Reject of the Race-Canada 2013

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Reject of the Race-Canada 2013

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:
Especially Mclaren because Williams have been crap for sometime now and considering they won it in 2006 and 2011 i don't think Enoch would be hard pressed to give them another one. Mclaren however are doing 2 things at the moment. 1) They are making their 1995 look good and 2) Proving that Hamilton was right in jumping ship. Money is prevailing over Loyalty at the moment. They have a completely lost team principle at the helm, A head officer who is good at turning successful teams into also-rans. And that's before we mention they have one driver who can only do well in the right conditions and another who is letting the pressure getting to him in his first season with the team

That said Sauber aren't covering themselves in Glory either. I mean their fall from grace has been staggering and they can count themselves lucky that it's only Sky Sports that have caught on to their slump in form. Nico Hulkenberg deserves better than what's he's got at the moment as he dragged his car to 8th at Malaysia and also into Q3 and 10th in China. Kaltenborn needs to do something about this and at the moment i'm not seeing any signs of progress

Kaltenborn can't do anything herself unless she picked up a bit more technical talent. Thing is, I'm told it's quite difficult to persuade UK residents to relocate to Switzerland due to the fact that the cost of living is pretty high. So any designers with young families will take a little financial motivation, which is something Sauber can't entirely afford to do. This could potentially be a reason Key left.

I don't entirely agree with your McLaren analysis either. The car's a completely new concept, and although it's not gone successfully so far I'd imagine McLaren would rather take the hit now and trial parts ready for the new 2014 rules than be left behind.

uhh good comeback Kimi-ICE
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:Kaltenborn can't do anything herself unless she picked up a bit more technical talent. Thing is, I'm told it's quite difficult to persuade UK residents to relocate to Switzerland due to the fact that the cost of living is pretty high. So any designers with young families will take a little financial motivation, which is something Sauber can't entirely afford to do. This could potentially be a reason Key left.

I don't entirely agree with your McLaren analysis either. The car's a completely new concept, and although it's not gone successfully so far I'd imagine McLaren would rather take the hit now and trial parts ready for the new 2014 rules than be left behind.

It is true that Sauber's base in Hinwil is rather remote compared to the usual clusters of technical staff (central UK, Cologne or northern Italy), and that does seem to have been a bit of a hindrance in the past when they sought to recruit new staff. To be fair, though, if you consider the budget that Sauber have and the performance they usually how as a result, they generally don't do too badly - but funding is still an issue (see how frequently Kaltenborn has pushed for budget capping or cost restrictions) and is likely to remain so for some time.

As for McLaren, I do agree that the car is a new concept and should, in theory, have more scope for development, but at the same time they are going to pay heavily for that in the short term. It looks like McLaren will be losing a substantial amount of funding for 2014 if they finish this low down in the WCC - I recall seeing a figure of a potential drop of £40 million in revenue from FOM if they were to finish 6th in the WCC.
Even for a well funded team like McLaren, that is a hefty hit to take to the finances at a critical time, particularly when their engine costs have risen in recent years (and the new turbo engines will be much more expensive to boot). Sam Michael has hinted that their present troubles are having a potential impact on the amount of resources they can allocate to their 2014 campaign, so it may be that their poor performance this year does have a knock on effect in 2014.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:uhh good comeback Kimi-ICE

I know, right? :lol:

mario wrote:As for McLaren, I do agree that the car is a new concept and should, in theory, have more scope for development, but at the same time they are going to pay heavily for that in the short term. It looks like McLaren will be losing a substantial amount of funding for 2014 if they finish this low down in the WCC - I recall seeing a figure of a potential drop of £40 million in revenue from FOM if they were to finish 6th in the WCC.
Even for a well funded team like McLaren, that is a hefty hit to take to the finances at a critical time, particularly when their engine costs have risen in recent years (and the new turbo engines will be much more expensive to boot). Sam Michael has hinted that their present troubles are having a potential impact on the amount of resources they can allocate to their 2014 campaign, so it may be that their poor performance this year does have a knock on effect in 2014.

Well, McLaren have proven they can take a big ol' financial hit before. I think they've got the nous to sort it all out next year, personally...but I'm no Mystic Meg.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

What.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

If anyone asks i get irate and wound up pretty easily
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

If anyone asks i get irate and wound up pretty easily

No kidding...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

Sam doesn't have much luck does he? First Williams went off the boil on his watch and now McLaren....not saying that he's responsible but he must be thinking "oh no...not again!"
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

nigellamansell wrote:Sam doesn't have much luck does he? First Williams went off the boil on his watch and now McLaren....not saying that he's responsible but he must be thinking "oh no...not again!"

Sam Michael: cause or effect?

Discuss if you wish. :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:

mario wrote:As for McLaren, I do agree that the car is a new concept and should, in theory, have more scope for development, but at the same time they are going to pay heavily for that in the short term. It looks like McLaren will be losing a substantial amount of funding for 2014 if they finish this low down in the WCC - I recall seeing a figure of a potential drop of £40 million in revenue from FOM if they were to finish 6th in the WCC.

Well, McLaren have proven they can take a big ol' financial hit before. I think they've got the nous to sort it all out next year, personally...but I'm no Mystic Meg.

The $100 million fine in the wake of Spygate was certainly a big hit, although there is a suggestion that Mercedes paid at least part of, and possibly all of, the fine that McLaren received (which also seems to have been one of the triggers for the relationship between both sides to start breaking down, since Mercedes didn't appreciate ending up with the bill for that). This time around, the financial hit is likely to come at the one point in time when McLaren does not have any factory support, so it will be interesting to see how McLaren cope when they are effectively on their own.

eytl wrote:
nigellamansell wrote:Sam doesn't have much luck does he? First Williams went off the boil on his watch and now McLaren....not saying that he's responsible but he must be thinking "oh no...not again!"

Sam Michael: cause or effect?

Discuss if you wish. :lol:

To be fair, some might argue that Williams were already going into decline by the time that Sam joined that team given that he joined them in 2001. If anything, the team went through a slight boost in competitiveness in the next couple of years after he joined (they were more competitive than McLaren in 2002 and, arguably, in 2003 as well), so he didn't seem to do them any harm in the short term.

Equally, one could say that, in some ways, it was the loss of manufacturer support from BMW that really sealed the decline of Williams - the relationship was beginning to break down in 2004 and, by 2005, the relationship was pretty cold by that point given BMW had announced they would be linking up with Sauber instead. Ironically, he ended up moving to McLaren at about the same time that Mercedes started to withdraw manufacturer support from them, though at least McLaren have been able to find another manufacturer (Honda) that is willing to support them in the future.
2006 was a poor year, but it could be argued that was only partially down to the team itself, since Xtrac, their transmission supplier, were also partially at fault too (it's notable that, after that season, Williams did shift their gearbox design team in house rather than to a third party). The Toyota engine was, although relatively light on fuel consumption, also lagging behind a little in the power stakes - Toyota were one of the outfits that had a more conservative interpretation of the rules than Ferrari, Renault or Mercedes when the development restrictions kicked in in 2007, and they paid for that in the longer term.

After that, it could be said that, in many ways, Williams tended to finish more or less where you would expect a team of their size given they'd shrunk down into a midfield team - behind the manufacturers and battling with the customer teams of the major outfits. Their relatively high ranking in 2007 was a bit of a fluke in some ways - McLaren were disqualified, Honda had completely screwed up the RA107, as had Toyota with the TF107, and Red Bull were quick on occasion but suffered from chronic reliability problems due to their new "seamless shift" gearbox, which was introduced that season but proved to be very fragile.

I suppose that you could also debate whether McLaren were quite the same slick operation that they prided themselves on being even before Sam joined the team. Whilst they were clumsy in the pit lane in 2012, they had also made some notable blunders along the way before he turned up - remember Button's car overheating in Monaco in 2010 because they didn't remove a bung from the radiators, or the botched pit stop in the 2011 British GP that put Button out of the race? They took a lot of flack in the early half of 2012 but, to be fair, by the latter half of 2012 their stops were much slicker and, with the exception of the botched stop in Malaysia, have been pretty solid in the pit lane this year as well.

It could also be said that McLaren's problems in recent years have tended to stem from their technical department - the botched blown exhaust designs in 2011 that, had they not copied Red Bull, could have seen them really struggle, whilst reliability was not their strongest suit in 2012. Even their current woes right now seem to lead back to correlation issues in the wind tunnel and a dispute with Pirelli over the accuracy of their wind tunnel scale tyres (over complaints that Pirelli mislead them over the stiffness and deflection characteristics of their tyres), rather than anything to do with the other side of the pit lane where Sam works as sporting director.

Now, whilst I would not necessarily say that Sam Michael was the most competent person in the pit lane at his job, when you consider the situation he was in at Williams for much of his career, his record isn't necessarily that bad. I wouldn't say that he was brilliant at his role, but probably not a total disaster either - I'd say that he was fairly average overall.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"