2014 Shell Belgian GP Reject Of The Race Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
takagi_for_the_win

Re: 2014 Shell Belgian GP Reject Of The Race Thread

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

LukeB wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Whinelton? Seriously? How old are you, eleven? God almighty, some people need to grow up and remember it's just a sport at the end of the day.

I can't tell if you're mocking me or if we are of one mind :D

Nope, I hadn't seen your post when I posted that sorry. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote:If that incident had been between two drivers from different teams, I doubt anyone would have hardly raised an eyebrow!

Well, we did have a second clash between two drivers at the back of the field when Bianchi, having run wide at La Source, was clipped by Grosjean as he tried to return to the racing line, and few people seem to give much of a damn about that incident.

I do agree that perhaps the nature of the two drivers involved has perhaps coloured the interpretation of events. If, for example, we'd seen a similar incident between Maldonado and Grosjean, I would wager that certain sectors of the media would use such an incident would be used to continue berating Maldonado - no doubt claiming that it showed a lack of spatial awareness on track - irrespective of whether he was tagging the car ahead or the one being tagged.

More_Blue_Flags wrote:Ferrari. For that nonsense with Alonso's car just before and during the start of the warmup lap. I really thought I was going to see somebody get killed.

Perhaps I might seem like I'm banging this drum rather hard, but the more that I think back to this incident, the more and more disgusted that I am by what happened there.

The situation at Mercedes is a childish farce created by their own foolishness, but ultimately the worst that is going to happen there is that a few people will be nursing hurt egos - what happened with Alonso on the grid is a lot more cynical and nasty. Somebody there deliberately placed mechanics in a dangerous situation by ordering them back onto the racetrack and where it could have been much more than just a few egos that were hurt, and that to my mind is far worse.

The worst part is that you suspect that the person who made the call probably knew that any penalty that might be imposed on the team would have been very light and therefore didn't care less about racking up a penalty, not to mention showing a negligent attitude towards the welfare of his mechanics. A five second penalty is too light in the circumstances - perhaps some might think it harsh, but honestly I would have wanted to have seen Alonso black flagged for that.

Yes, I know that it is harsh on Alonso given he had no control over the situation (and some of his hand gestures seem to suggest he was trying to send the mechanics away), but given the danger of the situation, they should have penalised the team more harshly - and hitting the team hard by preventing them taking points from the race and publicly shaming them for their actions would be, to my mind, a far stronger deterrent.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

I nominate Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda, for their complete train-wreck of a PR mess after the race. Wolff was obviously furious, but you don't say anything to the press when you're that angry.
W12

Post by W12 »

I nominate Mercedes and Lotus.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

ROTR for me goes to Mercedes as a whole - team mates sort of collide (probably due) but the way it was handled after is starting to make Multi 21 look like an exercise in good PR

Though a close second is Alonso's mechanics at the start, that was just amateurish

Dishonourable mention for Lewisteria, BBC website included
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I got to give it to the piece of Hamilton's tyre getting wrapped around the communications antenna on Rosberg's car (karma). I have never seen anything like that. Never.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

golic_2004 wrote:I got to give it to the piece of Hamilton's tyre getting wrapped around the communications antenna on Rosberg's car (karma). I have never seen anything like that. Never.

That may have been from another car altogether...
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

ADx_Wales wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:I got to give it to the piece of Hamilton's tyre getting wrapped around the communications antenna on Rosberg's car (karma). I have never seen anything like that. Never.

That may have been from another car altogether...

The replay I saw of Rosberg picking up that debris indicated he was pulling out of a Sauber's slipstream, which could make sense as a Sauber was caught in a first corner incident with Bianchi which saw a punctured tyre as well.

ROTR for me will be shared between Mercedes, Ferrari mechanics, the booing crowd, and Lewisteria. I can't really tell these apart as to how pathetic all sides were this weekend.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
razta

Post by razta »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Do you now see why I don't want Lewis Hamilton to win this world championship? As much as the Vettel years were dull at least he never compared himself to Schumacher every 5 minutes and always thanked the team. As you said the Lewis fan club were ripping into Rosberg today and that's the problem. They type like they only started watching F1 in 2007 when he joined.

I've tried arguing with them non-stop to at least slap some perspective into them but no they've just shot me down in flames claiming that all us seasoned fans have to support Hamilton due to his so called "Greatness". I told you about what a fanboy accused me of after Bahrain right? Sums them up. I think it was extremely harsh for Vettel to get booed last season because multi 21 aside he just did what he was there to do all season but Hamilton just gives us ammo to fire at him every single race.

Dude.. My facebook Merc fans page and twitter went ballistic with HamFanboys and fan girls.. I was being objective and next thing you know I'm the bad guy lol
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Official decision - which you would already know if you've listened to the Belgian GP podcast.

But a joint decision from Jamie and me to both Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton. As we explained in the podcast, for Rosberg because he didn't know when to give up, and Hamilton because he spent the rest of the race madly trying to give up.

Much has already been said about their collision, but if Nico was trying to prove a point by hanging tough, then I don't really know what point he ended up proving. As for Lewis, let's just say that in so many ways he is completely different to Nigel Mansell (can you imagine: (a) Nigel with tatts and hip-hopping hangers-on, and (b) Lewis with a moustache?), and yet he is also like Ol' Nige in seemingly always fluctuating between negativity on one hand and paranoia on the other.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

razta wrote:Dude.. My facebook Merc fans page and twitter went ballistic with HamFanboys and fan girls.. I was being objective and next thing you know I'm the bad guy lol

You should know that when the topic switches to Lewis Hamilton, Freezy is very much not objective.
TORA! TORA! TORA!