US GP ROTR thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AllAmericanReject

Re: US GP ROTR thread

Post by AllAmericanReject »

Without question, the Reject of the Race is the World Feed, which gave us 10-frame-per-second picture quality and mismatched, muffled audio. They actually broadcast most of FP2 from the helicopter, when they realized they had a problem, but went back to the terrible ground equipment for qualifying and the race.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

roblomas52 wrote:I think it is unfair to give Perez ROTR because he has saved Marussia for another race. I will give ROTR to the state of the sport in general.

Ferrim wrote:Come on, you know that if things were business as usual, Pérez would be the ROTR for this one.

Which leads me to the question: how are we going to determine the "official" ROTR from now on?

Good question, I hope to have something hammered out in the chat tonight regarding it.

There simply won't be an official ROTR until Jamie and Enoch feel like it. Simple.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Nuppiz wrote:There simply won't be an official ROTR until Jamie and Enoch feel like it. Simple.

Are we any closer to things being resolved (whatever they are)?
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Strike me up as another nomination for Sergio Perez with his banzai move to take out Sutil.

I must say that Grosjean put up a good fight for ROTR too by being outdone by Maldonado and then driving all over the place on the run off in the final laps. If the car was really that bad, he should have parked it, he would have binned it on one of the less modern tracks.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Nuppiz wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:I think it is unfair to give Perez ROTR because he has saved Marussia for another race. I will give ROTR to the state of the sport in general.

Ferrim wrote:Come on, you know that if things were business as usual, Pérez would be the ROTR for this one.

Which leads me to the question: how are we going to determine the "official" ROTR from now on?

Good question, I hope to have something hammered out in the chat tonight regarding it.

There simply won't be an official ROTR until Jamie and Enoch feel like it. Simple.

How about an unoficial ROTR then.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

It has to be Force India, double DNF nightmare isn't going to help them beat Mclaren this year.
Honourable mention for the state of the entire sport; as others have said, this race felt empty without the smaller teams propping up the grid.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'm gonna switch my nomination and say Kevin Harvick for being a jackass and starting the fight after the NASCAR race.

Yes, I'm aware that is the F1 ROTR.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:Good question, I hope to have something hammered out in the chat tonight regarding it.

Rob, please stop strutting about like you own the place. You really don't.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1) Kimi Raikkonen: Disappeared almost all race, only noticable when Checo bumped him and Vettel left him in the dust

2) Astroturf: It was more like green tapestry :p

Dishonorable mentions to Sergio Pérez (know your distance, son!) and Force India (that's not how you stole McLaren's place in the WCC)

The Whinning Award goes to Sebastian Vettel: while he recovered very well, it was just annoying hearing him bitching into the radio
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm going to nominate something different: For me, Rosberg deserves the ROTR. Why he left the door open for Hamilton!? He could easily closed the door in that point and maybe secured the victory. Rosberg is driving like someone who gave up from the title.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm going to nominate something different: For me, Rosberg deserves the ROTR. Why he left the door open for Hamilton!? He could easily closed the door in that point and maybe secured the victory. Rosberg is driving like someone who gave up from the title.

That was because of an ERS error on his car. Not his fault.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Pereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz. Gah
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Had I written this yesterday, I would probably had few more nominations but after thinking it a bit, I decided to give benefit on doubt for everyone and leave them out.... well except one guy. Sergio Perez is that one guy thanks to his first lap crash that tool Sutil out as well.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Perez
I like the way Snrub thinks!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

To quote the name of my pub quiz team from last night: "Sergio Pérez is an impatient James Allen".
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

Nuppiz wrote:As Mario pointed out, we cannot be certain how much damage Perez caused to Räikkönen - didn't Kimi pit in four times or so?

So my nomination goes out to Sergio Perez who clearly wasn't looking at what was happening ahead of the road.

Kimi pitted three times during the race, with his final stop coming a handful of laps from the end of the race - Vettel was the only one to do four stops, although he only did two stops under green flag conditions (the remaining two were under the safety car).

Wallio wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:Mario said it best, he was caught by surprise. Then to blame "rhythm"? Fact is he caved under pressure. Good on Hamilton he finally has his second ring.

This is true, Hamilton put in the clearly better drive. But if he had given up, as you claim, then why did he close back in on Hamilton in the 3rd stint? Admittedly it wasn't much, certainly not enough to retake the position, but if he had given up, then he would've cruised home and not pushed then.

I'd bet hammy turned it down.

F1000X wrote:
Wallio wrote:What a surprise Sgt Pepper stirring site over Vettel. :roll:

Am I the only one who thinks Rosberg for ROTR? He was off all day, and has clearly thrown in the towel.

I think ROTR is a little much. It's not like made any silly mistakes.

No, he just didn't show up. He thought after yesterday's insane quali lap, that he won. Seems he forgot the races are on Sunday.

Some of the comments Rosberg has made after the race do seem to attest to the fact that Rosberg was perhaps a little complacent - whilst he was talking about the mistake he made with the mapping of the ERS, which therefore meant he was not using the full electrical power available to him to defend, he also made the following remarks:
"I am sure I could have done better, but it is a judgement thing," he said. "If I defended a lot he would brake late on the outside and get me on the next one.

"I thought indicating I am closing the door would have been enough to stop him from trying, but it wasn't. Because I was part way over already, I thought that was enough for him to think he should not try, but it wasn't."

Now, I think it is quite safe to say that Hamilton is widely agreed to be the sort of driver who would rarely turn down an opportunity to pass somebody else if there is even only a slight chance - just look at the way that, for example, he muscled his way through the field in Germany, often relying on opportunistic or surprise passes that sometimes had him literally bouncing off other drivers.

It also has to be said that, in a season where Rosberg has sometimes had issues with overheating his brakes - and in that same article, he does make reference to brake balance issues as another reason why he was struggling a little - trying to outbrake Hamilton is perhaps a little optimistic. We all saw what happened in Russia when Rosberg tried to do that off the line...

With that in mind, you can't just indicate to Hamilton that you are going to close the door - by the time that Rosberg was halfway over to defend, Hamilton was already halfway past Rosberg, because to Hamilton just indicating that you are going to close the door means you have still left the opportunity there and are undecided on how to defend it.

Rosberg only has to look back to the 2012 US GP where Hamilton forced his way past Vettel in pretty much exactly the same sort of move, despite Vettel fighting much harder to defend his position, to know that a half hearted defence won't work - it has to be a robust block, otherwise odds are that Hamilton will try it on.

All in all, there is a somewhat damning statistic about Rosberg and Hamilton that does highlight that issue. In five races this season, Hamilton has qualified behind Rosberg but then proceeded to catch and pass him during the race to finish ahead of him - although Rosberg came close in Bahrain and Spain, Rosberg is yet to have one race this season where he qualified behind Hamilton and then managed to beat him in the race where both drivers finished.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Force India-Threatening to boycott the race, then to keep the rumours up, only to double-DNF is a rejectful performance.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Perez, not a difficult choice this time.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

As for the Perez saving Marussia argument, at the same time it could significantly hurt Sauber so I don't support that at all.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Force India: I was expecting much better from them.

2. Raikkonen: Completely lackluster.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Ed24 wrote:As for the Perez saving Marussia argument, at the same time it could significantly hurt Sauber so I don't support that at all.

On balance, I'd say Sauber hurt themselves and I'd rather Perez saved Marussia. And this is coming from a Sauber fan.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

I give it to the BBC for saying Hamilton's move was brave. So brave is now outbraking your teammate down the inside and then pushing him off the track. Mika on Schumi was brave, not that
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mrfakeboullier wrote:I give it to the BBC for saying Hamilton's move was brave. So brave is now outbraking your teammate down the inside and then pushing him off the track. Mika on Schumi was brave, not that

It always depends on who does it. If it's Hamilton, it is brave, if it's Rosberg, for instance, it is dirty cheating manoeuvre. That is coherence.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

DanielPT wrote:
mrfakeboullier wrote:I give it to the BBC for saying Hamilton's move was brave. So brave is now outbraking your teammate down the inside and then pushing him off the track. Mika on Schumi was brave, not that

It always depends on who does it. If it's Hamilton, it is brave, if it's Rosberg, for instance, it is dirty cheating manoeuvre. That is coherence.

Exactly. Look at Rosberg's first stop, which was an impressive 3 seconds, but according to Ben Edwards it was "not great". Hamilton's second stop was also three seconds, but was nonetheless hailed as a great stop by the same man.
#FreeGonzo
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I will go with Perez.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Simtek wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

Exactly. Look at Rosberg's first stop, which was an impressive 3 seconds, but according to Ben Edwards it was "not great". Hamilton's second stop was also three seconds, but was nonetheless hailed as a great stop by the same man.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I was just waiting for other cars to come in after Rosberg's stop to see if I'd actually heard him correctly!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:Look at Rosberg's first stop, which was an impressive 3 seconds, but according to Ben Edwards it was "not great". Hamilton's second stop was also three seconds, but was nonetheless hailed as a great stop by the same man.

I think in context Edwards was sorta right. Rosberg needed something a bit special to gain an advantage wheras for Hamilton three seconds was just right. Either way its hardly a comment on the driver is it? More the pit-crew?
Just For One Day...
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

CoopsII wrote:
Simtek wrote:Look at Rosberg's first stop, which was an impressive 3 seconds, but according to Ben Edwards it was "not great". Hamilton's second stop was also three seconds, but was nonetheless hailed as a great stop by the same man.

I think in context Edwards was sorta right. Rosberg needed something a bit special to gain an advantage wheras for Hamilton three seconds was just right. Either way its hardly a comment on the driver is it? More the pit-crew?

Isn't there only one pit crew per team in F1 though, rather than one pit crew per car in most other motorsports (i.e WEC, IndyCar, NASCAR)? So wouldn't Rosberg and Hamilton share pit crews?
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
mario

Post by mario »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Isn't there only one pit crew per team in F1 though, rather than one pit crew per car in most other motorsports (i.e WEC, IndyCar, NASCAR)? So wouldn't Rosberg and Hamilton share pit crews?

In other racing series, the limited pit crews tend to be a consequence of restrictions on the number of personnel who are allowed into the pit lane as a way of reducing the risk of accidents. For example, in the WEC only two individuals are allowed to change the tyres on the cars at any one time whilst the car is still in the pit lane - however, if the car is wheeled back into the garage, the team can have as many mechanics as they like working on the car.

In F1, some teams will have mechanics doubling up as pit crew workers - now, given that mechanics tend to be allocated to a specific car then, if they are doubling up on roles, it is likely that they will be sticking to the same car that they were servicing. It is therefore possible that they will only be sharing some of the same pit crew - say, those operating the jacks - but some of the pit crew may be different.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:I'm gonna switch my nomination and say Kevin Harvick for being a jackass and starting the fight after the NASCAR race.

Yes, I'm aware that is the F1 ROTR.

I heard his wife Delana tells the guy to fight if one is to trust Joey Logano. That being said, Harvick's a ROTR candidate in a race he didn't enter just for his antics.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

watka wrote:Strike me up as another nomination for Sergio Perez with his banzai move to take out Sutil.

I disagree. Sutil over-cooked it going into the corner. He clearly locked up and ran wide, certainly wide enough to give Perez the opportunity. He cut back into the apex, with Perez clearly in his blind spot, suddenly narrowing the gap that Perez could fit into. Was it Perez's fault? Sure, but I think Sutil could have done more.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...