Reject of the Race: United States, 2013

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Reject of the Race: United States, 2013

Post by go_Rubens »

Cynon wrote:The Tire Compounds: Holy crap that race was boring, and two of my favorite drivers went 1-2 in that race. I took a nap midway through the race, woke up, wasn't surprised by the results. PIRELLI! PLEASE! Bring back the Silverstone tire compounds!!!

Arguably,the tyres are why the races became dull over the last few races, and how it screwed Ferrari and Lotus's qualifying efforts when their cars can't heat up the tyres well enough. Red Bull is really the team who benefited from the tyre change, as they have won 8 of the 9 races with the 2012 spec tyres with Vettel. If the tyres were still the same, we would have no doubt seen Force India contending for podiums, and everyone where they should have been instead of the FIA making a scapegoat out of Pirelli. The second half of the season really knocked a dent in some team's plans, and I think that teams only wanted the tyres to be changed to benefit them. The tyre change can be a case of the teams trying to fix the results of the race. It's a different version of team orders, and they got their wish. Why didn't the tyre compounds stay, so teams had to work around their problems? It would have made the second half more interesting.

pi314159 wrote:Or, more generally, give it to the deadbeat teammates: Rosberg, Button, Massa, Kovalainen, Gutierrez, Maldonado and Chilton.

Quite honestly, this is a reasonable nomination, as there were a lot of deadbeat teammates this weekend. I say it is a decent contender for ROTR.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Maldonado and Sutil - the former for being an idiot all weekend, and the latter for being stupid enough to get into a barging match with him. I hope both are out of F1 soon.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Team principles would be a decent nomination in my opinion. Martin Whitmarsh sacking Perez and then Perez beating Button by 30 seconds in the race is egg on his face (as is the Mexican cannabis flag on the merchandising stand!). Likewise Eric Boullier has taken on Heikki Kovalainen who has brought neither points nor (seemingly) money.

Gutierrez displayed his usual lack of race-craft and Sutil crashed out, but I don't think they are anywhere near worthy of ROTR.

The stand out nominee must be Maldonado. Rubens has said everything I wanted to say on the matter.

go_Rubens wrote:
1. By far, this has to be Pastor Maldonado. I mean, he shows horrid pace all weekend in retrospect to Bottas, he accuses the team of sabotaging his car, he gets caught up in many incidents, including one with Sutil, nearly takes his wing off, slow, and his attitude torwards the team and everything related to them are just plainly criminal, selfish acts to pitifully try to convince himself of his speed and talent. Bottas finished 8th, and now has 80% of William's scored points. If that doesn't get ROTR by default, I will be left thinking...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Pastor Maldonado for the worst weekend of his F1 careers

Special Mention
FullMetalJack for over celebrating after Bottas scores four points
Officially Retired
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Anyone who whined about Pirelli tyres early in the season: You got what you wanted. Be happy now.

Also, Pastor
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

DonTirri wrote:Anyone who whined about Pirelli tyres early in the season: You got what you wanted. Be happy now.

This
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

DonTirri wrote:Anyone who whined about Pirelli tyres early in the season: You got what you wanted. Be happy now.

inb4 everyone spins in the esses of the esses part.

Maldonado for......bad weekend
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

HawkAussie wrote:Pastor Maldonado for the worst weekend of his F1 careers

Special Mention

Thank goodness I saved all my celebrating for offline then! ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Time for the official decision ...

I must say, there were a couple of interesting alternatives this time around. I did like the suggestion of "team bosses with egg on faces" who must be wondering about their recent driver decisions given some of the performances at the COTA (eg Whitmarsh for keeping Button who has gone AWOL and dumping Perez who's performed well in recent times, Williams for picking Massa, Boullier for opting for Kovalainen ... surely Valsecchi or KOBAYASHI couldn't have done worse!).

I even contemplated another "the whole field except ..." award, with the likes of Vettel, Grosjean and Bottas being exonerated.

But in the end, standing head and shoulders above the rest, it just had to be Pastor Maldonado. Trounced by Bottas in practice and qualifying, then having the gumption to allege sabotage by his own team, getting caught up in that clash with Sutil on the first lap, and generally displaying so much attitude that even with the Venezuelan megabucks behind him, if I were Lotus I wouldn't want to touch him with a barge pole.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

HawkAussie wrote:Special Mention

I regret nothing!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Sutil and Pastor Maldolan for the collision. One is a DNF and Bottas had points while Pastor was alongside the backmarkers after that crash and never recovered.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote: displaying so much attitude that even with the Venezuelan megabucks behind him, if I were Lotus I wouldn't want to touch him with a barge pole.

That one line sums it up for me
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

This was a reasonable nomination, indeed. Although I'm sure Vettel would have won it in the end (I can't understand how people forget that he has been leading the standings since Malaysia; well I do, because they don't want reality to destroy their idea that the 2013 season has been somehow "robbed", but still), he probably wouldn't have been winning the last eight races.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!