Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS) (1986-1991)

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
bigears

Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS) (1986-1991)

Post by bigears »

Some information about the small French team in here.

The 1986 season
Autosport 28th August 1986.

The 1986 season continues
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 20th September 1986.

Motoring News 27th September 1986.

Autosport 20th November 1986.[/spoiler]

The 1987 season
[spoiler]
AGS has still to confirm its definite F1 plans, although Henri Julian has confirmed that the tiny French team will be switching from Motori Moderni turbocharged V6 power to normally-aspirated Heini Mader 3.5 Cosworths. Pascal Fabre remains the favourite to drive one of two new cars, the second to be retained as a spare.

Motoring News 28th January 1987.

Motoring News 25th March 1987.

Motoring News 8th April 1987.

Motoring News 15th April 1987.

Motoring News 8th July 1987.

Motoring News 15th July 1987.

Autosport 16th July 1987.

The British Grand Prix wrote:Fabre: Consistently last throughout both official qualifying sessions and the race. Classified ninth, six laps behind. Only car in World Championship field to havew unbroken finishing record in all seven races.

Autosport 16th July 1987.

The Italian Grand Prix wrote:Fabre: 27th first session, 28th in second. Failed to qualify.

Autosport 10th September 1987.

The Italian Grand Prix wrote:Caffi: Qualified 20th on Friday, dropping one place in second session. Ran 19th from start, climbing to 14th before rear suspension breakage on lap 17 caused retirement.

Forini: Qualified 23rd first session, dropping to 26th on Saturday, Ran stedingly at tail of field before retiring after 27 laps with turbo failure.

Autosport 30th July 1987.

Motoring News 26th August 1987.

Motoring News 3rd September 1987.

Motoring News 16th September 1987.

Motoring News 30th September 1987.

Motoring News 14th October 1987.

Autosport 15th October 1987.

Motoring News 28th October 1987.

Motoring News 4th November 1987.

Motoring News 18th November 1987.

Motoring News 18th November 1987.

Motoring News 16th December 1987.

Motoring News 2nd December 1987.

Motoring News 16th December 1987.[/spoiler]

The 1988 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 17th February 1988.

Motoring News 17th February 1988.

Motoring News 24th February 1988.

Motoring News 16th March 1988.

Motoring News 16th March 1988.

Motoring News 30th March 1988.

Autosport 31st March 1988.

Autosport 31st March 1988.

1988 - Imola - Philippe Streiff.
Motoring News 5th May 1988.

1988 - Mexico City - Philippe Streiff.
Motoring News 6th June 1988.

Motoring News 15th June 1988.

1988 - Montreal - Philippe Streiff.
Motoring News 15th June 1988.

Motoring News 22nd June 1988.

Motoring News 6th July 1988.

Motoring News 13th July 1988.

The Hungarian Grand Prix wrote:Streiff: Both cars completely rebuilt since Hockenheim. Did only a few laps in the wet, but happy with 13th best time in the afternoon. Misfire on Saturday led to switch to spare but this was unbalanced. Stayed with spare for qualifying, but electrical gremlins switched cars as well. Made the cut in the closing minutes to take 23rd on the grid. Gremlins came back in warm-up, started on spare car. Brushed Nakajima early on, making qucik stop to replace nosecone. Retired with suspension failure within a couple of laps.

Autosport 11th August 1988.

Motoring News 1st September 1988.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Streiff: Concentrating on sorting out brand new chassis on Friday morning. Set 18th best time in the afternoon despite broken exhaust while on second set of tyres. WOrked on wet settings for both chassis on Saturday, setting 12th fastest time in the morning, but completing only four laps in the afternoon. Had a quick spin in the race, enjoying a 30-lap tussle with fellow countryman, Alliot, on his way to 12th position.

Autosport 1st September 1988.

Autosport 1st September 1988.

The tiny French AGS team shrank even further last week when three employees, including long-time chassis designer Christian Vanderpleyn, defected to Enzo Coloni's F1 operation, Bougues, a giant construction company which sponsors AGS, has withdrawn its support

Autocar & Motor 7th September 1988.

...in some circles it is still suggested that Philippe Streiff will be reunited there with his former AGS colleagues Vanderpleyn, Costa and Dhainault.

Motoring News 5th October 1988.

Motoring News 5th October 1988.

Autosport 13th October 1988.

The Japanese Grand Prix wrote:Streiff: Troublefree day on Friday, although looking for more straightline speed. Suffered a broken exhaust in the afternoon which lost him power. Sixteenth overnight. Big improvement on Saturday although an oil leak handicapped efforts when he was black-flagged, resilting in the loss of two grid places. Happy with car in the warm-up and made up six places on the first lap. Battled with Palmer before running wide in damp conditions and going onto the grass. Fought hard with Alliot in the closing laps just holding on to eighth place.

Autosport 3rd November 1988.

Motoring News 16th November 1988.

Motoring 30th November 1988.

Motoring News 7th December 1988.

Motoring News 21st December 1988.[/spoiler]

The 1989 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 25th January 1989.

Motoring News 1st March 1989.

Motoring News 1st March 1989.

Motoring News 15th March 1989.

Motoring News 22nd March 1989.

Motoring News 22nd March 1989.

Motoring News 29th March 1989.

Motoring News 19th April 1989.

Motoring News 26th April 1989.

The San Marino Grand Prix wrote:Tarquini: First race with AGS. Happy with the balance of the car. Lost clutch on Friday afternoon as track dried. Engine broke on Saturday morning and ran into traffic in afternoon. 18th on the grid. Delayed behind de Cesaris, but finally moved through to eighth by the finsih (despite losing clutch in final laps) Promoted to sixth for his first championship point.

Winkelhock: AGS still awaiting its new JH25 chassis and Winkelhock is struggling in old JH23. Failed to pre-qualify

Autosport 27th April 1989.

Motorings News 10th May 1989.

Motorings News 10th May 1989.

AGS hopes to debut its new JH24 in either Montreal or Paul Ricard GPs. Gabriele Tarquini will drive it, with Joachim Winkelhock getting his later in the season.

Motoring News 1st June 1989.

Motoring News 21st June 1989.

Motoring News 12th July 1989.

Joachim Winkelhock tell us that he and his primary backers, Camel Germany and Liqui Moly, are due to reassess his future after the German GP at Hockenheim. We'll see see what happens at my home meeting, and then take it from there," he said.

Although he is only communicating by former emplyer Gerard Larrousse by post, Yannick Dalmas is said to be in negotiation with AGS regarding a possible F1 drive.

Motoring News 19th July 1989.

AGS hopes to debut its new JH24 in either Montreal or Paul Ricard for the Canadian or French GPs. Gabriele Tarquini will drive it, Joachim Winkelhock getting his later in the season.

Motoring News 31st August 1989.

Gabriele Tarquini has signed a contract with AGS for next season. The team was joined last weekend by engineer Michel Costa, recently departed from Coloni.

Autosport 31st August 1989.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Tarquini: Running a JH24. Gear selection problem from the start, then collided with Larini's Osella. Hit barriers and returned to pits on foot. Tried the JH23, but failed to pre-qualify

Dalmas: Damaged the underbody of his JH24 and then had red warning in cockpit as he fired up for a lte charge. Could not use the spare JH23, as Tarquini was already using it. Failed to pre-qualify

Autosport 31st August 1989.

Motoring News 13th September 1989.

Motoring News 8th November 1989.

Motoring News 20th December 1989.

Motoring News 20th December 1989.[/spoiler]

The 1990 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 28th February 1990.

Motoring News 7th March 1990.

Motoring News 2nd May 1990.

Motoring News 10th May 1990.

Hughes de Chaunac has left his position as technical director and is to pursue other interests. The Frenchman has been disppointed with AGS' progress, and is expecting to move into rallying. His last experience in thissphere was when his Oreca concern ran a BMW M1 for Bernard Beguin in the early 1980s.

Motoring News 27th June 1990.

Motoring News 11th July 1990.

Motoring News 11th July 1990.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Tarquini: Made it through pre-qualifying without too much trouble, but never really close to the necessary pace in the official sessions. Saturday was spoiled by engine trouble and Gabriele again failed to qualify.

Dalmas: Suffered similar problems to Tarquini with the AGS seemingly not up to the pace, despite development work. Failed to qualify

Autosport 30th August 1990.

AGS to run only one car? Word in Adelaide is that the French team will either filed Gabriele Tarquini or, just possibly Andrea de Cesaris, in 1991. Yannick Dalmas is thought to be headed for Peugeot as the second Frenchman (Alliot being the first) that Jean Todt requires in the team.

Motoring News 7th November 1990.

We hear that Stefan Johansson and the AGS team have been in negotiations for the Swede to return to F1 in 1991.

Autosport 6th December 1990.

Motoring News 19th December 1990.[/spoiler]

The 1991 season
Motorsport September 1991.
Last edited by bigears on 14 Jun 2013, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS)

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

And just like that, dinizintheoven loses the record for longest post ever!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

You should submit this to Enoch, bigears! :D
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And just like that, dinizintheoven loses the record for longest post ever!

I think Jocke1 has that record for his opening post in the Alex Wurz conspiracy thread.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Such a great post! Thanks for sharing all of that; AGS were always a bit of an enigma to me.

And they'd be eligible for an article as well, which would be quite comprehensive with all this info.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And just like that, dinizintheoven loses the record for longest post ever!

I'll get it back one day. That is a promise... it is also a threat.

FMecha wrote:You should submit this to Enoch, bigears! :D

I recently found a half-written email to Enoch in my Drafts folder about writing the official AGS profile. It was dated two years ago...

If anyone actually wants to do it, raise a hand and I'll scan all the books and other bits and pieces I had earmarked as being useful for the article.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

I'll do it. I have promised Jamie and enoch to do and AGS-profile ages ago, and with this material it will be my pleasure to write one!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

You're the same Mischa who's done such things as the profile of Mikko Kozarowitzky, right?

What I've got is the relevant pages from Adriano Cimarosti's Complete History of Grand Prix Motor Racing, the section on AGS from Pierre Ménard's (enormous, if badly proof-read) Great Encyclopedia of Formula One, and bits and pieces from the 1991 BBC Grand Prix season guide and the British Grand Prix programme from that year. I'll get my scanner out!
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

Yes, that's is me. I have the Menard encyclopedia, any other material would be highly appreciated!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Marvellous - Ménard would be difficult to scan as the books are so huge. Cimarosti's is a bit more manageable - I'll scan the pages for 1986-89 from it, just in case there's anything useful.
mytolemanisonfire

Post by mytolemanisonfire »

I would like an AGS profile; I think this post contains more information on AGS than the rest of the internet combined.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Job well done, bigears! I could never have found this much information on Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives.

On another note, I want an AGS profile, and this post has the necessary information.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

I'm working on an AGS profile for F1rejects, so please be patient!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Mischa: it's probably about time I sent you all the stuff I said I would! I hadn't forgotten, just got caught up in a number of other projects that have kept me away from here more than usual.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Great post bigears!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Mischa wrote:I'm working on an AGS profile for F1rejects, so please be patient!

If you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Mischa

Post by Mischa »

dinizintheoven wrote:Mischa: it's probably about time I sent you all the stuff I said I would! I hadn't forgotten, just got caught up in a number of other projects that have kept me away from here more than usual.

Did you ever get my private messages, Diniz?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Mischa wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Mischa: it's probably about time I sent you all the stuff I said I would! I hadn't forgotten, just got caught up in a number of other projects that have kept me away from here more than usual.

Did you ever get my private messages, Diniz?

Hmmm. The only one I can find was from way back in April. At the risk of repeating myself, since June I've got caught up in even more projects but now, seeing as one of them is to thoroughly clean and tidy my house, some of that tidying will involve putting all the books away that I intend to scan so I'll have no excuse not to do it!
Mischa

Re: Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS) (1986-1991)

Post by Mischa »

So now that the F1 season is over and I've finally returned home I will try to get some work done on an AGS team profile. Stay tuned, folks!
Alextrax52

Re: Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS) (1986-1991)

Post by Alextrax52 »

Mischa wrote:So now that the F1 season is over and I've finally returned home I will try to get some work done on an AGS team profile. Stay tuned, folks!

I've been looking forward to an AGS profile. I'll be happy to read it when it's done