US GP ROTR thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

US GP ROTR thread

Post by roblo97 »

Post your ROTR nominations here
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Frogfoot9013

Re: US GP ROTR thread

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

An early nomination could be Force India with their double-DNF.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

There's no other way to put it...

Kimi Raikkonen has to be RoTR this weekend. Oh sweet bathplug that was.. Crap. Just crap.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

No contest - Kimi Raikkonen - GTFO F1 now. :x

Honourable mentions

Force India - Yeah, double DNF at this stage of the season is not best for business when you're battling for 5th in the WCC
Crofty - Lewisteria runs wild in the Sky commentary box. :|
Jean-Eric Vergne - How he didn't take Button and Grosjean out with that lunge will be a mystery for the ages.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ROTR: Kimi Raikkonen. Utterly pathetic.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Rimi Kaikkonen - That sucked, dude.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Kimi Raikkonen. It has to be. That was almost Deletraz-esque.

Second nomination to Crofty as well, for going full James Allen over Hamilton. Ugh.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Croft is consistently very poor.

Probably Kimi for today, forgot he was in the race for the most part. Perez as well of course.

Also a regular nomination for Williams strategy for throwing away a certain podium. With the Renault engine no way Ricciardo could have passed Massa on track so all they had to do was keep him ahead, and instead they try a bizarre 2 lap overcut.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

While Force India, Gutierrez, the FOM for their craptastic coverage (AGAIN), and Vettel made compelling arguments, the winner of the RoTR in my view is Kimi Raikkonen. Absolutely terrible; there's no excuse for his driving. If there was something wrong with the car I honestly still nominate him because Grosjean was driving like a madman with a self-destructing Lotus. Please Ferrari, can this guy and replace him with someone who is consistently good.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Jean-Eric Vergne - How he didn't take Button and Grosjean out with that lunge will be a mystery for the ages.

That was a move which was so close to going from hero to zero - he may yet regret his move on Grosjean given that the replays suggested it was in fact much heavier contact than I first thought, and I suspect that he'll rack up a penalty for that (the stewards could take the attitude that he only got the move done by ramming Grosjean out of the way).

Salamander wrote:ROTR: Kimi Raikkonen. Utterly pathetic.

To be fair to Kimi, I strongly suspect that he was carrying damage from earlier in the race given that Perez rammed the back of his car - if that is the case, I'd be prepared to give him some leeway because of that.

Overall, I think that Force India are probably more deserving of the award - Perez blew it before the first lap was over (though, if Marussia survives any longer, I imagine that there might be a few Christmas gifts heading Perez's way from them), whilst Hulkenberg's car failure wrote off any hopes from them for clawing anything back. As Ed24 says, though, Williams do deserve a dishonourable mention for blowing that podium position from Massa - it's a shame for Massa that he did everything right, but then had all his hard work undone by Williams botching things in the pit lane (though 4th place is still a very solid achievements and helps secure their position against Ferrari).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely Kimi. Maybe it's because his MiniDrivers character now has wrinkles. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And with all the hate for David Croft coming out of the woodwork, I am so, so tempted to nominate anyone who pays £500 per year for a Sky subscription as Reject Of The Race... when I know that by the end of this year I will be £1460 in the black since I put up my German satellite dish...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

mario wrote:To be fair to Kimi, I strongly suspect that he was carrying damage from earlier in the race given that Perez rammed the back of his car - if that is the case, I'd be prepared to give him some leeway because of that.

Yeah good point, had forgotten that. I guess with the standard of his performances all year it's easy to accept such a drive as today as reality.

dinizintheoven wrote:And with all the hate for David Croft coming out of the woodwork, I am so, so tempted to nominate anyone who pays £500 per year for a Sky subscription as Reject Of The Race... when I know that by the end of this year I will be £1460 in the black since I put up my German satellite dish...

We get Croft for free in Australia ;)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Actually I forgot that as well. Maybe Perez for that move itself, though given that it saved Marussia's 9th in the standings it might be hard to give him RotR for that!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

James1978 wrote:Actually I forgot that as well. Maybe Perez for that move itself, though given that it saved Marussia's 9th in the standings it might be hard to give him RotR for that!

And that's the reason why he likely won't get RotR. It was a sacrifice for the greater good of keeping Marussia in 9th.

But on a day when everyone else seemed close or in some kind of fight, where did Gutiérrez go? I know his car isn't the greatest, but Grosjean overtook him early on, then he seemingly vanished completely.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Although Vettel's radio bitching and struggle to get past slower cars even with DRS, Mr Ecclestone for a half empty grid, Force India for a double retirement and Kimi for being absolutely nowhere all deserve mentions, I'm nominating Perez for that hopeless crash.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

SgtPepper wrote:Although Vettel's radio bitching and struggle to get past slower cars even with DRS, Mr Ecclestone for a half empty grid, Force India for a double retirement and Kimi for being absolutely nowhere all deserve mentions, I'm nominating Perez for that hopeless crash.

That crash could've saved Marussia though! But as I said earlier, Force India as a whole should get ROTR, considering they were the only team to double-DNF.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:Although Vettel's radio bitching and struggle to get past slower cars even with DRS, Mr Ecclestone for a half empty grid, Force India for a double retirement and Kimi for being absolutely nowhere all deserve mentions, I'm nominating Perez for that hopeless crash.

That crash could've saved Marussia though! But as I said earlier, Force India as a whole should get ROTR, considering they were the only team to double-DNF.

If it does by the end of the season I'll change my nomination - but regarded on its own merits, it was rubbish.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I'm giving mine jointly to Raikkonen/Gutierrez/Force India for all being shockingly rubbish

Vettel ROTR really? I think he had every right to moan about the car not going quickly tbh? As for the Magnussen overtake I think he just got a twitch on the back end otherwise without it he'd have been through quicker
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

What a surprise Sgt Pepper stirring site over Vettel. :roll:

Am I the only one who thinks Rosberg for ROTR? He was off all day, and has clearly thrown in the towel.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:What a surprise Sgt Pepper stirring site over Vettel. :roll:

Am I the only one who thinks Rosberg for ROTR? He was off all day, and has clearly thrown in the towel.

>off all day
>thrown in the towel

He was within 3-4 seconds of Hamilton the entire race. I don't have any illusions about him winning the title, but that's just being silly.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:

>off all day
>thrown in the towel

He was within 3-4 seconds of Hamilton the entire race. I don't have any illusions about him winning the title, but that's just being silly.

Mario said it best, he was caught by surprise. Then to blame "rhythm"? Fact is he caved under pressure. Good on Hamilton he finally has his second ring.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

When Vettel didn't make the first move on K-Mags stick I just knew that "OK a ROTR nomination is heading Vettel's way".
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:Mario said it best, he was caught by surprise. Then to blame "rhythm"? Fact is he caved under pressure. Good on Hamilton he finally has his second ring.

This is true, Hamilton put in the clearly better drive. But if he had given up, as you claim, then why did he close back in on Hamilton in the 3rd stint? Admittedly it wasn't much, certainly not enough to retake the position, but if he had given up, then he would've cruised home and not pushed then.
Everything's great.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I think ROTR is a little much. It's not like made any silly mistakes.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:Mario said it best, he was caught by surprise. Then to blame "rhythm"? Fact is he caved under pressure. Good on Hamilton he finally has his second ring.

This is true, Hamilton put in the clearly better drive. But if he had given up, as you claim, then why did he close back in on Hamilton in the 3rd stint? Admittedly it wasn't much, certainly not enough to retake the position, but if he had given up, then he would've cruised home and not pushed then.

I'd bet hammy turned it down.

F1000X wrote:

I think ROTR is a little much. It's not like made any silly mistakes.

No, he just didn't show up. He thought after yesterday's insane quali lap, that he won. Seems he forgot the races are on Sunday.

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm going to nominate the current state of F1. While the racing was good today, the sport is still on the verge of crisis. The grid really did have an empty feeling to it, much more so than I expected.

Dishonourable mentions to Force India, Kimi Raikkonen and astroturf.
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

The race did feel kinda empty, and I have a feeling that the only way that an attempt to fix the state F1 is in will be for it to hit rock bottom, as human nature is to react to problems only after things are past the point of no return
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Kimi - Damage or no damage, he just plodded along.

Other nominations
- Err? The Australian cricket team because they deserve it....
- Bernie and the State of F1 - Because it is just as bad a cricket at the moment, and that is really bad.

I can't think of anyone else actually
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The Current State of F1: No Caterham, No Marussia, No Boycott, No Interest. Exactly what I thought would happen happened at the front. Yawn. With no Caterham or Marussia, I really didn't give a crap about this race once it was announced there would be no boycott.
Sauber, Force India, and Lotus: See above. The lack of a boycott kind of tells me that they're comfortable being stepped on by the bigger teams of the sport...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Perez, a clumsy move that not only takes you out of the race but collects an entirely innocent third party minding his own business? Be still my beating heart.
Making up the numbers
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

C'mon guys, there's only one true ROTR,

Daniel Ricciardo's facial hair
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Force India, Sauber & Lotus - "We may boycott the race! Although, of course, they doesnt mean we'll boycott the race"

Force India - Way to prove your value to F1 guys.
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Ricky's facial hair, the current state of F1, Vergne's move on RoGro. Or Force India, who will lose 5th in the WCC, unless Hülk decides to finally get to 2012-spec in Interlagos.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Come on, you know that if things were business as usual, Pérez would be the ROTR for this one.

Which leads me to the question: how are we going to determine the "official" ROTR from now on?
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

As Mario pointed out, we cannot be certain how much damage Perez caused to Räikkönen - didn't Kimi pit in four times or so?

So my nomination goes out to Sergio Perez who clearly wasn't looking at what was happening ahead of the road.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Nuppiz wrote:As Mario pointed out, we cannot be certain how much damage Perez caused to Räikkönen - didn't Kimi pit in four times or so?

I thought that was Vettel?
Everything's great.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Williams and Force India stand out from pack. On a day where Mclaren were poor it was good opportunity for FI to get points and catch up but no. And Williams had 2 cars compared to Red Bull's single yet manage to lose podium.

After a tough discussion, I think WILLIAMS deserve it.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I'd give it to Perez after his collision with Raikkonen, who didn't really recover from the contact, and Sutil, who could have given Sauber its first points.

Nominations
Force India: Double DNF
AstroTurf coming up
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think it is unfair to give Perez ROTR because he has saved Marussia for another race. I will give ROTR to the state of the sport in general.

Ferrim wrote:Come on, you know that if things were business as usual, Pérez would be the ROTR for this one.

Which leads me to the question: how are we going to determine the "official" ROTR from now on?

Good question, I hope to have something hammered out in the chat tonight regarding it.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!