See what I've found!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Julien

See what I've found!

Post by Julien »

So we were on holiday in Tuscany with my GF, sleeping in a hotel in Montecatini Terme and I found this tiny museum with a handful of sportscars. Ferrari F40, Lamborgini Countach, Ferrari F355. This kind of cars. It was closed due holiday, and the whole thing was only one small room, but it had a huge window and I found this baby sitting in the front row.

Seeing a car like this in itself is very interesting, but then my girlfriend spotted something on the green stripe on the windshield...

The car was signed by Arturo Merzario himself! I certainly did not expect to find something like this in a small Italian town :)
The single question remained: When did Merzario actually drove this car? I was through his results but I couldn't find any when he was driving this particular model. Any ideas?
midgrid

Re: See what I've found!

Post by midgrid »

Great find! Although this is what I like to imagine a normal Italian garage looks like... :lol:

I think your question may well be suited for somewhere like the Nostalgia section of the Autosport forums - they might also be able to ID the other signature to the right of Merzario's. I think the car may well be a Porsche 906, but it's difficult to tell, as there were several similar models and variants competing at around the same time, and I'm not an expert in this field.

After a little bit of digging, I found these two photos of the same car at a show in Montecatini Terme, in Tuscany.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck