The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DemocalypseNow

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:And in other news, Stoke have announced the arrival of Bojan Krkic, once the next big thing, from Barcelona. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm so happy it's not even funny :D :D

I apologise, but I'm going to piss on your parade a bit here. He'll struggle. He's a big name on paper but he's been out of sorts for several years now. He made little difference at both Roma and AC Milan. He's been loaned to three clubs, all have had options to buy, all have sent him back to Barca. It's a high-profile signing, but he won't play well. I expect him to flop pretty badly and the fans will turn on him. Frankly, I'd take Robert Snodgrass over Bojan.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Funny how Barcelona were meant to have a transfer ban but have spent £125m in the transfer window so far...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Biscione wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:And in other news, Stoke have announced the arrival of Bojan Krkic, once the next big thing, from Barcelona. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm so happy it's not even funny :D :D

I apologise, but I'm going to piss on your parade a bit here. He'll struggle. He's a big name on paper but he's been out of sorts for several years now. He made little difference at both Roma and AC Milan. He's been loaned to three clubs, all have had options to buy, all have sent him back to Barca. It's a high-profile signing, but he won't play well. I expect him to flop pretty badly and the fans will turn on him. Frankly, I'd take Robert Snodgrass over Bojan.

Oh yeah, it's inevitable really. It's more the fact that we are now looking to sign players that have played for Barca, Milan, Roma and Ajax is what excites me. Let's face it, Bojan probably isn't half the striker that Marko Arnautovic is,

And in more Barca news, they've signed Mathieu for 16 million sterling. Great business there!

[/sarcasm]
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Good job Liverpool. :|

Fantastic job Manchester United! :D
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

go_Rubens wrote:Good job Liverpool. :|

Pssht, the LA Galaxy are by no means of the imagination the best team in the MLS. Seattle and Kansas City are much better than them.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Aerospeed wrote:

Pssht, the LA Galaxy are by no means of the imagination the best team in the MLS. Seattle and Kansas City are much better than them.

The point I was trying to make was that Manchester United actually looked like a well oiled machine for once.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:

The point I was trying to make was that Manchester United actually looked like a well oiled machine for once.

Bear in mind the stark contrast to Man U losing 1-0 to a Thai XI in Moyes' first game in change.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

And Calum Chambers goes to Arsenal for 16 million. The Southampton fire sale continues... :?
Trulli bad puns...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

No wonder Pochettino left for Tottenahm. He probably learned of the board's intention to cash in and jumped off the sinking ship. I wonder of Ronald Koeman feels duped right now. Apparently Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez will be on their way to Spurs momentarily as well.

It could be worse though; you could be a Blackpool fan. They only have 11 players. Literally. Eleven. And none of those eleven are keepers! I can't wait for FM2015 to be released, just so I manage Blackpool - this is the first 'doomsday' gameplay scenario in FM I suppose :lol:

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:It could be worse though; you could be a Blackpool fan. They only have 11 players. Literally. Eleven. And none of those eleven are keepers! I can't wait for FM2015 to be released, just so I manage Blackpool - this is the first 'doomsday' gameplay scenario in FM I suppose :lol:

They only had 8 players this time yesterday, they may have a big enough squad in time for the start of the football season.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Biscione wrote:It could be worse though; you could be a Blackpool fan. They only have 11 players. Literally. Eleven. And none of those eleven are keepers! I can't wait for FM2015 to be released, just so I manage Blackpool - this is the first 'doomsday' gameplay scenario in FM I suppose :lol:

They only had 8 players this time yesterday, they may have a big enough squad in time for the start of the football season.

So this is the reason they don't release the FIFA games until mid-September!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

So this is the reason they don't release the FIFA games until mid-September!

It's actually twelve now. They secured Delfouneso from Villa.

After all the strikers Inter were linked with over the past few months - Dzeko, Hernandez, Jovetic, Villa, Eto'o, Soldado - instead we end up with Dani Osvaldo. One of the few people that makes Balotelli look like a level-headed professional :roll:

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Manchester United is actually looking great for the first time in a while. I'm starting to like what I'm seeing on the field from them...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

In further football reject news: I was wondering what would become of Woodford United at the end of last season. Relegated two divisions after being whitewashed in 2012-13, they managed one solitary win in the 2013-14 United Counties League Division One, and a lot of heavy defeats, shipping 200 goals in the season. Where would they be relegated to this time? Oblivion in some Northamptonshire Sunday league?

Not a bit of it. They've gone nowhere and are in for another season of being battered senseless every weekend. Blackstones, in particular, will want revenge for being the first team to taste defeat to Woodford (at home as well...) in 66 games. And as only one game has been played so far, it was a draw and Woodford weren't involved, they're already sitting bottom of the table just because of being the last alphabetically listed team.

So let's hear it once again for the rejects of Midlands football!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:In further football reject news: I was wondering what would become of Woodford United at the end of last season. Relegated two divisions after being whitewashed in 2012-13, they managed one solitary win in the 2013-14 United Counties League Division One, and a lot of heavy defeats, shipping 200 goals in the season. Where would they be relegated to this time? Oblivion in some Northamptonshire Sunday league?

Not a bit of it. They've gone nowhere and are in for another season of being battered senseless every weekend. Blackstones, in particular, will want revenge for being the first team to taste defeat to Woodford (at home as well...) in 66 games. And as only one game has been played so far, it was a draw and Woodford weren't involved, they're already sitting bottom of the table just because of being the last alphabetically listed team.

So let's hear it once again for the rejects of Midlands football!

Really puts things into perspective doesn't it? I imagine even we'll win a home game before they do.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Going to see Liverpool vs Dortmund today. Come on you reds
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Ah bathplug it, in the 3rd round of the Belgian cup, my local team (Hades) just lost against TommyKL's local team (Sprimont Comblain) with 0-2 :cry:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Damn it, Arseholes, sorry, I meant Arsenal win the community shield.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Ah bathplug it, in the 3rd round of the Belgian cup, my local team (Hades) just lost against TommyKL's local team (Sprimont Comblain) with 0-2 :cry:

'EEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :mrgreen:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

This wrote:Ah bathplug it, in the 3rd round of the Belgian cup, my local team (Hades) just lost against TommyKL's local team (Sprimont Comblain) with 0-2 :cry:

Sorry to hear that. But at least they made it to the 3rd round, my local team (Ulverstone) only got through to the second round of qualifying in Tasmania for the FFA Cup.
Officially Retired
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

HawkAussie wrote:

Sorry to hear that. But at least they made it to the 3rd round, my local team (Ulverstone) only got through to the second round of qualifying in Tasmania for the FFA Cup.

Well, to be fair, Sprimont plays one division higher, so losing by 0-2 is by no means embarassing. I just find it funny that from all possible teams they could meet, it just had to be the team from the other forum-member!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

HawkAussie wrote:

Well, considering that there are no qualifying rounds here, it's actually not brilliant :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

So Tony Pulis has been sacked... I really don't know why, the team placed 11th, they had a good chance of beating relegation this season... Did he not get along with the management? Very bizarre.

On the other hand, apparently the bookies have placed David Moyes as a favourite to replace Pulis :? :?: :?:
Trulli bad puns...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wow, crazy to see Pulis has gone. Officially, it was "mutual consent" and not a sacking, which rather suggests it was Pulis who wanted to go...probably due to the fact that Palace have been pipped to a number of transfers, for example being beaten by QPR to the signing of Caulker and Swansea to the signing of Sigurdsson.

In other news, Southampton have spaffed away £12m on Shane Long, the Premier League's most average striker. I think they could have done better for less...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Sticking my neck on the line and predicting West Brom, Swansea and Crystal Palace to go down. That's right, I think all of the promoted teams will survive. In fact, I'm not sure any of them will even be in the bottom 5.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

watka wrote:Sticking my neck on the line and predicting West Brom, Swansea and Crystal Palace to go down. That's right, I think all of the promoted teams will survive. In fact, I'm not sure any of them will even be in the bottom 5.

QPR above the bottom 5? That's a bit too much. At the most, maybe just outside relegation. Burnley is the least impressive out of the ones who promoted, so that's my first candidate. West Ham keeps flirting in the relegation zone so I say it's time they finally get relegated. And the final relegation spot will probably go to either QPR, Crystal Palace, or Aston Villa.
Trulli bad puns...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

So Conte is now manager of Italian national team. Given his previous team, this will likely piss Biscione :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I find it hard to believe that Burnley won't go back to exactly where they came from, but the other two I can surely see staying up.

In regards to the Pulis thing, I would expect he wanted to leave with his reputation intact, probably tired of the owners not fulfilling promises made or refusing to make promises he deemed necessary for Palace to survive in the top flight. In other words, he didn't want to be captain of a sinking ship.

I think Southampton could be at risk - it will depend heavly on a) the quality of graduates from the youth academy this season and b) who they bring in between then and now. Their signings so far have been extremely underwhelming. Long is not going to be able to replace Lambert for example, the lad can't even muster double digits a season in goals. His probable strike partner Pelle may have been on form for Feyenoord, but he was really rather hopeless during his Serie A stint. Maybe he's improved since I last saw him regularly, but if he hasn't come on leaps and bounds since his Parma days, he's not going to make an impact. Their one signing that does stand out is Fraser Forster - an outstanding keeper, but the man between the sticks on his own can't keep a club out of the relegation zone. They also brought in Saphir Taider - he'll be a useful squad player, but he's not of the calibre to be a key player for them. At least with guys like Forster, Hooiveld, Wanyama and Ramirez, they aren't going into the new season desperately lacking quality, but they'll need a couple more big signings to ensure safety.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:I find it hard to believe that Burnley won't go back to exactly where they came from, but the other two I can surely see staying up.

Yeah, I really can't picture Burnley beating the drop, they'll probably join West Brom in the Championship

As for the third team, your guess is as good as mine. I can see it being very close
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'm banking on Burnley having the element of surprise. Also, Sean Dyche is excellent manager who is used to getting the best out of the resources at hand.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Sean Dyche - a man with a voice that makes Flavio Briatore and Andre Vilas Boas sound like leaders of the Elfes of Middle earth.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Twitter be like #VanGaalOut already :lol: :? :| :arrow:
Trulli bad puns...
takagi_for_the_win

Van Gaal out. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Van Gaal didn't win a 09/10 league game with Bayern until the fourth match, and they still won the Bundesliga. If people are dumb enough to want Van Gaal out already, then they know bathplug all about football.

Fantastic result for Swansea though, I guess you could say Sung-Yeung is a Ki player...*shows self out*
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

People want Van Gall out and Moyes back in. :lol:

Fellaini is the biggest disappointment ever.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

It happened, it actually happened. We won at home in the league, and therefore only have the joint Football League record of most home games without a win.

Ataxia wrote:Van Gaal didn't win a 09/10 league game with Bayern until the fourth match, and they still won the Bundesliga. If people are dumb enough to want Van Gaal out already, then they know bathplug all about football.

United fans have no patience, they're still used to winning everything, it's given them a sense of entitlement. Fans from most clubs also expect instant results, but United seem to be worse than most in that regard.

Still, if you start Tyler Blackett, you deserve to lose.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Ataxia wrote:Fantastic result for Swansea though, I guess you could say Sung-Yeung is a Ki player...*shows self out*
If he ever ventures onto forums like this one, thats probably the worst pun he's ever read in his Korea <runs away>
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Aerospeed wrote:Twitter be like #VanGaalOut already :lol: :? :| :arrow:

On twitter, as a joke, I wrote this when Holland were losing to Australia in the world cup, and instantly had a load of dutch teenage whingers saying I knew nothing about football...

...still, even though it's only the first competitive match, I was frighteningly accurate :-S...

Change of subject:

Is it a bit stupid that the premier league crowds are cheering the free kick shaving foam?
takagi_for_the_win

Well we lost to Aston Villa. Aston freaking Villa. Ah well, my gut reaction is that is was a fluke result, fingers crossed in right :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!