Reject of the Race - Spanish GP 2014

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AdrianSutil

Reject of the Race - Spanish GP 2014

Post by AdrianSutil »

Maldonado. Just awful.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Alextrax52

Re: Reject of the Race - Spanish GP 2014

Post by Alextrax52 »

Maldonado: Gotta be hasn't it. Crashed again and potted around in 15th while Grosjean held onto 8th
Mclaren: This is just painful, You've got a Mercedes engine for christ sake and you couldn't score as much as a single point
Felipe Massa: What happened to him? Disappeared off the face of the planet after his 2nd stop
Sauber: Useless again, Gutierrez was helpless in those early stages and Sutil was anonymous
Nico Hulkenberg: Yeah he scored but Perez was beating him. That's not how it's should be
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ericsson. He won't be on the grid for very much longer.
-*:-
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

My picks:
Maldonado - keeps finding ways to bin the car and get penalties
McLaren - 6th in the WCC. SIXTH. Great job guys.
Sauber - Not only an anvil, but an anvil that drops pieces. Wonderful.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Maldonado - Trolling around to 15th place, another crash this weekend. Not looking good, mainly if you compare him against Romain.
Mclaren - The podium at Melbourne keeps more and more like a fluke and having Mercedes engines and not scoring points isn't good. Doesn't look good at all.
Sauber - Gutierrez still tried in the beginning, but the vanished and him and Sutil just finished ahead of the backmarkers.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Eddie Jordan - Because Eddie Jordan.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Maldonado
2) McLaren
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

1. Madlonado - no surprises here though.
2. Mclaren - getting slightly concerning.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

1. Massa
2. McLaren

Dishon'ble mentions to the Hon'ble Reverend, and Ericsson.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Malolnado. Again. For sure.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Felipe Massa: Bad, very bad race. I give my ROTR for him instead of Maldonado, because he, at least, finished in 15th despite that penalty (for me, it was a race incident). But Massa didn't make work his strategy and finished behind both Mclarens.

Special mention for:
Sauber: finished behind Maldonado, who got a Stop/Go penalty.
Mclaren: another 0 points weekend.
Maldonado: Your team mate got some points and you... At least, he recovered well from the penalty.
Caterham: Well beaten by Marussia during all weekend.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Everyone but Mercedes - You know when your car is a dog when the two leaders are a pitstop ahead in under 20 laps. Everyone has been caught off guard by the potency of the Merc, and right now, I can't see anyone getting their shite together enough to be able to mount a serious challenge to Mercedes before 2015.
Last edited by pasta_maldonado on 11 May 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Pastor Maldonado: The return of "Crashtor" only means bad news for Lotus

2)McLaren: Simply anonymous all race

Dishonorable mention for Sauber (still sucks)

The Sleeping Pill Award goes to the first half of the race
mario

Post by mario »

SgtPepper wrote:1. Madlonado - no surprises here though.
2. Mclaren - getting slightly concerning.

I have to agree with that order - Maldonado could potentially have finished in the points if he hadn't thrown his car into the barriers given the sort of performance he showed during the practise sessions, but wasted that potential.

As for McLaren, the car has shown occasional flashes of pace but, if some of Button's comments are to be believed, the car has far too narrow an operating window to consistently take advantage of its potential. They've been beaten by several teams that have substantially fewer resources and, although the team is updating the car, the developments just don't seem to be really pushing them that far up the grid.

I also agree with others who have suggested that Massa gets an honourable mention at the very least - whilst he did initially make some ground up off the start, he just continued to fade as the race went on and slipped back fairly rapidly (even if part of that was down to being on the wrong strategy).

pasta_maldonado wrote:Everyone but Mercedes - You know when your car is a dog when the two leaders are a pitstop ahead in under 20 laps. Everyone has been caught off guard by the potency of the Merc, and right now, I can't see anyone getting their shite together enough to be able to mount a serious challenge to Mercedes before 2015.

That did owe a bit to Bottas somewhat backing up the pack, as it did look as if Bottas was holding Ricciardo up in the opening laps, plus to a certain extent you wonder if Vettel might have been a bit closer had he not started all the way down in 15th (his pace at times was quite strong). I could possibly see the Red Bulls providing some threat to Mercedes at the highest downforce circuits - Monaco and the Hungaroring - and, if Renault do make steady improvements over the season, becoming a possible threat towards the end of the season (though probably too late in the season to make much difference).

[EDIT] Actually, thinking about it, Toro Rosso deserve an honourable mention (or perhaps that should be dishonourable mention) for Vergne's retirement - that is the second time that Vergne has retired from a race due to mechanical problems, which means that he now has the joint highest number of retirements so far this season (three, which is the same as Sutil).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Everyone but Mercedes - You know when your car is a dog when the two leaders are a pitstop ahead in under 20 laps. Everyone has been caught off guard by the potency of the Merc, and right now, I can't see anyone getting their shite together enough to be able to mount a serious challenge to Mercedes before 2015.

I have a feeling the Red Bull will be there or there abouts towards the very end of the season, but it looks incredibly unlikely before that. Either way, at least we're getting to see some really great battles for the lead while they dominate.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Firstly, honourable mention to both Caterham and Marcus Ericsson. Neither driver nor team looked like impressing anybody throughout the weekend and one wonders how long Caterham's managerial changes will be given to work and how long Ericsson has left with these anonymous performances.

However, I think I have to join in in proclaiming Sauber as the masters of all anonymity. Unless you're Caterham, when your only mention throughout the coverage of a race is effectively Graeme Lowdon of Marussia saying they genuinely think they can compete with your team very soon, something is wrong.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Actually struggling to think of any obvious choices!! We expect this from Maldonado, and McLaren and Sauber are more generally ROTY worthy than ROTR!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

The race itself should at least get a honourable mention... apart from the last 10 laps or so it was just an awful sit-out to watch.. it didn't even make me cheer a bit. Also Sauber was pretty poor once more..

But yeah, the obivous winner is..

1. Maldonado - Binning it once more in qualifying when finally given a decent car. Horribly outclassed by Grosjean in the race... and all the while he took another penalty by colliding with Ericsson. I'm fed up with the guy
2. McLaren - 2013 doesn't seem to be an incident.. but more likely the new standard. Lewis is chuckling in his Merc.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Maldonado - I wonder if he remembers winning this race once?
Luca de Montezemolo - Enough with the moaning and take some positive action!
Just For One Day...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

SgtPepper wrote:

I have a feeling the Red Bull will be there or there abouts towards the very end of the season, but it looks incredibly unlikely before that. Either way, at least we're getting to see some really great battles for the lead while they dominate.

That is a bonus. I'm particularly looking forward to how the battle plays out in Monaco, and whether Rosberg can get the jump on Hamilton and win the race.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

GerhardTalger wrote:The race itself should at least get a honourable mention... apart from the last 10 laps or so it was just an awful sit-out to watch..

A typical Barcelona race for the most part then.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Its a tough one but it comes down to two nominations
Mclaren will be nominated for ANOTHER useless weekend. Seriously its worse than 2013.

But my ROTR goes to Maldonado for ANOTHER crashtastic weekend. Seriously he must cost more than what he brings in.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
RAK

Post by RAK »

Pastor Maldonado: Crashes in qualifying, putting him at the back of the grid. Crashes with a Sauber, giving him a stop/go penalty. Just a general hazard. All over the shop.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Maldonado - why is he even still in F1?
McLaren - Perez must be glad to be out of there.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The Current State of Formula 1: Before going to sleep I wrote down what I expected the finishing order to be. Got the first 3 right. I missed the race.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

The Monkeyman In Charge Of The World Feed - I mean, come the bathplug on, it's the final overtaking spot on the final lap and you show Rosberg's bit...burger-prefering fiancee? Are you insane, drunk or did you just need to knock out a crafty one?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The TV coverage was pretty dreadful. So were McLaren - now expected. So was Maldonado - and as that is now pretty much also expected, I am going to give it to Massa instead for being utterly rubbish compared to Bottas, especially after his last stop.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BBC iPlayer - It's 6 hours since the race finished (there or thereabouts), and it's still not available to watch. :?
Felipe Massa - Considering I had to watch the SKY highlights, what on earth happened to him? He was running in the lower points, and suddenly we get a jump of about 10 laps, and he's in 14th?
The Reverend - Please stop crashing, that way the casuals won't hate on you. :|
Sauber - BLEH

But ROTR has to go to:

McLaren - There's no excuse now Enoch. Slap them their long-overdue overall ROTR.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Maldonado for a poor weekend. Blaming the tyres for the quali crash is ridiculous. Brundle always says these guys are highly paid heating engineers and so the blame must fall to him. And his race tangle was very reminiscent of Maldonado crashes of days gone by.

The Race Director deserves a mention for the lingering shot of Rosberg's fiance during the last lap. Seriously? 1st and 2nd covered by less than a second and the guy in 2nd is quicker and you choose to focus on his missus? Appalling.

Given up on Sauber and McLaren this year. Sauber are just dull and McLaren won't be improving until the change in structure is settled and begins to deliver. Just as it did at all the other teams that have gone up and down in the past.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I would like to mention Maldonado's bad race or Massa's bad race, but my reject of the race is Eddie Jordan's shirt. :lol:
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Nominating McLaren, because they have to win sometime :?

Alternate nomination for Eddie Jordan for giving a bland interview on the podium. Still waiting for Jeremy Clarkson to have a go... :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

BigG80 wrote:The Race Director deserves a mention for the lingering shot of Rosberg's fiance during the last lap. Seriously? 1st and 2nd covered by less than a second and the guy in 2nd is quicker and you choose to focus on his missus? Appalling.

Klon wrote:The Monkeyman In Charge Of The World Feed - I mean, come the bathplug on, it's the final overtaking spot on the final lap and you show Rosberg's bit...burger-prefering fiancee? Are you insane, drunk or did you just need to knock out a crafty one?

If they need to include unnecessary shots of the drivers' girlfriends, why not Gutiérrez's? :(

I nominate Malfunctionado (I like that nickname). He just never learns. He must be one of the worst drivers to win a Grand Prix, if not the worst.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I feel like a stuck record: Maldonado, Sauber, McLaren, Maldonado, Sauber, McLaren, Maldonado...

So instead, I'll pull out the old chestnut of nominating the track as ROTR. Barcelona has never been an interesting enough circuit to be on the calendar and ending testing there hasn't made any difference. There are at least 3 other tracks in Spain (Valencia Ricardo Tormo, Jerez, Aragon, heck maybe even Navarra) capable of hosting the Grand Prix, so mix it up a bit please.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oh, and a dishounourable mention to the BBC coverage. Suzy Perry is an awful presenter, really. How long ago do the pre-Sky days seem now? Best overall coverage I've witnessed in my life, thoroughly enjoyable.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

East Londoner wrote:Felipe Massa - Considering I had to watch the SKY highlights, what on earth happened to him? He was running in the lower points, and suddenly we get a jump of about 10 laps, and he's in 14th?

His was a classic case of not being able to make a three-stop work. Williams's race pace was pretty poor today.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

For an individual - Maldonado by a fair margin. I will give Massa the benefit of the doubt, as his drop in form may be due to an indifferent strategy decision (see some of my ROTR comments for earlier races in reference to Williams'decision making and management capabilities).

For a collective - McLaren and Sauber are still woeful. Well before pre-season testing I had expected McLaren to have a lean year until getting a Honda engine in 2015, but even before the false dawn of pre-season testing pace and the Melbourne podium I didn't expect them to be this uncompetitive and bland.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Meatwad wrote:
BigG80 wrote:The Race Director deserves a mention for the lingering shot of Rosberg's fiance during the last lap. Seriously? 1st and 2nd covered by less than a second and the guy in 2nd is quicker and you choose to focus on his missus? Appalling.

Klon wrote:The Monkeyman In Charge Of The World Feed - I mean, come the bathplug on, it's the final overtaking spot on the final lap and you show Rosberg's bit...burger-prefering fiancee? Are you insane, drunk or did you just need to knock out a crafty one?

If they need to include unnecessary shots of the drivers' girlfriends, why not Gutiérrez's? :(

I nominate Malfunctionado (I like that nickname). He just never learns. He must be one of the worst drivers to win a Grand Prix, if not the worst.

[Objectifyingwomenmode]My personal favourite is Sutil's girlfriend. She looks icy but has a really lovely warm smile.[/Objectifyingwomenmode]

I'm not sure I understand why people always nominate the race if there isn't much action. This is F1 where the fastest car is given a clear run at the start and drivers practically trained from birth to drive the cars are behind the wheel. And even before these days of high professionalism, the fact is that many F1 races are processions as overtaking is a difficult thing to do on a road course.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BigG80 wrote:I'm not sure I understand why people always nominate the race if there isn't much action. This is F1 where the fastest car is given a clear run at the start and drivers practically trained from birth to drive the cars are behind the wheel. And even before these days of high professionalism, the fact is that many F1 races are processions as overtaking is a difficult thing to do on a road course.

Tell me about it. Seems to be a more common complaint on here aswell of all places, I'd expect it on the other normal (i.e. tediously fanboyist) F1 forums :roll: I saw plenty yesterday to enjoy and I feel condescendingly bad for those that didnt.
Just For One Day...
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I certainly don't mind a slow burner like yesterday where the tension of the two strategies coming together at the end started gradually ratcheting up and up towards the end. I also saw some stunning overtakes, mainly from Vettel and also drivers struggling to drive the cars. All good stuff to me.

If every race was like Bahrain this year or Canada for most of the last few years then those races would lose the magic, breathless excitement that they hold. You need "boring" races to make the "exciting" races exciting. This is how emotions work!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Maldonado, Sauber and McLaren poor performances are too normal now for me to award ROTR (though ROTY they are all strong contenders)

I am going to go something different and say The Red Bull mechanic\engineer who told Riccardo to back off from Bottas after just 6 laps or so into the race to "save his tyres." Although this problem is not just a Red Bull thing, it sums up why I find F1 these days rather boring as with the people in the pits dictating pace it feels like drivers are just cogs in scaletrix cars

To Riccardo's credit, he by and large ignored it.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.