2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
watka wrote:Rob, you are in so many avatar challenges I'm not sure how you'll manage when you lose them all :D

Well, he can have this multi-purpose avatar:

we so need a thread so we can keep track of how many avatar challenges we are in because I don't have a bathplugging clue :D

Nice design for me BTW 8-)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I'm going to use that, as I lost a bet in the PMMF.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
mario

Post by mario »

An interesting piece of news has recently come through about the efforts to find a replacement for Ricciardo, because it suggests that Red Bull are not quite as confident in da Costa as perhaps we first thought.
In an interview with a Belgian publication (Le Soir), Stoffel Vandoorne has revealed that Red Bull formally offered him a seat at Toro Rosso to partner Vergne. However, the contract would have only been for one year and, with Red Bull not committing to long term support for him, Vandoorne rejected his offer in favour of retaining McLaren's support for the long term, with McLaren likely to support him for another season in FR3.5 to build up his experience and possibly promote him to the role of reserve driver. http://www.f1technical.net/news/18861
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Well, if that's true then it's not great news for AFDC. Even if he gets the seat there's a great danger that Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz, Jr will be breathing down his neck, so Helmut 'Patience' Marko can get shot of both him and JEV in one go.

In slight relation to that, I don't expect many of the other Red Bull Juniors to make it to F1 (at least not with Red Bull). Beitske Visser will probably be kept on for 2014, as she is at least more marketable than any other junior driver of her level. Callan O'Keefe hasn't really delivered on his karting promise, Blomqvist may get another year but has not improved on his 2012 performance at all. So there'll probably be a new raft of Red Bull juniors signed up for 2014 (probably three).
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

One name seems to always go missing in the Red Bull junior team - Mitch Evans.

In his first GP2 season he's beating Cecotto soundly in the points and has picked up a few podiums. I know he's not a contender for the next couple of years but I think he could make the step up shortly after.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Visconti

Post by Visconti »

AustralianStig wrote:One name seems to always go missing in the Red Bull junior team - Mitch Evans.

In his first GP2 season he's beating Cecotto soundly in the points and has picked up a few podiums. I know he's not a contender for the next couple of years but I think he could make the step up shortly after.

His results haven't been consistent this year, so maybe he would be suited to completing another year in GP2. He did the same with GP3, where he had an inconsistent debut season then he won it the following year of course.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AustralianStig wrote:One name seems to always go missing in the Red Bull junior team - Mitch Evans.

There's a good reason for that - he's sponsored by Red Bull New Zealand, but he's not a member of the Red Bull Junior Team. Maybe Red Bull would be encourage to make him a member though.
The Iceman Waiteth
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Backmarker wrote:

There's a good reason for that - he's sponsored by Red Bull New Zealand, but he's not a member of the Red Bull Junior Team. Maybe Red Bull would be encourage to make him a member though.

Really? I just assumed he was part of the Junior Team as he drives for Arden...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:Well, if that's true then it's not great news for AFDC. Even if he gets the seat there's a great danger that Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz, Jr will be breathing down his neck, so Helmut 'Patience' Marko can get shot of both him and JEV in one go.

In slight relation to that, I don't expect many of the other Red Bull Juniors to make it to F1 (at least not with Red Bull). Beitske Visser will probably be kept on for 2014, as she is at least more marketable than any other junior driver of her level. Callan O'Keefe hasn't really delivered on his karting promise, Blomqvist may get another year but has not improved on his 2012 performance at all. So there'll probably be a new raft of Red Bull juniors signed up for 2014 (probably three).

So let me throw in three names...Pierre Gasly, Ralph Boschung and Dennis Olsen.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AustralianStig wrote:
Backmarker wrote:

Really? I just assumed he was part of the Junior Team as he drives for Arden...

No. Red Bull haven't had a Junior Team driver in GP2 since Sébastien Buemi. And Arden's a separate(ish) outfit to Red Bull - the Arden Caterham FR3.5 team actually has strong links to Red Bull Junior Team, but the GP2 and GP3 teams don't.

wrsgo, hello to a twitter friend - what makes you think Gasly, Boschung and Olsen will be signing up to Red Bull?
The Iceman Waiteth
Visconti

Post by Visconti »

Backmarker wrote:wrsgo, hello to a twitter friend - what makes you think Gasly, Boschung and Olsen will be signing up to Red Bull?

Gasly turned down a Red Bull Junior Team position I believe at the start of 2013, although I am not 100%. He's definitely featured once on the Red Bull motorsport website.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

mario wrote:An interesting piece of news has recently come through about the efforts to find a replacement for Ricciardo, because it suggests that Red Bull are not quite as confident in da Costa as perhaps we first thought.
In an interview with a Belgian publication (Le Soir), Stoffel Vandoorne has revealed that Red Bull formally offered him a seat at Toro Rosso to partner Vergne. However, the contract would have only been for one year and, with Red Bull not committing to long term support for him, Vandoorne rejected his offer in favour of retaining McLaren's support for the long term, with McLaren likely to support him for another season in FR3.5 to build up his experience and possibly promote him to the role of reserve driver. http://www.f1technical.net/news/18861

Sounds like self-promotion, frankly, and I question the veracity of this statement.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:wrsgo, hello to a twitter friend - what makes you think Gasly, Boschung and Olsen will be signing up to Red Bull?

Hello backmarker. Gasly was under observation by Red Bull last year. Though he isn't wearing RB colours this year, he is leading a series which RB juniors have taken part in, in the past. Almost all RB juniors have participated in Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0. I'm not sure Red Bull will take him, but they might.
Olsen impressed with his karting record, he is currently under observation by Red Bull, and is backed by Red Bull Norway. He's had a strong debut season in cars, finishing third in Formula Renault 2.0 NEC. He has a good chance of moving up to the Eurocup competition next year as a Red Bull junior.
Boschung is a name I just threw out, the Formula BMW Talent Cup graduate has had a good season in the ultra-competitive ADAC Formel Masters, finishing 7th with KUG, which isn't a very good outfit. Apart from female driver Beitske Visser, who is Red Bull-backed, Boschung also beat fellow BMW Talent Cup graduate Callan O'Keeffe, who is a member of the Bed Bull Junior Team. Since O'Keeffe has had a poor season, Red Bull might well take Boschung. Also, Boschung said on Twitter last month about a big news coming up.

Also, are you on Twitter? I don't know your Twitter handle.... :oops:
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Faustus wrote:
mario wrote:An interesting piece of news has recently come through about the efforts to find a replacement for Ricciardo, because it suggests that Red Bull are not quite as confident in da Costa as perhaps we first thought.

Sounds like self-promotion, frankly, and I question the veracity of this statement.

With Magnussen having sealed the FR 3.5 title, it's probably in Vandoorne's best interest to publicly reaffirm his association with McLaren, to ameliorate management concerns over his loyalty and to maintain McLaren's goodwill. Aside from that, though the aforementioned statements do emanate a self-promoting intent, Vandoorne's management probably believe such publicity to conducive to keeping their driver within the frame for future negotiations.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

wsrgo wrote:Also, are you on Twitter? I don't know your Twitter handle.... :oops:

If I told you that you and I had interacted on this topic on twitter, you should be able to work out who I am.

With regards Stoffel Vandoorne, I think he has done very well in his first season in Formula Renault 3.5, as the only person who beat him was in his second season in the series. The second best rookie this season was William Buller, who was down in eleventh. It's a shame there won't be enough seats open in Formula One next season for him to get a drive.
The Iceman Waiteth
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Also, are you on Twitter? I don't know your Twitter handle.... :oops:

If I told you that you and I had interacted on this topic on twitter, you should be able to work out who I am.

With regards Stoffel Vandoorne, I think he has done very well in his first season in Formula Renault 3.5, as the only person who beat him was in his second season in the series. The second best rookie this season was William Buller, who was down in eleventh. It's a shame there won't be enough seats open in Formula One next season for him to get a drive.

Is your first name Peter, by any chance?

Also, I think Sirotkin should be counted as an effective rookie...

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

wsrgo wrote:
Backmarker wrote:

Is your first name Peter, by any chance?

Also, I think Sirotkin should be counted as an effective rookie...

Yeah, that's me.
The Iceman Waiteth
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Allegedly, McLaren have managed to poach yet another Red Bull aerodynamicist, this time the deputy to Peter Prodromou. Reports appear to be limited to a single source, however, and are highly ambiguous. The source in question is also of questionable credibility.

http://www.f1.co.uk/read-news/2013/8612 ... dynamicist
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Pastor has just taken to Twitter to say "There have been a number of rumours about my relationship with Williams F1, which are false. There is a good driver/team relationship, and we've been working day and night to improve our results."

That's a lovely sentiment, Pastor, but this might be out of your hands...something about plots thickening.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Ataxia wrote:Pastor has just taken to Twitter to say "There have been a number of rumours about my relationship with Williams F1, which are false. There is a good driver/team relationship, and we've been working day and night to improve our results."

That's a lovely sentiment, Pastor, but this might be out of your hands...something about plots thickening.

Hmm..plots are thicker than plans? A blatant rip-off from 'blood is thicker than water', I know

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

More silly season things!

Quantum Motorsports retweeted this, then deleted it:
"So, @Lotus_F1Team to become @Quantum_F1? Also, look who they're following driverwise, only a certain @RGrosjean and @NicoHulkenberg ...

Keep an eye out on their page, there's supposed to be an announcement on Tuesday.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

Ataxia wrote:More silly season things!

Quantum Motorsports retweeted this, then deleted it:
"So, @Lotus_F1Team to become @Quantum_F1? Also, look who they're following driverwise, only a certain @RGrosjean and @NicoHulkenberg ...

Keep an eye out on their page, there's supposed to be an announcement on Tuesday.

Most interesting. Especially the "Coming Soon" part which is either exciting or ominous. Maybe excitingly ominous.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The Hulkenberg and Grosjean thing is very, very revealing indeed. It looks like they will be announced shortly as their drivers for next year.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Quantum Motorsports 1h
Thank you for the early positive support. We look forward to bringing you announcements soon.

This is indeed very ominous.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Russian teenager confirmed for 2014 drive.

F1Fanatic wrote:Toro Rosso have confirmed Russian driver Daniil Kvyat will race for them in 2014 in place of Daniel Ricciardo.

Kvyat will partner Jean-Eric Vergne, who remains at the team for a third season.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

GwilymJJames wrote:Russian teenager confirmed for 2014 drive.

F1Fanatic wrote:Toro Rosso have confirmed Russian driver Daniil Kvyat will race for them in 2014 in place of Daniel Ricciardo.

Kvyat will partner Jean-Eric Vergne, who remains at the team for a third season.

I thought for a minute it was Sirotkin's drive with Sauber that was sealed. Out of the blue choice really but Kvyat's solid GP3 turnaround must have impressed the bosses while da Costa's slightly disappointing FR3.5 season must not have been
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

...Well. Didn't expect that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Well that's a bit of a surprise...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

On behalf of all us Russians I want to say: "Huh?! Seriously? Wow!"
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I thought for a minute it was Sirotkin's drive with Sauber that was sealed. Out of the blue choice really but Kvyat's solid GP3 turnaround must have impressed the bosses while da Costa's slightly disappointing FR3.5 season must not have been

I have the feeling that da Costa will be like Magnussen Sr. and Pizzonia. Unbeatable in the junior categories, but absolutely unable to meet or exceed expectations once in F1. That is if da Costa even makes it and I hope he will soon.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

This is bad for Da Costa.

Also, this bad for Vergne as well, because Red Bull still have hopes for Da Costa and if Vergne don't beat Kvyat by a high margin, he will be sacked for sure.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I thought for a minute it was Sirotkin's drive with Sauber that was sealed. Out of the blue choice really but Kvyat's solid GP3 turnaround must have impressed the bosses while da Costa's slightly disappointing FR3.5 season must not have been

I have the feeling that da Costa will be like Magnussen Sr. and Pizzonia. Unbeatable in the junior categories, but absolutely unable to meet or exceed expectations once in F1. That is if da Costa even makes it and I hope he will soon.

This is already false because da Costa was miserable for most of the season against Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

It seems that da Costa's FR3.5 season has really cost him. I also think I heard that Red Bull & Toro Rosso weren't massively impressed with him at the Young Drivers' Test at Silverstone earlier this year.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:I have the feeling that da Costa will be like Magnussen Sr. and Pizzonia. Unbeatable in the junior categories, but absolutely unable to meet or exceed expectations once in F1. That is if da Costa even makes it and I hope he will soon.

This is already false because da Costa was miserable for most of the season against Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne.

I already knew that his season wasn't impressive but I still thought he was in with a shout of the STR seat. Obviously I am wrong.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

There is now an F1 driver younger than me. I feel like a failure somehow...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Ataxia wrote:There is now an F1 driver younger than me. I feel like a failure somehow...

So? That's okay. Once all the drivers are younger than you, that's when it's time to freak out.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Ataxia wrote:There is now an F1 driver younger than me. I feel like a failure somehow...

So? That's okay. Once all the drivers are younger than you, that's when it's time to freak out.

It's a sad day when a four-time world champion is younger than you (any day now...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Dj_bereta wrote:This is bad for Da Costa.

Also, this bad for Vergne as well, because Red Bull still have hopes for Da Costa and if Vergne don't beat Kvyat by a high margin, he will be sacked for sure.

I'm interpreting this as Red Bull giving Da Costa one last shot against Sainz, Jr. -- and that it will be a contest between Da Costa and Sainz, Jr. for Vergne's seat. If anything, it could be worse for Vergne, because he's being used as a yardstick to measure Kvyat. If Vergne, however, destroys Kvyat and makes a hero of himself in 2014... then it might be a VERY interesting year at STR... so I think we might see a more desperate, aggressive Vergne. I hope so, anyway, there needs to be something exciting about STR's on track performances.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.