out of character this whole weekend so far and, if I'm honest, a little overbearing at times.

Y'see, I thought he was joking around...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Ataxia wrote:
mario wrote:

Yeah, that was how the BBC commentators took it.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:
mario wrote:

I thought that as well...
Everything's great.