In defense of Luca Badoer

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Salamander

In defense of Luca Badoer

Post by Salamander »

I came across a rather touching article today detailing the travails of Luca Badoer - it's probably preaching to the choir here but it's a great read nonetheless.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: In defense of Luca Badoer

Post by watka »

Very well constructed article, mirroring the F1Rejects profile. Badoer is judged by the current generation based on his 2009 performances and the pure statistics. Under the current points system, he would have 24 points to his name. I know that reliability was something else back in the 1990s, but you don't see anyone calling the current crop of drivers with no points or few points to their name as being one of the top 10 worst of all time (except maybe Ericsson!). I think what says it all is how much Fisichella struggled with the Ferrari after replacing Badoer. And of course, Badoer was subject to the curse that seems to be over all Italian drivers who get a drive at Ferrari!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Beautiful article. I never got the whole "Look how bad you are" craze even before I discovered this website and I wasn't even watching during his Forti or Minardi days. It was obvious that a 38-year-old with no experience with the 2009 cars and hadn't raced in just about anything in years was going to be well off the pace. I've seen Youtube comments (hardly a font of knowledge, I know) calling him appalling just for accidentally hitting another car in parc fermé (whereas Michael Schumacher has done this). Al Pease is another victim of this. In fact I've seen Pease at the top of a number of lists for worst F1 drivers (example here). It's also like this with teams like Simtek and even Arrows appearing on lists of worst F1 teams but far from deserve it. Here is a list that includes Arrows and other bizarre choices but does not include, off the top of my head, Life, Coloni, EuroBrun or (going by their logic) Minardi. Basically some (or most) people don't know the whole story and just judge based on the first video they see or the first statistics they find. :roll:
#FreeGonzo
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Simtek wrote:Beautiful article. I never got the whole "Look how bad you are" craze even before I discovered this website and I wasn't even watching during his Forti or Minardi days. It was obvious that a 38-year-old with no experience with the 2009 cars and hadn't raced in just about anything in years was going to be well off the pace. I've seen Youtube comments (hardly a font of knowledge, I know) calling him appalling just for accidentally hitting another car in parc fermé (whereas Michael Schumacher has done this). Al Pease is another victim of this. In fact I've seen Pease at the top of a number of lists for worst F1 drivers (example here). It's also like this with teams like Simtek and even Arrows appearing on lists of worst F1 teams but far from deserve it. Here is a list that includes Arrows and other bizarre choices but does not include, off the top of my head, Life, Coloni, EuroBrun or (going by their logic) Minardi. Basically some (or most) people don't know the whole story and just judge based on the first video they see or the first statistics they find. :roll:

Katayama and Aguri Suzuki both appear on worst driver lists despite neither of them deserving it, in my opinion (although I like Suzuki so I'm sort of biased).
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

On the 26th of this month it will 15 years since that race at the Nurburgring. The memory of that will still burn when the heat has gone from most of the current crop of Rejecful drivers.
Just For One Day...