The Alexandros Margaritis DTM Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
RonDenisDeletraz

Re: The Alexandros Margaritis DTM Thread

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I feel a bit sorry for Wittman to be honest. He did beat a certain Williams F1 driver in the 2010 F3 Euroseries. And Robert Wickens really deserved something better than what he is doing now
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

eurobrun wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Wittman to be honest. He did beat a certain Williams F1 driver in the 2010 F3 Euroseries. And Robert Wickens really deserved something better than what he is doing now

To be fair, that year Volkswagen improved their powerplant by leaps and bounds, and Signature was unstoppable. ART were far off. Still, nothing to take away from Marco, it was his first year, and he was tremendously consistent. I wish he could have won at Macau in 2011, but a poor start didn't do him any favours. Still, managed to finish third.

As for Wickens, God only knows why Red Bull kicked him out..his junior formula record is really good..well, I hope he does well this year..Merc might consider him as an option to fill the possible vacancy at Force India next year..
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

wsrgo wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Wittman to be honest. He did beat a certain Williams F1 driver in the 2010 F3 Euroseries. And Robert Wickens really deserved something better than what he is doing now

To be fair, that year Volkswagen improved their powerplant by leaps and bounds, and Signature was unstoppable. ART were far off. Still, nothing to take away from Marco, it was his first year, and he was tremendously consistent. I wish he could have won at Macau in 2011, but a poor start didn't do him any favours. Still, managed to finish third.

As for Wickens, God only knows why Red Bull kicked him out..his junior formula record is really good..well, I hope he does well this year..Merc might consider him as an option to fill the possible vacancy at Force India next year..

Sutil is controversial and di Resta is a bad driver. Replace them with Wickens and Bianchi :)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
wsrgo wrote:

Sutil is controversial and di Resta is a bad driver. Replace them with Wickens and Bianchi :)

A Wickens/Bianchi pairing would be pretty dynamite, IMO.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

wsrgo wrote:As for Wickens, God only knows why Red Bull kicked him out..his junior formula record is really good..well, I hope he does well this year..Merc might consider him as an option to fill the possible vacancy at Force India next year..

Because finishing second in Formula Two was unacceptable to Herr Doktor Marko. :roll:
MIA SAN MIA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ferrarist wrote:
wsrgo wrote:As for Wickens, God only knows why Red Bull kicked him out..his junior formula record is really good..well, I hope he does well this year..Merc might consider him as an option to fill the possible vacancy at Force India next year..

Because finishing second in Formula Two was unacceptable to Herr Doktor Marko. :roll:

Against Andy Soucek, though? A guy who spent a couple years in GP2 and had far more experience than the rest of the field? What did they expect?
Everything's great.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Against Andy Soucek, though? A guy who spent a couple years in GP2 and had far more experience than the rest of the field? What did they expect?

Ask Hit...I mean, him. But wasn't Wickens involved with Marussia afterwards? Why did that go nowhere?
MIA SAN MIA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ferrarist wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Against Andy Soucek, though? A guy who spent a couple years in GP2 and had far more experience than the rest of the field? What did they expect?

Ask Hit...I mean, him. But wasn't Wickens involved with Marussia afterwards? Why did that go nowhere?

Because Soucek is a douchebag with a bad habit of suing teams when they sack him for being shite.
Everything's great.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:

Because Soucek is a douchebag with a bad habit of suing teams when they sack him for being shite.

No he means with Wickens I think. He did a couple of Fridays in 2011 for them didn't he? Maybe it was just a temporary deal.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AndreaModa wrote:No he means with Wickens I think. He did a couple of Fridays in 2011 for them didn't he? Maybe it was just a temporary deal.

... I have no idea why I read that as Soucek. I think it might be because Wickens signed on as part of Mercedes' young driver academy, and they've focused him on DTM for whatever reason.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

AndreaModa wrote:No he means with Wickens I think. He did a couple of Fridays in 2011 for them didn't he? Maybe it was just a temporary deal.

... I have no idea why I read that as Soucek. I think it might be because Wickens signed on as part of Mercedes' young driver academy, and they've focused him on DTM for whatever reason.

Nah, Ithink Pic bought his seat at Marussia..
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:

Nah, Ithink Pic bought his seat at Marussia..

We didn't hear Wickens' name mentioned at all for the 2nd Marussia seat - I'm pretty sure it was a Mercedes decision to put him in DTM. They definately could've secured that seat for him if they wanted to.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

QUALIFYING FOR RACE 1 AT HOCKENHEIM(ROUND 1) OVER

Good showing from the Merc bunch. 2009 F3 Euroseries runner-up Christian Vietoris qualified 3rd, 2011 Formula Renault 3.5 champion Robert Wickens will start 4th. Last year's F3 Euroseries runner-up Pascal Wehrlein topped Q2 and was an impressive 8th. Last year's F3 Euroseries champion Daniel Juncadella qualified 10th.

I'm not mentioning Paffett(who qualified 5th) because I just want to highlight that the aforementioned drivers can/could be in F1. I hope at least one of these guys gets a YDT chance from Mercedes.

Audi's Timo Scheider grabbed pole ahead of BMW's Augusto Farfus. Last year's champion Bruno Spengler was 7th in his BMW. Former F1 driver qualified in 15th.

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Looks like Mercedes has indeed some raw diamonds in their ranks. Especially Pascal Wehrlein's performance in the qualifying was outstanding, for a rookie at least. Mercedes should build him up for 3-4 years, and should hopefully have a capable F1 driver by then.
MIA SAN MIA!
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Pretty entertaining, if sometimes confusing, first race of this year. Yes, the overtaking maneuvers look a bit artificial thanks to DRS, but at least there is some movement. It's actually crap that you can't use DRS in the last three laps. Hopefully, the next race at Brands Hatch will finally be exciting, given that Brands has always been a borefest.

ROTR: Andy Priaulx. Your WTCC mate Farfus won the race, so there is no excuse for finishing 2 laps down on 17th!
MIA SAN MIA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Anyone saw the race this past Sunday?
I did, and the aftermath is very confusing...

First this water bottle issue, and then he failed to attach the steering wheel properly.
Talk about amateur hour at the Norisring. :roll:

watch this:
http://youtu.be/TpOOv13wDmQ

Mattias Ekström loses Norisring victory
Audi driver Mattias Ekström has lost his victory in the fifth DTM round at the Norisring. After the Swede illegitimately had water poured into the pockets of his race suit in parc fermé in Nuremberg on his 35th birthday, he was excluded from the race by the stewards because of an infringement of the parc fermé rules. As a result, victory went to Mercedes-Benz driver Robert Wickens from Canada, who scored his maiden DTM race win and brought the brand from Stuttgart its eleventh consecutive success at the Norisring.

Christian Vietoris and Daniel Juncadella (both Mercedes-Benz) were promoted to second and third place respectively. Points’ leader Mike Rockenfeller (Audi) was classified fifth and now has a margin of two points from Bruno Spengler (BMW), who finished fifth in Nuremberg.

Ekström’s Team Audi Sport Abt Sportsline has announced its intention to appeal and has two days to back this up in writing. The amended result remains provisional until the appeal has been decided upon. Moreover, Ekström was given a 1,000 euros fine because he failed to attach the steering wheel properly after getting out of his car in parc fermé.

-*:-
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Uh Oh, I thought Robert Wickens won his maiden victory on merit but as he finished second on the road, that is a touch disappointing given that he is yet to win on his own. But that win was deserved as is a chance in F1.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Vitaly Petrov supports DTM premiere in Russia

Former Formula 1 driver Vitaly Petrov supports DTM in his homeland Russia. During the appearance of the most popular international touring car series this weekend in the Moscow City Racing event, Petrov will drive a DTM Race Taxi. And he also will be on site when DTM will contest the sixth round of its season at the Moscow Raceway (02nd to 04th August). There, Petrov will - inter alia - once again drive a Race Taxi.

In the meanwhile traditional Moscow City Racing, a spectacular two-day motor-racing event held right in front of the Kremlin walls, just two weeks before the maiden DTM race ion Russian soil, the series will be represented by big names: DTM Championship leader Mike Rockenfeller (Audi), Andy Priaulx (BMW) and former DTM driver Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes-Benz), who is extremely popular in Russia, will not only join Petrov at a press conference to answer all the questions of the Russian media representatives around DTM but also will be available for the fans during autographing sessions.

The highlights, however, definitely will be the demonstration runs on Saturday and Sunday with an Audi RS 5 DTM, a BMW M3 DTM and a DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé on the 3.7-kilometre track. On Sunday, Petrov will replace Schumacher at the wheel of the DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, thus becoming the first Russian to drive a DTM car. “I’m thrilled by my cooperation with DTM,” said Petrov, to then address the Russian fans: “You definitely should attend the race from 02nd to 04th August. And who knows if you won’t be one of the lucky ones to win a lap with me on the Moscow Raceway.” Petrov was the first Russian Formula 1 driver and contested a total of 57 GP, from 2010 to 2012.

In the past years, the Moscow City Racing event has become a kind of tradition, in the Russian Capital. The sixth edition, in 2012, attracted and thrilled 300,000 visitors. The visitors will have the chance of getting very close to the DTM cars and witnessing them in action - and the same applies to numerous other racing cars, such as several Formula 1 cars and the mighty Kamaz race trucks used in the Dakar Rally. Having completed a first stint on Saturday, the DTM cars will be out on the track even three times, on Sunday
-*:-
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Jocke1 wrote:18.07.2013
Vitaly Petrov supports DTM premiere in Russia

Former Formula 1 driver Vitaly Petrov supports DTM in his homeland Russia. During the appearance of the most popular international touring car series this weekend in the Moscow City Racing event, Petrov will drive a DTM Race Taxi. And he also will be on site when DTM will contest the sixth round of its season at the Moscow Raceway (02nd to 04th August). There, Petrov will - inter alia - once again drive a Race Taxi.

In the meanwhile traditional Moscow City Racing, a spectacular two-day motor-racing event held right in front of the Kremlin walls, just two weeks before the maiden DTM race ion Russian soil, the series will be represented by big names: DTM Championship leader Mike Rockenfeller (Audi), Andy Priaulx (BMW) and former DTM driver Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes-Benz), who is extremely popular in Russia, will not only join Petrov at a press conference to answer all the questions of the Russian media representatives around DTM but also will be available for the fans during autographing sessions.

The highlights, however, definitely will be the demonstration runs on Saturday and Sunday with an Audi RS 5 DTM, a BMW M3 DTM and a DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé on the 3.7-kilometre track. On Sunday, Petrov will replace Schumacher at the wheel of the DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé, thus becoming the first Russian to drive a DTM car. “I’m thrilled by my cooperation with DTM,” said Petrov, to then address the Russian fans: “You definitely should attend the race from 02nd to 04th August. And who knows if you won’t be one of the lucky ones to win a lap with me on the Moscow Raceway.” Petrov was the first Russian Formula 1 driver and contested a total of 57 GP, from 2010 to 2012.

In the past years, the Moscow City Racing event has become a kind of tradition, in the Russian Capital. The sixth edition, in 2012, attracted and thrilled 300,000 visitors. The visitors will have the chance of getting very close to the DTM cars and witnessing them in action - and the same applies to numerous other racing cars, such as several Formula 1 cars and the mighty Kamaz race trucks used in the Dakar Rally. Having completed a first stint on Saturday, the DTM cars will be out on the track even three times, on Sunday

Dear God, Vitaly in DTM?

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The DTM event calendar has been released, and I don't like it but there is one thing that's noteworthy.

DTM will race in 2014 for the first time at the Hungaroring (!)

Might there be a job opportunity opening up for one of that country's greatest drivers, this website's hero, former Minardi F1 driver HWNSNBM?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Another news that caught my eye was mention of driver having certain surname participating DTM finale event in support-class VW Scirocco Cup, but unfortunately his first name turned out to be Felix.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Bleu wrote:Another news that caught my eye was mention of driver having certain surname participating DTM finale event in support-class VW Scirocco Cup, but unfortunately his first name turned out to be Felix.

I got a little excited when i saw the autosport headline. I really thought it was HWNSNBM for a moment but i'll take that as well.

Here's the article
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110680
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Bleu wrote:Another news that caught my eye was mention of driver having certain surname participating DTM finale event in support-class VW Scirocco Cup, but unfortunately his first name turned out to be Felix.

I got a little excited when i saw the autosport headline. I really thought it was HWNSNBM for a moment but i'll take that as well.

You weren't the only one who was anticipating it to be The One Whose Name Attracts Papayas When Uttered (TOWNAPWU).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

You weren't the only one who was anticipating it to be The One Whose Name Attracts Papayas When Uttered (TOWNAPWU).

I like TOWNAPWU a lot, it's much easier to pronounce than HWNSNBM.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Yannick wrote:The DTM event calendar has been released, and I don't like it but there is one thing that's noteworthy.

DTM will race in 2014 for the first time at the Hungaroring (!)

Might there be a job opportunity opening up for one of that country's greatest drivers, this website's hero, former Minardi F1 driver HWNSNBM?

DTM has already raced there in 1988. ;)

I don't like the 2014 schedule either. A self-proclaimed "Europe's top series" needs to have at least 14 races in Europe. But even with BMW on board, the series doesn't go anywhere (In fact, it declines!), because the manufacturers don't want to spend more money on the series. But if they keep that attitude, DTM will always be the bush league among European racing series.
MIA SAN MIA!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Yannick wrote:The DTM event calendar has been released, and I don't like it but there is one thing that's noteworthy.

No race at Brands Hatch. Booooo!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:

No race at Brands Hatch. Booooo!

Or even anywhere in Britain - not Rockingham, not Silverstone, not Donington Park... :(
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I reckon DTM should have about 12 rounds of the following mix:

6 German round + 1 further round in a German speaking country (i.e. Austria/Switzerland)
1 Benelux round
1 French round
1 British round
1 Mediterranean round
1 Eastern European round

In terms of the rest of the world, V8 Supercars should be covering Asia (say Japan + one other Asian country) and NASCAR should be covering the Americas (say Canada, Mexico + one South American country).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:In terms of the rest of the world, V8 Supercars should be covering Asia (say Japan + one other Asian country) and NASCAR should be covering the Americas (say Canada, Mexico + one South American country).

In the same way, IndyCar should be a worldwide series to rival F1 but with an American bias, in the same way F1 is worldwide but with a traditionally Eurpoean bias.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Former F1 Driver Timo Glock wins his first race since 2007 at the DTM Finale in Hockenheim with a perfectly judged race in wet conditions

ROTR is Daniel Juncadella for pulling an Idiotic move on Mattias Ekstrom which cost him a podium finish because he copped a penalty
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

I haven't posted on this forum for a while, but now, for me, it seems like a good time to start again.

TIMO!!

I still miss him in F1, but at least he's not failing in DTM.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

14 Hundred Hours wrote:I still miss him in F1, but at least he's not failing in DTM.

Oh, don't get that wrong, he still is. This win means little which is proven by Mehri off all people (think Pastor Maldonado, only without the talent) finishing two seconds behind him. If not for Sunday and Brands Hatch, his debut season would have been literally pointless and pathetic.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Klon wrote:
14 Hundred Hours wrote:I still miss him in F1, but at least he's not failing in DTM.

Oh, don't get that wrong, he still is. This win means little which is proven by Mehri off all people (think Pastor Maldonado, only without the talent) finishing two seconds behind him. If not for Sunday and Brands Hatch, his debut season would have been literally pointless and pathetic.

Beg to differ, Merhi is a rotten qualifier, but he is a forceful racer, amongst other things. Although probably the worst of the Mercedes drivers, he certainly isn't among the worst in the field, which just goes to show how incredible Mercedes's powerhouse lineup was this season.

UncreativeUsername37

DTM's talent level edges ever more closely to F1....
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

For me, this pretty much confirms that di Resta and Sutil are safe at Force India.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Same with Alguersuari. DTM isn't that bad of an option, to be honest...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Not entirely. Could yet do a di Resta or an Albers....
MCard LOLA