2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by DanielPT »

Shizuka wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Sauber and Marussia are behind in their engine payments to Ferrari

In Marussia's case, I guess the engine cost is offset somewhat by them running Bianchi in the car. It's still pretty gloomy reading though. :|

And Sauber is less and less likely to grab points to ease their financial status... :?

I just hope they can survive. Things are increasingly hard for smaller teams out there and FIA isn't making their life easier either...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:Sauber and Marussia are behind in their engine payments to Ferrari

In Marussia's case, I guess the engine cost is offset somewhat by them running Bianchi in the car. It's still pretty gloomy reading though. :|

But let's actually look at the "journalism" in that article. It's a quote taken from a German language newspaper in an interview with an Italian team principal. Immediately it's already been mis-translated or taken out of context well before f1today.net got their desperate hands on it. They've attempted to make an article out of it by cobbling together a second paragraph consisting of some spurious comments made by unknown journalists and a so-called rumour that Marrussia wouldn't make it to Monza, despite the fact that they very much are there.

In summary, it's not even worth believing. Just click-bait to boost the site's ad income no doubt. If there was a problem it would be widely reported that Ferrari were chasing up the payments. But the fact is, they're not.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:

But let's actually look at the "journalism" in that article. It's a quote taken from a German language newspaper in an interview with an Italian team principal. Immediately it's already been mis-translated or taken out of context well before f1today.net got their desperate hands on it. They've attempted to make an article out of it by cobbling together a second paragraph consisting of some spurious comments made by unknown journalists and a so-called rumour that Marrussia wouldn't make it to Monza, despite the fact that they very much are there.

In summary, it's not even worth believing. Just click-bait to boost the site's ad income no doubt. If there was a problem it would be widely reported that Ferrari were chasing up the payments. But the fact is, they're not.

It's aggregated. Look at the end of the article - "GMM" - Global Motorsport Media. They're like an AP/Reuters kinda thing for motor racing...except they're wrong most of the time.

I think Danny Sosef probably outsources most of his English stuff to the GMM aggregator - his English isn't great IIRC, and most of F1Today's 'original' news is centred around Dutch drivers.

But...yeah, it's GMM, so truckloads of salt and all that.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

It's aggregated. Look at the end of the article - "GMM" - Global Motorsport Media. They're like an AP/Reuters kinda thing for motor racing...except they're wrong most of the time.

I think Danny Sosef probably outsources most of his English stuff to the GMM aggregator - his English isn't great IIRC, and most of F1Today's 'original' news is centred around Dutch drivers.

But...yeah, it's GMM, so truckloads of salt and all that.

Given that Marussia is known to have racked up heavy losses for the last financial year and Sauber have relied on injections of capital from Peter Sauber, it is one of those stories which can just about maintain an air of plausibility without being able to offer anything that is of substance. As you say, it's one story where you'd hope for a more authoritative source to report on it before making too many assumptions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29067962

Probably Benson doing his usual stirring but if this does come to pass then who's leaving?

In spite of the criticism Rosberg got from the team in the last race, I think it would be Hamilton getting the door shown.

They'd never afford him, but I'd love to see him beside Bottas at Williams.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
mario

Post by mario »

LellaLombardi wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29067962

Probably Benson doing his usual stirring but if this does come to pass then who's leaving?

In spite of the criticism Rosberg got from the team in the last race, I think it would be Hamilton getting the door shown.

It's especially unlikely given that Massa's position at Williams is likely to be key to them retaining Petrobras, who are already sponsoring the team in a low key way and are due to become an official technical partner and their official fuel supplier for 2015.

Reading Wolff's comments, it has to be said that they do come across as a somewhat ineffectual attempt by him to stamp his authority on his two drivers that has only really made the matter worse, given that they basically give writers like Benson a free quote to run with. Wolff may want to draw a line under what happened in Spa, but his comments have only really drawn attention back to it...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I can't see either of them going unless Rosberg starts doing silly things, loses the title to boot and there's another decent German driver (Lotterer? ;) ) available to replace him.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:It's especially unlikely given that Massa's position at Williams is likely to be key to them retaining Petrobras, who are already sponsoring the team in a low key way and are due to become an official technical partner and their official fuel supplier for 2015.

I am not so sure that Massa's position is key at Williams. Sure they will want Petrobras on board given the sponsorship and all technical partnerships but for that the only real requisite should be a Brazilian and Massa has been the only real option ever since Rubens 'retired'. With this in mind they only need to convince Petrobras that Massa is past it and Nasr is the future of Brazilian racing. And I believe that this is their plan all along really. Unless Bottas leaves Williams in the meanwhile.

What's more, both of them are called Felipe so the top brass at Petrobras wouldn't even notice the difference. :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:What's more, both of them are called Felipe so the top brass at Petrobras wouldn't even notice the difference. :)

Are you suggesting the Petrobras Christmas card (a green and yellow Santa Claus) is just a copy & paste job?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:What's more, both of them are called Felipe so the top brass at Petrobras wouldn't even notice the difference. :)

Are you suggesting the Petrobras Christmas card (a green and yellow Santa Claus) is just a copy & paste job?

Regrettably I am. But don't worry, Santa Claus will still deliver your gifts!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
mario wrote:It's especially unlikely given that Massa's position at Williams is likely to be key to them retaining Petrobras, who are already sponsoring the team in a low key way and are due to become an official technical partner and their official fuel supplier for 2015.

I am not so sure that Massa's position is key at Williams. Sure they will want Petrobras on board given the sponsorship and all technical partnerships but for that the only real requisite should be a Brazilian and Massa has been the only real option ever since Rubens 'retired'. With this in mind they only need to convince Petrobras that Massa is past it and Nasr is the future of Brazilian racing. And I believe that this is their plan all along really. Unless Bottas leaves Williams in the meanwhile.

What's more, both of them are called Felipe so the top brass at Petrobras wouldn't even notice the difference. :)

I don't think being Brazilian is even a pre-requisite for Petrobras. The two have been partners previously between '98-'09. The only Brazilian to race for them during that period was Antonio Pizzonia, and the relationship coming to a close coincided with Rubens arriving at the team.

On the other hand, the Banco do Brasil sponsorship is certainly driver-dependent - this backing comes courtesty of Felipe Nasr.

Williams simply have to convince Petrobras there are currently no Brazilians in racing of the required calibre to drive for the team, to the point that hiring for nationality would hurt the team's performance, so that they can focus on pursuing more talented targets.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Biscione wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

I don't think being Brazilian is even a pre-requisite for Petrobras. The two have been partners previously between '98-'09. The only Brazilian to race for them during that period was Antonio Pizzonia, and the relationship coming to a close coincided with Rubens arriving at the team.

On the other hand, the Banco do Brasil sponsorship is certainly driver-dependent - this backing comes courtesty of Felipe Nasr.

Williams simply have to convince Petrobras there are currently no Brazilians in racing of the required calibre to drive for the team, to the point that hiring for nationality would hurt the team's performance, so that they can focus on pursuing more talented targets.

To be fair, do Williams need a supertalent on the other seat? As long as Bottas stays, they can rely on having a really good driver around. Maybe get a rookie like Nasr to pay the bills and/or develop into a proper racer, instead of keeping Massa, who's A) Way past his due date and B) Expensive.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I don't understand what the issue is here for Williams - whether they need a Brazilian in the other seat to satisfy sponsors is irrelevant. They have a top class rookie on their books in the form of Nasr.

Bottas has demonstrated this year that he has the ability to run at the front and be the effective team leader. Massa's experience is no longer required. Get him out, get Nasr in, and suddenly Williams have one of the most exciting line-ups on the grid!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

A bit of an extreme statement from Wolff there. If Ross were still holding a significant position at the team I think he would have just banged Rosberg and Hamilton's heads together. He wouldn't have threatened them with the sack for either of them. Recent events really have exposed how different and dare I say, bad Wolff and Lauda are as team leaders compared to Brawn.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:

A bit of an extreme statement from Wolff there. If Ross were still holding a significant position at the team I think he would have just banged Rosberg and Hamilton's heads together. He wouldn't have threatened them with the sack for either of them. Recent events really have exposed how different and dare I say, bad Wolff and Lauda are as team leaders compared to Brawn.

That's quite true - Brawn would have done the hard talk behind closed doors and presented a much more conciliatory face to the media, knowing that such statements to the press only tend to stir up things between their drivers rather than cool things off.

On another note, it is a little amusing how two wildly different stories have cropped up in both The Guardian and The Telegraph, even though both articles are including the exact same comments from Ron Dennis.

The Guardian's take, which also factors in comments from Boullier over McLaren needing to show their form, suggests that McLaren are looking to stick with their current line up of Button and Magnussen for 2015 amid suggestions no driver wants to move until the Honda power unit proves competitive. Based on Boullier's comments, they are suggesting that McLaren will stick with Button, who is perhaps under more threat for his seat, because his popularity in Japan makes him potentially more marketable within Honda's home market than Hamilton.

The Telegraph, on the other hand, have ignored Boullier's comments about needing to prove their competitiveness and are instead focussing just on Ron's comments. That results in a very different interpretation, with their writer believing that McLaren are attempting to push one of their drivers out and intends to replace them with Hamilton.
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:I don't understand what the issue is here for Williams - whether they need a Brazilian in the other seat to satisfy sponsors is irrelevant. They have a top class rookie on their books in the form of Nasr.

Bottas has demonstrated this year that he has the ability to run at the front and be the effective team leader. Massa's experience is no longer required. Get him out, get Nasr in, and suddenly Williams have one of the most exciting line-ups on the grid!

Much as you may like that prospect, Williams have just announced that both Massa and Bottas are staying put for 2015 - the former already had a contract in place, so the announcement was more of a formality, whilst Williams have already exercised their option for Bottas and will be keeping him on too. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115750
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mario wrote:Much as you may like that prospect, Williams have just announced that both Massa and Bottas are staying put for 2015 - the former already had a contract in place, so the announcement was more of a formality, whilst Williams have already exercised their option for Bottas and will be keeping him on too. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115750

Honestly I expect Williams to perform quite badly in 2015, for in recent years they just haven't managed to maintain good form e.g. 2007, 2012
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mario wrote:Williams have just announced that both Massa and Bottas are staying put for 2015 - the former already had a contract in place, so the announcement was more of a formality, whilst Williams have already exercised their option for Bottas and will be keeping him on too. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115750

But Nasr would be a good addition to the team... and if Williams would bring another scrap car, then he could learn without pressure. Much as like Bottas did in 2013.
Sometimes I don't understand the driver decisions.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shizuka wrote:
mario wrote:Williams have just announced that both Massa and Bottas are staying put for 2015 - the former already had a contract in place, so the announcement was more of a formality, whilst Williams have already exercised their option for Bottas and will be keeping him on too. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115750

But Nasr would be a good addition to the team... and if Williams would bring another scrap car, then he could learn without pressure. Much as like Bottas did in 2013.
Sometimes I don't understand the driver decisions.

Frankly, after Nasr's performance in Monza, I've got my doubts whether or not he'd be an improvement over Massa - he had a golden opportunity to make up a lot of ground to Palmer and completely and utterly failed to do so.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Explosive claim from Adam Parr on Twitter:

"This is the last year of F1 as we know it. In 2015 eight teams will contest the championship, with several teams entering three cars."

Well certainly looks like Caterham's in trouble not sure about the others. Hard to know what connections Parr has these days but let's hope it's inaccurate, would be a terrible path for F1 to go down.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ed24 wrote:Explosive claim from Adam Parr on Twitter:

"This is the last year of F1 as we know it. In 2015 eight teams will contest the championship, with several teams entering three cars."

Well certainly looks like Caterham's in trouble not sure about the others. Hard to know what connections Parr has these days but let's hope it's inaccurate, would be a terrible path for F1 to go down.

Yeah, sounds like utter horseshit to me. It very well could happen, but that's like saying my grandad could grow tits.

There's also rumours that Sauber will be sold to Lawrence Stroll, and that Caterham will be absorbed into what was known as Forza Rossa, so yeah, I don't see three-car teams being a thing. Yet.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Apparntly if kurt bush wins nascar gene haas will give him an f1 test. Does he not realise f1 includes more than turning left?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

>Kurt Busch
>Testing an F1 car

Not that he'll win, but if he does... :D
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

andrew wrote:Does he not realise f1 includes more than turning left?

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Kurt Busch testing an F1 car will be awesome to watch :D :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:Kurt Busch testing an F1 car will be awesome to watch :D :D

Bugger that, it's obvious McLaren have signed Montoya for 2015, that's why he was in the paddock ;) He's replacing Button again.
Just For One Day...
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Salamander wrote:>Kurt Busch
>Testing an F1 car

Not that he'll win, but if he does... :D

...I thought he did quite well in an Indycar in May, well enough to be part of it full-time ;)
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Ed24 wrote:Explosive claim from Adam Parr on Twitter:

...someone has been reading my old FOTA GP1 thread back in the day...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

andrew wrote:Apparntly if kurt bush wins nascar gene haas will give him an f1 test. Does he not realise f1 includes more than turning left?

Kurt Busch is actually one of NASCAR's better road racers, and fared well when he tested a Champ Car at Sebring in 2003. I wouldn't expect you to know that, though...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It's only a rumour but fingers crossed...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/exclu ... 6/?v=2&s=1
Just For One Day...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

CoopsII wrote:It's only a rumour but fingers crossed...

Brilliant! Is he related to Ferrari's Lance Stroll?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Backmarker wrote:

He's the Daddy apparently. I'm not convinced it's a reliable source, he may just have walked past the Sauber pits and smiled, but right now it's probably Saubers best hope.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:
Backmarker wrote:

He's the Daddy apparently. I'm not convinced it's a reliable source, he may just have walked past the Sauber pits and smiled, but right now it's probably Saubers best hope.

I hope its true because Sauber are stalwarts of the sport now.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

That's got to be good news for Sauber. Being that or nothing, that is.
Wonder if they'll become benetton or andrea moda...
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

This is the the best news I have heard about Sauber in a while. I can't help but be cautiously optimistic about this
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

It definitely sounds better than the shady Russian investors from last year!
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:It definitely sounds better than the shady Russian investors from last year!

Indeed. We know who he is, we know he has money, and we know he has an interest in motorsport :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

*Four days ago* I won't resign as Ferrari's CEO.

*four days later* I'm resigning as Ferrari's CEO.

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/865839816.jpg?1410332284
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Miguel98 wrote:*Four days ago* I won't resign as Ferrari's CEO.

Hah! More like he received a phone call and was told to reconsider and by reconsider I mean quit.

The end of an era and, all things considered, it was a pretty good 23 year era for the F1 team. Many lows obviously but the highs were pretty historic. A pity they never signed Senna, though.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:*Four days ago* I won't resign as Ferrari's CEO.

Hah! More like he received a phone call and was told to reconsider and by reconsider I mean quit.

The end of an era and, all things considered, it was a pretty good 23 year era for the F1 team. Many lows obviously but the highs were pretty historic. A pity they never signed Senna, though.

This probably belongs in the Rantbox, but I am seriously sick of people constantly trying to link Senna to Ferrari. It never happened, so people should shut the bathplug up and not try to find any tenuous link between Ferrari and Senna
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.