2014 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
sswishbone wrote:WTF? red flag!!! WHY!?!?!

Due to the collision but why red flag? Was it because Alonso was driving a broken car around?

Debris on track possibly.

I believe that's exactly why the red was thrown.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

OMG GUYS VETTELS ON THE FRONT ROW F1 IS RUINED!!!!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:OMG GUYS VETTELS ON THE FRONT ROW F1 IS RUINED!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, people should stop frigging about trying to change the noise levels and get this mess sorted NOW!!
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:OMG GUYS VETTELS ON THE FRONT ROW F1 IS RUINED!!!!

He might break down again tomorrow, or Red Bull have been fiddling with their fuel flow rates again... But if he takes the points lead after this race and stays there like last year then, yeah. What you said.

EDIT: What could ruin F1 even more, however, is that Bottas has picked up 2 penalty points and of he scores 10 more (hopefully 0!) he'll be given a one-race suspension.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Intellicast says that there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms at the start of the race. It also says that at 5, it's 80%, and at 6, it is 60%. Not looking too good for a dry race. Which sucks, as I wanted to see a proper attrition race in the heat.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

good_Ralf wrote:Bottas now has a 3-place grid penalty for blocking Ricciardo. That's yet another poor piece of driving from the Finn this year, after the tap with the wall in Albert Park.

I disagree. I thought he'd left him plenty of room. It's not like they're driving at bloody Monaco!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:Intellicast says that there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms at the start of the race. It also says that at 5, it's 80%, and at 6, it is 60%. Not looking too good for a dry race. Which sucks, as I wanted to see a proper attrition race in the heat.

Now it's time for the "it's an F1 weather forecast, so don't trust it" joke. It's a weather forecast for an F1 race, so don't trust it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Barbazza wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Bottas now has a 3-place grid penalty for blocking Ricciardo. That's yet another poor piece of driving from the Finn this year, after the tap with the wall in Albert Park.

I disagree. I thought he'd left him plenty of room. It's not like they're driving at bloody Monaco!

Exactly.

I'm not even 100% sure what the "blocking" was. At the end of one of Ricciardo's hotlaps he was side-by-side with Bottas, but there was over a car's width between them, and once Bottas got ahead and started impeding Ricciardo's view, Ricciardo was no longer on a hotlap and on an inlap instead.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

I'm not sure whether it was poor driving or a by-product of Bottas' bloody-mindedness in staying out on clearly unsuitable inters - either way, it wasn't his finest moment. I was actually expecting an impulsive moment by Bottas to catch up with him during the race rather than Q3.

Salamander wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Sad to see both Williams eliminated in Q2. They just can't seem to get the best out of that car and I fear that by the time they do, they'll have lost ground (a lot of it) to their rivals. In other words, wasting a great opportunity, which may not appear again for a long time.

It's called their car sucks in the wet.

It certainly looks like a handful in the wet and less impressive in qualifying, but I am not sure that it would be too far behind the McLaren if Williams hadn't messed around with inters for so long. Interesting to see if the Williams are that much slower over a race. Overall, a bit disappointing for this Williams bandwagon member, but hopefully the FW36 can exploit the conditions in the next few races - until about Monaco.

On the plus side, Hulkenberg looked quietly impressive.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:James Allen has just said the Life W12 is his fave engine ever!! OMG!!

His description of the noise was fantastic too - "imagine filling a dustbin with nuts and bolts and then kicking it down the stairs"...

"This content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later."

That's what I've been doing for the last two days, BBC. Why is it that the only time I need to access a radio broadcast after it's gone, it's the one that steadfastly fails to work - and over three browsers and two operating systems?

There's a GMIF1P in there and it must not be wasted!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Red Bull seem to be putting reliability to one side and concentrating on pace. Difficult to know the full picture but they seem to have caught up with the top end of the pack pretty quickly following their testing woes. Sort of hoping for a day race to see where Vettel stands with this car compared to the Mercedes. Alternatively, utter chaos would also be appreciated :D

However, let's put all this motor racing malarkey aside for the moment because THIS IS THE BIG NEWS IN FORMULA 1 RIGHT NOW
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

watka wrote:However, let's put all this motor racing malarkey aside for the moment because THIS IS THE BIG NEWS IN FORMULA 1 RIGHT NOW

Blimey, he's punching above his weight isn't he?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia wrote:
watka wrote:However, let's put all this motor racing malarkey aside for the moment because THIS IS THE BIG NEWS IN FORMULA 1 RIGHT NOW

Blimey, he's punching above his weight isn't he?

How could Geri resist this? :P

Phwoooaaarrrrr!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

dinizintheoven wrote:
mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:James Allen has just said the Life W12 is his fave engine ever!! OMG!!

His description of the noise was fantastic too - "imagine filling a dustbin with nuts and bolts and then kicking it down the stairs"...

"This content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later."

That's what I've been doing for the last two days, BBC. Why is it that the only time I need to access a radio broadcast after it's gone, it's the one that steadfastly fails to work - and over three browsers and two operating systems?

There's a GMIF1P in there and it must not be wasted!

Free Practice 2 actually used James Allen and Alan McNish so go on iplayer for the video version
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:
Salamander wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Sad to see both Williams eliminated in Q2. They just can't seem to get the best out of that car and I fear that by the time they do, they'll have lost ground (a lot of it) to their rivals. In other words, wasting a great opportunity, which may not appear again for a long time.

It's called their car sucks in the wet.

It certainly looks like a handful in the wet and less impressive in qualifying, but I am not sure that it would be too far behind the McLaren if Williams hadn't messed around with inters for so long. Interesting to see if the Williams are that much slower over a race. Overall, a bit disappointing for this Williams bandwagon member, but hopefully the FW36 can exploit the conditions in the next few races - until about Monaco.

On the plus side, Hulkenberg looked quietly impressive.

They have admitted that they really don't have a well developed wet weather engine map, which seems to explain at least part of their issues in wet conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

'If you wanna be her lover, you gotta get with FIA
Make it last forever, fuel flow never ends'
-*:-
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

And Perez is not going :(
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Raikkonen's tyre is flat....Vergne is in...and a Marussia in
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Did you enjoy Ricciardo's start, Seb?
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Maldonado and Bianchi tangled at start....Pastor really takes it with him doesn't he.Like a mix of Grouillard and de Crasheris
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

I will be very surprised if Kimi Gets any points today- The time it took him to get him to the pits for a new tyre....
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

...and the collision with Magnussen is being investigated
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

exit Bianchi and Maldonado it looks like....
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

You bathplug serious? A stop and go? You're an idiot Martin Donnelly.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The sky is very dark now to the east of T7.
S951

Post by S951 »

Koba running quite high up

edit - was but still running
Last edited by S951 on 30 Mar 2014, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Ooh, fuel usage percentage graphic. Interesting.

Agree that the penalty for K-Mag takes F1 to a new level of nanny-statehood.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

...and Hulkenberg leads...and now Hamilton does
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kimi is still stuck behind Ericsson. He's stopped caring again. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

The real race starts when they all switch to primes.

Renault are so lucky Monza and Spa aren't up next.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

....and Ricciardo's fuel flow sensor has stopped working :D
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Ericsson and Chilton close on track. The hairdo battle is in full swing!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kimi, you've just been lapped, and you're STILL behind Ericsson. Please, give your seat up to Grosjean or Chilton, they deserve it so much more.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

East Londoner wrote:Kimi, you've just been lapped, and you're STILL behind Ericsson. Please, give your seat up to Grosjean or Chilton, they deserve it so much more.

Seconded. Pathetic.

I miss Robert Kubica.
S951

Post by S951 »

Koba is actually running quite well which is good news for caterham
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

At work, so following on the monitors with no sound... Did Kobayashi just pass Grosjean for 12th????

Has he stopped yet?
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Vettel in-Rosberg in-rain may be on the way
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Would conspiracy theorists suggest that putting Ricciardo on primes whilst putting Vettel on options is a way of ensuring Dan is no threat, in the name of shadowing Alonso's strategy?
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

And Sutil's just stopped it on the track at the exit of the last corner... bring on the marshals...quickly
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

eytl wrote:Ericsson and Chilton close on track. The hairdo battle is in full swing!

18 drivers are still in the race on lap 35.
16 have all sweaty and dirty hairdos by now.
2 have hairdos still smelling of shampoo, hairspray, butterflies, flowers and rainbows ----> Chilton & Ericsson's of course.