The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Alextrax52 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:The ultimate case of financial strife affecting a team's performance happened this year. Take a look at all the penalties Cypriot side Alki Larnaca had this season

1 On 17 May 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted three points by CFA because they failed to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[38] On 6 August 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted another three points by CFA because they failed again to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[39] On 8 November 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted six points by CFA because they failed for the third time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[40] On 2 December 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed to meet CFA's monthly financial criteria.[41] On 8 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted nine points by CFA because they failed to pay the referees' salaries in three of their home matches (deducted three points for each match).[42] On 15 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted three points by CFA because they failed again to pay the referees' salaries in two of their home matches.[43] On 31 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the fourth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[44] On 5 February 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted nine points by CFA because they failed again to pay the referees' salaries in three of their home matches (deducted three points for each match).[45] On 6 March 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the fifth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[46] On 9 April 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the sixth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[47]

they also won 0 matches and got just 2 draws on the field too

Try as I might, I'm simply unable to tell what website, if any, you ripped that text from. If you would be so kind as to tell me, that would be good, as I am very curious.

Oh have I not mentioned it. It's on the wiki page for this year's Cyprus league page. Underneath the league table. Here you go
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:The ultimate case of financial strife affecting a team's performance happened this year. Take a look at all the penalties Cypriot side Alki Larnaca had this season

1 On 17 May 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted three points by CFA because they failed to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[38] On 6 August 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted another three points by CFA because they failed again to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[39] On 8 November 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted six points by CFA because they failed for the third time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[40] On 2 December 2013, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed to meet CFA's monthly financial criteria.[41] On 8 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted nine points by CFA because they failed to pay the referees' salaries in three of their home matches (deducted three points for each match).[42] On 15 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted three points by CFA because they failed again to pay the referees' salaries in two of their home matches.[43] On 31 January 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the fourth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[44] On 5 February 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted nine points by CFA because they failed again to pay the referees' salaries in three of their home matches (deducted three points for each match).[45] On 6 March 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the fifth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[46] On 9 April 2014, Alki Larnaca were deducted two points by CFA because they failed for the sixth time to meet the financial criteria of UEFA.[47]

Try as I might, I'm simply unable to tell what website, if any, you ripped that text from. If you would be so kind as to tell me, that would be good, as I am very curious.

Oh have I not mentioned it. It's on the wiki page for this year's Cyprus league page. Underneath the league table. Here you go

And I thought Portsmouth had it bad a few years back.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Arsenal's drought finally broken. The FA Cup is ours!

#COYG
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

> citation tags
> :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

>citation tags
> :lol:[/quote]

Freezy's not the most adept at picking up on blatant sarcasm...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
>citation tags
> :lol:

Freezy's not the most adept at picking up on blatant sarcasm...

Thanks for pointing that out captain obvious
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ataxia wrote:Freezy's not the most adept at picking up on blatant sarcasm...

Perhaps something like this will help?

I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Perhaps something like this will help?

Isn't there a star-spangled sarcasm banner kicking around on here somewhere? :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

So Atletico de Madrid won La Liga. All is good in the world.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Captain, eh? You hear that guys? I got a promotion!

I'd like to thank Freeze-O-Kimi, first of all, for bringing a touch of joy to my heart! His unique brand of dry and witty humour never fails to make me laugh. I'd also like to thank everyone else here for standing by me through the tough times...I didn't think I was worthy of such a rank!

We will celebrate with this particular song.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

I'd like to thank Freeze-O-Kimi, first of all, for bringing a touch of joy to my heart! His unique brand of dry and witty humour never fails to make me laugh. I'd also like to thank everyone else here for standing by me through the tough times...I didn't think I was worthy of such a rank!

You may be Captain Obvious to him but you're General Sarcasm to me. 8-)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Frentzen127 wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Thanks for pointing that out captain obvious

You may be Captain Obvious to him but you're General Sarcasm to me. 8-)

Why did he even point this out in the first place? It was fun to watch it all unfold. To me Ataxia is more like a...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Your not trying to drag me into a bitter rivalry are you?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

I guarantee you that that's exactly what he's trying to do. He's the Senna to your Prost, the Hunt to your Lauda, the Villeneuve to your Pironi, the Nakano to your Takagi.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Biscione wrote:Why did he even point this out in the first place? It was fun to watch it all unfold. To me Ataxia is more like a...

HIMYM gifs, eh? I guess that calls for some Corporal Punishment...IT DOESN'T TAKE NINE SEASONS TO TELL A STORY, MOSBY!

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Bitter rivalry? But I don't brew beer...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

This whole coversation is funny and stupid at the same damn time
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Back to fooball/soccer (circle where applicable)

A great weekend for me, Arsenal winning the FA Cup. All the BS memes can now stop, and lets all bag Tottenham!

Also, delighted that my Serie A side Parma are back in Europe after 10 years, in that period, been relegated, promoted, gone through 10 or so managers etc etc.

A fantastic result, considering they finished ahead of AC Milan, Udinese, Lazio etc.

It was a dramatic final day, Parma secured 6th as 7th placed Torino missed an injury time penalty and ended up 2:2!

Bring on the Champions League now, then the WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

David AGS wrote:Back to fooball/soccer (circle where applicable)

A great weekend for me, Arsenal winning the FA Cup. All the BS memes can now stop, and lets all bag Tottenham!

Hey, I'm a spurs fan!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

So, who is the Reject of the Season for major European football leagues? :geek:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
takagi_for_the_win

shinji wrote:...the Nakano to your Takagi.

You smell. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

FMecha wrote:So, who is the Reject of the Season for major European football leagues? :geek:

<insert your favourite club>. <manager for the plurality of the season> made so many terrible decisions, particularly the signing of <player signed mid-season>, who wasn't even close to worth the <what they lost to get player> he was supposed to be. The losses against <backmarker team> and <backmarker team> were just embarrassing, and the <club that gave them their largest defeat of the season> game at <stadium> summed up all the problems with their <"continued" or "new", depending upon his being present from the start of the season> choice of <manager at the time>. <striker> had trouble getting anything on target after his <good/similarly poor> showing last season, <goalkeeper> never knew where to place himself, and <defender replaced mid-season> probably singlehandedly cost us <game where his performance his poor>, robbing us of three points <and losing us the title/and ultimately relegating us/not that it mattered with what a lacklustre season it was>. And I don't think I need to explain how the financial situation was completely mishandled. How we <did/did not> manage <position in league and/or place in international championship>, I'll never fully understand, even with that rant.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

FMecha wrote:So, who is the Reject of the Season for major European football leagues? :geek:

<insert your favourite club>. <manager for the plurality of the season> made so many terrible decisions, particularly the signing of <player signed mid-season>, who wasn't even close to worth the <what they lost to get player> he was supposed to be. The losses against <backmarker team> and <backmarker team> were just embarrassing, and the <club that gave them their largest defeat of the season> game at <stadium> summed up all the problems with their <"continued" or "new", depending upon his being present from the start of the season> choice of <manager at the time>. <striker> had trouble getting anything on target after his <good/similarly poor> showing last season, <goalkeeper> never knew where to place himself, and <defender replaced mid-season> probably singlehandedly cost us <game where his performance his poor>, robbing us of three points <and losing us the title/and ultimately relegating us/not that it mattered with what a lacklustre season it was>. And I don't think I need to explain how the financial situation was completely mishandled. How we <did/did not> manage <position in league and/or place in international championship>, I'll never fully understand, even with that rant.

Post of the year, right there.

Anyways, ROTY must be the Belgian play-off system, for not only being overly complicated, but also for allowing a club that ended the regular season 12 points behind to win the league and also creating a situation where the play-off match for the Europa League would not be played because one of the teams doesn't have the licence to play in Europe and is in fact the only team in the league not to have such a licence.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
takagi_for_the_win

Tony Pulis should have got the United job :P just thought I'd throw it out there...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:Anyways, ROTY must be the Belgian play-off system, for not only being overly complicated, but also for allowing a club that ended the regular season 12 points behind to win the league and also creating a situation where the play-off match for the Europa League would not be played because one of the teams doesn't have the licence to play in Europe and is in fact the only team in the league not to have such a licence.

I agree, the team that scored the most points should always be the champion, right? Not in Belgium! (Standard scored more points than Anderlecht in the main league and play-offs combined, still they end up behind Anderlecht because of the weirdness of the system) And the less i say about the play-off2 nonsense, the better. At least for once the play-off3 didn't produce any weird results.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Addio Javier. Il Capitano per sempre... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Image Image
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Yay, we have a Spurs fan here!

Hold the phone, Parma's hard earnt European Spot for 6th place is on hold, apparently they dont have a certain licence (or havent paid for it!). Thats Serie A for you, always something come up!

In terms of rejects, well, I gotta say Manchester United.

I know replacing a legendary manager isn't easy, but Im sure many people were minimum expecting a Champions League. But to not get into Europe at all is a sheer embarrassment for a club of there size, also considering they were defending champions.

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

David AGS wrote:Yay, we have a Spurs fan here!

As a fellow Gooner, I have this to say:

What do we think of Tottenham? ;)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

David AGS wrote:Hold the phone, Parma's hard earnt European Spot for 6th place is on hold, apparently they dont have a certain licence (or havent paid for it!). Thats Serie A for you, always something come up!

They have a great manager in Donadoni, but Ghirardi's reputation is so-so. He's known for being a little bit cheap and trying to squeeze the margins of all his deals. He likes the 'supermarket' method of buying cheap and selling cheap in volume to stack up to a decent profit. IIRC they have more co-ownerships than any other team in Italy. He tries to be efficient...and perhaps this time he was a little bit too efficient and fell foul of UEFA regulations for it.

As heartless as it may sound, I'd prefer to see the Granata in EL, assuming they can hang on to their key players. Immobile-Cerci is a formidable forward lineup, and with Gillet back from his ban hopefully they'll be more secure in front of goal compared with Padelli this year. They could do with a better CB partner for Glik as well, they never really replaced Ogbonna properly after he left for Juventus.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

As a Spurs fan, I reserve the right to call Arsenal, Arseholes :P
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Does Arsenal finishing above spuds for the last 19 years make you bitter? :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

How painful was it seeing Arsenal end their trophy drought?
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

This season, I was slightly bored by them.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:As a fellow Gooner, I have this to say:

How painful was it seeing Arsenal end their trophy drought?

Very painful.

pasta_maldonado wrote:Does Arsenal finishing above spuds for the last 19 years make you bitter? :P

No because at least the mighty spurs beat Wigan 9-1. Not even the so called "Invincibles" could manage that :P
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Does Arsenal finishing above spuds for the last 19 years make you bitter? :P

No because at least the mighty spurs beat Wigan 9-1. Not even the so called "Invincibles" could manage that :P

Mighty?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, Tottenham can at least be glad they beat Man United this year, but Tottenham have always been in my view the sign of midfielder quality. At least they have the capability to pull out something like this once in a while.

But quite honestly, I find Tottenham boring, hence why I don't support them much. Plus, I'm pro-Arsenal. Maybe it was just meant to be that way.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Biscione wrote:
David AGS wrote:Hold the phone, Parma's hard earnt European Spot for 6th place is on hold, apparently they dont have a certain licence (or havent paid for it!). Thats Serie A for you, always something come up!

They have a great manager in Donadoni, but Ghirardi's reputation is so-so. He's known for being a little bit cheap and trying to squeeze the margins of all his deals. He likes the 'supermarket' method of buying cheap and selling cheap in volume to stack up to a decent profit. IIRC they have more co-ownerships than any other team in Italy. He tries to be efficient...and perhaps this time he was a little bit too efficient and fell foul of UEFA regulations for it.

Yes, I agree with the size of the squad, something of 150+ players on the books. Have to remember Ghirardi not the most richest man in Italian football though. Hes still a young chap, and made his cash through his family business (I think!) He bought the club when no one wanted to so deserves a bit of credit on his side. I think a bit harsh for the Granata to be there instead. They went 17 games undefeated, and seen the likes of Parolo, and Paletta force their way to the national squad, and the rebirth of Fantonio too.

Whatever the case, they must build on this. The Don must stay, and they must keep of their stars. Molinaro has been good, does Schelotto stay, does Amauri stay, can they keep Parolo and Paletta etc etc. They would all demand or currently on huge wages.

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Belgium
I've explained you people before about the matricule system the Belgian football is using. I've already mentioned that Seraing, currently playing in 1st provincial has bought the matricule of Boussu Dour, playing in 2nd national. Now Boussu Dour on their hand will take over the matricule of Charleroi Fleurus, to play in 4th national. As i mentioned before Charleroi Fleurus has merged with FC Charleroi, but they will continue with the matricule of Seraing, in 1th provincial league. This, ladies and gentlemen, is Belgium at its finest.
Another club is planning on doing the same. 4th national side team Terjoden-Welle (which i suppose is going to merge with Dender) has sold their matricule to Crossing Schaerbeek. (their claim to fame is their recently demolished stadium, very famous in the urbex-scene) but this team is not the same as the original Crossing, who currently play somewhere in the lower provincial leagues, and have moved out of Schaerbeek somewhere in the eighties. It's a different team taking over the name and the cult of another team that actually still exists. And yes, Crossing is yet another team from Brussels.
I don't wish to sound Flamingant, but it's usually the teams in Brussels and Wallonia where these weird things tend to happen :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Meanwhile in Belgium
I've explained you people before about the matricule system the Belgian football is using. I've already mentioned that Seraing, currently playing in 1st provincial has bought the matricule of Boussu Dour, playing in 2nd national. Now Boussu Dour on their hand will take over the matricule of Charleroi Fleurus, to play in 4th national. As i mentioned before Charleroi Fleurus has merged with FC Charleroi, but they will continue with the matricule of Seraing, in 1th provincial league. This, ladies and gentlemen, is Belgium at its finest.
Another club is planning on doing the same. 4th national side team Terjoden-Welle (which i suppose is going to merge with Dender) has sold their matricule to Crossing Schaerbeek. (their claim to fame is their recently demolished stadium, very famous in the urbex-scene) but this team is not the same as the original Crossing, who currently play somewhere in the lower provincial leagues, and have moved out of Schaerbeek somewhere in the eighties. It's a different team taking over the name and the cult of another team that actually still exists. And yes, Crossing is yet another team from Brussels.
I don't wish to sound Flamingant, but it's usually the teams in Brussels and Wallonia where these weird things tend to happen :P

That's because all those teams are in relatively shite places :P And don't tell me you wouldn't see that sort of stuff in Antwerp ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Speaking of Belgian Football, (Ive touched on this before!)

More than likely, the best GK judged from the Belgian league will be Australia's No.1 in the World Cup. That is Matt Ryan, who is still only 23, but seems to have been around for ever, joining Club Brugge from our league.

Also, middle of last year I put a small wager on Belgium winning the World Cup. Hope they dont let me down!!!!!!!!!

Having an invested interest, I will defo be keeping an eye on them.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Speaking of the world cup, it seems that most European based players will be dragging themselves on the pitch. Again. That certainly opens up the competition and can throw one or two surprise teams in the mix but I think it is far from ideal. While I still enjoy club football, for me there is nothing like the World Cup. For the ambience surrounding it, the unique way it is played and the somewhat leveling of the playing field as the competition in itself is still somewhat above all the darkness brought by the excessive loads of corrupt money you can find in club football. I hope I am not alone on this... :roll:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Panini World Cup sticker swap tiem!

We just received a shipment from Brazil yesterday and have some spares to swap with people! Here's my full list of current doubles, post yours and we can see if we can swap some!

Code: Select all

44 - Dante (BRA)
 74 - Rodriguez (MEX)
107 - Eto'o (CAM) [x2]
117 - Sergio Busquets (ESP)
119 - Iniesta (ESP)
161 - Aranguiz (CHI)
184 - Colombia (shiny nation sticker)
188 - Zapata (COL)
196 - Cuadrado (COL)
221 - Mitroglou (GRE)
231 - Yaya Toure (CIV)
247 - Nagatomo (JAP)
270 - Diego Perez (URG)
302 - Johnson (ENG)
303 - Gary Cahill (ENG)
326 - De Rossi (ITA)
327 - Pirlo (ITA)
393 - Honduras (shiny nation sticker)
408 - Jerry Palacios (HON)
427 - Palacio (ARG)
558 - Diskerud (USA)

Image Image