2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

Post by good_Ralf »

Meatwad wrote:They could be called the The Tailenders!

Fixed that for you. ;)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I've been away for a few days so I'm late to the discussion about couches. But I tend to watch GPs from the comfort of my Lovesac which Jamie gave me as a wedding present.

Yes, you heard it right, my Lovesac. No ... get your minds out of the gutter ... it's not what you think. http://lovesac.com.au/

Meanwhile, having not really paid any attention to the Silverstone tests earlier this year or to Renault 3.5s, I must confess to having never heard of Will Stevens ...

But can you imagine the hits that the Backrow Boys (Chilton, Ericsson, Stevens, maybe throw in Merhi for the Latino looks) could generate?

"I'll Never Break Your Front Wing"
"Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lapped Again"
"Shape Of My Wallet"
"As Long As You Blue Flag Me"
"The Call" (a.k.a. "Box Box Box")
"Straight Through My Run-Off Area"
"I Want It That Way" (a.k.a. "Tell me why, ain't nothin' but 19th place")
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

eytl wrote:I've been away for a few days so I'm late to the discussion about couches. But I tend to watch GPs from the comfort of my Lovesac which Jamie gave me as a wedding present.

Yes, you heard it right, my Lovesac. No ... get your minds out of the gutter ... it's not what you think. http://lovesac.com.au/

Meanwhile, having not really paid any attention to the Silverstone tests earlier this year or to Renault 3.5s, I must confess to having never heard of Will Stevens ...

But can you imagine the hits that the Backrow Boys (Chilton, Ericsson, Stevens, maybe throw in Merhi for the Latino looks) could generate?

"Shape Of My Wallet"

That's too long too sig, but defenitely one of the posts of the year :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Kobacrashi

Post by Kobacrashi »

eytl wrote:I've been away for a few days so I'm late to the discussion about couches. But I tend to watch GPs from the comfort of my Lovesac which Jamie gave me as a wedding present.

"Shape Of My Wallet"

Hopefully they could do some covers!

Would love to hear their version of renegade master!

"D4 damager, power to the people, lapped once again, at least I'm faster than pastor"
Kobayashi is back! Need I say more!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Kobacrashi wrote: Hopefully they could do some covers!

"D4 damager, power to the people, lapped once again, at least I'm faster than pastor"

You just made my day.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Yup, this Practice Session is cursed. Suzuka is not messing around.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Typhoon? Crikey, I take my comments regarding the official sites weather reporting back. For now.

Also, Will who?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Typhoon? Crikey, I take my comments regarding the official sites weather reporting back. For now.

Also, Will who?

Chester-gate returns!!!

Although, to be honest, I share the sentiment...

EDIT: Just looked up his Wikipedia page, and it turns out he was born in the same town as my sister...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Chilton and Minardi gets shoutouts!

http://youtu.be/RCVCkFgqsgM
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Typhoon? Crikey, I take my comments regarding the official sites weather reporting back. For now.

Also, Will who?

Chester-gate returns!!!

Although, to be honest, I share the sentiment...

EDIT: Just looked up his Wikipedia page, and it turns out he was born in the same town as my sister...

Rochford? I loved that Cuddly Toy song they did. More seriously, random drivers seemingly plucked from obscurity is a bit like the old days. I blummin love it. See Bernie? THIS is why we need the smaller teams.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

If Sundays race gets typhooned away what's the offical ruling? Are they in a position to race the next day? Will they give points out based on qualifying?
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

CoopsII wrote:Will they give points out based on qualifying?

By Captain Hammer's logic, nothing. :P

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ooh, it might be held on Saturday!

How very exciting!
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FP1 pretty much confirms Verstappen's ready. He's got the pace already, so I think he'll be just fine when next season comes around.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Qualifying will be important. There is good chance race starts behind SC. And we know what happened in 2007 at Fuji. 19 laps behind SC .

And last year at WEC at Fuji same thing happened and race started and finished behind SC. Top 2 cars pitted and joined back of queue and 3rd car won as race Could not be started.

If they can't complete 75% laps they will give half points.

Effectively means one who gets pole will win.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Pretty sure points aren't awarded if there isn't at least one racing lap (as in WEC Fuji 2013)

The race won't be on Saturday as Honda don't want to give refunds to all those with Sunday tickets.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Ed24 wrote:Pretty sure points aren't awarded if there isn't at least one racing lap (as in WEC Fuji 2013)

The race won't be on Saturday as Honda don't want to give refunds to all those with Sunday tickets.

Laps behind SC are considered . and last year at Fuji half points were given. just confirmed on wec website.

If race is totally suspended then no points.

But if even 2 lap is raced be it behind SC then rule says half points.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 1/fia.html
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nin13 wrote:
Ed24 wrote:Pretty sure points aren't awarded if there isn't at least one racing lap (as in WEC Fuji 2013)

Laps behind SC are considered . and last year at Fuji half points were given. just confirmed on wec website.

If race is totally suspended then no points.

But if even 2 lap is raced be it behind SC then rule says half points.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 1/fia.html

I hope Abu Dhabi ends up half-points... After just 2 safety car laps!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Now the threat of the typhoon has shifted to Monday with Sundays weather expected to be somewhat better.

I sense Bernie's hand in all this...
Just For One Day...
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

CoopsII wrote:Now the threat of the typhoon has shifted to Monday with Sundays weather expected to be somewhat better.

I sense Bernie's hand in all this...

Egads! Bernie controls the weather?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Props to Ericsson for outqualifying both his teammate and the Marussias. Its another example of a great result boosting confidence levels and improving subsequent results (Ericsson beat both Marussias in Singapore) so well done to him. Well done Williams, if you outpace Red Bull this badly on this weekend maybe you can close on them for 2nd, but I think it is unlikely that Williams will do that.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

good_Ralf wrote:Props to Ericsson for outqualifying both his teammate and the Marussias. Its another example of a great result boosting confidence levels and improving subsequent results (Ericsson beat both Marussias in Singapore) so well done to him. Well done Williams, if you outpace Red Bull this badly on this weekend maybe you can close on them for 2nd, but I think it is unlikely that Williams will do that.

Very unlikely. I think Williams will outpace Red Bull in Austin and in Interlagos, but Red Bull will be strong in Abu Dhabi and with the double points... no chance for Williams.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

So Basically

17. Grosjean
18. Ericsson
19. Bianchi
20. Kobyaashi
21. Chilton
22. Maldonado with 5 grid spots to be lost at Sochi?

Apparently it carries over from what I read. Can anyone confirm?
Waris

Post by Waris »

If I were Gene Haas, I'd sign Jean-Éric Vergne up for 2016 already.

By the way, I'm watching from a bed, but sitting up with my feet on the ground. I dunno if that counts for anything, but it's quite difficult to fall asleep this way.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Props to Ericsson for outqualifying both his teammate and the Marussias. Its another example of a great result boosting confidence levels and improving subsequent results (Ericsson beat both Marussias in Singapore) so well done to him. Well done Williams, if you outpace Red Bull this badly on this weekend maybe you can close on them for 2nd, but I think it is unlikely that Williams will do that.

Very unlikely. I think Williams will outpace Red Bull in Austin and in Interlagos, but Red Bull will be strong in Abu Dhabi and with the double points... no chance for Williams.

It's essentially impossible for Williams to beat Red Bull to 2nd in the WCC - the gap is 118 points with a maximum of 150 available, so it's very unlikely that will happen. Still, Williams will probably be able to put Red Bull under pressure in some of the closing races if they remain dry - I suspect that Red Bull still has an advantage in wet weather conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Waris wrote: sitting up with my feet on the ground. I dunno if that counts for anything, but it's quite difficult to fall asleep this way.

http://youtu.be/tik9ZEL7iAA?t=4m17s

LionZoo wrote:
Egads! Bernie controls the weather?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111&p=248231#p248231
-*:-
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

JEV according to F1's twitter site is now starting 21st due to an engine change.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Jeez, who has Vergne upset up there?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

"Shape Of My Wallet"

Brendon Hartley has been touring the Endurance Circuit with his own version of Backrow Boys since even before there ever was a group called Backrow Boys ;-) And who can forget the Godfather of this style, James Hunt? Whoever has seen "Rush" (2013) surely can't.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The typhoon has been upgraded to Super Typhoon status. No idea what that means, but it sounds bad. NBC is reporting that paddock rumors are 2 laps behind the SC then everybody goes home.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Wallio wrote:The typhoon has been upgraded to Super Typhoon status. No idea what that means, but it sounds bad. NBC is reporting that paddock rumors are 2 laps behind the SC then everybody goes home.....

Then the field would get half-points. That would give Rosberg a 0.5 point advantage over Hamilton, right?

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wallio wrote:The typhoon has been upgraded to Super Typhoon status. No idea what that means, but it sounds bad. NBC is reporting that paddock rumors are 2 laps behind the SC then everybody goes home.....

Well, I heard that the typh-aherm, Super Typhoon will only hit at the end of the day, but rain should still hit the track. I wonder how this is going to work out...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Damn. It's now a SOOPAH TYPHOON. Well, that should disrupt travel to Sochi.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wikipedia wrote:From 2009 the Hong Kong Observatory started to further divide typhoons into three different classifications: typhoon, severe typhoon and super typhoon. A typhoon has wind speed of 64-79 knots (73-91 mph; 118–149 km/h), a severe typhoon has winds of at least 80 knots (92 mph; 150 km/h), and a super typhoon has winds of at least 100 knots (120 mph; 190 km/h). The United States' Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) unofficially classifies typhoons with wind speeds of at least 130 knots (67 m/s; 150 mph; 241 km/h)—the equivalent of a strong Category 4 storm in the Saffir-Simpson scale —as super typhoons. However, the maximum sustained wind speed measurements that the JTWC uses are based on a 1-minute averaging period, akin to the U.S.' National Hurricane Center and Central Pacific Hurricane Center. As a result, the JTWC's wind reports are higher than JMA's measurements, as the latter are based on a 10-minute averaging interval.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Super Typhoon sounds like one of those disaster movies that go straight to DVD, and are so bad that they are hilarious.

Oh, and

Kobacrashi wrote:
Hopefully they could do some covers!

You owe me a new keyboard :D
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The FIA has now acknowledged that the typhoon is a "massive threat" to the race. Their contingency plan: What contingency plan? The race will start at 3 pm anyway because bathplug common sense. Looks like Mercedes could lead from start to finish again... with Bernd Maylander. :roll:
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I hope FIA will let the drivers race in extreme wet conditions, but I'm dreaming too much.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I hope we get more than two laps of cars moving tomorrow morning - just so I can justify getting up at half 6 to watch said procession. What? I'm a student, that time should legally not exist. :evil: :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

We will have top 3 Mercedes drivers then.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mercedes will test the concept of three-car teams this race with guest star Bernt Maylander.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!