2013 "There's no Kobayashi" Japan Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2013 "There's no Kobayashi" Japan Grand Prix

Post by Jocke1 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: I'm giving a nomination to Rachel1990 for underestimating Max Chilton's mega talent

rachel1990 wrote: now I WILL JUST NOMINATE FREEZE O KIMI FOR THE SAME THING1!!!!!

http://youtu.be/9QGQtJL7hSk
-*:-
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Qualifying quotes:

Nico Hulkenberg
Compared to yesterday, the wind changed so we had a tail wind on the straights and this makes you really quick.
That means we have a head wind in sector one, which gives you a lot of grip.

Max Chilton
The track conditions had also shifted in that time and the wind made things more difficult in sector one for sure.

:shock:
mario

Post by mario »

Jocke1 wrote:Qualifying quotes:

Nico Hulkenberg
Compared to yesterday, the wind changed so we had a tail wind on the straights and this makes you really quick.
That means we have a head wind in sector one, which gives you a lot of grip.

Max Chilton
The track conditions had also shifted in that time and the wind made things more difficult in sector one for sure.

:shock:

To be fair, both quotes can have a certain amount of truth to them - the tail wind on the straights would upset the balance of the car on the entry phase to the first corner, but, through the faster complex of corners that follow, the change to a head wind would have some benefit. It's also possible that, due to the relative difference in development between Sauber's and Marussia's cars, that the Marussia is more sensitive to cross winds than Hulkenberg's car, so it might have had a more noticeable negative impact for Chilton rather than Hulkenberg.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Pic handed drive-through penalty
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15097.html

Caterham's Charles Pic has been issued with a drive-through penalty for Sunday's 2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix for passing through a red light at the pit exit during the first part of qualifying in Suzuka.
The stewards found that Pic, who already had a 10-place grid penalty for picking up his third reprimand of the season in Korea, exited the pit lane five seconds after the light had turned red - a contravention of article 31.3 of the sporting regulations.

"Car #20 crossed the pit exit line at 14:17:10. The red light was at 14:17:05,” read the stewards’ report.
"It is noted this is the second consecutive event in which the driver has driven through a red light."

Pic must serve his drive-through penalty within the first five laps of Sunday’s race.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:My ROTQ goes to Ferrari's 2014 drivers, Kimi and Alonso, for being completely outpaced by your team mates + Hulkenberg.

Also, Rosberg was clearly frustrated when he see your lap time.

I'm giving a nomination to Rachel1990 for underestimating Max Chilton's mega talent and future world champion status. (I've been waiting to do that since i accepted the ChiltonCraze)

But yeah Ferrari were poor and Hulk has probably sewn up a Lotus Drive if he hasn't done already. Also Jean-Eric Vergne's luck and Adrian Sutil deserve nominations too.

IIDOTQ: Chilton Nuff Said :mrgreen:

I was going to make a comment this afternoon about Chilton managing to finally to beat bianchi but now I WILL JUST NOMINATE FREEZE O KIMI FOR THE SAME THING1!!!!!

It's just sarcasm Rachel. In reality we all know Max Chilton isn't going to be a world champion and might only get 1 more season if he keeps the money. I got lambasted for saying exactly what you said about Chilton (CHILTONLASTLOL) and saying that he wasn't talent so anyone who doesn't think he's talent gets the same.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Jocke1 wrote:Pic handed drive-through penalty
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15097.html

Caterham's Charles Pic has been issued with a drive-through penalty for Sunday's 2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix for passing through a red light at the pit exit during the first part of qualifying in Suzuka.
The stewards found that Pic, who already had a 10-place grid penalty for picking up his third reprimand of the season in Korea, exited the pit lane five seconds after the light had turned red - a contravention of article 31.3 of the sporting regulations.

"Car #20 crossed the pit exit line at 14:17:10. The red light was at 14:17:05,” read the stewards’ report.
"It is noted this is the second consecutive event in which the driver has driven through a red light."

Pic must serve his drive-through penalty within the first five laps of Sunday’s race.

Fair enough - He can hardly be punished by sending him to the back of the grid since A- He would be there anyway and B- he already had a '10' (SIGH) place grid.
If Pic thinks its funny it really isn't since the team desperately needs a 12th place
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

TheBigJ wrote:

What's weird about that vid is the awful commentary right up to the point Alonso arse-rapes Schumi, just a classic piece of commentary that sticks into my mind...

The commentators were Maurice Hamilton (the author of the ridiculously expensive McLaren: 50 years book), Ian Phillips (a Jordan man) and Ant Davidson, the only true professional of the three.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Right

Sunday could see a change for once in a race winner-
While Webber is still on pole you have to remember that A- He is running out of engines and B he never has a good start anyway- BUT it will be unlikely that we see any team orders this weekend because I highly doubt Red Bull will want that publicity/Vettel wouldn't want to win it that way/Mark wouldn't listen. I still believe that a Red Bull will not win this weekend.

Everytime you think Mercedes are going to do well at the moment BANG our old friends the tyres issues will come up. Maybe a Mercedes will get on the podium but don't hold your breath.

I still believe Romain Grosjean will win this GP. He is in a prime stop with Mercedes Tyre issues, Vettel's KERS and Webber's usual misfortune to do well. If only Kimi could improve quali then he could fight for wins.

The Hulk (I cannot believe I am saying this) needs ANOTHER good weekend. Could a Podium be on the cards?? you never know. Hopefully in the same car Gutierrez will get a point or two.

Ferrari cannot be embarrassed by Sauber again- They are losing too much ground to Mercedes and Maybe even Lotus??? What has happened to Alonso in quali?? another dreadful result. Massa is driving for his future and maybe Sauber isn't such a bad idea after all?

Mclaren are in dead mans land. Stuck in 5th now and no-one to compete with apart from the Hulk. Yes a few points but if someone happens at the top a podium isn't as far away as they think....

On the other hand there is Force India- They must be grateful that Toro Rosso have fallen off the pace. Another Double DNF weekend was not what VJ ordered and Di resta in particular must MUST have a points (note the plural) weekend to keep his drive alive- Sutil not getting out of Q1 is embarrassing for the team and takes them back to the dark days of 2009 when they were the slowest team.

Toro Rosso have fallen off the pace that last few races- No points AGAIN in Korea has let Sauber overtake them in the constructors. Japan is unlikely to change things will both cars looking pretty dire.

Talking of which- Give Williams there due- they out qualified both Toro Rossos and could be outside bets for a point or two. Bottas looks more sharp than Maldonado and could be fighting with Gutierrez for the last few points. Tasty!!

Chilton out qualified Bianchi on Merit (without the ten place drop) Chilton knows he is fighting... Who Am I kidding- If his dad pays more money he will be in f1 next year. Hopefully Marussia can have a great race and do Maria proud.

Caterham have not done themselves any favours this weekend. Pic is almost favourite to come last know because of the drive through and Van De Garde needed to get ahead of Chilton to have at least a prayer of getting that magical 12th place- But it still could happen.

So as I mentioned before I think Grosjean will be this weekends winner with his ( Hopefully) future teammate the hulk joining him on the podium- Which means Vettel won't be world Champion officially this weekend. How typical he will probably get it at everyones favourite track India !!!

I just hope its a good clean race.

For Maria.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:Right

Sunday could see a change for once in a race winner-
While Webber is still on pole you have to remember that A- He is running out of engines and B he never has a good start anyway- BUT it will be unlikely that we see any team orders this weekend because I highly doubt Red Bull will want that publicity/Vettel wouldn't want to win it that way/Mark wouldn't listen. I still believe that a Red Bull will not win this weekend.

Everytime you think Mercedes are going to do well at the moment BANG our old friends the tyres issues will come up. Maybe a Mercedes will get on the podium but don't hold your breath.

I still believe Romain Grosjean will win this GP. He is in a prime stop with Mercedes Tyre issues, Vettel's KERS and Webber's usual misfortune to do well. If only Kimi could improve quali then he could fight for wins.

The Hulk (I cannot believe I am saying this) needs ANOTHER good weekend. Could a Podium be on the cards?? you never know. Hopefully in the same car Gutierrez will get a point or two.

Ferrari cannot be embarrassed by Sauber again- They are losing too much ground to Mercedes and Maybe even Lotus??? What has happened to Alonso in quali?? another dreadful result. Massa is driving for his future and maybe Sauber isn't such a bad idea after all?

Mclaren are in dead mans land. Stuck in 5th now and no-one to compete with apart from the Hulk. Yes a few points but if someone happens at the top a podium isn't as far away as they think....

On the other hand there is Force India- They must be grateful that Toro Rosso have fallen off the pace. Another Double DNF weekend was not what VJ ordered and Di resta in particular must MUST have a points (note the plural) weekend to keep his drive alive- Sutil not getting out of Q1 is embarrassing for the team and takes them back to the dark days of 2009 when they were the slowest team.

Toro Rosso have fallen off the pace that last few races- No points AGAIN in Korea has let Sauber overtake them in the constructors. Japan is unlikely to change things will both cars looking pretty dire.

Talking of which- Give Williams there due- they out qualified both Toro Rossos and could be outside bets for a point or two. Bottas looks more sharp than Maldonado and could be fighting with Gutierrez for the last few points. Tasty!!

Chilton out qualified Bianchi on Merit (without the ten place drop) Chilton knows he is fighting... Who Am I kidding- If his dad pays more money he will be in f1 next year. Hopefully Marussia can have a great race and do Maria proud.

Caterham have not done themselves any favours this weekend. Pic is almost favourite to come last know because of the drive through and Van De Garde needed to get ahead of Chilton to have at least a prayer of getting that magical 12th place- But it still could happen.

So as I mentioned before I think Grosjean will be this weekends winner with his ( Hopefully) future teammate the hulk joining him on the podium- Which means Vettel won't be world Champion officially this weekend. How typical he will probably get it at everyones favourite track India !!!

I just hope its a good clean race.

For Maria.

Rosberg has stated he has sacrificed qualifying speed for the race so we must wait to see if that's right. I find it a mixture of amusement and shock that Mercedes's tire wear issues mostly seem to affect Lewis only (Spain and Korea for instance). It could be to do with Lewis's driving style as he one of those flat out kind of racers that chews the tires. I hope both Grosjean and Hulkenberg have solid races and the Caterham/Marussia fight has an extra twist to it as well
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm the one who finds Pic's penalty wrong? It was an incident during the qualify and the best thing is punishing him in qualify, or at least, in the next qualify.

Also, I hope Mark gets a good start, because he always play tough with Vettel. We could see another Sepang battle.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm the one who finds Pic's penalty wrong? It was an incident during the qualify and the best thing is punishing him in qualify, or at least, in the next qualify.

The fact that the DTP is given to him before the race even begins is showing once again how ridiculous the stewarding and penalty system is getting. Pic also got a pre-race time penalty in Singapore last year didn't he?

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I'm the one who finds Pic's penalty wrong? It was an incident during the qualify and the best thing is punishing him in qualify, or at least, in the next qualify.

The fact that the DTP is given to him before the race even begins is showing once again how ridiculous the stewarding and penalty system is getting. Pic also got a pre-race time penalty in Singapore last year didn't he?

He did indeed receive a pre race time penalty for passing another driver during a red flag period in the final practise session.

It is harsh, but I can see some logic to what the stewards are doing - Pic will already start from the back of the grid due to a grid penalty earned for the very action he is now being reprimanded for and there probably was not enough time for the stewards to apply a penalty during the qualifying session itself. It's not entirely satisfactory, but I can see why the stewards would want to apply a harsher penalty during the same event where he breached that regulation.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

He did indeed receive a pre race time penalty for passing another driver during a red flag period in the final practise session.

It is harsh, but I can see some logic to what the stewards are doing - Pic will already start from the back of the grid due to a grid penalty earned for the very action he is now being reprimanded for and there probably was not enough time for the stewards to apply a penalty during the qualifying session itself. It's not entirely satisfactory, but I can see why the stewards would want to apply a harsher penalty during the same event where he breached that regulation.

Agreed, there is no point letting Pic get away with it by applying an ineffectual penalty for a clear rule breach.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:
mario wrote:It is harsh, but I can see some logic to what the stewards are doing - Pic will already start from the back of the grid due to a grid penalty earned for the very action he is now being reprimanded for and there probably was not enough time for the stewards to apply a penalty during the qualifying session itself. It's not entirely satisfactory, but I can see why the stewards would want to apply a harsher penalty during the same event where he breached that regulation.

Agreed, there is no point letting Pic get away with it by applying an ineffectual penalty for a clear rule breach.

OK, I understand the meaning of the penalty and it is justified. But the main reason why I was annoyed is that this appears to be yet another type of penalty being introduced and I believe that this kind of penalty has existed only since last year. The FIA just keep on finding new penalties for drivers. Can't they just stick to a reasonable list?! Imagine how chaotic races would have been in the old days if these penalties existed back then!

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

good_Ralf wrote: The commentators were Maurice Hamilton, Ian Phillips and Ant Davidson, the only true professional of the three.

I disagree. I used to love listening to Maurice and Ian's post-race show 'Guardian Unlimited: The Formula One Show', back in 07-08.
Phillips was a Spyker man at the time. They were always knowledgeable, had great behind-the-scenes-insight into the teams and drivers and
had a little bit of humour as well.

Ok, their favoritism for U.K. drivers sometimes shone through quite a bit, but seeing as I'm not that interested
in favouring nations, either for or against, I didn't mind their periodic patriotism.
It was hilarious, though, how they frequently scolded Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli for being too old and too slow.

I miss that show actually. I still have all the episodes from '07, but all '08 episodes are lost however. :(
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Am I the only one that thinks a grid penalty should still apply even if you qualify at the back? The cars should be lining up in 30th and 26th or whatever it works out to.

Obviously it's not as much of a penalty because last is still last (and you'll catch up on the pack with the cars all banked up pretty quickly), but it'd still actually penalise the backmarkers. At the moment, someone who qualifies last can effectively change their gearbox for free.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

AustralianStig wrote:Am I the only one that thinks a grid penalty should still apply even if you qualify at the back? The cars should be lining up in 30th and 26th or whatever it works out to.

That would be awesome at Monaco.
21 drivers starts the race as normal on the start/finish straight. And one penalized driver starts at Rascasse. :lol:

Ted's Qualifying Notebook today was one of the best ever in my opinion.
Did anyone else see that fan dressed up as the Stig? Just randomly walking with a B.A.R fan.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

ImageImageImage
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Charles Pic
You don't have to look at the red light
Your team will tell you
At least I rather think they might

Chaaaarles Pic
You don't have to drive that car tonight
On the track for money
You don't know if it's left or right

Chaaarles Pic
Chaaaaaaarles Pic

Charles Pic! (Look at the red light!)

And so on and so forth...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Ataxia wrote:Charles Pic
Your team will tell you
At least I rather think they might

Chaaaarles Pic
You don't have to drive that car tonight
On the track for money
You don't know if it's left or right

Chaaarles Pic
Chaaaaaaarles Pic

Charles Pic! (Look at the red light!)

And so on and so forth...

You sir, are awesome. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

*Marks out for Picxanne*
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Race about to go. Hope Webbeh get a great start
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I predict... a Vettel-Webber-Hamilton podium.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Big crash at the first turn... Van der Garde and Bianchi.

Trouble for Hamilton.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Go, Romain, go!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

What a start from Grosjean :shock:

What a fail from Hamilton with that puncture :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

GROSJEANWINSLOL? I'm very much OK with this. :mrgreen:

Looks like it's gonna be a long afternoon for Vettel and Hamilton. Both are really struggling out there.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Hamilton is out.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Biggest train since the trulli era, but awesome from Hulkenberg!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Choo choo.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

"Multi 3" for Webber.. whatever that means.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Dear oh dear, speeding in the pit-lane, massively reject worthy!!

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Webber screwed on strategy, just like I predicted.

Disgusting.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

SgtPepper wrote:Webber screwed on strategy, just like I predicted.

Disgusting.

No, take off your fanboy glasses por favor.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

apple2009 wrote:

Disgusting.

Are you actually watching the race, por favor?
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

SgtPepper wrote:
apple2009 wrote:

Disgusting.

Are you actually watching the race, por favor?

¡Sí!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Booooooooooooooooo get out Wibbah. :evil:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Great drive from Vettel to make this strategy work, he had some help from Grosjean's awesome driving but can't take that away from him. Webber will be disappointed but still a great drive to second, also props to sauber double points finish, Button did well to overturn a truly awful first two stints to nab 9th and also big props to Hulkenberg, once again outdriving the machinery and definitely showing size does not bloody matter!

:lol: Jenson has been teaching the Japanese to Vettel it would seem!

Whoa!! Talk about driving to the end, not sure Maldonado's finish will be technically legal but entertaining!

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

sswishbone wrote:Great drive from Vettel to make this strategy work, he had some help from Grosjean's awesome driving but can't take that away from him.
'

Yeah. Great drive from Vettel, hope he keeps it up so he can take Schumacher's name out of the record books. He just took him out of the Most Career Points (a stupid stat anyway) total, so that's 1 down and many more to go!!

sswishbone wrote:...also big props to Hulkenberg, once again outdriving the machinery and definitely showing size does not bloody matter!

It's not about size, it's about how you use the car! :P
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Cynon wrote:
sswishbone wrote:Great drive from Vettel to make this strategy work, he had some help from Grosjean's awesome driving but can't take that away from him.
'

Yeah. Great drive from Vettel, hope he keeps it up so he can take Schumacher's name out of the record books. He just took him out of the Most Career Points (a stupid stat anyway) total, so that's 1 down and many more to go!!

Only it was Alonso who took that record, not Vettel :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?