The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Svenko Wankerov

Re: The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I have no problem with Di Resta's driving because to be fair he has come the closest of the drivers outside of the top 4 teams to score a podium. I wouldn't mind him getting a few podiums (as long as Vettel and Hamilton aren't 1st and 2nd or if Vettel wins on his own) because he has enough speed to do it

My problem with Di Resta is when something goes wrong whether It's his fault or the teams he feels like he's got to blame the team for not doing a good enough job. If he could accept some of his own errors and stop slagging the team off and also showed more charisma then i could accept him as a decent driver

That doesn't totally make a lot of sense.

You've more or less stated in the first section that he's a good driver, yet you'd only be willing to accept him as such if he improves his public relations? I'm sorry to say this, but all Formula 1 driver moans. That's how it is. The only reason you get Di Resta apparently moaning more is that BBC and Sky interview him after each and every session.

Just because someone's a bit grumpy doesn't make them a bad driver. Maybe a bad character perhaps, but it doesn't affect one's driving. I'd agree he's guilty of blaming his team sometimes, but what do you expect when someone's been knocked out of Q1 knowing they can do better? Imagine it; you're a driver in a hot environment and full to the brim of adrenaline. The radio crackles into life only to provide you with "Paul, you're 17th". You're going to be a bit more than disappointed, and you're going to be looking for a reason why.

There's a difference between who's a good driver and who's a good person. Nelson Piquet, for example: top driver, but a dreadful public figure. You can't say somebody's a crap driver just because you don't like them very much.

Get off your high horse already. You complain about drivers being disrespected in just about every thread in this forum, but it's no big deal if team personnel that work just as hard if not harder for less glory gets disrespected in public. Right.

This goes well beyond the in-car radio, it's when there is a microphone in front of him. There is not another modern driver with comparable talent that goes out of the way to throw their teams under the bus like di Resta does, and some of these drivers aren't even being paid their teams right now. Even far more accomplished miserable human beings like Villeneuve and Montoya got tossed to the curb as soon as their diminishing talents were no longer worth the headaches they brought.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I have no problem with Di Resta's driving because to be fair he has come the closest of the drivers outside of the top 4 teams to score a podium. I wouldn't mind him getting a few podiums (as long as Vettel and Hamilton aren't 1st and 2nd or if Vettel wins on his own) because he has enough speed to do it

My problem with Di Resta is when something goes wrong whether It's his fault or the teams he feels like he's got to blame the team for not doing a good enough job. If he could accept some of his own errors and stop slagging the team off and also showed more charisma then i could accept him as a decent driver

That doesn't totally make a lot of sense.

You've more or less stated in the first section that he's a good driver, yet you'd only be willing to accept him as such if he improves his public relations? I'm sorry to say this, but all Formula 1 driver moans. That's how it is. The only reason you get Di Resta apparently moaning more is that BBC and Sky interview him after each and every session.

Just because someone's a bit grumpy doesn't make them a bad driver. Maybe a bad character perhaps, but it doesn't affect one's driving. I'd agree he's guilty of blaming his team sometimes, but what do you expect when someone's been knocked out of Q1 knowing they can do better? Imagine it; you're a driver in a hot environment and full to the brim of adrenaline. The radio crackles into life only to provide you with "Paul, you're 17th". You're going to be a bit more than disappointed, and you're going to be looking for a reason why.

There's a difference between who's a good driver and who's a good person. Nelson Piquet, for example: top driver, but a dreadful public figure. You can't say somebody's a crap driver just because you don't like them very much.

Get off your high horse already. You complain about drivers being disrespected in just about every thread in this forum, but it's no big deal if team personnel that work just as hard if not harder for less glory gets disrespected in public. Right.

This goes well beyond the in-car radio, it's when there is a microphone in front of him. There is not another modern driver with comparable talent that goes out of the way to throw their teams under the bus like di Resta does, and some of these drivers aren't even being paid their teams right now. Even far more accomplished miserable human beings like Villeneuve and Montoya got tossed to the curb as soon as their diminishing talents were no longer worth the headaches they brought.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying that, just that if you say di Resta is a good driver, and then that you won't accept him as such unless he treats his team better, that such a stance is utterly ridiculous. Which it is. Driving talent has nothing at all to do with how nice a person you are. Otherwise, Jenson Button would've probably been hauling his McLaren in contention for wins on a regular basis, in spite of its crappiness.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Get off your high horse already. You complain about drivers being disrespected in just about every thread in this forum

Well, yes. I think every driver deserves at least some defense around here. They're 22 highly-talented drivers who could do a far better job than any of us here...who are we to criticise?

Svenko Wankerov wrote: but it's no big deal if team personnel that work just as hard if not harder for less glory gets disrespected in public. Right.

I don't think I ever said that! In fact, if those were indeed my views then perhaps my degree is a waste of time considering F1 is the end goal for me.

Svenko Wankerov wrote:This goes well beyond the in-car radio, it's when there is a microphone in front of him. There is not another modern driver with comparable talent that goes out of the way to throw their teams under the bus like di Resta does, and some of these drivers aren't even being paid their teams right now. Even far more accomplished miserable human beings like Villeneuve and Montoya got tossed to the curb as soon as their diminishing talents were no longer worth the headaches they brought.

Is that what you really think, or are you doing your best to be controversial? I'd partially agree with Villeneuve, but I'm sure even you know Montoya jumped before he was pushed. Perhaps Di Resta needs to spend a little time with his team to see what the effort for the rest of the team is like, but what I'm saying is that doesn't make him a shitty driver.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Svenko Wankerov

Ataxia wrote:
Well, yes. I think every driver deserves at least some defense around here. They're 22 highly-talented drivers who could do a far better job than any of us here...who are we to criticise?

When was the last time di Resta ran a F1 team or put together a F1 car? Where does he get off criticizing his team then?

Ataxia wrote:Is that what you really think, or are you doing your best to be controversial? I'd partially agree with Villeneuve, but I'm sure even you know Montoya jumped before he was pushed. Perhaps Di Resta needs to spend a little time with his team to see what the effort for the rest of the team is like, but what I'm saying is that doesn't make him a shitty driver.

Montoya was going to jump, but McLaren pushed him by blackballing him into cancelling his contract before he actually did. That's the problem with di Resta: he needs to be a great and not just good talent to not be a shitty driver because of his attitude.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

When was the last time di Resta ran a F1 team or put together a F1 car? Where does he get off criticizing his team then?

Oh, so we're playing this game, are we? Fine, I will oblige...

Usually, one would criticise somebody if one felt that they weren't pulling their weight. Having been left out on old tyres during qualifying in Monaco, then left in the garage in Canada, I think that's reason enough to put the team in for some critique. The team accepted it was their fault, and therefore I don't think it was unjustified, do you?

Having read back through some of his comments, I think that people are too quick to draw the blade when it comes to Di Resta's comments, because a lot of them have been positive about his team (and rightly so).

To answer your question, Di Resta has not run an F1 team OR put together an F1 car. However, every word from his mouth is not a complaint and all of his media comments are not criticisms. He knows that he's got to work for the team in the same way they work for him. Don't think that the team wouldn't tell him to up his game if they thought it was necessary.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Paul di Resta thought he had pole position at Spa for about 53 seconds today.
His face in the pits afterwards, when he realised he hadn't, said it all :lol: .
-*:-
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I was worried what he was going to come out with in his interview when he started by explaining how he overruled the team to go out on inters, but he seemed genuinely pleased with 5th.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Svenko Wankerov

"I was sat in the garage and looking at the screens and the engineers said, 'Everyone else is putting mediums on,' and I said, 'No, everyone is putting umbrellas up, let's try something different.'

"It was my call, I am claiming that one.

"We got out there in optimum track conditions, it was a little wet in sector three, but if we had been out at the end with everyone else, we wouldn't be where we are.

What a twat. :lol:
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
"I was sat in the garage and looking at the screens and the engineers said, 'Everyone else is putting mediums on,' and I said, 'No, everyone is putting umbrellas up, let's try something different.'

"We got out there in optimum track conditions, it was a little wet in sector three, but if we had been out at the end with everyone else, we wouldn't be where we are.

Why? If it was his idea to put intermediates on, that was a brilliant idea from him.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

I remember him saying the first part of that but not the 2nd or 3rd parts, I must have been watching a different interview to you.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Just saw these comments r.e. di Resta on F1 Fanatic and thought 1 or 2 forumites here might just want to give them a read.

@mhop wrote:Oh come on! Seriously what does di Resta have to do to get a compliment on here. He qualifies 5th in Spa and all that you read on here is abuse. Seriously if Bottas had done the same job and come out with the same quotes everyone would be going on about how amazingly talented he is, and so “cool” and “funny” as well.

It’s just a sad reflection on our “celebrity” culture that @todfod @full-throttle-f1 @jackysteeg think they know someone’s personality based on a few media articles, and also think they have the right to judge and character assassinate on this basis.

To all the whiners – today Di Resta has driven a Formula 1 car around Spa competing with the best drivers in the world – you’ve written some moaning, whiny comments on a website – who should be judging who here?

@girts wrote:@mhop I agree with you. No matter how you judge Di Resta’s comments, he did a great job today, outqualified his team mate and made all the right calls. In my opinion, one should show a bit of respect for all F1 drivers and not ridicule their achievements just because of some quotes. I believe that Di Resta is one of the best drivers on the grid and I prefer great F1 drivers, who praise themselves now and then over mediocre drivers, who thank the team in every sentence.

Like I said, a few people on here would do well to take in those comments before letting their total bias colour views and debates on here
TORA! TORA! TORA!
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Here's a better idea; let F1 fans do and think whatever they like.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Mexicola wrote:Here's a better idea; let F1 fans do and think whatever they like.

Well, some of them are an uncontrollable breed...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Here's a better idea; let F1 fans do and think whatever they like.

They might run onto the track and interrupt a race, although I doubt Neil Horan and the ex-Mercedes employee were that fond of the sport.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

They might run onto the track and interrupt a race, although I doubt Neil Horan and the ex-Mercedes employee were that fond of the sport.

Maybe the ex-Merc employee was an F1 fan, but he hated Mercedes for firing him. Plausible, anyone?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Im personally feeling pretty let down by the team for firstly not warning me about the potential for an accident with Maldonado and secondly appearing unwilling to attempt a repair on the car. If the team does not improve I may well have to concede the 2013 F1 drivers championship to Sebastian depending on how the team performs at Monza...

He never said any of that.

But he may have secretly thought it...
Just For One Day...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I think this is another attempt to save face from Di Resta

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12477 ... g-recently
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

Really, the debate is a bit pointless. Look at any picture of Di Resta, it is enough to realize that he's a c**nt ( haha it transformed into James Hunt first :)) )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_2009.jpg

C**tness level 100 at this one.
Last edited by mario on 10 Oct 2013, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited profanity
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

If Paul di Resta ever had to work as a waiter during his college days, i'm sure he was skimming on milk and sugar while making coffees.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Gvozdenovic wrote:Really, the debate is a bit pointless. Look at any picture of Di Resta, it is enough to realize that he's a c**nt ( haha it transformed into James Hunt first :)) )

I don't think that picture's bad at all. This one of Chilton, though....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Gvozdenovic wrote:Really, the debate is a bit pointless. Look at any picture of Di Resta, it is enough to realize that he's a c**nt ( haha it transformed into James Hunt first :)) )

I don't think that picture's bad at all. This one of Chilton, though....

Either way, as others have said before, given that we want to keep this to being a "family forum", try to keep the profanities in check please.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

mario wrote:Either way, as others have said before, given that we want to keep this to being a "family forum", try to keep the profanities in check please.

Oh, come on, i've been here for a week or so now and only woman i encountered is rachel90. :D Joking, sure, will be carefull in future. :)
Last edited by Gvozdenovic on 10 Oct 2013, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I don't think that picture's bad at all. This one of Chilton, though....

Yeah, that one is nasty from Chilton, but it's white collar crime, like "i direct destinies of countless man and women with my after lunch ideas." Paul Di Resta is more of a type to be stabbed in a alley, because he's late with his 200 pound due, betting on puppy derby.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gvozdenovic wrote:
mario wrote:Either way, as others have said before, given that we want to keep this to being a "family forum", try to keep the profanities in check please.

Oh, come on, i've been here for a week or so now and only woman i encountered is rachel90. :D Joking, sure, will be carefull in future. :)

There's Waris (who hasn't logged on since February :? ), Dresda, 14 Hundred Hours, Sunshine-Baby, Rachel90 (as you say), plus I am sure one or two others too that I've missed.

But when the phrase "family forum" is used, he doesn't mean there are sensitive women around. He means sometimes children are on here. Like young Metcalfe. And as Shinji used to be when this forum began. And tommykl was once the youngest on here too. All at one time are/were young teens on here.

EDIT: Forgot Lella Lombardi from the list of female forum users...
Last edited by dr-baker on 11 Oct 2013, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Gvozdenovic wrote: Yeah, that one is nasty from Chilton, but it's white collar crime, like "i direct destinies of countless man and women with my after lunch ideas." Paul Di Resta is more of a type to be stabbed in a alley, because he's late with his 200 pound due, betting on puppy derby.

-*:-
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This is not the "Baseless and Ridiculous Accusations About A Driver I Don't Like Thread". If you want to do that, go join a hate club.
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

Ataxia wrote:This is not the "Baseless and Ridiculous Accusations About A Driver I Don't Like Thread". If you want to do that, go join a hate club.

James Hunt.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Gvozdenovic wrote:
Ataxia wrote:This is not the "Baseless and Ridiculous Accusations About A Driver I Don't Like Thread". If you want to do that, go join a hate club.

James Hunt.

You do flatter me.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Gvozdenovic, I'd suggest you to take a deep breath and calm down now. Pointlessly berating a driver does not contribute towards any sort of a meaningful discussion, nor does lashing back at someone when they criticise you for it.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Gvozdenovic wrote:

Because, obviously, women are the most likely to be offended :roll: You just gave us all a clear picture of your views there.
Just For One Day...
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Returning to the topic at hand.

Though I am largely noncommittal with regards to Paul di Resta, I do feel that he has been already been fatally overshadowed owing to the caprice of his recent performances, not only by his contemporary Hulkenberg, but also impressive rookies, such as Bianchi, and promising prospects in lower formulae, such as Magnussen, as well. With the leading teams' apprehension as to the risks concomitant with appointing a young driver, fears, perhaps unjustifiably, exacerbated by the performance deficit experienced by Lotus and McLaren, and with a multitude of ambiguities surrounding di Resta's holistic performance, I can't envisage any front-running outfit in the short or long-term signing him.

The foremost concern with di Resta must be his inconsistency over a season; that the quality of his performances have again tapered off dramatically towards the second half of the season indicates to teams that, rightly or wrongly, his 2012 predicaments were not an anomaly, and that his weaknesses are inherent and potentially intractable. In addition, some of his comments regarding the competence and capabilities of his team have been disconcertingly tactless, and possibly hint at deeper psychological insecurities. And unlike Romain Grosjean, and to a lesser extent, Pastor Maldonado, he has failed to qualify his erratic form with demonstrative displays of raw pace, further compromising his appraisal amongst the teams.

Perhaps this is unkind, but though Paul di Resta is by no means incompetent, he has also done nothing so far to warrant a competitive drive. Moreover, his age has already begun to influence assessments of his developmental potential; in other words, he has missed the critical window for what is likely to be the last time.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

http://www.f1i.com/infos/di-resta-trouve-quon-en-fait-trop-hulkenberg/

Can't be bothered to translate the whole thing, but the title says it all:

"Di Resta finds Hülkenberg overrated."
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

tommykl wrote:http://www.f1i.com/infos/di-resta-trouve-quon-en-fait-trop-hulkenberg/

Can't be bothered to translate the whole thing, but the title says it all:

"Di Resta finds Hülkenberg overrated."

No Paul I think you'll find that it is you that are both overhyped and overrated by the British media. The Hulk has justified his hype you haven't. This quote is 10 Di Resta's
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

It's funny that di Resta has been driving so badly recently and earlier this year people such as Murray Walker were tipping him as a future winner!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

good_Ralf wrote:It's funny that di Resta has been driving so badly recently and earlier this year people such as Murray Walker were tipping him as a future winner!

He does occasionally have decent drives though - the one that sticks out in my mind was Canada this year, making the tyres last however many laps it was IIRC 40-something, but my memory is shocking.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

SgtPepper wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:It's funny that di Resta has been driving so badly recently and earlier this year people such as Murray Walker were tipping him as a future winner!

He does occasionally have decent drives though - the one that sticks out in my mind was Canada this year, making the tyres last however many laps it was IIRC 40-something, but my memory is shocking.

IIRC, it was 51 laps :shock:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

SgtPepper wrote:

Decent, but not extraordinary. And in all likelihood, the astonishing tire longevity he enjoyed in that race was more so a corollary of the idiosyncratic integration between the Force India's set up and the circuit, rather than di Resta's personal ability to preserve his tires.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because of de Villota but I'm wondering if perhaps its time to close threads like these, the ones that for the most part, focus on negativity? Keep poking fun at drivers and teams etc but perhaps rein in some of the more directly targeted threads? There was never a thread making fun of Maria de Villota but if there had been I know I'd feel pretty bad about it now.

Or is it just me?
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

CoopsII wrote:Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because of de Villota but I'm wondering if perhaps its time to close threads like these, the ones that for the most part, focus on negativity? Keep poking fun at drivers and teams etc but perhaps rein in some of the more directly targeted threads? There was never a thread making fun of Maria de Villota but if there had been I know I'd feel pretty bad about it now.

Or is it just me?

That's a good point CoopsII and one that's giving me food for thought. I think as you've pointed out though - there never was a thread making fun of Maria because although we derided her driving at times, we never had any cause to make fun of the person. She seemed like a thoroughly likeable person and someone to admire, great driver or not. And try as I might, I can't feel the same admiration for Paul di Resta.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

CoopsII wrote:Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because of de Villota but I'm wondering if perhaps its time to close threads like these, the ones that for the most part, focus on negativity? Keep poking fun at drivers and teams etc but perhaps rein in some of the more directly targeted threads? There was never a thread making fun of Maria de Villota but if there had been I know I'd feel pretty bad about it now.

Or is it just me?

We're all upset CoopsII, but I think closing the thread would be both unnecessary, and rash. As someone who doesn't actually mind Di Resta, I still find the constant ribbing from the forums amusing, and sometimes feel some people need to take a chill pill and have more of a sense of humour about criticising drivers. If god forbid anything bad was to actually happen to Di Resta, of course the thread should be locked, but when you really look at it it might be a little silly at times, but it's also not a big deal.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st