Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Jocke1 wrote:Paul di Resta should go to Nascar.

Once you go into a high-level non-NASCAR series, you permanently lock yourself into an inability to be good at NASCAR, and vice versa.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

F1 needs more interviews where the driver can say what he likes about the team rather than being turned into a dull and boring robot
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:F1 needs more interviews where the driver can say what he likes about the team rather than being turned into a dull and boring robot

While it would be good to see drivers expressing a bit more freedom in their interviews instead of the constant 'the team this, the team that', a driver turning up and moaning about the team all the time isn't very helpful to the situation, and it's disrespectful too.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:a driver turning up and moaning about the team all the time isn't very helpful to the situation, and it's disrespectful too.

I think that sums up a certan Scottsman quite well :lol:
so does this
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:F1 needs more interviews where the driver can say what he likes about the team rather than being turned into a dull and boring robot

Absolutely agree, though Pasta is also right that just bitching isn't helpful either. I always turn off an interview the minute they say 'for sure'.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

SgtPepper wrote:

Absolutely agree, though Pasta is also right that just bitching isn't helpful either. I always turn off an interview the minute they say 'for sure'.

That;s what i was trying to say. They shouldn't be slagging the team off a la Di Resta but I just want to hear something more than the usual phrases like "for sure" and "the team" and in Nico Rosberg's case "In general"
UncreativeUsername37

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

That;s what i was trying to say. They shouldn't be slagging the team off a la Di Resta but I just want to hear something more than the usual phrases like "for sure" and "the team" and in Nico Rosberg's case "In general"

For sure, it was not so good, but it's the same for everyone and we'll focus on the next race.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

In general? I've never noticed that one, need to look out for it. Just came across this while trying to find a good example of a dull interview that bothered me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc-I - slightly Di Resta-esque? At the end of the day F1 (to be honest virtually everything in life actually) is simply becoming too sanitised, with Webber's penalty being an extremely good case-in-point. This is why drivers like Kimi or Webber continue to be the most popular on the grid, because they actually have personalities.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

SgtPepper wrote:In general? I've never noticed that one, need to look out for it. Just came across this while trying to find a good example of a dull interview that bothered me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc-I - slightly Di Resta-esque? At the end of the day F1 (to be honest virtually everything in life actually) is simply becoming too sanitised, with Webber's penalty being an extremely good case-in-point. This is why drivers like Kimi or Webber continue to be the most popular on the grid, because they actually have personalities.

He said it in the Monaco press conference last year
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

SgtPepper wrote:In general? I've never noticed that one, need to look out for it. Just came across this while trying to find a good example of a dull interview that bothered me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc-I - slightly Di Resta-esque? At the end of the day F1 (to be honest virtually everything in life actually) is simply becoming too sanitised, with Webber's penalty being an extremely good case-in-point. This is why drivers like Kimi or Webber continue to be the most popular on the grid, because they actually have personalities.

My opinion is that all of the drivers have a personality, it's just that they are not willing to use for the sake of their own jobs being on the line or something like that.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

F1 needs harsh budget cut among the top teams to allow for less pay drivers and more talented drivers like Frijns and Wickens.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

UncreativeUsername37

roblomas52 wrote:F1 needs harsh budget cut among the top teams to allow for less pay drivers and more talented drivers like Frijns and Wickens.

The top teams already hire talented people. Restricting budgets to midfield levels won't change the backmarkers, as they'll still have backmarker-appropriate budgets.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:F1 needs harsh budget cut among the top teams to allow for less pay drivers and more talented drivers like Frijns and Wickens.

The top teams already hire talented people. Restricting budgets to midfield levels won't change the backmarkers, as they'll still have backmarker-appropriate budgets.

But, what if the teams with less cash got more design freedoms.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

roblomas52 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:The top teams already hire talented people. Restricting budgets to midfield levels won't change the backmarkers, as they'll still have backmarker-appropriate budgets.

That won't work, because the cash-strapped teams wouldn't have the money to utilise their design freedoms.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Nuppiz wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:The top teams already hire talented people. Restricting budgets to midfield levels won't change the backmarkers, as they'll still have backmarker-appropriate budgets.

That won't work, because the cash-strapped teams wouldn't have the money to utilise their design freedoms.

That was the weird part about the budget cap, if it had gone through. Teams who signed up for it were allowed movable aero, more power KERS that could be used longer per lap, 4-wheel drive, etc. Seems epic on paper. I actually was originally for the cap for this very reason, and because it was optional. But the only teams who signed up were USF1, Campos (HRT), Manor (Marussia), and Lotus (Catherham) and maybe Williams? But aside from Williams, which one of those teams would actually be able to develop those technologies they were allowed to? So it seemed kinda pointless to me.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Nuppiz wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

Which means the only teams who can realistically profited would have been midfielders, but even their budgets now are a little precarious, which adds to the pathetic current state F1 is in right now.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Nuppiz wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

That won't work, because the cash-strapped teams wouldn't have the money to utilise their design freedoms.[/quote]
And even if it did, the budget might not allow the teams to sustain that for long periods of time.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Mark Webbers career has fizzled out quite embarrassingly and its a good thing he's quitting at the end of 2013.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:Mark Webbers career has fizzled out quite embarrassingly and its a good thing he's quitting at the end of 2013.

I blame his completely biased team personally.
Edit: 1500th post :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

CoopsII wrote:Mark Webbers career has fizzled out quite embarrassingly and its a good thing he's quitting at the end of 2013.

I wouldn't really consider it 'embarrassing,' the guys been fighting an uphill battle, and since Pirelli came in in 2011 he hasn't really been able to gel with these tyres. As much as I'll miss him greatly, this era really isn't for him anymore.

It's a shame though.

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I really don't want Barrichello to return to F1. Ever.

And he hung up his helmet about 4 years later than he should've done really.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I really don't want Barrichello to return to F1. Ever.

And he hung up his helmet about 4 years later than he should've done really.

My username, man :P

He hung up the helmet too late, but I think he could be good for Sauber, as he is rumored to go next year, as Rubens gives great technical feedback, and he would a good development driver. As long as he gets some cash, I think it should be a done deal.

Or is my head clogged with sinuses again :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I want Takuma Sato to return to F1.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Pretty much this. It's no wonder the team backs Vettel over Webber -- Vettel has more years ahead of him than Webber does, and is faster than Webber ever could have been. Why wouldn't they pick Vettel?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Cynon wrote:

Pretty much this. It's no wonder the team backs Vettel over Webber -- Vettel has more years ahead of him than Webber does, and is faster than Webber ever could have been. Why wouldn't they pick Vettel?

Because Vettel already has the title sewn up. Sure, it's not mathematically certain, but it's pretty obvious that even with Seb retiring in every race from now on, Alonso won't win the four of them. So why prefer Vettel over Webber when it's not necessary anymore? Give Mark a farewell victory. The Japanese Grand Prix was the perfect opportunity for Red Bull to finally give Mark the better strategy, simply because he was faster than Vettel throughout the whole race. So why didn't they? Because Vettel's ego.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Romain Grosjean is the real deal, and if the 2014 Lotus is up to it, he will take the fight to Vettel.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:Romain Grosjean is the real deal, and if the 2014 Lotus is up to it, he will take the fight to Vettel.

Couldn't be less unpopular with me. :P That's if Lotus can get it together and Suzuka today proved they absolutely cannot at present.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Salamander wrote:Romain Grosjean is the real deal, and if the 2014 Lotus is up to it, he will take the fight to Vettel.

I actually agree because the difference in his driving from last year to this year has been like night and day.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

roblomas52 wrote:

I actually agree because the difference in his driving from last year to this year has been like night and day.

Me too I agree.
He's really fast and he's showing this year he's not doing mistakes anymore.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I think Grosjean and Hülkenberg are the best drivers who haven't been champions yet. Ferrari, you chose the wrong Lotus driver.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

I completely concur. He seems to have finally discovered that performance consistency imperative for assembling title challenges, and he appears to have lost none of his prodigious speed. His present form is a stark contrast from the ignominy of 2012.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

kevinbotz wrote:His present form is a stark contrast from the ignominy of 2012.

And the start of this year, having driven slowly to avoid incidents. In Australia and China he was anonymous from decent grid positions and he got eliminated in Q2 in Bahrain. Then of course there was Monaco.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

You sir, are my new favourite forum member! :P

Unpopulare opinion time: Massa doesn't deserve a drive for next season
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

You sir, are my new favourite forum member! :P

Unpopulare opinion time: Massa doesn't deserve a drive for next season

Yeah Massa's time in the spotlight has come and gone he just doesn't have that raw speed anymore bar a couple of golden moments and like Alonso and Raikkonen age isn't on his side (He is 32). Be great to see him try and help Felipe Nasr get into F1 at sometime soon
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

tommykl wrote:So why prefer Vettel over Webber when it's not necessary anymore? Give Mark a farewell victory. The Japanese Grand Prix was the perfect opportunity for Red Bull to finally give Mark the better strategy, simply because he was faster than Vettel throughout the whole race. So why didn't they? Because Vettel's ego.

:lol: Give him a farewell victory? Wow, how patronising would that be? Also, even though he's not the force he once undoubtedly was, surely Wibbah would rather earn a last victory rather than be allowed one?

Sebastian Vettel beat everyone in Japan. Again. He didnt need smoke and mirrors to do it either. Again.
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Unpopulare opinion time: Massa doesn't deserve a drive for next season

I'd like to see Massa in the Sauber next year, but it would be a travesty if he got the Lotus seat instead Hulk.

CoopsII wrote:
tommykl wrote:So why prefer Vettel over Webber when it's not necessary anymore? Give Mark a farewell victory. The Japanese Grand Prix was the perfect opportunity for Red Bull to finally give Mark the better strategy, simply because he was faster than Vettel throughout the whole race. So why didn't they? Because Vettel's ego.

:lol: Give him a farewell victory? Wow, how patronising would that be? Also, even though he's not the force he once undoubtedly was, surely Wibbah would rather earn a last victory rather than be allowed one?

Sebastian Vettel beat everyone in Japan. Again. He didnt need smoke and mirrors to do it either. Again.

I think he meant be given an equal strategy, rather than be 'gifted' one.

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

CoopsII wrote:

Especially after pit strategy removed Grosjean from the picture.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Unpopulare opinion time: Massa doesn't deserve a drive for next season

I've been saying this since 2011.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

CoopsII wrote:

The team gave Webber Malaysia but Vettel wanted to race -- and any proper racing driver would have gone for the win as well. Race wins aren't supposed to be gifted to people, they're supposed to be earned. Certain Ferrari shenanigans should say enough about that.

If anything, the team gifting Webber his last win would be the biggest kick in the balls ever, because, effectively, his very last win would mean nothing.

As for putting Webber on the better strategy... he chews up tires more than Vettel does, so putting him on a three stop strategy was the way to go. He would not have been able to handle the two-stop. If Red Bull put both on three stop strategies, we would be celebrating Grosjean's maiden Grand Prix victory.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

To be honest, I half wonder if Webber should have retired a couple of years ago rather than now - it's been clear that he has become increasingly disheartened with the direction that the sport has been taking in the past few years, and I would not be surprised if a certain amount of his decline in form can be attributed to that sense of dejection.

Cynon wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

The team gave Webber Malaysia but Vettel wanted to race -- and any proper racing driver would have gone for the win as well. Race wins aren't supposed to be gifted to people, they're supposed to be earned. Certain Ferrari shenanigans should say enough about that.

If anything, the team gifting Webber his last win would be the biggest kick in the balls ever, because, effectively, his very last win would mean nothing.

As for putting Webber on the better strategy... he chews up tires more than Vettel does, so putting him on a three stop strategy was the way to go. He would not have been able to handle the two-stop. If Red Bull put both on three stop strategies, we would be celebrating Grosjean's maiden Grand Prix victory.

It's a bit like Berger in 1991 when Senna gifted him victory in the Japanese GP - it looked like a kind gesture to outside observers, but IIRC Berger himself actually felt that it was somewhat demeaning and insulting (i.e. that Senna was telling him that he could only win if he allowed him to win). I think that Webber would probably have a similar sense of pride - he'd probably find it preferable to be beaten by Vettel, but having given him a hard time and having done his utmost himself to win, rather than being gifted a victory by the team as a parting reward.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"