The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
midgrid

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by midgrid »

In the FFords, Sam Brabham was also driving with a livery reminiscent of his father's Brabham BT59:

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That is... one of the most hideous lower-formulae cars I've ever seen. Not because of the livery, it's the shape of everything else. Are the people who designed the Ford Focus responsible for this?

Also: the Brabham family website's profile of Gary has left out a certain part of his F1 career. Can anyone guess what it is without looking?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Not Touring Cars (although they did have a class named "Touring Cars") but I thought I'd better share some of the more unusual pics of the British Rallycross meet at Lydden Hill.

A Belgian Citroen DS3 that won its race despite a broken door.

Yep, that's a Volvo 480. Surprisingly quick.

Buggys.

Volvo 242 which some entertaining body lean issues.

A stupidly quick BMW Z4. Blew away everything in its class.

Vince Bristow in his BMW 328, in which he insisted on powersliding around the hairpin every single lap. Even the slow down laps. The other car is a Toyota MR2.

Audi TT, complete with diesel smoke that must have narked off the other competitors a lot.

Renault Clio that went through a whole race with its front left locked up. Oh no, they don't retire in rallycross unless the car actually can't move.

Some bloke called Phil Chicken. Comedy gold.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:That is... one of the most hideous lower-formulae cars I've ever seen. Not because of the livery, it's the shape of everything else. Are the people who designed the Ford Focus responsible for this?

Also: the Brabham family website's profile of Gary has left out a certain part of his F1 career. Can anyone guess what it is without looking?

This is now the second year of FFord being a slicks-and-wings category, looking like that. Not great, but not bad racing. And is his Life that they left out?
watka wrote:Image
Buggys.

Is this the same kind of buggy that is used at the annual Race of Champions that didn't happen last year in Thailand?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:Is this the same kind of buggy that is used at the annual Race of Champions that didn't happen last year in Thailand?

No, not quite. These were RX150 buggys and the ROC cars are built by a Dutch buggy exclusively for the event.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote: And is his Life that they left out?

No prizes for that one.

David Brabham's career summary, incidentally, mentions his F1 career - just not the teams he was with!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Citroen tops Morocco WTCC test.

Meanwhile things are looking ominous for people not called Muller, Loeb or Lopez in the WTCC as Citroen was a full 2 seconds faster than the best of the rest (which was Hugo Valente on a Chevrolet). Lada performed respectably obtaining 6th.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Great. As I expected, instead of boring, awful looking Chevys winning every race, we're going to get tedious ugly Citroens instead.
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

My word, WTCC is pretty dull, might watch a few BTCC races to wake myself up!
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Well, that escalated quickly. :shock:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So yeah, CITROENWINSLOL runs wild over the rest of the field. If Citroen actually allowed their drivers to duke it for position, this season might resemble BTCC in 2001. One team domination, but good racing and interest for the driver's title.

But no, can't have proper battles for the lead, that's far too much fun for Citroen. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

It might just be me, the coverage or the track but they just don't seem fast or even close to the limit! Will save my judgement after watching a few more races however.

That Citorén livery, terrible!
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Walsh_e wrote:It might just be me, the coverage or the track but they just don't seem fast or even close to the limit!

The Citroens certainly weren't once they built a gap - at once point during race 1 they'd backed off four whole seconds on what they were doing previously. That's just making a mockery of the whole series. No wonder Alain Menu's gone to race in the BTCC.

And I totally agree on the livery - it's very boring. Though I guess boring suits Citroen...
Everything's great.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
Walsh_e wrote:It might just be me, the coverage or the track but they just don't seem fast or even close to the limit!

The Citroens certainly weren't once they built a gap - at once point during race 1 they'd backed off four whole seconds on what they were doing previously. That's just making a mockery of the whole series. No wonder Alain Menu's gone to race in the BTCC.

And I totally agree on the livery - it's very boring. Though I guess boring suits Citroen...

I have to agree. Thr Citroën has a very boring livery, and the car isn't really that pretty either. It kinda pains me to look at it. With my okay eye anyway. The lazy eye doesn't have a problem!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

TBH the Citroen livery is not that bad, providing this is only the 1st race of the season, who knows the rest. Still found it's hard there was team order.
Looks like I'm the only one to support Citroen and Loeb back in WRC.....
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rickard Rydell's making a return to touring cars. Sadly though, he's chosen the wrong series. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:Rickard Rydell's making a return to touring cars. Sadly though, he's chosen the wrong series. :|

No Rickard, come back to BTCC and driver something that's basically a massive box on wheels pleaseeeeeeeeeee.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

First BTCC race of the day was fantastic. Now, let's see how pathetic the first WTCC race of the day is. :P
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

East Londoner wrote:First BTCC race of the day was fantastic. Now, let's see how pathetic the first WTCC race of the day is. :P

The Citröen is that superior to the rest that even with their penalties, Loeb finished 2nd and Maria López 4th. And Muller obviously won, even after a horrible start.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Citrön are really fast. Lopez just took everyone to school by winning race 2 from starting freaking last.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So, Race 2 at Donington was insane. How Menu didn't get T-boned at Starkeys will be a mystery for the ages. Reportedly, James Cole's Toyota is a write-off after his crash with Robb Holland.

The end of Race 3 was fantastic, Sheds demolishing Turkington's lead in just three laps, and the fight for the lead for the last half a lap getting pretty heated. That move at the chicane is already a talking point. WSR are appealing the results. I reckon Andy Jordan would have been up there fighting for the win as well. That is, if Plato hadn't been a twat at Redgate on the first lap... :evil:
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:So, Race 2 at Donington was insane. How Menu didn't get T-boned at Starkeys will be a mystery for the ages. Reportedly, James Cole's Toyota is a write-off after his crash with Robb Holland.

The end of Race 3 was fantastic, Sheds demolishing Turkington's lead in just three laps, and the fight for the lead for the last half a lap getting pretty heated. That move at the chicane is already a talking point. WSR are appealing the results. I reckon Andy Jordan would have been up there fighting for the win as well. That is, if Plato hadn't been a twat at Redgate on the first lap... :evil:

I missed the second race because of the F1 rerun on BBC and I missed the last 10 laps of the third race because I was having dinner.
Sods law, isn't it? :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

East Londoner wrote:So, Race 2 at Donington was insane. How Menu didn't get T-boned at Starkeys will be a mystery for the ages. Reportedly, James Cole's Toyota is a write-off after his crash with Robb Holland.

I'd say it is, given that Cole lost at least two doors and one wheel in the crash :P Nice to see the Passats looking quick, and also good to see Tordoff winning.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

That smash in R2 happened right where I was standing, and I don't care how strong these cars are - James Cole will probably still be aching now after that one!

Real shame that Holland's S3 was wrecked as well, one of the best looking cars on the grid. The support highlights were the Clios - super close as always - and Josh Webster's inspired tactical drive in the Porsches while everyone else was spinning everywhere.
Forza Forti
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sadly, Robb Holland won't be racing this weekend, lack of spare parts.

But incredibly, United Autosports have managed to build a brand new Toyota Avensis for James Cole, and he WILL be out there racing at Thruxton. :o

Edit: Reading the latest issue of Autosport, there's only gonna be 11 Clios on the grid at Thruxton this weekend, as JHR have pretty much ragequit the series.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

There has been a big crash at turn 2 involving one of the BMR racing cars but from where I am at turn 1, I can't tell who it was. The car is most probably not going to make qualifying.

Edit: turns out it was Alan Menu who's car got wrecked.
Edit 2: it must be Smith because Menu is on track right now.
Last edited by roblo97 on 03 May 2014, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

First practice for DTM today, and Mercedes is already on the fast track to ROTR. Marco Wittman is fastest from Miguel Molina.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

WTCC is in Hungary this weekend. And it seems that the Honda has, well, sort of, has managed to be much closer to Citröen. Tarquini actually was faster than the Citröen in Q2, but in Q3, even though the gap to the best non-Citröen, Monteiro, was pretty much 0.5 seconds.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

So a quick update...
Aron Smith isn't on track yet because his team still haven't repared the damage from the practice session this morning.
Plato got baulked by Stockton.
Adam Morgan is using a lot of kerb where I am at turn 1.
Update 1: Aron smith has just come out of the pits only for one of his brakelights to fall off
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

CITROENWINSLOL is over! Great effort by Morbidelli to win Race 2 at the Hungaroring, and Tommy Coronel holding off Muller and Lopez for 4th! :mrgreen:

Christ, the WTCC lead commentator is bloody awful, constantly saying Munnich Motorsport have never won in WTCC. Well, what was Huffy doing last year in a geriatric SEAT? :|
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Nick Foster has just had a big shunt at Church, thankfully he is ok.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So that's three massive crashes at Church corner today. Thank heavens Simon Belcher and Ollie Jackson are alright. Two cars probably written off. :|
andrew

Post by andrew »

Surely a penealty for Shedden for overtaking over yellow flags and at least am investigation for Jackson, Gawd those yusa cars in race 3, driving into poor old collard
takagi_for_the_win

andrew wrote:Surely a penealty for Shedden for overtaking over yellow flags and at least am investigation for Jackson, Gawd those yusa cars in race 3, driving into poor old collard

To be fair, I think Collard got more than a fair bit of revenge on Neal on the last lap :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
andrew

Post by andrew »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
andrew wrote:Surely a penealty for Shedden for overtaking over yellow flags and at least am investigation for Jackson, Gawd those yusa cars in race 3, driving into poor old collard

To be fair, I think Collard got more than a fair bit of revenge on Neal on the last lap :P

By the looks of it Neal moved over on collard causing the initial nudge, then collard thaught I'm not taking this crap and treated the complex like it was a straight line
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew wrote:at least am investigation for Jackson

Nope. There was a green flag right after Church.

andrew wrote:Gawd those yusa cars in race 3, driving into poor old collard

Well, maybe Collard should check his mirrors once in a while and stop being such a baby, it's hardly Matt Neal's fault if Collard tries to take himself off on Neal's front bumper.
Everything's great.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Salamander wrote:
andrew wrote:at least am investigation for Jackson

Nope. There was a green flag right after Church.

andrew wrote:Gawd those yusa cars in race 3, driving into poor old collard

Well, maybe Collard should check his mirrors once in a while and stop being such a baby, it's hardly Matt Neal's fault if Collard tries to take himself off on Neal's front bumper.

Ahh I wrote this before jacksons interview, it's not so much Neal that drove into collard, it was more Shedden
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew wrote:Ahh I wrote this before jacksons interview, it's not so much Neal that drove into collard, it was more Shedden

It doesn't excuse Collard from acting like a toddler throwing a tantrum and taking himself and Neal off. That was completely ridiculous.
Everything's great.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hmmm, I'll have to see the incident again to see if the contact on breaking caused anything, collard did drive into morgan on the 1st lap which caused platos retirement who was the innocent party (for once). Though that may have just been caused by first lap bunching.

Edit, this may be a bit harsh, but surely foster should be higher up, his teamate is leading the bleeding championship in arguabley the best car
takagi_for_the_win

andrew wrote:Ahh I wrote this before jacksons interview, it's not so much Neal that drove into collard, it was more Shedden

From how I saw it, Collard took Neal off because of the small tap Neal gave him literally 10 seconds before the contretemps. It was certainly immature from Collard, but I found it très amusant.
TORA! TORA! TORA!