No more frequent helmet livery changes?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
FMecha

No more frequent helmet livery changes?

Post by FMecha »

PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Cynon

Re: No more frequent helmet livery changes?

Post by Cynon »

I hope they don't do this, because I can't identify any of the current crop of drivers by their helmets anyway, barring Jenson Button. Every other driver I just look at the T camera or look for the car number. It's not because everyone's helmet design changes, it's because a lot of them look the same from far away... either yellow/green or just a boatload of colors.

A better solution would be for each driver to carry their car number with them from team to team, and for fans to be able to recognize their favorite driver by their car number. To further accomplish this, the car number would be the only decal allowed on the rear wing endplates.

So if you're, say, a Vettel fan and Vettel's number is 83, all you'd have to do is look at the rear wing endplates of the Red Bull and read the number. Easier for newer fans to pick out instead of having to remember helmet designs. Even if he switches teams, he would still carry #83, and it wouldn't be that hard to identify him.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:I hope they don't do this, because I can't identify any of the current crop of drivers by their helmets anyway, barring Jenson Button. Every other driver I just look at the T camera or look for the car number. It's not because everyone's helmet design changes, it's because a lot of them look the same from far away... either yellow/green or just a boatload of colors.

A better solution would be for each driver to carry their car number with them from team to team, and for fans to be able to recognize their favorite driver by their car number. To further accomplish this, the car number would be the only decal allowed on the rear wing endplates.

So if you're, say, a Vettel fan and Vettel's number is 83, all you'd have to do is look at the rear wing endplates of the Red Bull and read the number. Easier for newer fans to pick out instead of having to remember helmet designs.

Some of the drivers do have fairly distinctive designs though - the blue, yellow and red design that Alonso has is very distinctive, as is Kimi's predominantly black design, although at the same time the similar shades of yellow that Hamilton and Rosberg use for their helmets makes it harder, if anything, to tell the two apart at times.

I can see a certain logic for wanting to keep a certain consistency of helmet design given the fact that FOM likes to use onboard camera feeds, particularly the camera above the cockpit. In those instances, the angle would tend to make it harder to determine at a glance who the driver was since any number on the car would probably be at an awkward angle or out of shot altogether. That angle also removes another way of telling drivers apart, which would be the colour of the camera bar above the driver, so the easiest method of telling which driver it is from that angle then becomes, given its prominence within the shot, the design of the drivers helmet.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Cynon wrote:I hope they don't do this, because I can't identify any of the current crop of drivers by their helmets anyway, barring Jenson Button. Every other driver I just look at the T camera or look for the car number. It's not because everyone's helmet design changes, it's because a lot of them look the same from far away... either yellow/green or just a boatload of colors.

So if you're, say, a Vettel fan and Vettel's number is 83, all you'd have to do is look at the rear wing endplates of the Red Bull and read the number. Easier for newer fans to pick out instead of having to remember helmet designs. Even if he switches teams, he would still carry #83, and it wouldn't be that hard to identify him.

Seems logical enough, any casual fan of MotoGP knows Rossi is #43, Lorenzo is #99, SuperSic was #58 and Biaggi was #3. Although knowing Vettel, he'd stick with #1 for as long as he could... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Cynon wrote:A better solution would be for each driver to carry their.....

...own coloured flag. Something like this:

When I got my first bike, it had a flag just like in the picture. And my parents didn't have any difficulty seeing where I was.
F1 fans won't either, if you get those things onto the cars.
-*:-
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Stramala wrote: any casual fan of MotoGP knows Rossi is #43

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:...own coloured flag.

The flag would get scrunched at speed and what if a flag fell off? Would that be a risk for the drivers.
Maybe all the teams should do what HRT did in 2010 and put the driver's names on the sidepods.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

good_Ralf wrote:

The flag would get scrunched at speed and what if a flag fell off? Would that be a risk for the drivers.
Maybe all the teams should do what HRT did in 2010 and put the driver's names on the sidepods.

Lotus did that this year. ;)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

FMecha wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

And McLaren before them.

good_Ralf wrote:The flag would get scrunched at speed and what if a flag fell off?

It was a joke :)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:
FMecha wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Maybe all the teams should do what HRT did in 2010 and put the driver's names on the sidepods.

And McLaren before them.

Don't forget Renault's 2004 livery strategy as well.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Jordan did that too for NT (non-tobacco) races, didn't they? ;)
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I think either this rule should not come in effect, with Cynon's description of what should happen, or the rule does come into place, but since helmet liveries really don't matter as long as the helmets work, every driver get's an assigned helmet color with their own little logo on it. It would solve the issue once and for all.

Or, helmet livery changes are allowed under certain circumstances, like the Barrichello and Schumacher helmet confusion of early 2000 before Schumi went red.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FMecha wrote:Jordan did that too for NT (non-tobacco) races, didn't they? ;)

In 1997, they had FISSSSSI and SCHUUUUEEEEY on the rear wings in place of Benson and Hedges.

go_Rubens wrote:Or, helmet livery changes are allowed under certain circumstances, like the Barrichello and Schumacher helmet confusion of early 2000 before Schumi went red.

Or 1996, when Coulthard borrowed a spare of Schuey's for Monaco because the original was misting up. He then finished 2nd and could have won.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:The flag would get scrunched at speed and what if a flag fell off?

It was a joke :)

I actually am starting to understand Internet jokes. Shame it's only because of the person who tells the jokes.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

Jocke1 wrote:

Ah dear...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Good!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

If they end up doing that, they should have black cameras and red (or black) and yellow helmets. You could still tell the cars apart well, everyone would be used to the colour scheme, and black cameras look a lot better.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

mario wrote:

So if you're, say, a Vettel fan and Vettel's number is 83, all you'd have to do is look at the rear wing endplates of the Red Bull and read the number. Easier for newer fans to pick out instead of having to remember helmet designs.

Some of the drivers do have fairly distinctive designs though - the blue, yellow and red design that Alonso has is very distinctive, as is Kimi's predominantly black design, although at the same time the similar shades of yellow that Hamilton and Rosberg use for their helmets makes it harder, if anything, to tell the two apart at times.

I can see a certain logic for wanting to keep a certain consistency of helmet design given the fact that FOM likes to use onboard camera feeds, particularly the camera above the cockpit. In those instances, the angle would tend to make it harder to determine at a glance who the driver was since any number on the car would probably be at an awkward angle or out of shot altogether. That angle also removes another way of telling drivers apart, which would be the colour of the camera bar above the driver, so the easiest method of telling which driver it is from that angle then becomes, given its prominence within the shot, the design of the drivers helmet.

There's an easy fix to that too, just slap the number on the driver's helmet like Kovalainen did when he was at McLaren.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

PT8475 wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

Ah dear...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't miss Vettel's infinite helmet changes, so I am in favour of this rule
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm going to miss Vergne's tribute helmets.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I hope this rule isn't implemented. One of the things I really like about Vettel is his helmets.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I love the fact that Josh Hill used the same design as his father, who used the same design as his father. If my dad had been a racing driver, and I were to follow in his tyre marks, I would probably want to use the same design. I wish Nico Rosberg would. I wish Jacques Villeneuve did.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Even though I'm annoyed by Vettel's constant helmet design changes, banning them would be ridiculous, that's part of his style.
girry

Post by girry »

@drbaker: funnily enough, BOTH the drivers you mentioned you wished to honour their fathers with similar helmets as them DO have their helmets at least somewhat derived from them...

Nico used the very same helmet as his father in karting, and even if now his helmet has broken the lines (and had the blue part changed to silver), it still maintains the colour pattern his father had.

Jacques has used his for over 20 years; albeit placed differently it's got the same V as his father's, and the colours come from a shirt his mother Joann used to wear.... http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mchhy ... 1_1280.jpg
when you're dead people start listening
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

giraurd wrote:@drbaker: funnily enough, BOTH the drivers you mentioned you wished to honour their fathers with similar helmets as them DO have their helmets at least somewhat derived from them...

Nico used the very same helmet as his father in karting, and even if now his helmet has broken the lines (and had the blue part changed to silver), it still maintains the colour pattern his father had.

Jacques has used his for over 20 years; albeit placed differently it's got the same V as his father's, and the colours come from a shirt his mother Joann used to wear.... http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mchhy ... 1_1280.jpg

To be honest, I posted that without double-checking their fathers' helmets... But I am happy that there is a similarity (even if it sounds like that they are not quite as similar as Graham, Damon and Josh's designs). So if Vettel has a son who goes into F1, what's he gonna do?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I liked Jacques Villeneuve's helmet design, lots of colours and the distinctive V.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:I liked Jacques Villeneuve's helmet design, lots of colours and the distinctive V.

Watching 4 Rooms I saw a Villeneuve helmet in the background, but I can't find the episode where the helmet(s) were sold.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

good_Ralf wrote:
watka wrote:I liked Jacques Villeneuve's helmet design, lots of colours and the distinctive V.

Watching 4 Rooms I saw a Villeneuve helmet in the background, but I can't find the episode where the helmet(s) were sold.

I'd wager it was Peter Ratcliffe who had it, but he might have just had it in his room rather than buying it on the show.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:So if Vettel has a son who goes into F1, what's he gonna do?

Do something completely random :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

go_Rubens wrote:

Recently Nico Rosberg, Nelsinho Piquet and Kazuki Nakajima all have had helmet which reminds at least a bit of their father's helmet. If younger Vettel is deciding to do the same, he would have very difficult to choose which one.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I'd be all for this band. One of the exciting things for me when I first got into F1 in 1996, and for the years until the helmets started changing all the time, was enjoying all the different designs the drivers had... my first task, whenever a new driver was announced, would be to see what new colour scheme would be coming into F1. I used to love looking at the charts of the different helmets on the grid, and the distinctive designs used the by the drivers. It spoilt to for me when they started changing them all the time, and now there's no consistency at all, and many of them have indistinct motorcycle-style helmet designs, rather than bold patterns.

Bring back the iconic designs. Look at helmets from the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s, and tell me that doesn't stir something.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Bleu wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Recently Nico Rosberg, Nelsinho Piquet and Kazuki Nakajima all have had helmet which reminds at least a bit of their father's helmet. If younger Vettel is deciding to do the same, he would have very difficult to choose which one.

Ironically, the only consistent element on Vettel's helmet is the sponsorship...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!