Reject of the Race - Spanish GP 2014

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Reject of the Race - Spanish GP 2014

Post by WeirdKerr »

I'm gonna nominate F1 in it's entirety.... come on its just getting boring as bathplug now, I'm seriously considering not watching Monaco (in fact I'm travelling back from a weeks holiday on the Saturday so I will miss qualifying anyway) sure Bahrain was ok but not as much of a classic as everyone says(there ive said it here and don't need to put it in unpopular opinions) I have been watching F1 since 1988 and even during the redwash years of 2000 - 2004 I was not gonna miss a race( I even sat through the farce that was the 2005 US GP in the vain hope that the Ferraris would I dunno take each other off or something) I cannot remember being as bored yet still need to keep watching just in case something happens...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

WeirdKerr wrote:I'm gonna nominate F1 in it's entirety.... come on its just getting boring as bathplug now, I'm seriously considering not watching Monaco (in fact I'm travelling back from a weeks holiday on the Saturday so I will miss qualifying anyway) sure Bahrain was ok but not as much of a classic as everyone says(there ive said it here and don't need to put it in unpopular opinions) I have been watching F1 since 1988 and even during the redwash years of 2000 - 2004 I was not gonna miss a race( I even sat through the farce that was the 2005 US GP in the vain hope that the Ferraris would I dunno take each other off or something) I cannot remember being as bored yet still need to keep watching just in case something happens...

What about the last 5-10 laps with battles for 1st, 4th and 6th? Two of which involved team-mates battling fairly. I'll give you it's not ideal or what we want from a race, but you can't be expecting much more from any given race.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

WeirdKerr wrote:I'm gonna nominate F1 in it's entirety.... come on its just getting boring as bathplug now, I'm seriously considering not watching Monaco (in fact I'm travelling back from a weeks holiday on the Saturday so I will miss qualifying anyway) sure Bahrain was ok but not as much of a classic as everyone says(there ive said it here and don't need to put it in unpopular opinions) I have been watching F1 since 1988 and even during the redwash years of 2000 - 2004 I was not gonna miss a race( I even sat through the farce that was the 2005 US GP in the vain hope that the Ferraris would I dunno take each other off or something) I cannot remember being as bored yet still need to keep watching just in case something happens...

Did you forget about the 2nd half of last year? In my opinion that was worse than now, because at the moment no-one else appears to be threatening to switch off their TVs like many stated after races such as Spa or Abu Dhabi last year. Also I think there is a little more diversity behind Merc e.g. Force India and Williams being right up there.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

3. Mr. Director
2. "Stay two seconds back" tyres
1. Maldonado
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, tough decisions again for my top 3.

3. Pastor Maldonado - Look at the first three letters in this guy's last name. It's mal, Spanish for bad. And bad he was this weekend.

2. TV Director - Quite honestly, I wanted more, not that there was more anyway. The race was pretty boring, easily the most boring this year, but switching to Nico's fianceé right when he could have made a move for the win and possibly missing an important moment makes me think rejectful. At least it wasn't as bad as the 2004 French GP.

1. McLaren - There is absolutely no denial now. McLaren are the only ones who completely deserve this ROTR. Absolutely nowhere, despite Button getting to Q3. They were comletely and utterly thrashed by Grosjean's Lotus. They couldn't score a point for 3 races in a row despite having by far the best engine. They keep bringing updates that constantly fail, because it seems they can't be bothered to gain an understanding for the car. All this results in falling behind Williams, something no one would have thought of, and getting their asses swiftly kicked by Force India and Ferrari once again. I cannot fathom how they've managed to fend off a full award since the award was first given, but seriously, this is quickly becoming a standard for both Reject of the Race and Reject of the Year.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Meatwad wrote:
BigG80 wrote:The Race Director deserves a mention for the lingering shot of Rosberg's fiance during the last lap. Seriously? 1st and 2nd covered by less than a second and the guy in 2nd is quicker and you choose to focus on his missus? Appalling.

Klon wrote:The Monkeyman In Charge Of The World Feed - I mean, come the bathplug on, it's the final overtaking spot on the final lap and you show Rosberg's bit...burger-prefering fiancee? Are you insane, drunk or did you just need to knock out a crafty one?

If they need to include unnecessary shots of the drivers' girlfriends, why not Gutiérrez's? :(

I don't see why they feel the need to include shots of the drivers' girlfriends in the first place. They don't make an ounce of difference to the actual racing. I'm not here, incredibly enough, to look at lingering shots of women that are associated with other men. I'm here to watch cars go very quickly around a circuit, to watch drivers make those cars go very quickly around a circuit and occasionally, to see them bathplug it up and either try to recover the situation or smash the car against one of the barriers.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

RAK wrote:
Meatwad wrote:
BigG80 wrote:The Race Director deserves a mention for the lingering shot of Rosberg's fiance during the last lap. Seriously? 1st and 2nd covered by less than a second and the guy in 2nd is quicker and you choose to focus on his missus? Appalling.

Klon wrote:The Monkeyman In Charge Of The World Feed - I mean, come the bathplug on, it's the final overtaking spot on the final lap and you show Rosberg's bit...burger-prefering fiancee? Are you insane, drunk or did you just need to knock out a crafty one?

If they need to include unnecessary shots of the drivers' girlfriends, why not Gutiérrez's? :(

I don't see why they feel the need to include shots of the drivers' girlfriends in the first place. They don't make an ounce of difference to the actual racing. I'm not here, incredibly enough, to look at lingering shots of women that are associated with other men. I'm here to watch cars go very quickly around a circuit, to watch drivers make those cars go very quickly around a circuit and occasionally, to see them bathplug it up and either try to recover the situation or smash the car against one of the barriers.

Unfortunately we live in a celebrity driven era, where the cult of those who are famous is strong within the western civilization. People want to know everything about their lives and even what they are feeling what any given time. It sells and one can only see the amount of followers a each famous bloke has on twitter or facebook and the outrage that comes around when 'one of them' does something wrong. Since it is common knowledge that F1 is trying to attract casual fans, showcasing celebrities, loved ones and their emotions can be one strategy with this goal in mind as it is fiddling with the rules in order to 'improve' the show.

Obviously, there are those who refuse to live by this mainstream way of life but the majority of this forum seem to go on by the same rule except that it focus more on alternative stars like current and former F1 rejects lives! ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think its fine to include shots of drivers partners during races (although not at the end like on Sunday, obv) in the same way its fine to see members of the drivers family (Felipe Massas Dad looks like a nice guy, he can high five me any time!). Used right it can break up the pallette of the coverage, whilst building, perhaps, a broader understanding of where a driver is, where he's at etc. Also, some drivers partners are famous in their own right where they come from, so viewers from that country can make a connection there too.

I mean, look at Ralf Schumachers ex-wife, she was famous back in Germany.

Perhaps not for the right reasons though....
Just For One Day...
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

1. Maldonado – Insists on driving like a clown while his team-mate drags the car into the points.
2. McLaren – Since Melbourne they've been the slowest of the Mercedes powered teams. They’re running out of excuses and this season is starting to look like 2013 for them.

Dishonourable mentions
Massa - Anonymous all weekend and soundly beaten by #BO77AS.
Caterham - Easily out paced by Marussia, plus another brake failure on Kamui’s car.
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Yeah, I for my part don't mind if they have non-racing shots during the race, some people have an interest in that and in some rarer cases it's better than what's going on on the track (Rowan Atkinson's reaction to Massa and Hamilton in India 2011 was the best thing about the whole damn race :lol: ) - but not on the final lap with a battle for the lead, dammit. If you really want to show her reaction, use a damn split screen.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Klon wrote: If you really want to show her reaction, use a damn split screen.

I don't understand why FOM never use those things. Sometimes in the early 2005 races FOM would show have a main shot while at the same time have something else e.g. a pit stop in a smaller box in the corner of the screen.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Maldonaldo: This guy won here two years ago?

2. McLaren: Failed to score yet again.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Massa: The other DBTMOTR.

TV Director: Not focusing on the good stuff.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Conspiracy theory alert:

McLaren aren't being given the best Mercedes engines given that they have already announced a switch to Honda power for 2015 and I for 1 do not find it surprising they appear to have slipped back in the order following Melbourne....
mario

Post by mario »

WeirdKerr wrote:Conspiracy theory alert:

McLaren aren't being given the best Mercedes engines given that they have already announced a switch to Honda power for 2015 and I for 1 do not find it surprising they appear to have slipped back in the order following Melbourne....

The regulations are meant to be set up such that the manufacturers have to supply the same specification engine to all of their customers that they use themselves, so by rights McLaren should have exactly the same engine as Force India, Williams and Mercedes. Mercedes have stated that McLaren is getting minimal support from them to prevent the transfer of information to Honda, true, but that is not necessarily the same thing (furthermore, McLaren were already receiving reduced support because they are a customer team rather than the works team).

To be honest, I would suggest that their decline down the order owes more to having a car with, according to Button, a very narrow set up window, possibly being a bit too hard on their tyres (possibly related to their unconventional rear suspension set up) and having an inexperienced second driver (Button has indicated that Magnussen's inexperience means that driver feedback is more limited when it comes to setting up the cars). They also seem to have been slower than usual in bringing upgrades to the car - there has been a small change in the nose and, in Barcelona, a modified diffuser and rear brake ducts, but otherwise they are only really keeping track, at best, with the field.

To a certain extent, the set up issues could mean that some of their slump in form is possibly driver related too - remember the slump in form that Button went through in the early part of the 2012 season?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Conspiracy theory alert:

The regulations are meant to be set up such that the manufacturers have to supply the same specification engine to all of their customers that they use themselves, so by rights McLaren should have exactly the same engine as Force India, Williams and Mercedes. Mercedes have stated that McLaren is getting minimal support from them to prevent the transfer of information to Honda, true, but that is not necessarily the same thing (furthermore, McLaren were already receiving reduced support because they are a customer team rather than the works team).

To be honest, I would suggest that their decline down the order owes more to having a car with, according to Button, a very narrow set up window, possibly being a bit too hard on their tyres (possibly related to their unconventional rear suspension set up) and having an inexperienced second driver (Button has indicated that Magnussen's inexperience means that driver feedback is more limited when it comes to setting up the cars). They also seem to have been slower than usual in bringing upgrades to the car - there has been a small change in the nose and, in Barcelona, a modified diffuser and rear brake ducts, but otherwise they are only really keeping track, at best, with the field.

To a certain extent, the set up issues could mean that some of their slump in form is possibly driver related too - remember the slump in form that Button went through in the early part of the 2012 season?

Linking driver feedback to form, is there any reason to suggest that Button himself, not just Magnussen, is not great at this? I struggle to remember 2 consecutive seasons where Button has had a good car and also he can be well off the pace when he can't find a set up.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:Linking driver feedback to form, is there any reason to suggest that Button himself, not just Magnussen, is not great at this? I struggle to remember 2 consecutive seasons where Button has had a good car and also he can be well off the pace when he can't find a set up.

In 2012 he did have set up struggles; he finished 16th in Canada and missed the Q1 cut at Silverstone. Then he got his set up spot-on at Spa and crushed the opposition.

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Official decision time.

I have felt it calling me all week. An irrepressible urge which has been rising like a phoenix (!) deep within and which can no longer be resisted after all these years of handing out Reject of the Race awards.

The voices in my head are much too loud and this time I must give in.

McLaren-Mercedes.

There. I've done it. I've given an outright ROTR to McLaren.

That's three straight pointless races. And this mob were leading the constructors' championship after Melbourne?!? The car has too narrow an operating window, the team doesn't understand it, updates aren't working, the drivers already seem dispirited, and it looks as boring as it's currently performing. I'm not even sure McLaren were in the Spanish GP. That kind of anonymity I would expect from Sauber, but from McLaren it's criminal.

(And yes, The Reverend did present another good case. But just in case McLaren work a miracle in the next race or two and actually improve, I had to give them an ROTR while I had the chance. I suspect there might be more Maldonado madness in the future. In fact, I think that's a fairly safe bet.)
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

A TOAST TO THE IRREPRESSIBLE PHOENIX WITHIN ENOCH...MAY YOU CONTINUE TO ENTERTAIN US FOR YEARS TO COME!

But I couldn't stop laughing at the featured picture..Louis Deletraz's Monza dominance gives away to his legendary dad and even more legendary rubber company Durex :D
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Wayhard

Post by Wayhard »

The first fifty laps. Cracker ending but it was a snooze to get there.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The "genuine peril" we were promised! I was expecting some good-old races with 5+ retirements each with all the rule changes. Those smart-asses have already made their cars reliable again! At the same time, even with all the initial unreliability in the first 3 races, there's still 7 drivers who haven't retired once (8 if you ignore Perez's DNS).

I've been trying to see how Vergne compares to Kvyat, but three retirements (one by damage) later I have no clue who's doing better. It's 1-1 on races where they've both finished. It's also really sad that Kobayashi's in the Caterham, which is going to be really susceptible to unreliability all year. I hope he keeps up his old ways and survives with his head held high.

So I give my vote to the reliability Gods, who decided to punish Vergne and Kobayashi. Give the boys a chance :( give the McLarens a problem instead. They'll be glad to get the race over with.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
RAK

Post by RAK »

Rob Dylan wrote:The "genuine peril" we were promised! I was expecting some good-old races with 5+ retirements each with all the rule changes. Those smart-asses have already made their cars reliable again! At the same time, even with all the initial unreliability in the first 3 races, there's still 7 drivers who haven't retired once (8 if you ignore Perez's DNS).

I've been trying to see how Vergne compares to Kvyat, but three retirements (one by damage) later I have no clue who's doing better. It's 1-1 on races where they've both finished. It's also really sad that Kobayashi's in the Caterham, which is going to be really susceptible to unreliability all year. I hope he keeps up his old ways and survives with his head held high.

So I give my vote to the reliability Gods, who decided to punish Vergne and Kobayashi. Give the boys a chance :( give the McLarens a problem instead. They'll be glad to get the race over with.

I'm hoping that the smaller number of engines will cause some issues by the end of the year. There's a wicked streak inside me that would love for that sort of thing to happen at Abu Dhabi in such a way as to make the double points rule look like the farce it is.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!