Audi and 2016 F1 dream

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

Audi and 2016 F1 dream

Post by Nin13 »

Insiders say it will combine its WEC and DTM budgets, plus a Red Bull sponsorship package.

Either Red Bull Racing or its Italian-based development team, Toro Rosso, are understood to be the prime targets

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/89171 ... f1-in-2016

As we all know its not that easy to be successful in F1.

Jaguar, Honda and Toyota have tried and failed.

Plus this Mercedes team was formed 4 years back. Remember this was same team which won both titles as Brawn GP yet it took them 4 years.

Maybe we have reject team in making :mrgreen:
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Salamander

Re: Audi and 2016 F1 dream

Post by Salamander »

It's a load of rubbish. Don't buy it for a second.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Like Salamander said, it won't happen, they are happy as it is at Le Mans.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Salamander wrote:It's a load of rubbish. Don't buy it for a second.

This. Volkswagen entering F1 has been in the talks for lots of years now. Never got close to happening. And Audi entering F1 wont' happen ever.. As long as they win in Le Mans.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I'll believe this when I see an Audi-engined car on the grid at a race.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Backmarker wrote:I'll believe this when I see an Audi-engined car on the grid at a race.

Would they badge them as Audi though? Personally I'd love to see them badge the engines as Lamborghini particularly when you take their proud history in F1 into account! :P
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

I hope this is true, but I don't belive too much. Anyway, I hope Audi come into F1 not buying an existing team, but start from scratch: this could mean that we could have one more team in F1, all I want to avoid third car
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

In spite of what I said in the Ponderbox, I'm going to have to say Autosport or it didn't happen.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

They won't run unless the rules give them a huge advantage like at Le Mans. However, F1 has bent over backward for them in the past (remember we almost had 2.0T I4s, solely because of Audi, ditto in Indycar).
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Here is Audi denying

which according to traditional F1 Rejects thinking means there is some truth to this. :twisted:
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Nin13 wrote:Here is Audi denying

which according to traditional F1 Rejects thinking means there is some truth to this. :twisted:

They're not actually denying it in that message.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Nin13 wrote:Here is Audi denying

Or at least a feeler is being launched. Why else would Andre Lotterer be in a Caterham?
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Why else would Andre Lotterer be in a Caterham?

Because Lotterer is of best and Kolles knows this, having employed him previously. Duh.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I remember VW (they own Audi, so it's related) being rumoured to have ties with Sauber back in 2002 or so... and nothing happened. :P

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

I'm sceptical, but it would be cool. Badge them as Auto Union!
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

It won't happen mark my words
Officially Retired
mario

Post by mario »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
Backmarker wrote:I'll believe this when I see an Audi-engined car on the grid at a race.

Would they badge them as Audi though? Personally I'd love to see them badge the engines as Lamborghini particularly when you take their proud history in F1 into account! :P

The VW Group has occasionally shown interest in F1 - they sent representatives to the negotiations over the new engine format and, as Wallio rightly points out, the only reason why four cylinder engines were considered was because of VW (at least according to Newey, who claimed that the move was made to appease VW), who promptly walked out of the negotiations anyway.

Porsche have also confirmed that, if the VW Group had not given them permission to launch an LMP1 program, that they were actively considering developing an F1 spec powertrain instead given that there are certain elements of the energy recovery systems which could have been carried over from one program to the other.

With that in mind, I can see a slim possibility of part of the VW Group entering F1 as an engine supplier in the future, though the odds are rather against it given that they seem content to race at Le Mans, where they virtually have the race bought and paid for (the fact that Audi have been given an increased amount of space for advertising and for publicity stunts at Le Mans is not exactly coincidental given that Audi are also the primary sponsor of the event and paid for the recent refurbishment of the circuit facilities...).

In that instance, if they were to enter as an engine supplier, then perhaps I could see them approaching Red Bull - given the dissatisfaction Red Bull have shown with Renault, it is plausible that Red Bull would be open to approaches to change their engine supplier. It's still a fairly far fetched scenario though (if Red Bull were to switch, I think that they'd rather go Honda, the new manufacturer that has been confirmed for F1).

However, I can't see Audi or any part of the VW Group entering as a full blown manufacturer entry - they have shown no appetite for that in the past and I can't see that changing in the future either. Mercedes may have generated a huge amount of positive publicity for themselves by producing such a dominant package, but that has come with a sizeable price tag to match and I can't see the VW Group being prepared to stomach that sort of expenditure.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:

Because Lotterer is of best and Kolles knows this, having employed him previously. Duh.

Wouldn't Kolles know that Lotterer is more know for sports car driving than for being even halfway decent in an open wheeler? Still, that might explain some of the chaos at Caterham.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Wouldn't Kolles know that Lotterer is more know for sports car driving than for being even halfway decent in an open wheeler? Still, that might explain some of the chaos at Caterham.

*Points at Super Formula*

Yeah, "halfway decent" only. Sure.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Lotterer is a champion in Formula Nippon though, so he does have a bit of talent in an open-wheeler.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Salamander wrote:

What drugs are you on?!

Talent is talent. Certain drivers have a natural ability that they just win in anything you give them. Andre Lotterer is one such driver. Lotterer is the most talented racing driver Caterham have had at their disposal in their four year history. Bringing him in was the smartest thing Colin Kolles has ever done - bringing in Mehri was the dumbest.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Biscione wrote:What drugs are you on?!

Talent is talent. Certain drivers have a natural ability that they just win in anything you give them. Andre Lotterer is one such driver. Lotterer is the most talented racing driver Caterham have had at their disposal in their four year history. Bringing him in was the smartest thing Colin Kolles has ever done - bringing in Mehri was the dumbest.

He outqualified his team mate on debut, despite having never driven an F1 car since 2002, but I can't see him being able to have gotten any worthwhile results for Caterham if he'd stay on, simply because the car is crap. And besides, he's already taking part in two championships, the WEC and Super Formula, and based on his criticism of F1, I can't see him being interested in getting another shot in F1.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Biscione wrote:What drugs are you on?!

Talent doesn't always cross from one type of racing to another as seen with Nigel Mansell in the BTCC... which was dreadful. As to the others about Formula Nippon... I see a string of F1Rejects profiles and profile candidates like Ralph Firman, Tora Takagi, Kazuyoshi Hoshino, and Marco Apicella as champions. Still I wonder if Lotterer is that good in F1 or if it's that Marcus Ericsson is that bad.
Last edited by Onxy Wrecked on 26 Oct 2014, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'll believe it when I see it.