The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Miguel98 »

That list, sweet jesus.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

As Manfredi Ravetto said yesterday, quite a lot of it is memorabilia.

Still, a lot of that stuff would be good for F1Rejects.com Racing...so, uh...yeah?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia wrote:As Manfredi Ravetto said yesterday, quite a lot of it is memorabilia.

Still, a lot of that stuff would be good for F1Rejects.com Racing...so, uh...yeah?

Well I'm guessing that if Wallio doesn't want that turkey sandwich you could use that 3 dollars to kickstart the donations? :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Ataxia wrote:As Manfredi Ravetto said yesterday, quite a lot of it is memorabilia.

Well I'm guessing that if Wallio doesn't want that turkey sandwich you could use that 3 dollars to kickstart the donations? :P

I have you know I bought myself a turkey sandwich yesterday, a club in fact. And it was $8 not 3. :P

So yea, throw that $3 bucks in the kitty. Hell we can code name this project "Lunch".
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
hootie

Post by hootie »

taken from the Caterham facebook feed

Mr Talent Talent Talent has competition in the best hair in F1 competition
hootie
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

hootie wrote:Image

taken from the Caterham facebook feed

Mr Talent Talent Talent has competition in the best hair in F1 competition
hootie

Get ready for... The MerhiMania!
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Updates on the impounded gear. There's another court hearing from a creditor on 11th November which is why the auction is currently on hold. Once that is resolved I suspect this stuff will either be recovered or flogged to the highest bidder.

Some more info on what was meant to be going to Suzuka but instead got impounded:

The following goods were due to be shipped to Suzuka, Japan on the day they were removed:

4 Caterham F1 wishbone RLWB #11, #16, #18 & #20
3 Caterham F1 wishbone RUWB #13, #14 & #17
2 Caterham F1 dampers RSD #7 & #8
6 Caterham F1 drive shafts RURT #9, #12, #14, #19, #21 & #22
10 Caterham F1 brake sets #320, #321, #334, #319, #364, #374, #375, #376, #377, #3691 & #3711
2 pairs Caterham F1 rear bells race
2 pairs Caterham F1 front bells race
1 Caterham F1 pressure taping tube
1 Caterham F1 steering column (short) #07
1 Caterham F1 brake calliper (right rear) #1238
1 Caterham F1 power steering set #L07 & #L11
1 Caterham F1 bag of master cylinder parts
3 Caterham F1 hoses
2 Caterham F1 yaw shroud (pitot)
1 Caterham F1 brake drum (right hand)
1 Caterham F1 brake drum (left hand)
2 Caterham F1 side pod tuning veins
2 Caterham F1 progressive springs
1 Caterham F1 exhaust tail pipe
2 Caterham F1 throttle dampers (TI shaft & Spec 6)
2 Caterham F1 pedals
1 Caterham F1 grid trolley cover
1 Caterham F1 water expansion bottle
2 Caterham F1 front piston right hand
6 pairs Shoes with steel toe caps
10 Windscreen V2
2 Caterham F1 ARB rocker assembly
20 Caterham F1 units of ballast
2 Caterham F1 small duct #0259 & #0260
1 Caterham F1 plastic mirror lens
200 Bolt (counter sunk) M6
130 Lock nut (unf)
40 Stud (live lock)
20 Spacer
5 Top hat (track rod)
4 Stud (LD 0773)
5 Top hat (inside)
4 Caterham F1 shoulder strap bracket
3 Caterham F1 turbo hose
2 Caterham F1 non return valve
1 Caterham F1 fire bottle filled assembly
1 Caterham F1 solenoid bracket
1 Caterham F1 power conditioner cage
2 Caterham F1 outer caliper duct #0265 &#0266
40 Caterham F1 SPOV feed pipe V2 hose
2 Caterham F1 heave link -3.5 deg assembly
4 Caterham F1 heat shield WG RWD
4 Caterham F1 heat shield WG FWD
2 Caterham F1 PAS FTRD seal housing LH
2 Caterham F1 FTRD SLA seal V2 LH
45 Caterham F1 wheel nut angled necked mouth LH-MK2
45 Caterham F1 wheel nut angled necked mouth RH-MK2

Pretty sure all of that was on the original list I posted before (haven't checked properly though).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Caterham's GP2 arm has been sold to GP3 team Status. The team will compete in Abu Dhabi as Caterham, and switch to Status in 2015:

http://racer.com/latest-stories/item/10 ... m-gp2-team
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

In the debate as to why Kamui retired from the Russian GP, the BBC have this to add. Scary if correct.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

And to add to the intrigue, Caterham Sports Ltd (the company whose equipment was seized) has now gone into administration, meaning the planned auction of stuff is now off, which is sad as I fancied bagging something as a souvenir!

This doesn't affect the team, who are run by 1MRT (that's 1Malaysia Racing Team for those that don't know).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Kobayashi is in the news suggesting he felt unsafe in the car at Sochi. I've seen the picture purporting to be of the repair job the team did and it does look more than a bit ropey but I can't help but feel this is all about the disintegration of the relationship between him and the team. A team which is quickly heading into Andrea Moda territory.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Kobayashi is in the news suggesting he felt unsafe in the car at Sochi. I've seen the picture purporting to be of the repair job the team did and it does look more than a bit ropey but I can't help but feel this is all about the disintegration of the relationship between him and the team. A team which is quickly heading into Andrea Moda territory.

It's what I linked to in my post (2 posts above yours). BBC story with suspension repair photographed.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Kobayashi is in the news suggesting he felt unsafe in the car at Sochi. I've seen the picture purporting to be of the repair job the team did and it does look more than a bit ropey but I can't help but feel this is all about the disintegration of the relationship between him and the team. A team which is quickly heading into Andrea Moda territory.

It's what I linked to in my post (2 posts above yours). BBC story with suspension repair photographed.

Great minds and all that. I'm not suggesting Kamui is making stuff up but he's become incredibly vocal just recently. If he's telling the truth and that bodge-job was intended to be raced then Caterham are crossing the line of whats acceptably safe which again reminds me of Andrea Moda.
Just For One Day...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Great minds and all that. I'm not suggesting Kamui is making stuff up but he's become incredibly vocal just recently. If he's telling the truth and that bodge-job was intended to be raced then Caterham are crossing the line of whats acceptably safe which again reminds me of Andrea Moda. If he isnt telling the truth and that picture is, perhaps, before a repair job was made then....

What I find really strange about the whole thing is that originally Kamui was saying he didn't know why the car was retired, but now he's saying the car shouldn't have been raced at all? While there could be translation issues and I'm a massive fan of Kamui, he can't really have it both ways.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I guess he's getting himself in the headlines at any rate which could be viewed as an attempt to make himself visible to potential team bosses. However, if that is the intention then I find it somewhat cynical bearing in mind its off the back off the current flavour of the month, safety, which began with Bianchis accident.

All 'ifs', 'buts' and 'maybe's I know but, aaah, theres frig all else going on besides the forum becoming like the wreck of the Hesperus.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:What I find really strange about the whole thing is that originally Kamui was saying he didn't know why the car was retired, but now he's saying the car shouldn't have been raced at all? While there could be translation issues and I'm a massive fan of Kamui, he can't really have it both ways.

Maybe originally after the race, he didn't want to say anything with all the team around him and didn't want to be accused of slandering the team (which would often be a breach of contract), but with hindsight, he felt prepared to say what actually happened?

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It's what I linked to in my post (2 posts above yours). BBC story with suspension repair photographed.

Great minds and all that.

Yeah, probably! :lol:
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I have seen the suspension piece and it is quite frankly, inexcusable to bodge something that badly.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2014/caterham-f1-team-statement-%281%29

Any thoughts on this? I mean, it should go without saying that Caterham could have done without more complications.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

Shades of Monteverdi and Forti....I seriously doubt if these "investors" really exist
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

It has all become incredibly farcical hasn't it? They bought the team, funded the team but now claim they don't have the shares because the former owner's creditors have got involved. It smacks of convenience and a chance to pull the plug. Why didn't they buy Sauber or Toro Rosso if they were so desperate to own a team?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

It's telling that the statement doesn't affirm their intention to keep supporting the team as much as they can, or that they will go down all the road to stop Fernandes' people interfering in order to protect their investment, or whatever.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

If they dont make Austin will that mean we may see a couple of three car teams appear to make up the numbers or will some deal be done to avoid the expense?
Just For One Day...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

CoopsII wrote:If they dont make Austin will that mean we may see a couple of three car teams appear to make up the numbers or will some deal be done to avoid the expense?

There is always still Forza Rossa. Unless they are waiting for 2016 like Haas. And unless you mean the rest of this season.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The BBC wrote: Staff working for the Caterham F1 team have been locked out of the firm's Oxfordshire site, the administrator has confirmed to the BBC.

"Damn you, my name is Marcus Ericsson! Let me in! My coat is still in the cloakroom as well as an apple I didn't fancy!"
Just For One Day...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CoopsII wrote:If they dont make Austin will that mean we may see a couple of three car teams appear to make up the numbers or will some deal be done to avoid the expense?
Three car teams won't happen this or next season because the teams would need much more time to prepare for that. If Caterham bites the dust we'll see a 20-car grid, just like when Forti, Arrows and Super Aguri folded.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Nuppiz wrote:
Three car teams won't happen this or next season because the teams would need much more time to prepare for that. If Caterham bites the dust we'll see a 20-car grid, just like when Forti, Arrows and Super Aguri folded.

The real trouble will begin if another team folds. And there are at least a couple hanging by a thread.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

http://www.moneyhouse.ch/en/u/venus_ag_CH-170.3.028.786-1.htm

And we have a name behind Engavest Sa: stefan gyseler.
Quite a few name changes...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

This is a bit of wishful thinking, but if Caterham fold before Austin is it possible Kobayashi could race for Marussia, however improbable? Or would his contract preclude that?

I guess if Caterham fold all contracts would be nullified...but then again it's probably more likely that if Caterham don't make it the administrators will say that they are just missing the US GP until things are sorted.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AustralianStig wrote:This is a bit of wishful thinking, but if Caterham fold before Austin is it possible Kobayashi could race for Marussia, however improbable? Or would his contract preclude that?

The better question would be, why would Marussia be so stupid and throw away the chance to debut an American on American territory and thereby grab a few sponsorship dollars in exchange for a mediocre driver who isn't even familiar with the team?
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Klon wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:This is a bit of wishful thinking, but if Caterham fold before Austin is it possible Kobayashi could race for Marussia, however improbable? Or would his contract preclude that?

The better question would be, why would Marussia be so stupid and throw away the chance to debut an American on American territory and thereby grab a few sponsorship dollars in exchange for a mediocre driver who isn't even familiar with the team?

Good point, this is me in dreamworld thinking up ridiculous what ifs haha.

CoopsII wrote:

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Klon wrote:

Are you thinking Rossi is 100% in for Austin? I haven't read anything to confirm it yet.
Just For One Day...
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/17583 ... -in-austin

Something tells me that if Russian Grand Prix wasn't the last race for Caterham, then they will shut up the shop after Austin.
Leafield curse strikes again.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/525684994472435712

Well, Catheram are dying more and more by the second...

Anyway, predictions on who'll drive the Forza Rossa next season? I'm betting Mehri and Yamamoto. :lol:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

The more news I read about this the more it reminds me of Forti and The Shannon Group.

Methinks these investors are merely smoke and mirrors.
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Miguel98 wrote:https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/525684994472435712

Well, Catheram are dying more and more by the second...

Anyway, predictions on who'll drive the Forza Rossa next season? I'm betting Mehri and Yamamoto. :lol:

I'm going for Merhi and Ericsson. However, one of them will be replaced by Yamamoto. :P
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I hate it when it gets like this, the slow death.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I have dug through the Paul Stoddart forum and unearthed a post from July 2013. Why?

dinizintheoven wrote:We came. We saw (rejects and top teams alike). We conquered (the paddock).

This is why.

I am now incredibly glad Marussia didn't bring a complete show car to the Young Drivers' Test last year. Because, as they didn't, we thought it'd be a fine compromise to have the official Formula One Rejects Team Shot in front of Caterham and the T128 produced under their former guise. Caterham were obviously faster than Marussia that year, and weren't the Ultimate Rejects of the season... but now it is the team in green who are going down the tubes faster than a hyperactive child covered in Fairy Liquid at an Orlando water park. Were there ever to be another such event, it looks highly likely that this photo could never be taken again. So retrospectively, it was the right thing to do.

And to think, when that car behind us was launched, with its Red Bull gearbox from a winning car and a Renault engine, neither of which Marussia (when they were still Virgin) or HRT had access to, stuck with their lumbering Cosworth lumps and failing Xtrac gearboxes - this (2011) was going to be their year, they'd start challenging the midfield, have points on the board in no time at all, and condemn Toro Rosso and even Williams to scrapping with the other two that were F1's equivalent of the Claiming Rule Teams.

How times have changed...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
IceG

Post by IceG »

Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

IceG wrote:Bernie says its OK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29765039

Something tells me that if they do miss Austin and Interlagos like they're allowed to, they'll probably not be on the grid for Abu Dhabi either, considering that the mess Caterham is in is not too far off Monteverdi and Andrea Moda levels....
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Has a team ever missed races and returned?