Reject Trophies

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Reject Trophies

Post by Alextrax52 »

The Austria trophies inspired this one. Who remembers the Bahrain trophy in 2004?

Or the Italy 2004 Trophy as well?

Anymore Reject Trophies?
James1978

Re: Reject Trophies

Post by James1978 »

I think the Monaco ones where the trophy is the shape of the circuit is pretty terrible. (Sorry don't have a pic but the thought went through my mind at this year's podium ceremony - once I could concentrate on something else apart from the tension between Rosberg and Hamilton) :)

Still not as bad as Bahrain 2004 which looks like a waste paper basket though. :lol:
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

James1978 wrote:I think the Monaco ones where the trophy is the shape of the circuit is pretty terrible.

Especially when you compare it to older models

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Surely the most diabolical ones have to be the numerous Santander logo ones that plagued some races for a few years (Germany, Italy, Spain and Britain I think), and also the Agip/Eni ones that have popped up in Hungary a few times.

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I despised the Santander trophies when they kept being used in European races. Their existence was simply disgraceful.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm surprised UBS haven't elbowed their way in with a giant key-shaped trophy. UBS and Santander are about the only sponsors we ever see at F1 races these days, whether we're in Brazil, Abu Dhabi, China, Italy, Australia, Canada, Russia... at least I'm assuming they'll be on show in Russia rather than being blanked out by Gazprom logos and other Russian conglomerates who never paid a single kopek for their appearance.

All I'll say for the Santander trophies is, for a while, they painted them in the colours of the national flag of the race in question.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

For a while now I've been quietly observing the growing exposure of Rolex, seems there is at least two to four Rolex corners these days at just about every single Grand Prix with 249 billboards per square metre,
relentlessly hammering the message home, and the f1.com website is well littered with Rolex ads.

Yes, they boast being the Official Timepiece of Formula 1, but sometimes less is more.
It's crazy and it is all a bit 'over-the-top', so I think it's just a matter of time :? before the trophies become big Rolexes as well;

-*:-
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
James1978 wrote:I think the Monaco ones where the trophy is the shape of the circuit is pretty terrible.

I actually like those Trophies. Truly represent the 1-2-3 in my book
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Brazilian GP trophy made from recycled plastic:

I remember from the season reviews that Mansell once cut his hands on a trophy's sharp handles (Brazil 1989?) and Prost once received a trophy that came apart in his hands.

But of course, nothing can beat this:

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

midgrid wrote:I remember from the season reviews that Mansell once cut his hands on a trophy's sharp handles (Brazil 1989?) and Prost once received a trophy that came apart in his hands.

Not F1 but last year in IndyCar Bourdais' trophy fell off the support in one race.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
midgrid wrote:I remember from the season reviews that Mansell once cut his hands on a trophy's sharp handles (Brazil 1989?) and Prost once received a trophy that came apart in his hands.

Not F1 but last year in IndyCar Bourdais' trophy fell off the support in one race.

Away from Motorsport I remember the top of the FA Cup falling off when Arsenal received it after the win over Hull last month
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Surely the most diabolical ones have to be the numerous Santander logo ones that plagued some races for a few years (Germany, Italy, Spain and Britain I think), and also the Agip/Eni ones that have popped up in Hungary a few times.

Even if it is a sponsor trophy, at least the Agip one looks the part.

The Santander ones are beyond excusing though. They look utterly utterly corporate, without any attempt to look like something that's actually worth winning. Imagine how disappointed a driver who only wins once in his career would be if that thing was the trophy!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Biscione wrote:The Santander ones are beyond excusing though. They look utterly utterly corporate, without any attempt to look like something that's actually worth winning. Imagine how disappointed a driver who only wins once in his career would be if that thing was the trophy!

Seconded. I think what you're saying at the end will be the case for Maldonado! :?

OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

That Italy 2004 trophy, oh dear
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Reminds me of this:
(Just for good measure good ralf)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Santander made another bid in this contest yesterday...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Nuppiz wrote:Santander made another bid in this contest yesterday...

Makes me wish they still used the original gold vase/cup thingy from up to and including last year.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

good_Ralf wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Santander made another bid in this contest yesterday...

Makes me wish they still used the original gold vase/cup thingy from up to and including last year.

Hilariously (or depressingly, depending on how you see it) they DO still have the traditional gold cup, because Hamilton came back out onto the podium after the ceremony and the cameras had gone away, stood on the top step and raised it aloft to the cheer of all of us on the pit straight!

So it seems that Santander pay for the privilege of consigning a beautiful historic trophy to be awarded to the driver in a dingy back room after the main ceremony where their logo-influenced pieces of crap are brandished about instead. Hamilton's comment about them to DC during the interview said it all!

This, the series of new rules recently, crap slogans like "F1 - The Fastest Brand in the World", and a load of other things I noticed over the British GP weekend just make the entire sport a cringeworthy marketing nightmare.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

AndreaModa wrote:This, the series of new rules recently, crap slogans like "F1 - The Fastest Brand in the World", and a load of other things I noticed over the British GP weekend just make the entire sport a cringeworthy marketing nightmare.

'Bernie says: Think Before You Drive'

Nobody cares what you say Bernie you absolute megolomaniacal weirdo.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

shinji wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:This, the series of new rules recently, crap slogans like "F1 - The Fastest Brand in the World", and a load of other things I noticed over the British GP weekend just make the entire sport a cringeworthy marketing nightmare.

'Bernie says: Think Before You Drive'

Nobody cares what you say Bernie you absolute megolomaniacal weirdo.

Most of you are probably too young to remember it, but there used to be an infomercial with the slogan "Think before you drink before you drive", that's what it reminded me of:

And here it is in all it's 1981 glory : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4cbloNjD4
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

No, no - this is the new 'Frankie Says' type craze. Just think of the merchandise!

Bernie Says : Think Before You Drive!
Bernie Says : Thanks, Herr Mateschitz!
Bernie Says : Double Points All Round!!!
Bernie Says : Standing Start = Safe!
Bernie Says : You're all my bitches!

And so on...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Q: (Mike Doodson - GPweek) Lewis, you’re obviously very happy with the gold trophy [present on the platform]- but you seem to have been a bit unhappy with the sponsor’s trophy. Did I hear you say it fell to bits on the podium? And how did you come to get this one between the podium and here?

LH: Well, yeah! This one’s a lot nicer. I mean, growing up watching Formula One, you see trophies like this. Real trophies, y’know? And the trophies that we have nowadays, whilst it’s a real privilege being on top of the podium, my one fell to pieces! The bottom fell off the one we just had. It’s plastic, it must cost ten pounds! It’s so bad. I might just get the plaque, which is probably the most expensive part of the trophy I think. Back in the day they really, really made the trophies. And this is the special thing about being on the podium and winning. These trophies mean - for me, I don’t know how it is for the other drivers - but this is what we have to show for our lifetime achievements. I hope we can get some better ones moving forwards.
-*:-