140307 Season Preview Edition

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

140307 Season Preview Edition

Post by Kuwashima »

G'day,

Well, it's one week and counting 'til the season opener in Melbourne. Time for a Season Preview podcast, and we have delivered in spades. And rambling.

We discuss JEV's work ethic, the state of play after testing, and go through each and every team with a fine tooth comb, applying our reject ratings (out of 10). We'd be keen to hear below what non teammate driver match ups you're interested in.

This podcast finishes with a delightful chat with dinizintheoven and watka, recorded back in early Feb when I popped into London en route around the world. Thanks to those guys for being part of the podcast and F1 Rejectdom!

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Jamie
dinizintheoven

Re: 140307 Season Preview Edition

Post by dinizintheoven »

A word of warning. Anyone who has ever listened to my alternative F1 Rejects podcast (Jocke1, for instance, has) - that's all scripted, in a way, so I always know exactly what I'm saying at any time and never get anything wrong.

With this... I had to make it up as I went along, i.e. when Jamie thrust his iPhone in my face and said "what do you think of..." - I'd prepared an answer, just not the words.

Hopefully you'll not all be thinking "what a complete clot!", though. I have at least had plenty of time to prepare a defence of my decisions, though I don't think I'll need to.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

dinizintheoven wrote:With this... I had to make it up as I went along, i.e. when Jamie thrust his iPhone in my face and said "what do you think of..." - I'd prepared an answer, just not the words.

That's what "editing" is for!! You lads did a great job, and I hope you enjoyed winging it...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And now, having listened to it: it's worked better than I thought. And that's a good job, because the backup recording I made of the interview died in a bizarre hard drive accident - certain bits of the hard drive on my near-indestructible iRiver H340 have gone against type and eaten themselves, one of which had that recording on it.

As for editing, I notice there has been a massive edit in the interview, which only the three of us there at the time will know about... and the version of Hail To The Hammer at the end of our guest section is the 2002 version with the long-lost Pól Arni Holm on vocals.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Fantastic podcast! I enjoyed listening to the reject points scale as the season predictions. Looking forward to the Australian GP edition!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Great podcast guys. Made me wish that I had been able to make it to the London meet-up, but alas it was not to be... But if I had been, my answers to the questions would have probably been Anthony Davidson, MasterCard Lola and Vettel/Red Bull!

And your debate about Grands Prix being awarded to countries rich in oil: does that explain why Italy has always been on the calendar, with their olive oil supplies? Plus Britain, with their consumption of sunflower and vegetable oils in their fried cuisine (particularly north of the border in Scotland)?

EDIT: Forgot about non-teammate driver drive-offs. In terms of my car numbers alternative championship, I see the season being a battle between Lewis Hamilton and Valterri Bottas - I personally will find that fascinating, between a compatriot and a driver for my favourite team. And another battle that will be harder to judge - I know that Susie Wolff will have two free practice sessions for Williams, but not sure that Simona di Silvestro will for Sauber. But if she does, it'll be interesting to see how competitive they'll be, in terms of position in their sessions, and percentage from fastest times...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jamie:
But anyway, ahh.. we're off topic here..
Enoch:
Oh gee, that's a surprise.

and Hail to the Hammer !
\m/
-*:-
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Thanks for letting me be involved! Great podcast!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:Thanks for letting me be involved! Great podcast!

So, you are still grateful despite proposing Kobayashi for RotY? BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!! ;)

C'mon, you were already expecting some backlash! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:
watka wrote:Thanks for letting me be involved! Great podcast!

So, you are still grateful despite proposing Kobayashi for RotY? BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!! ;)

C'mon, you were already expecting some backlash! :lol:

This is F1 Rejects. Ericsson is more of a reject than Kobayashi. I'M SUPPORTING THE UNDERDOG!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

watka wrote: I'M SUPPORTING THE UNDERDOG!

hear hear !
-*:-
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:
This is F1 Rejects. Ericsson is more of a reject than Kobayashi. I'M SUPPORTING THE UNDERDOG!

Yes. It is F1 Rejects, but Kamui did receive honorary membership in our club and our hearts due to his awesomeness, something that Ericsson will still have to do. Being blond is far from being good enough for me! ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:
watka wrote:

Yes. It is F1 Rejects, but Kamui did receive honorary membership in our club and our hearts due to his awesomeness, something that Ericsson will still have to do. Being blond is far from being good enough for me! ;)

Seriously though, I have no hate for Kobayashi. He walked away from a paid Ferrari job so there's no doubting that he'll put in the same amount of effort as he always has. I was merely playing devil's advocate - suggesting something that might just happen, but I wouldn't expect to happen.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
watka wrote:

Seriously though, I have no hate for Kobayashi. He walked away from a paid Ferrari job so there's no doubting that he'll put in the same amount of effort as he always has. I was merely playing devil's advocate - suggesting something that might just happen, but I wouldn't expect to happen.

As you are probably aware, I was messing with you. In fact, I can see your point and it is certainly possible it could happen although I reckon it is unlikely. Early signs are that Caterham might be uncompetitive at least when it comes to performance even when compared to Marussia. That means Kobayashi and Ericsson could be very often relegated to the back row regardless of their performance and at most to battle each other. This would place, in my view, Caterham as favourites for RotY ahead of their drivers, specially if Marussia goes on to do well. The only way would be for Kamui to receive a thrashing from Ericsson and the latter achieving some landmark results in the process. I hope this doesn't happen, of course! :)
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Jeez its been years since I posted on here. I've very briefly returned to say that as an F1 Rejects fan who likes his metal music (but who is also a bit uneducated on Scandinavian metal), The Hammer of Retribution Ogg-Cast sounds like something I should start listening to! Cheers!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Good news, Tealy!

Not only am I uploading a new episode right now, but it starts with a band from your hometown. And yes, it is the band you think it is.