The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:This time no rejectful stuff: this is how Belgian rock sounded in the nineties 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3erzXiPPm-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxYJa1dR1w
This remains, in my opinion, the greatest Belgian song this side of Jacques Brel.

I don't know why, but that kind of reminds me of this one from our side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDE9jhVcVg and i'm not quite sure if that's a good thing :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:
This wrote:This time no rejectful stuff: this is how Belgian rock sounded in the nineties 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3erzXiPPm-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxYJa1dR1w
This remains, in my opinion, the greatest Belgian song this side of Jacques Brel.

I don't know why, but that kind of reminds me of this one from our side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDE9jhVcVg and i'm not quite sure if that's a good thing :lol:

That may be because they're both about the absurdly large number of Belgians spending their holidays in Spain :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:
tommykl wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxYJa1dR1w

That may be because they're both about the absurdly large number of Belgians spending their holidays in Spain :P

We do have way too many songs about holidays in spain though (with the famous classic 'Eviva España being the most obvious one, and 'Valencia' even made it into a rejects podcast once)
But also because the Saragossa song (that's not even spelled right) has become a favourite of alternative and hipster students, somehow, i could imagine the song you posted has a similar cult status.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:
This wrote:I don't know why, but that kind of reminds me of this one from our side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVDE9jhVcVg and i'm not quite sure if that's a good thing :lol:

We do have way too many songs about holidays in spain though (with the famous classic 'Eviva España being the most obvious one, and 'Valencia' even made it into a rejects podcast once)
But also because the Saragossa song (that's not even spelled right) has become a favourite of alternative and hipster students, somehow, i could imagine the song you posted has a similar cult status.

Oh yes it does. It's Jean-Luc Fonck's best-known song as well.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Had the fortune of seeing Anna von Hausswolff (amongst several other interesting acts) over the Easter break. Would thoroughly recommend seeing her live to anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbP--RsNj70
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Digimon was better than Pokemon IMO

I find the theme tune so nostalgic.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

good_Ralf wrote:Digimon was better than Pokemon IMO

I find the theme tune so nostalgic.

Too old to get into either of them. This was my childhood.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Parklife by Blur turns 20 years old today. This Is A Low blows everything on the album out of the water IMO, and that's saying something considering that 13 of the 16 tracks are bloody awesome in their own right (I don't really like "London Loves", and you can't really count "Lot 105" and "The Debt Collector" are amusing instrumentals. :P )

Here's to another 20 years of Britpop. :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

What's the hype with 20 year old albums these days? 1994 seems to have been a year of very very good quality for music, looking back on it now.
Altough i admit i'm slightly biased, because i'm much into nineties punkrock, and almost all these bands had their breaktrough album in 1994, and next week i'll be watching both Nofx and The Offspring play their 1994 albums completely live.
Yeah, i'm getting used to the 'you know kid, in my days, this music was actually cool' attidude of attending music shows.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

This wrote:What's the hype with 20 year old albums these days? 1994 seems to have been a year of very very good quality for music, looking back on it now.
Altough i admit i'm slightly biased, because i'm much into nineties punkrock, and almost all these bands had their breaktrough album in 1994, and next week i'll be watching both Nofx and The Offspring play their 1994 albums completely live.
Yeah, i'm getting used to the 'you know kid, in my days, this music was actually cool' attidude of attending music shows.

Well, most of the people my age nowadays were a kid at that time, and it was a year where a lot of great stuff happened that's easy to remember. It takes us back to a more simpler time. (At least for my generation anyways.) I found this video not to long ago that's pretty much my childhood in a nutshell.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

This wrote:What's the hype with 20 year old albums these days? 1994 seems to have been a year of very very good quality for music, looking back on it now.

I'll be saying that in about 6 years time about albums from the year 2000.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This is from an album that's not quite 20 years old, but it's still a great song.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends

This song seems to take on an added poignancy considering the 20th anniversary events of today and tomorrow. Hadn't really thought of it until I listened to it this morning, before realising the date. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Summer's sorted - got tickets to see The Libertines (and several other bands) in Hyde Park this July. :mrgreen:

No idea how Ticketmaster didn't crash in the last 25 minutes, but it's all academic. :mrgreen:
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

We didn't progress in Eurovision. Almost everybody i know agrees that we shouldn't have send the one we did, but this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_t8cV_P64

Also: witnessing this show last saturday was legendary! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eeQX8qfrNk knowing them, this won't stay online for a very long, so enjoy.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I'm not particularly keen on either the Belgian entry that did make it to Eurovision or the one you've posted a link to there if I'm honest!

Roberto Bellarossa did have my favourite song in the whole contest last year though - it deserved to do better.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Barbazza wrote:I'm not particularly keen on either the Belgian entry that did make it to Eurovision or the one you've posted a link to there if I'm honest!

Roberto Bellarossa did have my favourite song in the whole contest last year though - it deserved to do better.

The one i linked (and didn't get selected) went totally viral, and going viral is usually a good sign. It's not anything special, but it works in a gangnam-style kind of way.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

It's been a while since I posted some synthwave. I think this should be appropriate for those who are patient.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DOSBoot wrote:It's been a while since I posted some synthwave. I think this should be appropriate for those who are patient.

*Spends next 72 hours solidly watching Miami Vice*
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Typically bonkers spoken word teaser from Morrissey (ask your Dad).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltvzfNMiF0

And thats Nancy Sinatra delivering the flowers (ask your Grandad).
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Another 20th anniversary you say? The Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance)

Imagine being at a club or a rave in early 1994, and hearing this behemoth for the first time. Bloody hell.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Another 20th anniversary you say? The Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance)

Imagine being at a club or a rave in early 1994, and hearing this behemoth for the first time. Bloody hell.

Never heard it live back then but Ive seen them do it live after then a couple of times. Monster tune, as is their whole live set, a must-see-live-before-you-die band.
Just For One Day...
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

With two weeks between the Grands Prix, F1 deprivation kicked in.
The first sign, of all, is listening to Nannini singing.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

For me, Ready Steady Go by Paul Oakenfold is perfect Monaco music, the tune fits the thought of flashing through a tight city circuit with the walls flashing past with an immense pace. For those who don't know which song I'm talking about, it's used for the car chase scene in the middle of the brilliant film The Bourne Identity.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

A nice cover to a song which I really like when I was growing up.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjTzKoupcI
The band is Blood Of The Martyrs and it's a cover of The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Pointrox wrote:Today I'm Australian.

And then he went into politics, and sold out by abandoning all his values
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Some more 20th anniversaries today

Lush released their second album "Split today, which is arguably their best album. And I just got a reply from the guitarist Emma Anderson (who appears at 0:45 in this video) on Twitter for my troubles. :mrgreen:

20 years since Shed Seven released their breakthrough single "Dolphin". Always an underrated band the Sheds were.

Oh, and it's also 20 years today since this little-known Manc band released their second single "Shakermaker". I wonder what ever became of them...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I went to a ZZ Top concert three days ago 8-)
-*:-
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

In full world cup spirit, i will share with you The Belgian national team in 1994 doing their best efforts to sing

It's not just rejectful singing, the lyrics are hopeless too.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I wasn't there in person but I thought Metallica were mighty at Glastonbury...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRE5raqWkCY

Although I could've lived without Hetfield calling it 'Glasto' all the time. That was a bit too 'old-bezzer-trying-to-sound-cool' to me.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I didn't see Metallica, I was busy nearly having my leg blown off by a crow-scarer at the Sonic stage that night...

Kasabian were absolutely nuts at Glasto, they were fantastic. A few of my favourite sets that I saw:

Chvrches
Warpaint
The 1975
The Black Keys

If you've ever wanted to go to Glastonbury, set some money aside for a ticket for next year. You will love it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

White Lies - Farewell to the Fairground Old but gold, as naff facebook pages are fond of saying. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!