Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

Post by pasta_maldonado »

shinji wrote:
Shadaza wrote:I will throw forward Swiss Driver Matheo Tuscher currently competing in Formula 2. Sure he is 3rd in the championship at the moment and the field isn't the strongest but he is only 15 YEARS OLD.

He seems to have a lot of potential and if any of the big teams pick him up he can be a star in the future I think.

Jaysus, you can say that again. Your post prompted me to look up the field, and the only driver I've heard of is Plamen Kralev :lol:

That can't be a good thing, can it? When Plamen Kralev scores an 11th place, your series has lost all it's credibility :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
shinji wrote:
Shadaza wrote:I will throw forward Swiss Driver Matheo Tuscher currently competing in Formula 2. Sure he is 3rd in the championship at the moment and the field isn't the strongest but he is only 15 YEARS OLD.

He seems to have a lot of potential and if any of the big teams pick him up he can be a star in the future I think.

Jaysus, you can say that again. Your post prompted me to look up the field, and the only driver I've heard of is Plamen Kralev :lol:

That can't be a good thing, can it? When Plamen Kralev scores an 11th place, your series has lost all it's credibility :lol:

I think he scored a point in 2010.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
East Londoner wrote:he can afford to spend about 2-3 more years in the junior categpries than someone who is 17-18, so that will be a huge bonus for him.

The most sriking thing is... he's my age :shock: Actually, we're both fast: he's fast round a track and I'm fast at racking up my post count :ugeek:

The scary truth is, sooner or later there'll be a driver on the F1 grid who's my age or younger. And then I really will feel old. :( :?

I could name quite a few that are younger than me, but somehow, I don't feel old...[/quote]
There are World Champions younger than me. Yet it is only my birthday that I am celebrating at the end of the London Olympics where I will start feeling old...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
East Londoner wrote:The scary truth is, sooner or later there'll be a driver on the F1 grid who's my age or younger. And then I really will feel old. :( :?

I could name quite a few that are younger than me, but somehow, I don't feel old...

There are World Champions younger than me. Yet it is only my birthday that I am celebrating at the end of the London Olympics where I will start feeling old...

Good old thirty right? Unfortunately not that much longer for me too...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:I could name quite a few that are younger than me, but somehow, I don't feel old...

Good old thirty right? Unfortunately not that much longer for me too...

In the meantime, I turn 16 tomorrow ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

East Londoner wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

he can afford to spend about 2-3 more years in the junior categpries than someone who is 17-18, so that will be a huge bonus for him.

The most sriking thing is... he's my age :shock: Actually, we're both fast: he's fast round a track and I'm fast at racking up my post count :ugeek:

The scary truth is, sooner or later there'll be a driver on the F1 grid who's my age or younger. And then I really will feel old. :( :?

Welcome to my world..... barring PDLR and MS the entire grid is younger than me
Masahiko

Post by Masahiko »

Give Kamui a competitive car. He certainly deserves it. He has speed, consistency and racecraft.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

For some reason, I read that as "speed, consistency and spacecraft".

Moving on ...

Of the drivers currently on the grid, I think Grosjean and Rosberg have it in them to be World Champion. Perez and Kobayashi might have it, but I think they're very difficult to judge right now; the C31 is perhaps the most inconsistent car on the grid.

Of the drivers not currently in Formula 1, I think that Kevin Korjus and Sergey Sirotkin could one day be World Champion. Likewise Raffaele Marciello and Felipe Nasr. I think it's too difficult to judge Matheo Tuscher right now; he might have had success in Formula 2, but as has been pointed out, the field is weak - one of the other competitive drivers is Mihai Marinescu, who was out of his depth in the GP2 Final at Abu Dhabi (and that race was mostly populated by guest drivers).
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Kevin Korjus is the only driver in that list I can safely agree has the potential to do reall well. I have my doubts about Nasr, his path up the ranks has been rather easy for him (plenty of backing financially thanks to his connections), and Sirotkin is only 16! The depth in Auto GP is also very weak - Quaife-Hobbs, Varhaug and Campana are the only talented drivers there aside from Sergey. Varhaug went up the ladder to quickly, he was out of his depth in GP2 and needed a couple more years in junior formulae. He's still only 21, he has some more time to build back up again. I think he has the potential to do a Grosjean and resurrect his career from the brink of disaster.

On an Auto GP related note, I just feel like pointing out Sten Pentus has committed career suicide by racing there. He was no faster than 47 year old Giuseppe Cipriani (former owner of Il Barone Rampante F3000 team), and at 30 years old, should really be either switching to tin-tops/GT or just giving up racing altogether. God knows why his sponsors continue to back him.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

OK, I'm convinced that Perez will become a WDC! Nothing will prove it wrong!!! :D
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

JeremyMcClean wrote:OK, I'm convinced that Perez will become a WDC! Nothing will prove it wrong!!! :D

'cept maybe Grosjean.
Message me on Discord.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shadaza wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:OK, I'm convinced that Perez will become a WDC! Nothing will prove it wrong!!! :D

'cept maybe Grosjean.

Yeah, except that. It appears I'm turning into a fully fledged Grosjean fan and I don't know why :shock: :? :? :?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Perez is really looking like a future WDC but he won't do it at Sauber obviously. I'm hoping he doesn't make the inevitable jump to Ferrari too soon. I don't think it will work with Alonso as a teammate.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Pamphlet wrote:Grosjean, Rosberg, Webber. Which is disheartening, as I don't want any of them to win.

HAHAHAHAH

Webber.

I'm sorry.

Are you insane. Is that what it is.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Kevin Korjus is the only driver in that list I can safely agree has the potential to do reall well.

The reason why I like Korjus is that he's ideally positioned. He's nineteen, so he can afford to take another year or two of development if he needs it - but he's also at the age where he's ready for Formula 1. He's partnered with a highly-rated team-mate, but holds all the cards: Bianchi needs to beat him if he wants to make it into Formula 1, but it doesn't matter so much if Korjus doesn't beat Bianchi. And, of course, he's fast. The likes of Sauber, Lotus and Williams should all be looking closely at him.

kostas22 wrote:Sirotkin is only 16! The depth in Auto GP is also very weak - Quaife-Hobbs, Varhaug and Campana are the only talented drivers there aside from Sergey.

Sirotkin's potential comes from his age. AutoGP is a weak series, but it's allowed Sirotkin to make a bit of a name for himself and get some attention.

kostas22 wrote:On an Auto GP related note, I just feel like pointing out Sten Pentus has committed career suicide by racing there. He was no faster than 47 year old Giuseppe Cipriani (former owner of Il Barone Rampante F3000 team), and at 30 years old, should really be either switching to tin-tops/GT or just giving up racing altogether. God knows why his sponsors continue to back him.

Pentus never had the x factor needed for open-wheel racing. Neither did Marko Asmer. Kevin Korjus is Estonia's best chance of getting a Formula 1 driver.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

My choices:

Rosberg
Perez
Grosjean ;)
Sutil
Hulkenberg
Bottas
Bianchi

Nasr
Harvey
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

good_Ralf wrote:My choices:

Rosberg
Perez
Grosjean ;)
Sutil
Hulkenberg
Bottas
Bianchi

Nasr
Harvey

Way to narrow it down.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Backmarker wrote:Probably whoever ends up at Red Bull. .

/thread
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:My choices:

Rosberg
Perez
Grosjean ;)
Sutil
Hulkenberg
Bottas
Bianchi

Nasr
Harvey

My take on those.

Rosberg is a maybe. I think he can do it and emulate Damon Hill, but he needs a good enough car to do it. The Merc won't do it against Red Bull and Vettel.

Pérez can and WILL win the world championship in my eyes. He I believe is at his prime or well before it, and he can do it if McLaren get their act together.

Grosjean? I question why you say him, as he is either fast and erratic, or slow and consistent, which won't win him anything.

Sutil is up my list of future champions as well. He is fast, consistent, and this would pay off if he was bloody more luckier than he is now. Hell, he may be one of the unluckiest since Chris Amon.

The Hülk can do it, but he needs a better vehicle. I think he can get into a Ferrari seat if Massa leaves, so who knows. Alonso plans to retire from F1 after driving for Ferrari, so he can be propelled into lead status if he goes to Ferrari. I thought he was a very good driver at Williams, although he got frustrated easily. I think he has matured quite a bit since then, so we'll see what happens.

I don't think Maldonado is a pay driver, I think he is good, but the fact that Bottas seems to beat him regularly and qualify very well tells me be is so etching special, but he needs a better car to show his true potential.

Bianchi is a definite yes. Considering he finished 13th on merit in Sepang, a track which I don't believe he has ever been to before, beat his teammate by over a minute, and has beat him regularly when he finishes, he can do something. If he gets a top drive, then he will win in my eyes.

In the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona, Felipe Nasr jumped into the Michael Shank Racing #6 prototype and he took off. He was on a hell uva stint to finish in a mighty impressive 3rd place on his debut. I knew he was something special when I watched him. He was very fast and consistent, which only certain racing drivers have. As a future champion, I believe he is one.

And who is this Harvey guy you speak of?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:And who is this Harvey guy you speak of?

Jack Harvey is the 2012 British F3 Champion. He is now in GP3 and recently took his maiden win at Silverstone. I first heard about him last Autumn reading a BBC article about how Jack might emulate the feats of Senna, Hakkinen and Barrichello. I personally think he will be signed by Williams next year and eventually win 4 WDCs, for some reason.

Some of the drivers on my list have tipped by people other than myself. Even before F1 2013 got underway, Lotus boss Eric Boullier said how Grosjean was talented enough to be world champion and I agreed, although he still hasn't been able to develop that critical spacial awareness that most other drivers have.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:
Grosjean? I question why you say him, as he is either fast and erratic, or slow and consistent, which won't win him anything.

Would you like gravy with that humble pie?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

He still hasn't won anything. And championships aren't won in one race. Especially not when your teammate is faster than you :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DonTirri wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

He still hasn't won anything. And championships aren't won in one race. Especially not when your teammate is faster than you :P

Grosjean had the better of Kimi most of that race. He's getting there.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Salamander wrote:

That much is true. But Kimi had the edge when it mattered the most. The way I see Grosjean is that he is a 100% racing driver. Shame that the ones who win championships are at 105%. I.o.w he lacks that final... SOMETHING to be a championship contender.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

DonTirri wrote:
Salamander wrote:

That much is true. But Kimi had the edge when it mattered the most. The way I see Grosjean is that he is a 100% racing driver. Shame that the ones who win championships are at 105%. I.o.w he lacks that final... SOMETHING to be a championship contender.

How many percent racing driver is Max Chilton?
-*:-
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jocke1 wrote:
DonTirri wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Graham's number percent?
Everything's great.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I genuinely think that Grosjean could be a future champion; he certainly has the latent speed there, he just needs to work on his consistency and managing his off-days. I see di Resta possibly being a future champion if he can get a top drive (big if, but I can dream :P ). FInally, Frijns and Felix da Costa I reckon could be future champions
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
DonTirri wrote:
Salamander wrote:

About 95%. Equivalent to most rejects, most of the time.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

go_Rubens wrote:About 95%. Equivalent to most rejects, most of the time.

That would be too kind to Mr. Chilton. Even Mazzacane had more pace.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Chilton is doing what Mazzacane did in 2000. Keeping his car on the road.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Chilton is doing what Mazzacane did in 2000. Keeping his car on the road.

but right at the back :lol:
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Chilton is doing what Mazzacane did in 2000. Keeping his car on the road.

Okay, I know it's hard to read between the lines of an Internet post, but come on.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Chilton is doing what Mazzacane did in 2000. Keeping his car on the road.

Okay, I know it's hard to read between the lines of an Internet post, but come on.

Maybe he's never read Mazzacane's profile on this site.

Hopefully Max Talent Talent Talent Chilton follows Gaston's footsteps and runs 3rd at the United States Grand Prix this year.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
IceG

Post by IceG »

Looking at form, based on who are the top twelve in the driver's championship and excluding previous champions and those soon to retire (Webber, Massa, Sutil), offers us:

Nico Rosberg (6th)
Romain Grosjean (8th)
Paul Di Resta (10th)
Nico Hulkenberg (11th)

Given PDR's recent form, I think he has perhaps lost credibility. The remaining names are all reasonable candidates.

Hulkenberg needs to be canny in his next team choice (for 2014 hopefully) to make his chances good. I feel he should go to McLaren because (i) they are a better long-term prospect than Lotus and (ii) Button is a generous team-mate from whom he can learn. McLaren should take him after his brilliant drive yesterday which showed just how ready he is for a top drive.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wow I am glad Pamphlet is gone, good riddance
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eurobrun wrote:Wow I am glad Pamphlet is gone, good riddance

Why this thread to say that, out of curiosity?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

I just saw his old posts

James1978

Post by James1978 »

To be honest I can't picture anyone but Vettel (even those who are already champions like Alonso, Hamilton, and Raikkonen) being champion at all for the foreseeable future. Unless the new regulations for next year don't suit Red Bull!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'm still betting on Romain Grosjean! :D
Everything's great.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Salamander wrote:I'm still betting on Romain Grosjean! :D

He's my favorite driver and I wouldn't even do that. I can dream though :)

I would bet on either Hulkenberg or Rosberg. If Rosberg only had some better luck at the beginning of the season...
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.