2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by CoopsII »

giraurd wrote:The core problem is that FIA just doesn't have a clue as to why the ratings are dwindling....thus these great ideas.

I think they probably do understand where the problems are but they're currently happy to trade off a drop in viewers for the extra money they're currently seeing generated.
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Nuppiz wrote:Another brainfart launched by the rulemakers in the name of "improving the show". Sadly, the time when sporting values were more important than appealing to casual fans is long gone.

Is the FIA stupid? Because NASCAR tried doing this and the ratings for NASCAR took a sharp nosedive!!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FIA. Stop. Please. It's become completely nonsensical that the way they try and appeal to casuals is through stupid little things like sparks. If you have to dress up a huge sport with minor changes then you're doing it wrong. You don't heal an amputated leg with a plaster and a dab of Savlon, do you?

Cost-saving is the primary issue. Cut unnecessary things, don't ADD them. The governing body has been living in its own little bubble for a while now, and it's time somebody with a little common sense burst it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Well, someone is trying to force pile-ups in the race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Sky have been discussing this at length during the FP3 coverage, and it turns out it was the team owners that came up with this idea. Needless to say, nobody on Sky agrees with this idea either.

Dear HWNSNBM, is there anyone in this sport who actually have a clue as to what they're doing?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

giraurd wrote:The core problem is that FIA just doesn't have a clue as to why the ratings are dwindling....thus these great ideas.

I saw a Tweet yesterday from one of the F1 journos about how they had 6 of the team bosses in the press conference and not a single one knew anything about marketing, social media or brand management, and that the future of F1 was in their hands.

We have a multi-million pound global sport being run by a bunch of out-of-date, out-of-touch old boys who haven't a clue. Wait a second...

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

AndreaModa wrote:

I saw a Tweet yesterday from one of the F1 journos about how they had 6 of the team bosses in the press conference and not a single one knew anything about marketing, social media or brand management, and that the future of F1 was in their hands.

We have a multi-million pound global sport being run by a bunch of out-of-date, out-of-touch old boys who haven't a clue. Wait a second...

Image[/quote

Those guys at FIFA know waaaay to well how to run a sport. It's like the Mafia up in there. Plus their marketing (bar that ridiculous £19m film starring Tim Roth and Gerald Depardieu) is pretty good.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Eifelland wrote:Those guys at FIFA know waaaay to well how to run a sport. It's like the Mafia up in there. Plus their marketing (bar that ridiculous £19m film starring Tim Roth and Gerald Depardieu) is pretty good.

I know nothing about football (other than it's 22 guys kicking a ball around!) but Qatar. That is all.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Miguel98 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114529

So, basically: when the safety car period ends, they will all stop on the grid and take a restart like it was the start of the race. :? I don't like this at all. Leave it how it is.

Peter Windsor suggested double file restarts in this months F1 Racing
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The worry I have with grid restarts is a Lap 1 crash results in a grid start, which could lead to another "Lap 1" crash, and so on, until there's barely anyone left.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

mrfakeboullier wrote:

So, basically: when the safety car period ends, they will all stop on the grid and take a restart like it was the start of the race. :? I don't like this at all. Leave it how it is.

A indycar-like double file rolling start could be a nice best of both worlds approach imo.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DonTirri wrote:
mrfakeboullier wrote:

A indycar-like double file rolling start could be a nice best of both worlds approach imo.

>Double file rolling restart
>Single-seater racing cars

I would find a standing restart preferable to a double file rolling restart. That is how bad an idea that is. Especially with drivers who have literally zero experience doing a double file rolling restart.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Double-file rolling restarts would at least give us all a lot of rejectful incidents to talk about after the races :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
girry

Post by girry »

Salamander wrote:>Double file rolling restart

I would find a standing restart preferable to a double file rolling restart. That is how bad an idea that is. Especially with drivers who have literally zero experience doing a double file rolling restart.

Well...remember that even Indycar - in all its incompetence, on the abysmal tracks they race on - did manage to pull off their double file rolling starts pretty nicely. With their single seater racing cars. At least after a year of practise and the Barnhart-Barfield swap.
when you're dead people start listening
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

giraurd wrote:
Salamander wrote:>Double file rolling restart

Well...remember that even Indycar - in all its incompetence, on the abysmal tracks they race on - did manage to pull off their double file rolling starts pretty nicely. With their single seater racing cars. At least after a year of practise and the Barnhart-Barfield swap.

It only took them a full season and then some to make it work, and even today the restart regulations in IndyCar sorely need clarification (St. Pete anyone?). By the way, what's the story behind that Webber .gif at Le Mans?
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rocks with Salt wrote:It only took them a full season and then some to make it work, and even today the restart regulations in IndyCar sorely need clarification (St. Pete anyone?). By the way, what's the story behind that Webber .gif at Le Mans?

His car had a puncture, and so the stop where Webber was supposed to take over driving duties was moved forward 3 laps, meaning Webber had to rush to get ready to get into the car.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

And there was I thinking that the point of a safety car was to allow the marshals to carry out work in greater safety and to minimise the risk to other drivers as well. Any excitement that came from a safety car restart was, to a certain extent, a side effect of being able to continue the race with the least disruption - as others have pointed out, forcing drivers to do standing starts will probably increase the risk of further accidents (consider how many first lap accidents we see).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Button, Rosberg and Hamilton aren't too happy with standing restarts.

Apparently, the drivers weren't consulted when this idea came about. Why is this sport run by absolute idiots? :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I agree with the majority of the sentiments here about the proposal for standing restarts after SC periods. Yet another gimmick, which adds a moment of drama but feels artificial. It adds another level of danger (which seems contrary to all the moves in the name of safety) and runs the risk of driving up costs due to extra repair bills.

Even the recent suggestion by Luca di Montezemolo of having a round-table discussion about the direction of F1, including companies like Google and Apple, miss the point. Casual viewers will come and go - that's why they are "casual" viewers. Duh.

The real issue is that increasingly there is dwindling passion for cars and motorsport as cars become mainstream and not just an exotic fad that kids of a previous generation would dream about. If F1 wants to increase its fanbase - which is difficult enough in this media-saturated world with a million attractions competing for one's attention - the key is to create long-lasting passion, not momentary excitement. They may or may not succeed, which is OK. I for one am OK if motorsport is left as a niche sport which has remained loyal to its core, and isn't a global phenomenon which has sold its soul in pursuit of $$$ (doubtless Bernie will disagree).

But, at the end of the day, if you are going to try to create passion, you need to tap into people's dreams, and communicate a human storyline and drama which is real and not concocted. One big element that plays into a human storyline and drama is the "fair go" and underdog factor where Davids can slay Goliaths occasionally. That's where real cost cutting and levelling the playing field comes into it.

For all of football's problems (e.g. FIFA's autocracy, corruption, match-fixing, overpaid players, simulation, Luis Suarez (!!!)), just look at the World Cup and the enduring passion for it (notwithstanding the protests in Brazil which also need to be heard). 11 players a side, a rectangular field, a ball, two nets. Rules that have barely changed over the years, no gimmicks needed. There's a storyline behind every team, every match, and teams like Costa Rica can top their group. You don't need 20 goals a game, you'll occasionally have the drab 0-0, but the few moments of real inspiration are enough. Just like you don't need 40 DRS-assisted passes or 60 pit stops, you can afford the odd processional race, but one or two enduring inspirational moments will do.

Obviously football is a much simpler endeavour than motorsport - I accept that - but passion and human storyline is IMHO what's needed, not more gimmicks.
dr-baker

Re: Forum's 3rd Birthday

Post by dr-baker »

That's almost a whole article/opinion piece there, Enoch! But there certainly is a problem with the rules being so restrictive if it is a factor in pushing the leading designer, Adrian Newey, away from the sport, not just viewers.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

eytl wrote:I for one am OK if motorsport is left as a niche sport which has remained loyal to its core, and isn't a global phenomenon which has sold its soul in pursuit of $$$ (doubtless Bernie will disagree).

Unfortunately, that is an ... idealistic view, to put it nicely. Any major racing series on this planet requires at least a seven-, if not eight-digit, budget. Niche sports don't work on these budgets. Henceforth, the pursuit of the almighty dollar is inevitable. While I agree that the rule is silly, mostly because it doesn't address why casual viewers do not follow the sport (if they don't), I am afraid that The Show™ is crucial.

Which is why I can see Formula E becoming really big. It is perfect for attracting casual viewers in providing exotic locations and "green" cars, not to mention many names and interesting stories behind them.

Rules that have barely changed over the years, no gimmicks needed.

*cough*Back-pass rule*cough*Three points for a win*cough* :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:That's almost a whole article/opinion piece there, Enoch! But there certainly is a problem with the rules being so restrictive if it is a factor in pushing the leading designer, Adrian Newey, away from the sport, not just viewers.

Mind you, to a certain extent Newey's complaints about tightening regulations are somewhat self serving - he has been critical of the fact that the rules place a greater emphasis on engine development and a reduced emphasis on aerodynamic developments, whereas he has always placed aerodynamic developments far ahead of mechanical development. On the other hand, if you are a manufacturer like Honda or Mercedes, you would probably be very pleased that the new regulations give a higher role to engine developments and mechanical performance over aerodynamics.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Talking of silly, perhaps having this thread still going aint the most sensible now we have the new one?
Just For One Day...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:That's almost a whole article/opinion piece there, Enoch! But there certainly is a problem with the rules being so restrictive if it is a factor in pushing the leading designer, Adrian Newey, away from the sport, not just viewers.

Mind you, to a certain extent Newey's complaints about tightening regulations are somewhat self serving - he has been critical of the fact that the rules place a greater emphasis on engine development and a reduced emphasis on aerodynamic developments, whereas he has always placed aerodynamic developments far ahead of mechanical development. On the other hand, if you are a manufacturer like Honda or Mercedes, you would probably be very pleased that the new regulations give a higher role to engine developments and mechanical performance over aerodynamics.

Remember, Enzo said, "aerodynamics are for those who can't build engines". ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
mario

Post by mario »

FMecha wrote:
mario wrote:

Remember, Enzo said, "aerodynamics are for those who can't build engines". ;)

Mind you, to a certain extent I wonder whether that was also in part because of the difficulties for Ferrari to carry out wind tunnel testing - Forghieri claims in his memoirs that, when Ferrari wanted to test one of their sports cars in a wind tunnel in 1962 (the 166P), the test had to be carried out at the University of Stuttgart because of a lack of suitable facilities in Italy.