Submitted article: Review of Psygnosis' "Formula 1"

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Shizuka

Re: Submitted article: Review of Psygnosis' "Formula 1"

Post by Shizuka »

tristan1117 wrote:As this game was released when I was less than a year old, I never had the chance to play it. I did, however, find a hilariously bad review of the game on Youtube a few years ago. It must be seen to be believed.

Ah yeah, navgtr. They did a few hundred like that.
Also they even had a typo in the game: "Formual 1"...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Another old game worth mentioning is "F1 Heavenly Symphony" (released in the USA as F1 Beyond The Limit) on the Mega CD. Technically it's a great game for its time. It also has a feature called "1993 Mode" where at each GP you are placed in a real situation which occured. (Such as battling Derek Warwick for 5th as JJ Lehto in Kyalami, getting provisional pole as Hill at Silverstone, holding off Prost as the mystery McLaren driver(!) in Adelaide)

Might also have been the first officially licenced F1 game to have a stab at a career mode!
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Just wanted to thank you all for the response to this - I may well submit more stuff to the website in future.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

MadGaz85 wrote:Another old game worth mentioning is "F1 Heavenly Symphony" (released in the USA as F1 Beyond The Limit) on the Mega CD. Technically it's a great game for its time. It also has a feature called "1993 Mode" where at each GP you are placed in a real situation which occured. (Such as battling Derek Warwick for 5th as JJ Lehto in Kyalami, getting provisional pole as Hill at Silverstone, holding off Prost as the mystery McLaren driver(!) in Adelaide)

Might also have been the first officially licenced F1 game to have a stab at a career mode!

Most of the F1 games in the 90's were made for Sega consoles only.They were also many memorable games such as SMGP and ASMGP2,F-1 and F1 Championship edition (yep).But,the games released on SNES were also good,most notably,the Human GP series and Nigel Mansell WC.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

I think that Nigel Mansell game may have the been the first F1 game released in the West to have a full official licence. Followed closely by Domark's F1.

Although in both games, you can't choose your team!

There was also F1 Grand Prix series on the SNES, fully licenced for the 1991, 92 and 93 seasons. I think the 93 one had the option to create your own team from scratch, although it's all in Japanese. But still, play the 92 game and you can have a go in the Andrea Moda! :) It's of course, very difficult to even make the grid in it.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

From Psygnosis' "Formula 1" for PS1 and onwards, I have kept every single F1 game released for the Sony consoles.
They're all in the closet somewhere. Nice collection to have.

Formula 1 - PS1

I have had this game since around 1998, I go back to it once or twice per year.
It's a good little game and I actually feel it is better than Formula 1 97 (I'm in the minority with this statement).
The disc is all I have left, where the box is I have no idea.
I'm amazed the disc works at all anymore seeing as it's full of scratches.

Formula 1 97 - PS1
I know this game has been getting a lot of praise ever since the beginning,
but I have never really enjoyed it. Out of all my F1 games this one has been collecting the most dust through the decades.

Formula 1 98 - PS1

Much better presentation than '97 and I played this game a lot back in the day. The handling wasn't the best but playing around
with the settings helped things for the better.

Formula One 99 - PS1

Probably my favorite F1 game of all time. Magnificent graphics that holds up well even to this day. Safety car used in-game before Codemasters could say 'mommy' & 'daddy'.
Imola, the old Hockenheim, Luca Badoer, settings galore, nice menus, grid edit, great scenery.
I remember even the instructions manual was top notch and chock full of information.

F1 World Grand Prix - PS1

Really exciting intro only to let me down completely directly afterwards.
I really only remember the terrible and slow menus and the poor gameplay.
I played as Takagi and De la Rosa for the most part.

F1 2000 - PS1

Even though '99 probably is my favorite, this is the F1 game I have spent the most time with. Most likely a couple hundred hours at least (same with F1 Manager 2001).
Music was acceptable and the menus/graphic was ok, but what I love about this game is that you are able to choose Swedish language for
all commentaries in place of the English ones. Instead of Jim Rosenthal introducing the grid you get Eje Elgh (Marcus Ericsson's manager) and instead of some random guy
commenting on the qualifying session you get Björn Andersson (a worthless pundit who forgot his own surname once!).
There is a bug in the game if you choose Swedish and take pole position with any driver at any track, the guy on the team radio will say;
You have taken pole position! That's unfortunate, better luck next time.
:shock:

F1 Championship Season 2000 - PS2

All I remember from this game was that the hands looked really good when driving with the cockpit camera view,
the best I had ever seen up to that point. And I always enjoyed driving as Gaston Mazzacane in this game.

Formula One 2001 / F1 2001 - PS2

Sony & EA Sports both released titles this year and I had a hard time deciding which game I liked more.
I remember I enjoyed driving the Minardi.

Formula One 2002 / F1 2002 - PS2

For the second straight year Sony & EA both put out titles and I can't remember which one I liked best.
A great thing, though, was that Sony included an additional disc containing the entire 2001 season review
with bonus footage from all Grand Prix. A great feature. I still have that disc.

F1 Career Challenge '99-'02 - PS2

I tried a few careers but this game was 'meh'..
I don't remember much.

Formula One 2003 - PS2
EA Sports withdrew and Sony Studio Liverpool got the title to themselves. This was a bad thing, because
I thought the games took a turn for the worse in the coming years starting here in '03.
The only reason I purchased the games was so that I could drive as the Jordan's and Minardi's really.

Formula One 04 - PS2

HWNSNBM of course, but the game was very much the same as '03. Studio Liverpool lacked imagination
and inspiration in my opinion.

Formula One 05 - PS2

One of the most strange, unexplainable and out-of-place intros I have ever seen.
Otherwise nearly identical to 03-04.

Formula One 06 - PS2

Yet another Studio Liverpool release and by this time I was quite fed up with their F1 games.
I purchased it anyway but I don't believe I ever played it. Maybe once or twice. It's buried now somewhere
in a closet.

Formula One Championship Edition - PS3

I couldn't believe my eyes how beautiful this game was and to some extent still is today.
Just look at Monaco! Amazing. How Studio Liverpool went from boring and bland to brilliant in the space of only six
months I'll never know. It is also the only modern F1 game where you can create a female driver, to my knowledge anyway.
It's a real shame this was Liverpool's last effort since they finally came up with a good formula.
I can only dream of the game they would have been able to release next time out with more preparation time and more
experience of the PS3.
You could also drive as Yuji Ide and Scott Speed. :D

The fact that no F1 games was released for the next three years! on any major console was a total farce. Ok the Wii and the PlayStation Portable got F1 2009,
but for 2007 and 2008 nothing was released. :roll:
I wanted to drive the Spyker in the wet at the Nurburgring. I wanted to drive as the new kid on the block Lewis Hamilton.
I wanted to drive as Yamamoto and Wurz. I wanted to drive the Honda 'Earth Car'.

I wanted to drive as Nelson Piquet jr. and Sebastien Bourdais and change their fates.

F1 2010, F1 2011, F1 2012 and F1 2013 by Codemasters are all good, but the developments and improvements are coming too slow.
They should be able to do so much more these days.

To be honest I haven't played '13 enough to give any comments on it, but I have played '10-'12 quite a bit.
Playing '11 as Karthikeyan was the most fun.
-*:-
W12

Post by W12 »

Jocke1 wrote:From Psygnosis' "Formula 1" for PS1 and onwards, I have kept every single F1 game released for the Sony consoles.

Formula 1 - PS1

It's a good little game and I actually feel it is better than Formula 1 97 (I'm in the minority with this statement).

Formula 1 97 - PS1
but I have never really enjoyed it. Out of all my F1 games this one has been collecting the most dust through the decades.

Formula 1 98 - PS1

Much better presentation than '97 and I played this game a lot back in the day. The handling wasn't the best but playing around

Formula One 99 - PS1

Probably my favorite F1 game of all time. Magnificent graphics that holds up well even to this day. Safety car used in-game before Codemasters could say 'mommy' & 'daddy'.
Imola, the old Hockenheim, Luca Badoer, settings galore, nice menus, grid edit, great scenery.
I remember even the instructions manual was top notch and chock full of information.

F1 2000 - PS1

Even though '99 probably is my favorite, this is the F1 game I have spent the most time with. Most likely a couple hundred hours at least (same with F1 Manager 2001).
Music was acceptable and the menus/graphic was ok, but what I love about this game is that you are able to choose Swedish language for
all commentaries in place of the English ones. Instead of Jim Rosenthal introducing the grid you get Eje Elgh (Marcus Ericsson's manager) and instead of some random guy
commenting on the qualifying session you get Björn Andersson (a worthless pundit who forgot his own surname once!).
There is a bug in the game if you choose Swedish and take pole position with any driver at any track, the guy on the team radio will say;

All I remember from this game was that the hands looked really good when driving with the cockpit camera view,
the best I had ever seen up to that point. And I always enjoyed driving as Gaston Mazzacane in this game.

Sony & EA Sports both released titles this year and I had a hard time deciding which game I liked more.

For the second straight year Sony & EA both put out titles and I can't remember which one I liked best.
A great thing, though, was that Sony included an additional disc containing the entire 2001 season review
with bonus footage from all Grand Prix. A great feature. I still have that disc.

I don't remember much.

Formula One 2003 - PS2
EA Sports withdrew and Sony Studio Liverpool got the title to themselves. This was a bad thing, because
I thought the games took a turn for the worse in the coming years starting here in '03.
The only reason I purchased the games was so that I could drive as the Jordan's and Minardi's really.

Formula One 04 - PS2

HWNSNBM of course, but the game was very much the same as '03. Studio Liverpool lacked imagination

Formula One 05 - PS2

One of the most strange, unexplainable and out-of-place intros I have ever seen.

Formula One 06 - PS2

Yet another Studio Liverpool release and by this time I was quite fed up with their F1 games.
I purchased it anyway but I don't believe I ever played it. Maybe once or twice. It's buried now somewhere
in a closet.

I couldn't believe my eyes how beautiful this game was and to some extent still is today.
Just look at Monaco! Amazing. How Studio Liverpool went from boring and bland to brilliant in the space of only six
months I'll never know. It is also the only modern F1 game where you can create a female driver, to my knowledge anyway.
It's a real shame this was Liverpool's last effort since they finally came up with a good formula.
I can only dream of the game they would have been able to release next time out with more preparation time and more
experience of the PS3.

The fact that no F1 games was released for the next three years! on any major console was a total farce. Ok the Wii and the PlayStation Portable got F1 2009,
I wanted to drive the Spyker in the wet at the Nurburgring. I wanted to drive as the new kid on the block Lewis Hamilton.
I wanted to drive as Yamamoto and Wurz. I wanted to drive the Honda 'Earth Car'.

I wanted to drive as Nelson Piquet jr. and Sebastien Bourdais and change their fates.

F1 2010, F1 2011, F1 2012 and F1 2013 by Codemasters are all good, but the developments and improvements are coming too slow.

To be honest I haven't played '13 enough to give any comments on it, but I have played '10-'12 quite a bit.

Let's do the same with my games:

GP4
I had loads of mods, and it was always funny to do a championship season with an indestructible car and wreck everyone :lol:

The first F1 game I ever played.

F1 Challenge 99-02
The graphics are amazing, and the physics were realistic... compared to GP4 :D

I'm doing careers with it, mostly using the 1999 season.

F1 04
HWNSBNM, Minardi, Jordan, Heidfeld winning races... this game has everything!

F1 2010
I never actually ended up playing it because my computer was so slow...

F1 2011
GO NARAIN!!! I've shouted that four times, Karthikeyan always scores points when I do so.

F1 2013
A great game. The graphics are good, and the classic mode is amazing. If only it had some rejects in it...
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Formula One 2001 had some crazy crashes!

(Schumacher slams into Mazzacane, wheels fly everywhere, the cars go flying about 40 feet in the air, flipping wildly)

Murray Walker: (Calmly) "Gaston Mazzacane will need to pit after that collision".
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

W12 wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:From Psygnosis' "Formula 1" for PS1 and onwards, I have kept every single F1 game released for the Sony consoles.

Formula 1 - PS1

Formula 1 97 - PS1

Formula 1 98 - PS1

Formula One 99 - PS1

F1 2000 - PS1

I don't remember much.

Formula One 2003 - PS2

Formula One 04 - PS2

Formula One 05 - PS2

Formula One 06 - PS2

in a closet.

experience of the PS3.

Let's do the same with my games:

GP4
I had loads of mods, and it was always funny to do a championship season with an indestructible car and wreck everyone :lol:

The first F1 game I ever played.

F1 Challenge 99-02
The graphics are amazing, and the physics were realistic... compared to GP4 :D

I'm doing careers with it, mostly using the 1999 season.

F1 04
HWNSBNM, Minardi, Jordan, Heidfeld winning races... this game has everything!

F1 2010
I never actually ended up playing it because my computer was so slow...

F1 2011
GO NARAIN!!! I've shouted that four times, Karthikeyan always scores points when I do so.

F1 2013
A great game. The graphics are good, and the classic mode is amazing. If only it had some rejects in it...

May also do some(apart from the Genesis/Mega Drive Games):
F1 1997
Don't remember anything since i don't play in a while,but was fun.
To be honest,the only PS1 game i ever played.

F1 Career Challenge
Weird things coming on,unexplinable failures and many more things.Though it was fun having an Unbrekeable Car :lol:

Grand Prix Challenge
The best thing ever;great physics,funny gameplay and amazing graphics.Shame you can't play a career :cry:
Plus you play as Alex Yoong :P

F1 2003
Very dissapointing,the game was weird,the car flyied everywhere and was way too hard.Plus the graphics are lame(in drivers).

F1 2005
Never played F1 2004 :( .But anyway,is a HUGE improvement to F1 2003,but lacks difficulty.The best thing is the Eyetoy Cameo.

F1 2006
The worst thing is that the game has so many errors that i can't remember,however,it was the first 3D F1 Game that i ever played,and just because of that,i won't sent you to the toilet or to clean my back.

F1 2009
The first PSP game i ever played,it was fun,but way too ugly and short (had 3 seasons in career).

F1 2010
First PS3 game i ever played,the game was excellent because of the career options.However you are strict to a 25% race,instead of MY traditional 3 laps race.(I want spare time)

F1 2011
A bit better,but largely the same,with Karthikeyan,but the Paddock is missing,as well as many career options.But perhaps the option to play 3 laps race

F1 2012
Worst that anything,it was fairly boring with the YDT,and comes back with the 25% rule,but you have Karthikeyan and champions mode.The penalty mode is god awful.

F1 2013
The same thing that F1 2012,but instead of champions mode you have Scenario,much better,and the Classics mode,which i didn't liked because you need more money to have all cars.

Overall the new games struggle to find new features;they have around 3 or 4 new options since 2010.Too bad i never played F1CE or F104 :cry: :(
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:Formula One Championship Edition - PS3
experience of the PS3.

F1CE is a great game. The F1TV mode, where you can choose any grid you like e.g. Ide on pole :lol: , is endless fun, if only Codemasters developed their own version! It is hilarious when a driver crashes on that particular game, for James Allen shouts the driver's name every time there's a crash, for example - "We've just received reports of an incident at turn 4. It's Trulli! That's the end of his race today and he will be, devastated."
Last edited by good_Ralf on 22 Jun 2014, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

I think a review of F1 97 and 98 will be on the cards. Those games are... interesting choices. I'll have to pick them up again though - I sold both a while back.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ah yes, Formula 1 '99. Only the second ever (and most recent!) F1 game I purchased on the PlayStation (cost about 169 Finnish marks IIRC), and what fun it turned out to be. Even long before I started to read F1 Rejects I always used the grid editor to put people like Badoer, Gene, Takagi and de la Rosa in the top spots. After myself, of course. :P
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Currently putting together a video with all known prototype footage of F1 97 ;) And I also acquired a PS1 magazine from back then which had a preview with some differences...

(Villeneuve, wet weather in arcade mode, damage in arcade mode, more destructable cars etc)
Julien

Post by Julien »

This is fun :)

Grand Prix Unlimited
Made by Accolade, this was the very first game I played with. It was incredibly difficult, the moment you touched something your car was bursting in flames and your race was over. Speed feeling was crazy, the race was always like running in a psychedelic tunnel. But man it was satisfying to win the race :)
It had some hilarious race results (Senna always being awfully slow), and Tyrrell was the best car with incredible grip.
Did I mention that the game came with a track editor and 4(!!!) championships to play through? Awesome game :)

F1GP
I barely played with this one because I couldn't run it for some reason. But when I rediscovered it a few years ago I instantly recognized it! That intro is just unforgettable, especially if you know how similar the music is to BBC's former Forumla 1 intro :)
I'm still shocked how detailed, realistic and simulator-like this game was. I mean, it had detailed car setups, technical failures, smooth control, cars were moving in 3D (yaw and pitch on braking/acceleration!!!), full 3D graphics... All back when other racing games were built up from pixel images...

Grand Prix 2
This game needs no introduction. I played several hundreds of hours with this one, modded it continuously. My love with Pacific dates back to this time as well :) Interestingly, this was the only game where I played long enough to win the championship. I always played a "career" starting with a bad car, climbing up to the top, but I finished it only with GP2. I still play this game time to time.

F1 2000
It was EA's first try with Formula 1 and it was awful. The menus were nice, but the game itself was ugly. Even GP2 looked better than this game! And it couldn't be controlled with keyboard, I needed a joystick, which was bizarre. At least the damage models were nice. Anyway, I switched to GP3 after a few hours.

Grand Prix 3
I didn't play as much with this as with its predecessor. Weather changes were fun but I can't remember playing with it for a whole season. I was too busy with modding it :)

Grand Prix 4
I waited this game as the Messiah. Weather changes, different car shapes for every car... I felt like being in heaven!Unfortunately my PC wasn't strong enough for it so I barely played it. And my GP3 setups didn't work so well either.

F2 Challenge 99-02
For me, this is still THE Formula One game. countless hours of modding and fun, and it had run smooth while my GP4 didn't. This was the game which made me to buy my first steering wheel.

rFactor
Technically not an F1 game, but I still played a few F1 mods. It felt weird and I missed technical failures and weather changes. Plus the AI cars were like concrete blocks on the track.

F1 2010
God, this game was awful :) Weird controls, no grip, no feeling of speed whatsoever, sepia effect on everything, lens flares and glows even on the track's surface, stupid AI, ridiculous penalty system. Did I mention that car setup is an utter bull.....? You can go faster on the Hungaroring with minimal wing setup than with high grip... This game was just bad.

F1 2012
I didn't play F1 2011 because I read it was just as "good" as F1 2010 was. A small taste of it convinced me to go back to F1C.

F1 2013
I was awaiting to try out some historic cars. But the game still didn't feel right. Ok, it's fun driving the FW14B because you literally can't fall off the track, but it's still not enough to sell an F1 game for me, when I can drive all the cars I want with some good mods. And you still can't feel the speed and still don't have any grip in the corners.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Inspired by the review and the comments posted on here I drunkenly gave both the original and the 1997 version a blast late last night (drunken F1 driving should be sport in itself, someone get me the FIA on the phone). I won't bore you all with my escapades (although Taki Inoue winning at Interlagos was a highlight) but it was truly a joy to race against all those guys no longer in the sport. I raised my glass to many a reject in the wee hours :D

(I should point out that after my F1 career I took to racing around Vice City until the missus came down and told me to turn it down or off as Roxy Music had woken her up :oops: )
Just For One Day...
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

CoopsII wrote:(I should point out that after my F1 career I took to racing around Vice City until the missus came down and told me to turn it down or off as Roxy Music had woken her up :oops: )

Schoolboy error!
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

CoopsII wrote:(drunken F1 driving should be sport in itself, someone get me the FIA on the phone)

That might be just what it takes to get Kimi's form back
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:
CoopsII wrote:(drunken F1 driving should be sport in itself, someone get me the FIA on the phone)

That might be just what it takes to get Kimi's form back

:lol:
Just For One Day...
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

So, who wants some Formula One 97 prototype footage? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjlWl4GhR5I

Featuring Lola Ford and Mansell's favourite ever F1 car: The MP410!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

MadGaz85 wrote:So, who wants some Formula One 97 prototype footage? :)

And even in early 1997, Trulli trains were already a known occurence. :lol: Seem that a lot was dropped from the final product, not just the Lola team but weather and pitstops in the arcade mode and a "TV cam" view as well.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Nuppiz wrote:

And even in early 1997, Trulli trains were already a known occurence. :lol: Seem that a lot was dropped from the final product, not just the Lola team but weather and pitstops in the arcade mode and a "TV cam" view as well.

The TV cam view is still there :) You have to press select on a second controller to access it.

I have a magazine sitting here which also shows the cars were more destructable with more sensitive damage at one point, and there was also damage in Arcade Mode. :)

Going through the commentary files on the disc, Stop/Go Penalties, Jump Starts and exceeding the pitlane speed limit were also going to be in at one point, but got dropped.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I like how they actually show a 1996 season in several clips in the press kit footage.

MrMG

Post by MrMG »

I assumed they were just placeholders from the original F1, but the Ligier has the 1996 livery :)

I just realised something, the driver seen in the background of the loading screen of the original Formula 1 is Brundle, but the pic was also used in F1 on the Megadrive, he's in his Benetton gear!

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

MadGaz85 wrote:Currently putting together a video with all known prototype footage of F1 97 ;) And I also acquired a PS1 magazine from back then which had a preview with some differences...

(Villeneuve, wet weather in arcade mode, damage in arcade mode, more destructable cars etc)

I never had F1 97, what was Villeneuve known as on that then?

I know it was John Newhouse on GPM2 for some reason.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

"Driverone Williams".

Murray would refer to him as "Williams Number 1" and "The Canadian".
W12

Post by W12 »

MadGaz85 wrote:"Driverone Williams".

Murray would refer to him as "Williams Number 1" and "The Canadian".
Actually, it was "Williams Numberone".
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Yeah that's what Murray called him. But in the menu it was definitely "Driverone Williams".
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

MadGaz85 wrote:I assumed they were just placeholders from the original F1, but the Ligier has the 1996 livery :)]

And the team name as well.

MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Also called Ligier in the menu, plus Tyrrell is misspelled :) Actually...one of the clips (Using the TV Graphics from the original game) says Prost. Hmmm.....

Boullion's name is in one of the graphics, guess they were gonna replace Villeneuve with him at one point!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CoopsII wrote:(I should point out that after my F1 career I took to racing around Vice City until the missus came down and told me to turn it down or off as Roxy Music had woken her up :oops: )

:D
-*:-
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

MadGaz85 wrote:There were cheats in the original F1, off the top of my head:

Bonus Track unlocked
Track replaced by lava
Bike mode (Cars replaced by 2 wheels and a bit of suspension)
Big Wheel mode
Gibberish mode (My personal favourite: Murray's commentary became completely random. Loved hitting random cars to hear him announce: "Welcome to Monte Carlo" and "It's a win for Giovanni Lavaggi!" etc)

There was also "cheats" to switch the commentary language without restarting the game.

I have this game and I like play it, but I never get these cheats works. I unlock the bonus track winning the Championship. Anyone can recover this cheats? I want to try it! :D

I used to play a lot also with F1 98, my first game of playstation. I love the Colosseum circuit with 99 laps to do, after a few laps you go crazy because the laptime is around 22 seconds and you continue to overtake machine without understand your position :D Best results if you pass the first 8-10 laps of the race going wrongway and then trying to recover from last to first. Epic. :lol:
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

You had to input the codes on the screen where you choose to Practice, Qualify or Race (Basically the final menu screen before you go to track), I can't remember them off the top of my head though.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I've played '97 so much since it came out, brilliant game and it's still so much fun to play today.

I remember playing '98 and holy shite was it rubbish. The AI cars didn't take damage, failures never worked, the handling was ungodly (If I have to set my downforce to near max and slow the car down to a crawl just to turn a bloody corner, there's something wrong). On the other hand the commentary was pretty good and JUST LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC. I'd really like to see a review of '98 because I've never heard anyone talk about it in detail.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Mexicola wrote:I've played '97 so much since it came out, brilliant game and it's still so much fun to play today.

I remember playing '98 and holy shite was it rubbish. The AI cars didn't take damage, failures never worked, the handling was ungodly (If I have to set my downforce to near max and slow the car down to a crawl just to turn a bloody corner, there's something wrong). On the other hand the commentary was pretty good and JUST LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC. I'd really like to see a review of '98 because I've never heard anyone talk about it in detail.

F1 '98 was the complete opposite of the original F1. You barely had to brake in F1 but any track other than Monza was pretty difficult in F1 '98.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

I played the hell out of '98 and hated it! A review would be a pleasure to write - in fact I did back in 2001 (I was very only 10...)
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Ugh F1 98! An awful awful game.

Some of the bad points have already been mentioned but there's so much more crap in there. Remember how the cars lost all their textures (apart from yours) when there were too many on screen? Infact the graphics were pretty awful full stop!

It boasted a "realistic, motion captured pit-crew", when in actuality all they did was put their hands on the wheels, then the guy on the jack would slide off as if he was on a pulley! You'd have think they'd have borrowed Studio 33's animations from Newman-Haas Racing - They weren't great but they got the job done.

The pitlane also had a game-breaking bug if you switched flags on. The AI would take control of your car and would actually break the pitlane speed limit. You would receive a stop/go penalty, then would immediately be disqualified after leaving the pitlane for not serving it!

There was also a bug where Murray and Martin would turn into the Daleks if you changed the volume level!

And of course, the handling in GP mode was rubbish! I always thought the developers had spent more time concentrating on Arcade Mode (Better but unrealistic handling, proper collisions etc) than the one most people would be playing! When the Arcade Mode is better than GP Mode, you know you've done something wrong!

Best bits about the game were the Intro and the Soundtrack!

The developers of F1 98 later developed the EA F1 Series on consoles, they were a big improvement (Although Career Challenge, like 98, was rushed terribly)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Im off out tonight for a few beers with the lads but when I get home later and the family are all away tucked up in bed I think I'll try to answer the age-old question "Could Domenico Schiaterella ever win at Estoril in the Simtek Ford?"

Wish us luck.......
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:Im off out tonight for a few beers with the lads but when I get home later and the family are all away tucked up in bed I think I'll try to answer the age-old question "Could Domenico Schiaterella ever win at Estoril in the Simtek Ford?"

Wish us luck.......

Better yet since you're out for a few beers

Could a drunken Domenico Schiattarella ever win at Estoril in the Simtek Ford?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

FullMetalJack wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Im off out tonight for a few beers with the lads but when I get home later and the family are all away tucked up in bed I think I'll try to answer the age-old question "Could Domenico Schiaterella ever win at Estoril in the Simtek Ford?"

Wish us luck.......

Brilliant. This is the sort of incisive analysis that keeps me coming back to the forum.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Wish us luck.......

The answer to the first question is "Yes, after over-taking Hill on the last lap" and for the second Id postulate Schiaterella was often drunk behind the wheel based on his performances in '95 :lol:
Just For One Day...