Reject teams and drivers quiz

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
mario

Re: Reject teams and drivers quiz

Post by mario »

I suppose that I can give it a bash, though I expect that this one might be worked out reasonably quickly.

The Lotus 76 was a rather radical, and rather unsuccessful, attempt by Lotus to develop a successor to the ageing 72 in 1974. The car had a number of unusual features about it - one of which was related to the number of pedals it had. How many pedals did it have, and what were they for?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I think that was the car with two rear wings, so I'm guessing it's something to do with those rear wings...A primitive form of DRS, maybe?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

tommykl wrote:I think that was the car with two rear wings, so I'm guessing it's something to do with those rear wings...A primitive form of DRS, maybe?

A primitive form of DRS was already developed in 1969 by Matra.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote:
tommykl wrote:I think that was the car with two rear wings, so I'm guessing it's something to do with those rear wings...A primitive form of DRS, maybe?

A primitive form of DRS was already developed in 1969 by Matra.

I believe that Ferrari were also experimenting with an electrically operated adjustable rear wing for that same purpose, but the ban on moveable aerodynamics later that season put paid to their plans. Anyway, though that is a nice idea, that is not quite what was going on with that car.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

One of the pedals wouldn't be "brake steer", would it? You know, of McLaren MP4/12 and 13 fame...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I reckon it had 30-odd pedals. One to accelerate, one to brake, one for the clutch that they still had in those days, and most of the rest for a miniature pipe organ housed in one of the sidepods. So, if the car won, it could play its own version of "We Are The Champions", which would later be shamelessly copied by Mercury, May and the rest and released on their News Of The World album, much to the annoyance of Lotus.

Then there was another pedal to spray oil on the circuit, another one to operate a lathe housed in the other sidepod, and one to dispense ketchup because the official Team Lotus burger stall had run out of room for condiments.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

A pedal to add more oil to the engine so the engine wouldn't go dry?

I seriously don't know.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

mario wrote:I suppose that I can give it a bash, though I expect that this one might be worked out reasonably quickly.

The Lotus 76 was a rather radical, and rather unsuccessful, attempt by Lotus to develop a successor to the ageing 72 in 1974. The car had a number of unusual features about it - one of which was related to the number of pedals it had. How many pedals did it have, and what were they for?

It had 2 pedals and a hand-operated clutch.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:
mario wrote:I suppose that I can give it a bash, though I expect that this one might be worked out reasonably quickly.

Now, where this gets interesting is that I have seen a different number quoted, which is four pedals - a conventional clutch pedal which was to be used at the start or to exit the pits (as the electronic clutch did not work properly when the car was stationary), two individual brake pedals, which would allow the driver to either left foot brake or right foot brake, depending on which he was more comfortable with, and a conventional throttle pedal.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Now, where this gets interesting is that I have seen a different number quoted, which is four pedals - a conventional clutch pedal which was to be used at the start or to exit the pits (as the electronic clutch did not work properly when the car was stationary), two individual brake pedals, which would allow the driver to either left foot brake or right foot brake, depending on which he was more comfortable with, and a conventional throttle pedal.

Interesting. I believe that the chassis currently racing in the Masters GP championship is in late-season specification, so it has a clutch pedal.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Very interesting. Not like these days where there is only one brake pedal.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.