2014 Austrian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

What a guy! Marcus Ericsson.

He sets a time good enough for 22nd on the grid for tomorrow, really good job for a rookie.
And he was only 0.898 seconds off 21st place. He's going places this kid.

Head-to-Head in Qualifying;

Hamilton 4 - 4 Rosberg
Ricciardo 6 - 2 Vettel
Button 4 - 4 Magnussen
Alonso 6 - 2 Raikkonen
Hulkenberg 6 - 2 Perez
Massa 4 - 4 Bottas
Vergne 5 - 3 Kvyat
Sutil 4 - 4 Gutierrez
Grosjean 7 - 1 Maldonado
Kobayashi 7 - 1 Ericsson
Bianchi 5 - 3 Chilton
-*:-
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Now watch as they proceed to do a carbon-copy of Toyota at Bahrain 2009...

I was thinking McLaren at Austria 1999 might be more likely :P
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ed24 wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Now watch as they proceed to do a carbon-copy of Toyota at Bahrain 2009...

Williams in Canada 2003 is another possibility.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Go Team Willy!! :mrgreen:

Now watch as they proceed to do a carbon-copy of Toyota at Bahrain 2009...

good_Ralf wrote:Beautiful result. Either Williams are going to win in style or make a massive fail of the race, worse than even their Canada performance.

The worst part is that deep down, I think you are both right...
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Maybe Mercedes at Canada 2014....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Red Bull/Vettel will have to do something solid tomorrow to avoid RotR - failing at your own namesake track must surely shoot them high up the list of contenders!
-Abraham Lincoln
mario

Post by mario »

Ed24 wrote:Red Bull/Vettel will have to do something solid tomorrow to avoid RotR - failing at your own namesake track must surely shoot them high up the list of contenders!

It's going to be especially painful given that Ricciardo is starting in 5th place whilst Vettel is all the way down in 12th (once Perez's penalty kicks in) - I expect that Ricciardo might find it a little difficult to maintain that position though.

Speaking of team mates struggling, what happened to Kimi in the final part of qualifying? He set his slowest lap time of the session, more than a second slower than Q2 and 1.5s behind Alonso. Did he make a mistake or encounter mechanical issues? That is a lot of lap time to suddenly start losing very quickly.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Ed24 wrote:Red Bull/Vettel will have to do something solid tomorrow to avoid RotR - failing at your own namesake track must surely shoot them high up the list of contenders!

Hamilton is trying hard to take the ROTR from Red Bull. Also, I have a feeling that Williams will do a bad strategy for the race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Massa on pole???? I can't even....
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think it will be Hamilton from Red Bull tomorrow as far as ROTR goes!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Ed24 wrote:

Looking at Bottas face after qualify, he was truly disappointed. I think he will attack Massa for sure.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:

It's going to be especially painful given that Ricciardo is starting in 5th place whilst Vettel is all the way down in 12th (once Perez's penalty kicks in) - I expect that Ricciardo might find it a little difficult to maintain that position though.

Speaking of team mates struggling, what happened to Kimi in the final part of qualifying? He set his slowest lap time of the session, more than a second slower than Q2 and 1.5s behind Alonso. Did he make a mistake or encounter mechanical issues? That is a lot of lap time to suddenly start losing very quickly.

Apparently, Kimi locked a brake at turn 1 on his hot lap and abandoned the exercise from there
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Ed24 wrote:

Looking at Bottas face after qualify, he was truly disappointed. I think he will attack Massa for sure.

Waheyyyy! Surprise teammate attacks everywhere! :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Don't forget Maldonado is in the middle of the pack starting 13th.
Mayhem at turn 2!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Dj_bereta wrote:Looking at Bottas face after qualify, he was truly disappointed. I think he will attack Massa for sure.

At least he becomes the 148th different driver in F1 history to start on the front row! ;) Thinking about it Montoya's first front row start also was at the RB Ring in 2001, when it was then known as A1-Ring.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

Jocke1 wrote:Don't forget Maldonado is in the middle of the pack starting 13th.
Mayhem at turn 2!

You don't get any Oracle points for calling that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Jocke1 wrote:Don't forget Maldonado is in the middle of the pack starting 13th.
Mayhem at turn 2!

Turn 1....
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
mario wrote:

Apparently, Kimi locked a brake at turn 1 on his hot lap and abandoned the exercise from there

I see - I hadn't seen him lock up, but that would explain his relatively poor lap time.

Dj_bereta wrote:Looking at Bottas face after qualify, he was truly disappointed. I think he will attack Massa for sure.

I can kind of see why Bottas would be disappointed though.

If you watch the replay of Massa's lap, it's actually not a particularly clean lap - Massa locked up into Turn 1 and Turn 3, with the second lock up causing Massa to run a little wide on the corner exit, whilst he also ran slightly wide on the exits of Turn 6 and Turn 9 as well. Bottas was fractionally quicker in the first and last sectors than Massa, but was giving away a couple of tenths in the middle sector - I think that he feels he could have have been on pole instead of Massa, because Massa's lap definitely could and should have been better.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Managed to catch the dying seconds of Q3 listening to Radio 5 at work. Cannot believe I missed a Massa pole and Williams front row! Hopefully some torrents have been uploaded somewhere already.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I predict the forthcoming cyclonic battle of wills soon to be known as Massa V Bottas will make Hamilton V Rosberg look like Moreno V Diniz :D
Just For One Day...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

mario wrote:If you watch the replay of Massa's lap, it's actually not a particularly clean lap - Massa locked up into Turn 1 and Turn 3, with the second lock up causing Massa to run a little wide on the corner exit, whilst he also ran slightly wide on the exits of Turn 6 and Turn 9 as well. Bottas was fractionally quicker in the first and last sectors than Massa, but was giving away a couple of tenths in the middle sector - I think that he feels he could have have been on pole instead of Massa, because Massa's lap definitely could and should have been better.

It reminds me of Damon Hill's 2008 quote about Massa;

"What I don't quite understand is how Massa gets the lap times he does, when he so often misses the apexes of the corners"

But in general, to lose your first pole by such a small margin, especially to a team-mate, I think it's pretty natural to be disappointed.
-Abraham Lincoln
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII wrote:I predict the forthcoming cyclonic battle of wills soon to be known as Massa V Bottas will make Hamilton V Rosberg look like Moreno V Diniz :D

If Williams have a good race and are fighting for the win, I can definitely see the two clashing. There was a bit of friction earlier in the season when Massa refused to let Bottas past at Malaysia. They are both drivers who are quick to criticise others and both are willing to take risks and make big lunges. It could end in tears.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

watka wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I predict the forthcoming cyclonic battle of wills soon to be known as Massa V Bottas will make Hamilton V Rosberg look like Moreno V Diniz :D

If Williams have a good race and are fighting for the win, I can definitely see the two clashing. There was a bit of friction earlier in the season when Massa refused to let Bottas past at Malaysia. They are both drivers who are quick to criticise others and both are willing to take risks and make big lunges. It could end in tears.

Coming into turn 3 now, and that's a late move by Massa! They touch! Bottas spins into the gravel, Massa is still going but there's no way he can complete the race with that suspension. And Bottas, can he get going again? It looks like he's beached, he'll be out as well!
Mercedes wrote:lol
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

What's Vettel doing?!? He was a lap down and forced Ricciardo to go wide and lose a place to Kvyat.
Couldn't he have planned that a bit better?
Or did he wait for that very chance/opportunity?

went

Post by went »

The curse of Webber's car strikes again.
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

I'm sorry but how crap are the Williams strategists?? It was fairly obvious the Mercedes would get past if they didn't pit first, and yet still they didn't... I cannot think why, the Mercedes will pull away now.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Perez leads! :) Nice race.

More_Blue_Flags

Pretty solid move on Perez by Rosberg for the lead, but Bottas' move on Perez right behind Rosberg was even better!
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

PT8475 wrote:I'm sorry but how crap are the Williams strategists?? It was fairly obvious the Mercedes would get past if they didn't pit first, and yet still they didn't... I cannot think why, the Mercedes will pull away now.

Not to mention the inconsistencies of the pitstop times.... all over the place
-Abraham Lincoln
went

Post by went »

Williams :roll: :roll: :x
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

Ed24 wrote:
PT8475 wrote:I'm sorry but how crap are the Williams strategists?? It was fairly obvious the Mercedes would get past if they didn't pit first, and yet still they didn't... I cannot think why, the Mercedes will pull away now.

It seems fairly obvious to me that they needed to pit first to keep the Mercedes behind them and retain the lead of the race, and its not as if Mercedes pitted especially early, either... I can't fathom it.
More_Blue_Flags

Rosberg beats Hamilton, Bottas gets his first podium, Williams 3-4 ... Not as exciting a race as I expected after qualifying, but it could be a lot worse.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

And even if they'd given Massa the 2.1 pitstop not Bottas he could have held the lead potentially.

Shame for the 3rd podium spot to be decided by pitstop times not on track overtaking, but well done to Bottas.
-Abraham Lincoln
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Bottas Podium = :mrgreen:

More_Blue_Flags

good_Ralf wrote:Bottas Podium = :mrgreen:

Yeah, that made it worth staring up to watch the race.
mario

Post by mario »

PT8475 wrote:
Ed24 wrote:

It seems fairly obvious to me that they needed to pit first to keep the Mercedes behind them and retain the lead of the race, and its not as if Mercedes pitted especially early, either... I can't fathom it.

I guess that part of the issue was that Williams might have thought that they could eke out the first stop to minimise the issues with tyre wear they'd encountered during the practise sessions on the soft tyre, therefore gaining time back that way. Furthermore, Hamilton actually gained slightly on the supersoft tyres (only to then lose time in the pit stop), suggesting that perhaps there was still enough life left in those tyres for a slightly longer stint.

Still, at least Williams have finally taken their chances to earn a decent points haul in this race - even if they couldn't quite hold onto the Mercedes duo, they've finally picked up a podium finish (though they really should have taken more podiums this season given their potential).
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

MARK!

I've missed that aussie.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Bottas!!!!! Great race. The track is awesome.

Has Nico finally gotten the upper hand on Lewis? Seems so, atleast on the mental side of things.

As a sidenote: Can you imagine the awkwardness of the podium interviews if Vettel had won the race? :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

DonTirri wrote:Has Nico finally gotten the upper hand on Lewis? Seems so, atleast on the mental side of things.

When he shouted to the crowd in German in a very enthusiastic manner, I feel as though Nico was trying to psychologically bury Lewis, since Hamilton can't speak German (as far as I know!).

mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Has Nico finally gotten the upper hand on Lewis? Seems so, atleast on the mental side of things.

When he shouted to the crowd in German in a very enthusiastic manner, I feel as though Nico was trying to psychologically bury Lewis, since Hamilton can't speak German (as far as I know!).

I wouldn't say he conclusively has the upper hand over him yet - judging by the radio messages and on screen information, Hamilton does still seem to have an advantage over Nico in terms of fuel management. I think that could continue to be a slight weak point for him in the coming races, and at races which are likely to be more fuel critical I think Hamilton may regain a slight edge, so I can see the initiative swinging back and forth between them for now.

The other question will be how Nico responds if and when he has a DNF - if he has his lead cut drastically or even falls behind Hamilton, it will be how he responds to that which will determine whether he really does have the psychological advantage.