Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
LellaLombardi

Re: Felipe Massa: Not all thatta

Post by LellaLombardi »

I find it quite funny that he said of the accident with Magnussen: "I was in front. If someone needs to watch, it's the car behind."

Er...so where were you when you and Perez crashed then?
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Is it just me or is all this negativity a bit over the top? It's like you guys have just been waiting for the opportunity to put the boot in :lol: Did he also nail your ex or something?

In my view, but some unfortunate incidents some of which he must take responsibility for, Massa could've been The Best Of The Rest so far this season. I know, I know, if this, if that, if my Auntie had balls she'd by my Uncle and so on. I have hope that with a bit of good luck he'll turn it round and this thread will be as redundant as a Eunuch in a testicle test factory...
Just For One Day...
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

LellaLombardi wrote:I find it quite funny that he said of the accident with Magnussen: "I was in front. If someone needs to watch, it's the car behind."

Er...so where were you when you and Perez crashed then?

He must be one of the best at placing his car in positions where he's almost daring the other guy to take him out. Then afterwards he always has the hangdog 'why me' face. Sorry mate, eventually you have to look around and ask "Why do most other people seem capable of avoiding these type of incidents?"

I admit this season so far has been confirmation bias for my already low opinion of his talents. However it happens to be supported statistically.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Well I would love Felipe to prove me wrong, make the most of his Williams and take one more victory before he goes. But I really doubt he will.

I think the bad feeling is largely because the talent pool in F1 is particularly good at the moment, and I would love to see what several other drivers could do with that Williams.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
mario

Post by mario »

jackanderton, I hope that you do not mind me moving this into the Rantbox, where a topic like this might be better placed.

jackanderton wrote:-Outperformed by Raikkonen
-One excellent season and unlucky not to win the title
-Dominated and then psychologically destroyed by Alonso
-Went a whole season with Ferrari without finishing on the podium
-No race victories in 4 and a half seasons with Ferrari
-Being taught how to drive sensibly and quickly by Bottas, a relative rookie

-Always involved in collisions that are always mysteriously not his fault (by continually putting his car in positions where the other guy has to take evasive action or wipe him out)

- Can't mentally process instinctive race situations where more than one other car is near him.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Kimi had the better of Massa overall - in 2007, Mass and Kimi switched places in the standings before Kimi eventually built up enough of a points gap in the final few races that Ferrari were forced to back him over Massa. In 2008, Kimi was moderately competitive but struggled to maintain the same level of consistency as Massa and eventually fell back behind him, whilst in 2009 he was ahead of Kimi in the standings and had managed five consecutive top six finishes at the time of his accident in Hungary.

Asides from that, I'd probably quibble over the "one decent season" suggestion too - I would suggest that it would be more like 2 at least (his 2007 season was fairly decent), and probably more like 3 and a half (you could perhaps make a case for 2006 and the half season he had in 2009 up to the point of his accident).

CoopsII wrote:Is it just me or is all this negativity a bit over the top? It's like you guys have just been waiting for the opportunity to put the boot in :lol: Did he also nail your ex or something?

In my view, but some unfortunate incidents some of which he must take responsibility for, Massa could've been The Best Of The Rest so far this season. I know, I know, if this, if that, if my Auntie had balls she'd by my Uncle and so on. I have hope that with a bit of good luck he'll turn it round and this thread will be as redundant as a Eunuch in a testicle test factory...

I think that part of the reason why the reaction against Massa has been harsher than usual would be the fact that Massa's harsher comments these days are in sharp contrast with the way in which he handled misfortune and setbacks in previous years.

Think about how he handed the way in which he lost out on the title in 2008 with considerable humility and restraint, an approach that won him much respect and admiration from critics and fans alike. by contrast, the perception these days is that Massa is quicker to criticise others and the traits that won him admiration are less on show. It's not necessarily that he had a bad attitude - there have been many drivers in the sport who have been far worse (Piquet Sr. and Piquet Jr. both come to mind as examples of drivers with poor attitudes) - but it is the fact that it is juxtaposed with the memory of a far more pleasant demeanour that perhaps explain why people are somewhat harsh towards him.

Added to that, I think that perhaps there is a sense that Massa's final years at Ferrari were something of a waste, in as much as there are those that feel that his performance at one of the more prestigious teams in F1 was not commensurate with the rewards he was given, and that he effectively denied other drivers, such as Kubica, a shot at driving for Ferrari and putting in a more competitive performance.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Re: Rantbox

Post by DonTirri »

Seriously. WHAT THE bathplug HAS HAPPENED TO THIS FORUM?

We got bitching about *insertdriverhere* on the left. We got childish arguments over *insertdumbtopichere* on the right. We got an endless stream of "funny" inside jokes, downright weird obsessions and obnoxious users on the center.

The last few years has been a steady downward spiral for the quality of these boards. I seriously miss the days when I was the most obnoxious user, cause back then the rest of the boards quality drowned out my inane bullcrap.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

DonTirri wrote:Seriously. WHAT THE bathplug HAS HAPPENED TO THIS FORUM?

We got bitching about *insertdriverhere* on the left. We got childish arguments over *insertdumbtopichere* on the right. We got an endless stream of "funny" inside jokes, downright weird obsessions and obnoxious users on the center.

The last few years has been a steady downward spiral for the quality of these boards. I seriously miss the days when I was the most obnoxious user, cause back then the rest of the boards quality drowned out my inane bullcrap.

Fighting bitching with bitching has never solved bitching. Forum dynamics change over the years, so you have 3 choices: try to positively influence it, try to negatively influence it, or try to not influence it at all.
I see this post as 'deliberate negative influence' because obviously, you're trying to provoke a reaction. (which you have already got now, so you reached your target) Some people are annoying, deal with it, or quit society.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DonTirri wrote: I seriously miss the days when I was the most obnoxious user, cause back then the rest of the boards quality drowned out my inane bullcrap.

If you wanted to go back to being an idiot I don't think anybody would give a shite to be honest.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This wrote:Fighting bitching with bitching has never solved bitching. Forum dynamics change over the years, so you have 3 choices: try to positively influence it, try to negatively influence it, or try to not influence it at all.
I see this post as 'deliberate negative influence' because obviously, you're trying to provoke a reaction. (which you have already got now, so you reached your target) Some people are annoying, deal with it, or quit society.

I find it quite funny (for real) that the guy who used to annoy people around here is now complaining of being annoyed by some others. It's just like if Vettel suddenly started complaining about being mistreated as a number two driver by Red Bull. :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Really? Because I just had a look at some threads from the "golden days" of the forum, i.e. 2009, and I can see loads of bitching about drivers, specifically Nelson Piquet Jr, but also Kamui Kobayashi, about the other mid-season replacements, and Kimi stealing Force India's first win at Spa that year...

Anyway, my point is, bitching about drivers has and will always happen on these boards. Don't like it? Deal with it. 8-)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

East Londoner wrote:

Really? Because I just had a look at some threads from the "golden days" of the forum, i.e. 2009, and I can see loads of bitching about drivers, specifically Nelson Piquet Jr, but also Kamui Kobayashi, about the other mid-season replacements, and Kimi stealing Force India's first win at Spa that year...

Anyway, my point is, bitching about drivers has and will always happen on these boards. Don't like it? Deal with it. 8-)

So much this. While I admit, last summer was a bit of a high water mark (in terms of virol, not necessarily quantity) these boards have always had these types of threads. Saying otherwise is rose-colored glasses.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

East Londoner wrote:

I'm still bitter about the Spa 2009 incident :twisted:
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

If you really feel the need to constantly bitch about anything in every second post you make here, you need to either grow up or bathplug off
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

You know what grinds my gears? Every single complaint about DRS or double points.

Firstly, I'm annoyed by the spurious use of the word "artificial". The official dictionary definition states that artificial is "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural". Now, excuse my critique, but that rather defines the entire notion of motorsport, no?

Secondly, it's the very act of complaining about it. DRS has proven itself to be a simple solution to the oft-lamented lack of overtaking in Formula 1. Unlike the use of KERS, however, it has been criticised for being (here's that word again!) an artificial solution. Yet, these complaints very rarely come with an appropriate and implementable solution that can be used in lieu of DRS. It's a decent enough solution, and I wish that we had it in F1 earlier! In fact, if we did, I'd wager less people would complain since a lot of F1 fans pine for days gone by.

And then there's the double points thing. Yes, we get it, it might end up producing an "unfair" result. However, life's unfair. For the reasons I've explained before (and were promptly trodden on because it offered a contrary point of view to the majority), it might end up producing a thrilling, spectacular Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with people making more hay that usual because the next place up offers double the glory. On the other hand, we might not. It's okay to speculate and offer opinions and that, but to deride it as "shite" before it's even happened is a poor show indeed. That's like saying a movie's crap without even watching even a trailer.

Lastly, it really doesn't matter who the hell wins the damn thing anyway. We're fans of the sport, we watch it for the racing and we watch it for the spectacle. If these things all help both of those things, then why on earth are we criticising?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Lastly, it really doesn't matter who the hell wins the damn thing anyway. We're fans of...

...F1 Rejects dammit. Of course we don't care who wins. Up Bruno Senna! Up Susie Wolff! Up Sakon Yamamoto and Yuji Ide! Up Hans Heyer, Al Pease, MasterCard Lola and Simtek!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RAK

Post by RAK »

Ataxia wrote:thrilling, spectacular

Ataxia wrote:Abu Dhabi

Not going to happen. The problem lies as much in the track as anything else; having it as the last race in the season is bad enough, but the double points give the venue a modicum of importance that the track's conformation or the country itself do not deserve. You might be able to make a case for a double points round at Monaco, for instance, or for the teams to have a joker round at a venue of their choice, but I don't think there are any compelling arguments for Abu Dhabi having the double points round.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

RAK wrote:
Ataxia wrote:thrilling, spectacular

Ataxia wrote:Abu Dhabi

Not going to happen. The problem lies as much in the track as anything else; having it as the last race in the season is bad enough, but the double points give the venue a modicum of importance that the track's conformation or the country itself do not deserve. You might be able to make a case for a double points round at Monaco, for instance, or for the teams to have a joker round at a venue of their choice, but I don't think there are any compelling arguments for Abu Dhabi having the double points round.

See, this is the issue; you've written it off before it's already happened! If it ends up being a dull race, fine, then it's a bad call.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Ataxia wrote:Lastly, it really doesn't matter who the hell wins the damn thing anyway. We're fans of the sport, we watch it for the racing and we watch it for the spectacle. If these things all help both of those things, then why on earth are we criticising?

F1 fans have always been legendarily impossible to please, and perhaps many are prone to frequently complaining (I'll confess I'm guilty of this myself in regards to DRS), I really don't think that 'being a fan of the sport' makes it impervious to critcism - if anything it should be the contrary. This line was trotted out regularly last year to those who didn't like the Red Bull domination or dared question the status quo, with it often levelled that they weren't 'true fans.' But if we regard the formula this year - part introduced due to environmental concerns and road relevancy of course, but many of the regulations tailored towards curbing one particular designer's utter genius (in a large part due to fan disillusionment) and thus levelling the field more, we've had an absolutely incredible start to the season.

The racing is the spectacle. DRS and double points are labelled artificial because they are falsely attempting to create tension and 'spectacle' from things that have occurred in the past of their own volition; overtaking and final race showdowns are now "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural." But this then devalues these otherwise exciting aspects of the sport - as much as I really, really don't like the guy, Eddie Irvine really does summarise it perfectly here. As long as criticism is tempered with positive feedback and not simply mindless 'absolutely everything was better in the 80's,' I feel fans are perfectly entitled to speak up towards those who run the sport. This is also why I've been so disillusioned with David 'Red Bull' Coulthard - commentators and other media pundits have become the viewing public's conduit for fan opinion to those who are in charge of operations, and other than DRS and double points it actually seems to have had a really positive effect this year.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:And then there's the double points thing. Yes, we get it, it might end up producing an "unfair" result. However, life's unfair.

True enough but isn't sport supposed to be fair?
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:And then there's the double points thing. Yes, we get it, it might end up producing an "unfair" result. However, life's unfair.

Well, it isn't in every other facet. For example, the championship payments keep the rich teams rich and the poor teams poor. I don't deny that that's a shitty state to be in, but if F1's going to be made "fair" then the whole sport needs to be looked at and not just have it pinned on one unpopular idea.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Well, it isn't in every other facet.

Every other facet? Thought it was going to be a sensible discussion but actually I'm being trolled. Damn. OK, you win you're right I'm wrong now go have a wank or whatever :lol:
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Lastly, it really doesn't matter who the hell wins the damn thing anyway. We're fans of...

...F1 Rejects dammit. Of course we don't care who wins. Up Bruno Senna! Up Susie Wolff! Up Sakon Yamamoto and Yuji Ide! Up Hans Heyer, Al Pease, MasterCard Lola and Simtek!

This man gets it.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:

Up Perry McCarthy! Up Taki Inoue, Hideki Noda, Jean Denis Deletraz, Giovanni Lavaggi, Pacific, Eurobrun, Coloni, Onyx and Andrea Moda.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

CoopsII wrote: have a wank or whatever :lol:

Flaschenpost? Art thou there?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:Every other facet? Thought it was going to be a sensible discussion but actually I'm being trolled. Damn. OK, you win you're right I'm wrong now go have a wank or whatever :lol:

I misread "sport" as "THE sport". So, erm, yeah, there's that...point is, F1's not exactly fair.

Anyway, I'll step back from this discussion now since I appear to be getting more and more cynical...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Up Perry McCarthy! Up Taki Inoue, Hideki Noda, Jean Denis Deletraz, Giovanni Lavaggi, Pacific, Eurobrun, Coloni, Onyx and Andrea Moda.

Don't forget Super Aguri, Midland+Spyker, HRT, HWNSNBM, Max Chilton... and anyone else? ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

FMecha wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:...F1 Rejects dammit. Of course we don't care who wins. Up Bruno Senna! Up Susie Wolff! Up Sakon Yamamoto and Yuji Ide! Up Hans Heyer, Al Pease, MasterCard Lola and Simtek!

Don't forget Super Aguri, Midland+Spyker, HRT, HWNSNBM, Max Chilton... and anyone else? ;)

Our webmasters. <3
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

FMecha wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Up Crosswinds!

Too far?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
FMecha wrote:
dr-baker wrote:[quote="Ataxia"
Lastly, it really doesn't matter who the hell wins the damn thing anyway. We're fans of...

Up Crosswinds!

Too far?

No... Crosswinds is a step up from GoDaddy...

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/status/497320781551243264

Really? Run off areas in Parabolica? Are you frickin' kidding me?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Miguel98 wrote:https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/status/497320781551243264

Yeah, it's a real shame. The reason for the addition of run-off is because World Superbikes is potentially returning to Monza, but it's still being bastardised. The day they put run-off tarmac at the Lesmos will be the day Monza officially loses its soul.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

So many sads :(
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Parabollocks.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:

Yeah, it's a real shame. The reason for the addition of run-off is because World Superbikes is potentially returning to Monza, but it's still being bastardised. The day they put run-off tarmac at the Lesmos will be the day Monza officially loses its soul.

If that is the case, then it would make sense given that the modifications to Silverstone that were made in order to accommodate MotoGP (the new layout that avoided the old Bridge complex and the construction of tarmac run off areas).

I understand FIM have a strong preference for tarmac run off areas because they are considered less likely to injure riders, since bikes are less likely to be flipped and, although there is an increased risk of injuries due to sliding along the ground, that is considered a lower risk than the potential for more serious injuries when a rider is thrown from a bike or is sent tumbling across a gravel trap if either the bike or the rider himself digs into the ground.
It may take away some of the classic features of the track, but at the same time we have to bear in mind that there are numerous other series that use the same tracks as F1 does, so inevitably there has to be a compromise between F1 and other series. If it makes things safer for motorcyclists and other series, well, I guess that ultimately it is worth the compromise.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

mario wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

If that is the case, then it would make sense given that the modifications to Silverstone that were made in order to accommodate MotoGP (the new layout that avoided the old Bridge complex and the construction of tarmac run off areas).

I understand FIM have a strong preference for tarmac run off areas because they are considered less likely to injure riders, since bikes are less likely to be flipped and, although there is an increased risk of injuries due to sliding along the ground, that is considered a lower risk than the potential for more serious injuries when a rider is thrown from a bike or is sent tumbling across a gravel trap if either the bike or the rider himself digs into the ground.
It may take away some of the classic features of the track, but at the same time we have to bear in mind that there are numerous other series that use the same tracks as F1 does, so inevitably there has to be a compromise between F1 and other series. If it makes things safer for motorcyclists and other series, well, I guess that ultimately it is worth the compromise.

It seems only the entrance to Parabolica is going to be covered in tarmac and not the exit, if a car runs off at the entrance to Parabolica no amount of run off will save time and frankly with gravel there it could only lead to a horrendous incident.
Message me on Discord.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

You know how some people want drivers to be heroes again? Yeah, having more runoff isn't going to help me appreciate driver skill. I'd much prefer walls next to the track and less runoff... even if you have to put temporary walls up for the Grand Prix, do it. :\

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It appears that they have added tarmac for 1 metre along the entire boundary of the corner, I withdraw my previous message and am now ranting.
Message me on Discord.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

They've tarmaced Parabolica?! Where will gentlemen GT drivers collide and spin-off into kitty litter now? Where will we turn to when we need to find the glorious lime green Ferrari of Vadim Kogay?

:cry:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Shadaza wrote:It appears that they have added tarmac for 1 metre along the entire boundary of the corner, I withdraw my previous message and am now ranting.

One metre? That's not even a car width. I'm not too fussed.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tommykl wrote:
Shadaza wrote:It appears that they have added tarmac for 1 metre along the entire boundary of the corner, I withdraw my previous message and am now ranting.

One metre? That's not even a car width. I'm not too fussed.

I don't understand Shadaza's comment; this is what I've seen of the changes so far;
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image