What If?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Hound55

Re: What If?

Post by Hound55 »

Dark77 wrote:What if Nigel Mansell moved to NASCAR rather than Indycar?

I don't think he would have done very well. There is just such a massive difference between the weight and braking of an open-wheeler and a stock car that it would have taken him at least a year to figure it out, and then some. I don't know how well he did in touring cars during those one offs, but it'd be similar to his performance there, only worse. NASCAR is the United States biggest talent pool, so I think he would have struggled.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hound55 wrote:
Dark77 wrote:What if Nigel Mansell moved to NASCAR rather than Indycar?

I don't think he would have done very well. There is just such a massive difference between the weight and braking of an open-wheeler and a stock car that it would have taken him at least a year to figure it out, and then some. I don't know how well he did in touring cars during those one offs, but it'd be similar to his performance there, only worse. NASCAR is the United States biggest talent pool, so I think he would have struggled.

Well he did a few races for Ford in the BTCC in 1998, and spent most of them crashing or being well off the pace, apart from the famous Donington race, where in typical Mansell fashion, he forced his way through to the lead (which cost Anthony Reid the championship in hindsight :x :x ), and then threw the car off the road with a few laps to go, finishing 5th. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F6cXtaMSIw :lol:

What if Mike Thackwell held off his debut in F1 until the mid-1980s, considering the chap was a force in F2 and F3000?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
girry

Post by girry »

I've been wondering - What if F1 stopped existing altogether?

I know, it's not a realistic scenario at all, but let's say, if 2014 was to be the last season of F1, what would happen to racing after that? What would the manufacturers and drivers do, how about the classic grands prix - would the big teams soon establish something F1-esque, and if not, where would they go? Formula E would be the most logical choice to continue F1-styled racing, but are electric cars still too small a niche to make it popular? WEC would most likely appeal to manufacturers - at least Ferrari and Mercedes - given the similarities with F1 in car development and all that, but could sportscar/endurance racing ever be appealing enough to be a TV sport? NASCAR would be left as the only 'major' series in the world, likely the sure paychecks there would lure in a few drivers. Indycar already attracts drivers from Europe, and if it played its cards right, it could take F1's place in Europe - but would that happen, given it's Indycar we're speaking of? A couple of drivers would surely try something like MotoGP or WRC, too.

anyone with a better imagination?
when you're dead people start listening
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

My guess is that Ferrari would start a breakaway series like they've threatened from time to time. Whether they'd get the teams following them would remain to be seen, because I'm sure the regulations would be designed to suit Ferrari and no one else!

I'd actually support that, because on the hypothetical calendars they generally include Adelaide :D
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

giraurd wrote:I've been wondering - What if F1 stopped existing altogether?

I'd give up on my degree and do something else with my life entirely...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

What of Minardi got the Ford engines for 1991 instead of the Ferrari V12s?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

What race control restarted the 2002 Australian Grand Prix after the start crash?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:What race control restarted the 2002 Australian Grand Prix after the start crash?

I twhink there would be some teams without spare cars or only one spare car for one driver, so I think there'd be a few cars out anyway, but Minardi wouldn't score any points thougn :(
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote:What of Minardi got the Ford engines for 1991 instead of the Ferrari V12s?

7th in the WCC.
-*:-
eichy

Post by eichy »

good_Ralf wrote:What race control restarted the 2002 Australian Grand Prix after the start crash?

Mark Webber fulfills the 3 race contract with Minardi and maybe hangs around a few years as a test driver (maybe gets a proper shot), then probably ends up in V8 Supercars if he can't get to Red Bull with Newey.
American
JORDAN GRAND PRIX FOREVER
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What if the TV broadcast dispute in the leadup to the 1998 French Grand Prix hadn't been resolved and the Grand Prix had to have been cancelled?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Wizzie wrote:What if the TV broadcast dispute in the leadup to the 1998 French Grand Prix hadn't been resolved and the Grand Prix had to have been cancelled?

After the Nurburgring (round 15, I mean 14...) Hakkinen would have been on 86 points and Schuey on 76 and with 7 wins to Schuey's 5, Mika would have been champion one race early. As for the race itself, Verstappen would have had to wait another chance for his Stewart debut and the no. of red-flagged GPs would have been one less. Plus the cancellation wouldn't have been good for the sport.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Wizzie wrote:What if the TV broadcast dispute in the leadup to the 1998 French Grand Prix hadn't been resolved and the Grand Prix had to have been cancelled?

Bernie might well have snuck Kylami back onto the calender for a short while.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

...in the middle of the Southern Hemisphere winter?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dinizintheoven wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:

...in the middle of the Southern Hemisphere winter?

The tyre-temperature chaos in the 2006 Australian GP was caused by a cooler climate due to the date of the race being moved forward as the Commonwealth Games were being hosted. So maybe hosting a Kyalami GP at that time of year would lead to some welcome carnage...

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

What if the FIA had kept the 3.5L engines after 1994 and what could the power outputs have been.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

I am confident that 1982 has been done to death on this thread, but I am not sure if either of these questions have been considered before:

What if John Watson had actually won the 1982 WDC - in particular, would he have had the leverage and prestige to get the money he was after out of McLaren in 1984 and deny Alain Prost the seat, or alternatively get picked up by another competitive team? What would McLaren have looked like in 1984 with another year of Lauda/Watson?

Alternatively, what if Alain Prost had won the WDC in either 1982 or 1983 and maintained a better relationship with Renault (starting with, say, Rene Arnoux obeying team orders at the 82 French GP)? Would he have been likely to move to McLaren in 1984, and if not, who would have been likely to replace Watson at McLaren instead? If Prost stayed with Renault in 1984 (as reigning WDC, perhaps), when would he have left Renault and where would he go?

In the slightly longer term, what would F1 have looked like in the mid to late 1980s if Prost had never gone to McLaren?
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:What if the FIA had kept the 3.5L engines after 1994 and what could the power outputs have been.

I thought they did keep the 3.5L engines after 1994, but only until the end of 1995. Then I think they restricted it to 3.0L.

But anyway, with that question, I think that if V12s were kept, they would have gotten closer to the 850-900bhp range. As for V10s, around the 800bhp range again, and the V8s around about 700-750bhp range (based off my impressions of power outputs in 1994 compared to 1999, and the estimated outputs being for 1999). Although there was absolutely no reason to keep the engine sizes at 3.5L anyway, unless if you wanted bulky cars going around Monaco with passing even more unlikely. So, even with the death of Senna not in mind, I don't think the 3.5L rule would have not lasted much longer anyway.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

What if Peugeot stuck with Michelin's for the 2005 WRC season instead of joining Pirelli? Bearing in mind that the Michelin's were superior?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:I am confident that 1982 has been done to death on this thread, but I am not sure if either of these questions have been considered before:

What if John Watson had actually won the 1982 WDC - in particular, would he have had the leverage and prestige to get the money he was after out of McLaren in 1984 and deny Alain Prost the seat, or alternatively get picked up by another competitive team? What would McLaren have looked like in 1984 with another year of Lauda/Watson?

Alternatively, what if Alain Prost had won the WDC in either 1982 or 1983 and maintained a better relationship with Renault (starting with, say, Rene Arnoux obeying team orders at the 82 French GP)? Would he have been likely to move to McLaren in 1984, and if not, who would have been likely to replace Watson at McLaren instead? If Prost stayed with Renault in 1984 (as reigning WDC, perhaps), when would he have left Renault and where would he go?

In the slightly longer term, what would F1 have looked like in the mid to late 1980s if Prost had never gone to McLaren?

I remember reading in Autosport when they previewed the 2004 season (and they were doing a 20 years ago retrospective) than Prost's options would have been Brabham and Lotus - this however was based on Gilles Villeneuve having not died and moving to McLaren, with him having fallen out with Ferrari. Lotus was more likely as Brabham at the time was Piquet's kingdom, and Peter Warr wanted rid of Mansell. So for the first part of that, I'm saying he would have gone to Lotus alongside De Angelis.

For the second part (Prost staying at Renault), then for McLaren (assuming Villeneuve has died in 1982 as in real life), then Watson probably stays on another year or two, then Senna goes there 2 or 3 years early when Watson or Lauda retires.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What if Didier Pironi had returned to Formula 1 with AGS?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FullMetalJack wrote:What if Didier Pironi had returned to Formula 1 with AGS?

With those awful leg injuries, he wouldn't have scored points (he would be driving a poor car as well) unless there a race of insane attrition. Panis was partly uncompetitive in 1998 because of the pins in his legs IIRC after his crash the previous year.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

good_Ralf wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:What if Didier Pironi had returned to Formula 1 with AGS?

With those awful leg injuries, he wouldn't have scored points (he would be driving a poor car as well) unless there a race of insane attrition. Panis was partly uncompetitive in 1998 because of the pins in his legs IIRC after his crash the previous year.

However, could it be said that had he returned to Formula One, he would not have been racing speedboats on spare weekends in 1987?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

tommykl wrote:However, could it be said that had he returned to Formula One, he would not have been racing speedboats on spare weekends in 1987?

He probably would have retired again and might have done speedboat racing anyway. I don't want/need to go into detail...

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What if Tony Stewart's contract with Gibbs Racing allowed him to attempt a qualifying run for the 2004 Indianapolis 500 with AJ Foyt?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

What if Marc Hynes managed to get an F1 seat in 2000/2001? Remember, he was the chap who beat Jenson Button and a whole field of future F1 Rejects/Lucky Bastards to the 1999 British Formula 3 Championship...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:What if Marc Hynes managed to get an F1 seat in 2000/2001? Remember, he was the chap who beat Jenson Button and a whole field of future F1 Rejects/Lucky Bastards to the 1999 British Formula 3 Championship...

Probably would not be entering the BTCC this year for Triple 8 having been out of motorsport for 5 years...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
More_Blue_Flags

What if Ayrton Senna had driven for Tyrrell and Martin Brundle had gone to Toleman in 1984? I would expect that both would have put in some exceptional drives and got onto the podium a few times (just like real life), and with a bit of luck Brundle wouldn't have had his season-ending accident at Dallas. The big question for me, however, is what would have been the impact of Senna being stripped of his 1984 results and points as a result of Tyrrell's disqualification from the season? Would Senna still have been picked up by Lotus in 1985, and if not, would he have stayed on at Tyrrell for 1985 as Brundle did?

I can't imagine Ayrton Senna stoically accepting disqualification from a season and staying in F1, and I certainly can't imagine him driving again for a team that put him in that position.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:What if Ayrton Senna had driven for Tyrrell and Martin Brundle had gone to Toleman in 1984? I would expect that both would have put in some exceptional drives and got onto the podium a few times (just like real life), and with a bit of luck Brundle wouldn't have had his season-ending accident at Dallas. The big question for me, however, is what would have been the impact of Senna being stripped of his 1984 results and points as a result of Tyrrell's disqualification from the season? Would Senna still have been picked up by Lotus in 1985, and if not, would he have stayed on at Tyrrell for 1985 as Brundle did?

I think that Senna would still have been picked up by Lotus in 1985, as Tyrrell's exclusion was completely on the team for their failure in building a car for the regulations. Brundle may have gotten away with a podium in the Toleman, but I feel this would have been a slim outcome. So, I feel Senna would have managed his way into Lotus thanks to Peter Warr, and Brundle would have likely gone to another team or stayed with Toleman after 1984 assuming he wouldn't want to drive for Tyrrell either.

I can't imagine Ayrton Senna stoically accepting disqualification from a season and staying in F1, and I certainly can't imagine him driving again for a team that put him in that position.

I feel the same here. Senna was a person who would have managed himself and help the team manage itself without building something beyond the regulations, if you ask me. I feel he wouldn't have wanted to drive for Tyrrell again if he couldn't trust the team to build him a legal car. And he also had the opinion that he had the given power to win, which he did, and if he would to be disqualified a full season, he really wouldn't want to stay there.

This what if scenario about Tyrrell brings me to another question. What if Stefan Bellof chose to stay in F1? Who would he have driven for if he did stay in F1?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:This what if scenario about Tyrrell brings me to another question. What if Stefan Bellof chose to stay in F1? Who would he have driven for if he did stay in F1?

When I was very new to the forum (back in the summer of 2013), I learnt on here how Bellof had a Ferrari contract for 1986-?... Chillingly ironic how both he and Alboreto (who I'm sure would have been his future teammate) were killed driving sportcars.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

What if Renault didn't sack Alain Prost, and Eddie Cheever at the end of 1983?
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

go_Rubens wrote:This what if scenario about Tyrrell brings me to another question. What if Stefan Bellof chose to stay in F1? Who would he have driven for if he did stay in F1?

Something tells me that he didn't choose to leave F1....

As Bellof tragically had his life cut short at the 1985 1000km of Spa, that's an insensitive comment, don't you think?
Last edited by pasta_maldonado on 01 Mar 2014, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Something tells me that he didn't choose to leave F1....

As Bellof tragically had his life cut short at the 1085 1000km of Spa, that's an insensitive comment, don't you think?

I was always under the impression that he'd chosen to focus more on sportscars than F1, but that appears not to be the case. :oops: My apologies for that question then.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

More_Blue_Flags

DOSBoot wrote:What if Renault didn't sack Alain Prost, and Eddie Cheever at the end of 1983?

I think Prost and Cheever's 1984 at Renault would have looked similar to Warwick and Tambay's in real life. Maybe Prost could pick up a win or two (Brands Hatch or Hockenheim, perhaps?), but the RE50 wasn't a championship contender. Prost looks to leave Renault for 1985, but Cheever's solid if unspectacular efforts as a loyal number 2 may win him another year at Renault. Either way, I can't see many more opportunities opening up for Cheever than in real life.

Where Prost goes in 1985 is largely determined by what happens in 1984 at McLaren. If John Watson stays, that looks like the most likely destination for Prost in 1985 and F1 history as we know it largely continues - with the exception being that Lauda's WDC win in 84 is more dominant, with Prost in a Renault and Watson in a McLaren coming in with at most two wins each.

But what if, even without Prost on the market, McLaren decide Watson is still asking for too much money for 84 and replace him? Are Tambay or Warwick the best options, and is anyone picked up by McLaren likely to be let go after just one year for Prost? Perhaps Prost has to wait at Renault until 1986 for a McLaren spot, or he competes with Mansell for a Williams drive in 1985? Or does he end up taking Piquet's place in a declining Brabham and the Professor never gets a WDC?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

What if Niki Lauda had gone to Renault in 1985? In his autobiography he said that an agreement of intent was signed but Renault backed out because they were about to announce some cutbacks in the road car division and wouldn't have been able to justify paying Lauda a load of money.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
FA1L

Post by FA1L »

Faustus wrote:What if Niki Lauda had gone to Renault in 1985? In his autobiography he said that an agreement of intent was signed but Renault backed out because they were about to announce some cutbacks in the road car division and wouldn't have been able to justify paying Lauda a load of money.
He would have got some podiums, maybe even a race victory, but would be far from the championship.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

What if Susie Wolff would divorce Toto, but still keep the surname. And CNN reporter Wolf Blitzer divorced his wife and married Susie, taking her surname.
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jocke1 wrote:What if Susie Wolff would divorce Toto, but still keep the surname. And CNN reporter Wolf Blitzer divorced his wife and married Susie, taking her surname.

Or, as is possible nowadays (so I am led to believe), Wolf Blitzer married Toto Wolff, and Wolf took the surname Wolff?

And they both teamed up with Walter Wolf to reform the Wolf racing team!?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
More_Blue_Flags

FA1L wrote:
Faustus wrote:What if Niki Lauda had gone to Renault in 1985? In his autobiography he said that an agreement of intent was signed but Renault backed out because they were about to announce some cutbacks in the road car division and wouldn't have been able to justify paying Lauda a load of money.
He would have got some podiums, maybe even a race victory, but would be far from the championship.

Lauda may have picked up a podium or two early in the season, but I don't think the RE60 was a race-winning car unless exceptional circumstances presented themselves. I would imagine Lauda losing interest even earlier in the season than he did with McLaren, and both Lauda and Renault would have left the sport at the end of 1985.

In Lauda's biography did he suggest how would have been likely to have been dropped by Renault to make room for him, and who McLaren would have looked for as a replacement? Either Warwick or Tambay in a McLaren in 1985 might have been worth seeing, but I would imagine that Prost would still win the 1985 title by a fair margin.