2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Smedley to Williams (but not as Massa's radio engineer) :)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Just before we lay the Susie Wolff topic to rest, I thought I'd share part of Orange's F1 page's report on the story :

The 31-year-old Scot has played an integral part in the development of the last three Williams cars, including the FW36 that will take to the track in Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix in less than three weeks' time.

Er ...
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

wsrgo wrote:Interlude...

Beitske Visser to test for AV Formula in Formula Renault 3.5 pre-season testing today.

That's one female driver who could make it to F1 on talent alone.

I really hope, she can make her way to F1, especially now that her fruitless Red-Bull-Intermezzo is over and done. :)
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

I'm wondering, if one of the Williams drivers gets injured during Silverstone FP2, would Suzie be allowed to qualify and race??
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

LeytonHouse wrote:I'm wondering, if one of the Williams drivers gets injured during Silverstone FP2, would Suzie be allowed to qualify and race??

I am guessing that Felipe Nasr would be there too despite not participating in FPs. And would probably get the nod too...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

LeytonHouse wrote:I'm wondering, if one of the Williams drivers gets injured during Silverstone FP2, would Suzie be allowed to qualify and race??

No, Nasr is their reserve driver. According to his uncle and manager Amir Nasr, Felipe Nasr will be present at all Grand Prix weekends, and the first choice as a replacement in case one of the Williams drivers is not able to race.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

Ah ok, makes sense.
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

good_Ralf wrote:Rob Smedley to Williams (but not as Massa's radio engineer) :)

Least surprising news of the year so far! Obviously makes sense not to rattle Massa with a new race engineer, could you imagine him working with the humourless Guillaume Roquelin?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

pi314159 wrote:

No, Nasr is their reserve driver. According to his uncle and manager Amir Nasr, Felipe Nasr will be present at all Grand Prix weekends, and the first choice as a replacement in case one of the Williams drivers is not able to race.

If he's doing GP2 he'll be at all Grand Prix weekends as a GP2 driver. Given how little teams have liked to use rookie drivers as replacements in recent years (Heikki Kovalainen at Enstone 2013 over Davide Valsecchi, Pedro de la Rosa at Sauber 2011 over Esteban Gutiérrez) I wouldn't be too surprised if Williams used a non-contracted driver such as Paul di Resta. Unless Nasr's contract does specify that Williams have to use him in the event of the unavailability of Valtteri Bottas or Felipe Massa.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Backmarker wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if Williams used a non-contracted driver such as Luca Badoer.

correctedededed.
-*:-
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

From here:http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8694/
Teams may use up to four drivers during a season, all of whom may score points in the championship. A driver change may be made with the permission of the stewards any time before the start of qualifying. The new driver must use the engine and tyres allocated to the original driver.

If she has a Superlicence, then the answer is yes. In reality, it'd depend on whether or not Williams fell she'd be competitive enough compared to Nasr, and their expected pace.
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

If he's doing GP2 he'll be at all Grand Prix weekends as a GP2 driver. Given how little teams have liked to use rookie drivers as replacements in recent years (Heikki Kovalainen at Enstone 2013 over Davide Valsecchi, Pedro de la Rosa at Sauber 2011 over Esteban Gutiérrez) I wouldn't be too surprised if Williams used a non-contracted driver such as Paul di Resta. Unless Nasr's contract does specify that Williams have to use him in the event of the unavailability of Valtteri Bottas or Felipe Massa.

Given that Williams are planning to hand over five Friday morning practise sessions to Nasr, as well as letting him participate in three of the mid season testing sessions (plus he also drove for a day in the first Bahrain test session), it would suggest that they are putting a reasonable amount of effort into training him up. It's a similar approach to what they did with Bottas, and Bottas was the nominated reserve driver for Williams in 2012 when he was driving in the practise sessions, so I expect that Williams would perhaps be more willing to gamble on putting Bottas into the seat if the situation arose.

It'd probably also depend on how long the driver in question was expected to be out of action for, as well as how much of a lead up Williams had to find a replacement. It could be a bit like when Badoer drove for Ferrari in 2009, and Nasr might be called up as a short term replacement whilst the team negotiated terms for a longer term replacement.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Here's a thought...

Could we end up in the interesting situation of Bottas moving on in 2015, to be replaced by Nasr so Williams would have a line-up of two drivers with almost identical names, in an attempted imitation of an early 90s Ligier with Japanese commentators all simultaneously face-palming at the prospect of dealing with another teammate pronunciation headache? :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

AndreaModa wrote:Here's a thought...

Could we end up in the interesting situation of Bottas moving on in 2015, to be replaced by Nasr so Williams would have a line-up of two drivers with almost identical names, in an attempted imitation of an early 90s Ligier with Japanese commentators all simultaneously face-palming at the prospect of dealing with another teammate pronunciation headache? :lol:

Only if Bottas goes to a better team such as Sauber. :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Aerospeed wrote:

I don't see your point.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

IIRC, that was Mark Blundell and Martin Brundle!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:

I don't see your point.

Well, Bottas goes to a more consistent team (since Williams seem to have a roller-coaster development, given their good 2010, their crappy 2011, their good 2012, and their crappy 2013), and Andrea's theory on having Nasr and Massa race together on Williams...

Plus Bottas has the potential of having F1 experience and having shown pace. His debut season was masked by the inconsistency of the car.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
UncreativeUsername37

Aerospeed wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I don't see your point.

Well, Bottas goes to a more consistent team (since Williams seem to have a roller-coaster development, given their good 2010, their crappy 2011, their good 2012, and their crappy 2013), and Andrea's theory on having Nasr and Massa race together on Williams...

Plus Bottas has the potential of having F1 experience and having shown pace. His debut season was masked by the inconsistency of the car.

Not about Sauber being better or worse than Williams, just that you seemed to be saying the situation that'll only happen if Bottas moves... will only happen if Bottas moves. I couldn't tell what you were trying to add.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

watka wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Rob Smedley to Williams (but not as Massa's radio engineer) :)

Least surprising news of the year so far! Obviously makes sense not to rattle Massa with a new race engineer, could you imagine Smedley working with the humourless Kimi Raikkonen?

Fixed.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Various sites are reporting a possible return for Cosworth in 2015, potentially with Ford Ecoboost.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

roblomas52 wrote:

Yes, it was. The problem was exaggerated by the Japanese pronunciation of "r" and "l"
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

andrew2209 wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Yes, it was. The problem was exaggerated by the Japanese pronunciation of "r" and "l"

Oh look! The Blunder brothers!! :lol:
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Samster

Post by Samster »

andrew2209 wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Made even worse when they were both at Brabham. '''Blundell and Blundle at Blabham'' :lol:
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Samster wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:IIRC, that was Mark Blundell and Martin Brundle!

Made even worse when they were both at Brabham. '''Blundell and Blundle at Blabham'' :lol:

I remember reading that in Martin's biography, Working The Wheel.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I always thought it was the other way around, that Japanese struggle with the letter "l".

So Blundell and Brundle would be BrundEW and BrUNdew (caps for emphasis on the different vowel).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Guess what!
The BBC wrote:Formula 1's bosses decide against extending the controversial double points scheme to the final three races of the season. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone wanted to extend the double points scheme from just the final race of the season. But after a meeting of the strategy group - which comprises Ecclestone, FIA president Jean Todt and six of the teams - the proposal was rejected.

The meeting also decided to make no changes to the engine homologation rules after some of the teams supplied by Renault raised the idea of amendments. Full story coming soon.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

good_Ralf wrote:Guess what!
The BBC wrote:Formula 1's bosses decide against extending the controversial double points scheme to the final three races of the season. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone wanted to extend the double points scheme from just the final race of the season. But after a meeting of the strategy group - which comprises Ecclestone, FIA president Jean Todt and six of the teams - the proposal was rejected.

The meeting also decided to make no changes to the engine homologation rules after some of the teams supplied by Renault raised the idea of amendments. Full story coming soon.

I am not surprised one bit by this latest decision because it seems the teams have actually listened to what the fans want!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112707

I don't know, 50-50 on this one. It's nowhere near as bad as double points though.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112707

I don't know, 50-50 on this one. It's nowhere near as bad as double points though.

I think they are reasonable suggestions. I think qualifying, even more so than the race, should be about pure speed, so the closer we can get to that (i.e. fresh rubber and running on fumes) the better.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:

I think they are reasonable suggestions. I think qualifying, even more so than the race, should be about pure speed, so the closer we can get to that (i.e. fresh rubber and running on fumes) the better.

I just wish they did away with starting on X tyres and just gave them qualifying tyres. Here, 15,000 rpm, qualifying tyres, and let's go. Sure, more expensive for Pirelli, but I'd like to see it hapoen.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:

It is not all wrong coming from the FIA there. They had to stop the farce that was Q3, as we were having with always two or three, sometimes half of the drivers not bothering to post a time or posting a time in an harder compound just to make sure they started the race in that compound. One extra tyre assures people will go out at least once. About the Q2 starting tyre thing, I think that renders the rule mute. It was supposed to allow more flexibility to drivers beyond top 10 when choosing their strategy. That way they allowed the chance to threaten top-10 guys in the race. While this still presents an advantage to those beyond top-18, the truth is that, for points scoring position, I am afraid that it is a bit irrelevant.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DanielPT wrote:
watka wrote:

It is not all wrong coming from the FIA there. They had to stop the farce that was Q3, as we were having with always two or three, sometimes half of the drivers not bothering to post a time or posting a time in an harder compound just to make sure they started the race in that compound. One extra tyre assures people will go out at least once. About the Q2 starting tyre thing, I think that renders the rule mute. It was supposed to allow more flexibility to drivers beyond top 10 when choosing their strategy. That way they allowed the chance to threaten top-10 guys in the race. While this still presents an advantage to those beyond top-18, the truth is that, for points scoring position, I am afraid that it is a bit irrelevant.

I thought it was only the top 10 that started on Q2 tyres?

If not, and the top 17 have to start on Q2 tyres, they may as well scrap the rule alltogether for reasons you've pointed out.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

go_Rubens wrote:
I thought it was only the top 10 that started on Q2 tyres?

If not, and the top 17 have to start on Q2 tyres, they may as well scrap the rule alltogether for reasons you've pointed out.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I missed that in the text from Autosport. Eurosport says that it is like you said. I then backtrack all I said about it. And I fully agree with this review of qualifying.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

roblomas52 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Guess what!

I am not surprised one bit by this latest decision because it seems the teams have actually listened to what the fans want!

Not really, if they were listening to what the fans want, there wouldn't be any double points at all.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Breaking news
Sauber's female driver to make F1 test debut

Simona de Silvestro will drive a few-year-old Ferrari at the Italian marque's Fiorano test track.
Added: 9 hours ago

Apr.11 (GMM) Simona de Silvestro will shortly make her Formula One test debut.
The 25-year-old female Swiss driver, best known for her Indycar exploits, recently became "affiliated" with the Ferrari-powered Sauber team.
It emerged early this week that she underwent a seat fitting at Sauber's Hinwil factory, and Speed Week now reports that she will make her test debut at the end of this month.
The report said de Silvestro will drive a few-year-old Ferrari at the Italian marque's Fiorano test track.
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jocke1 wrote:
Breaking news

Simona de Silvestro will drive a few-year-old Ferrari at the Italian marque's Fiorano test track.

The 25-year-old female Swiss driver, best known for her Indycar exploits, recently became "affiliated" with the Ferrari-powered Sauber team.
It emerged early this week that she underwent a seat fitting at Sauber's Hinwil factory, and Speed Week now reports that she will make her test debut at the end of this month.
The report said de Silvestro will drive a few-year-old Ferrari at the Italian marque's Fiorano test track.

I am not sad or disappointed by this. One more step along the world she goes...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

CoopsII wrote:
Ross Prawn wrote:I'd be interested in a double points last GP, if the grid was formed up in reverse championship order. That might be fun.

Shush damn you! Bernie's probably got his own PRISM program sifting through these threads for ideas as we speak.

In fact, if you have the time, I'm sure this double-points-for-the-last-race-because-we-want-to-look-like-knobheads idea could be found archived somewhere. I'm sure the Hemogoblin came up with it (god rest his/her internet soul).

I finally found it! Remember? The 2012 F1RWRS Indy 500 was worth double points!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3654&p=85731#p85731
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
Ross Prawn wrote:I'd be interested in a double points last GP, if the grid was formed up in reverse championship order. That might be fun.

Shush damn you! Bernie's probably got his own PRISM program sifting through these threads for ideas as we speak.

In fact, if you have the time, I'm sure this double-points-for-the-last-race-because-we-want-to-look-like-knobheads idea could be found archived somewhere. I'm sure the Hemogoblin came up with it (god rest his/her internet soul).

I finally found it! Remember? The 2012 F1RWRS Indy 500 was worth double points!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3654&p=85731#p85731

......This year's Indycar triple crown races are worth double points, because the races are longer... :?

If F1 wants double points they should make the race longer like to 500 km

But I don't want it on Abu Dhabi, I'm fine if the 500-km-double-points are held on Interlagos :(
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:
Breaking news

I am not sad or disappointed by this. One more step along the world she goes...

Well, it is a positive step as it looks like Sauber are hoping she can earn a superlicence through testing a recent car (I believe that they went down a similar route for Sirotkin). However, given that Sauber are currently in very poor form right now, actually getting to drive one of Sauber's cars could prove to be something of a poisoned chalice - it is going to be hard to stand out and easy to look like a poor driver.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mario wrote:However, given that Sauber are currently in very poor form right now, actually getting to drive one of Sauber's cars could prove to be something of a poisoned chalice - it is going to be hard to stand out and easy to look like a poor driver.

That is why her target should be to finish ahead one or two third drivers. If she can keep herself in front of Caterham and Marussia, that'd be mission complete.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water