rFactor 2001 Prost GP (VOECKLER CHAMPION)

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Salamander

Re: rFactor 2001 Prost GP (VOECKLER CHAMPION)

Post by Salamander »

roblomas52 wrote:Fast car uk did very well for a team that entered mid season

Alstom and Al Smith Racing Enterprises also joined mid-season. Alstom took both titles and Al Smith could've won 2 or 3 races. Your team was nowhere near that level at any point.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Ambrose-Milan would've won a third of the season if it weren't for those meddling Peugeots... although I guess everyone else could say that as well :P
Two race wins and viable contenders every race until the cars broke speaks volumes about Alliot and Malenfant. Alliot never won, but he had some of the best drives of the series, including that drive from an accident that dropped him to 20th to third at Rockingham. Malenfant won his second race, and the second to last race. And we somehow finished the season third, behind the ever consistent Goldrush team.

And we missed the first round :)
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Mantis did fairly well after a slow start to the season to finish third. Been watching the Spa race, and I couldn't believe the gap he had.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Also, how can I have driver name banned when there is a driver called screaming mantis on the grid?
Just wondering
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Screaming Mantis is a reference while your name was just some made up unfunny shite
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

eurobrun wrote:Screaming Mantis is a reference while your name was just some made up unfunny shite

Yeah, I went with some MGS references in the LGPS (Psycho Mantis and Kenneth Baker) and the Prost GP.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:Screaming Mantis is a reference while your name was just some made up unfunny shite

This.
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Klon wrote:His point is still valid, guys.

Not in my book. References are fine. Made-up nonsense is not.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

But you can still have references with sensible, realistic-sounding names (like my drivers...). Screaming Mantis may be a reference, but it still just isn't realistic. Otherwise I would have drivers called Lon Don, Bru Ssells, Ire Land, etc...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:

But you can still have references with sensible, realistic-sounding names (like my drivers...). Screaming Mantis may be a reference, but it still just isn't realistic. Otherwise I would have drivers called Lon Don, Bru Ssells, Ire Land, etc...

Don't give me any ideas, i introduce you Charles Roi :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:

It's a pop culture reference.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:But you can still have references with sensible, realistic-sounding names (like my drivers...). Screaming Mantis may be a reference, but it still just isn't realistic. Otherwise I would have drivers called Lon Don, Bru Ssells, Ire Land, etc...

Point is, it is highly unlikely you'll ever meet anyone in real life with a first name of Screaming (barring the late leader of the Monster Raving Loony Party, and even then, that wasn't actually his name). But you could meet a Douglas, or Ben, or Mel, or Norman, or Peter - the first names of my geographically-referenced drivers.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But you can still have references with sensible, realistic-sounding names (like my drivers...). Screaming Mantis may be a reference, but it still just isn't realistic. Otherwise I would have drivers called Lon Don, Bru Ssells, Ire Land, etc...

Point is, it is highly unlikely you'll ever meet anyone in real life with a first name of Screaming

Well, duh. You don't need to tell me nobody on the planet is actually called Screaming. My point is, as a reference to MGS, it's not just complete nonsense. Which is what my problem with roblomas' driver being called Anthrax Whatever was. If anyone really had a problem with Shizuka calling his driver Screaming Mantis, then they would've said so when he posted his entry. But since a quick Google search reveals it's a MGS reference, nobody did. Putting roblomas' driver name into Google search turns up this thread as the number one hit. So it's pretty clearly just utter rubbish.
Everything's great.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have allowed Screaming Mantis when Shizuka submitted his entry, maybe that's my mistake. But by the time roblomas made up his driver name it was a bit too late to make Shizuka change driver.
Trump 2016
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Right, let's settle this once and for all with a vote just so we can avoid situations like this in the future with a vote:

http://www.f1alternate.shoutwiki.com/wiki/User_talk:Darkapprentice77#Polls
Trump 2016
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I think all names should be (semi-)realistic. Let's just say that Screaming/Psycho Mantis were racing under a pseudonym, which happens quite often ("Gimax" for example)
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
RonDenisDeletraz

pi314159 wrote:I think all names should be (semi-)realistic. Let's just say that Screaming/Psycho Mantis were racing under a pseudonym, which happens quite often ("Gimax" for example)

Exactly my opinion, it still happens in the real world even today. For example there is a driver called Diabolik competing in the Superstars championship this year. Not to mention "Old Navajo"
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

What can I say? I'm a purist. My V8 gag was deliberately pushing the bounds of taste to see how far people would go.

IMO Screaming Mantis is stupid. Metal Gear Solid is not pop culture. It's from a gaming sub-culture.

Why is this distinction so important? Let's say, I have a new driver. He's Brazilian and his name is "Number 9". What a stupid name, I hear you say! No way that should be allowed!
BUT HANG ON. IT'S A REFERENCE! YES! Because of rights issues in Fifa, Ronaldo (Il Phenomeno, not pretty boy) was known as "No. 9" in the Fifa Football video game franchise. And it's even closer to reality, because it is a reference to a real life person. So how you could tell me No. 9 was not an acceptable name under these rules but "Screaming Mantis" is, does not make any sense. And this is far closer to popular culture than MGS. Why? New Fifa titles are purchased in such vast quantities, that the last three releases in the franchise have surpassed 50% of the lifetime sales figure for Metal Gear Solid ONE WEEK AFTER RELEASE. 7 DAYS.

The argument for nonsense but reference names is a weak one. The rules for such a system can be exploited easily. I can guarantee you that if it get's voted through, I'm making a driver called "Number 9" in protest.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Hey, atleast Metal Gear Solid is actually a good game :P

Seriously though, I see what you're saying.

Also remember B-Spec Bob? Everyone shunned him but he was a reference...
Last edited by Gerudo Dragon on 02 Jun 2013, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2016
RonDenisDeletraz

Stramala wrote:What can I say? I'm a purist. My V8 gag was deliberately pushing the bounds of taste to see how far people would go.

IMO Screaming Mantis is stupid. Metal Gear Solid is not pop culture. It's from a gaming sub-culture.

Why is this distinction so important? Let's say, I have a new driver. He's Brazilian and his name is "Number 9". What a stupid name, I hear you say! No way that should be allowed!
BUT HANG ON. IT'S A REFERENCE! YES! Because of rights issues in Fifa, Ronaldo (Il Phenomeno, not pretty boy) was known as "No. 9" in the Fifa Football video game franchise. And it's even closer to reality, because it is a reference to a real life person. So how you could tell me No. 9 was not an acceptable name under these rules but "Screaming Mantis" is, does not make any sense. And this is far closer to popular culture than MGS. Why? New Fifa titles are purchased in such vast quantities, that the last three releases in the franchise have surpassed 50% of the lifetime sales figure for Metal Gear Solid ONE WEEK AFTER RELEASE. 7 DAYS.

The argument for nonsense but reference names is a weak one. The rules for such a system can be exploited easily. I can guarantee you that if it get's voted through, I'm making a driver called "Number 9" in protest.

Way to completely overreact and contradict yourself, you clearly said you don't support reference names but it would be perfectly acceptable for you to do so "in protest". You have no right to call yourself a purist is you are willing to break your own rules :roll:

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I think the Number 9 thing would be to demonstrate how the rule can be exploited so easily, I dunno.
Trump 2016
RonDenisDeletraz

darkapprentice77 wrote:I think the Number 9 thing would be to demonstrate how the rule can be exploited so easily, I dunno.

But why would you do something you are against just to make a point. That is just fighting fire with fire and doesn't achieve anything

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eurobrun wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:I think the Number 9 thing would be to demonstrate how the rule can be exploited so easily, I dunno.

But why would you do something you are against just to make a point. That is just fighting fire with fire and doesn't achieve anything

Also, do you realise the most effective way to demonstrate a flaw in something is to exploit the flaw for non-malicious purposes? Without this method, computer security would be an impossible task. People spend time deliberately trying to hack or exploit programmes, not to take advantage of them, but to demonstrate the flaws to the creator and have them corrected.

You completely missed the point of everything I had written.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

The computer security example is completely irrelevant as this is just a game and nobody's safety or security is at risk. In my view it would just be a hypocritical form of trolling to create that character.

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

eurobrun wrote:The computer security example is completely irrelevant as this is just a game and nobody's safety or security is at risk. In my view it would just be a hypocritical form of trolling to create that character.

Here's the thing eurobrun. I don't know whether you've got some sort of personal vendetta against Stramala but what he has written was not because he is or intends to be a troll, and/or a giant doucebag. Although the latter is debatable :P (Just a joke guys)

He used the security system analogy to indicate that he found a rather large flaw in the system for a non-malicious reason - to show how easy a pop-culture based reference system can be exploited to allow ridiculous names. The purpose of this was to try and highlight how easily the system can be abused, and to back up his own point that names should be realistic - and as you quite rightly said, why would he do something he doesn't believe in?

You need to take a lighter perspective on events eurobrun. No one here is out to purposely piss you off, including Stramala. His 'hatred' towards you is in fact a twisted perspective that has been conjured up by your brain due to mis-interpreting his posts. By assuming people hate you, you will always find apparent 'proof' in everything they do that suggests they hate you, but this is in fact your mind altering the perspective in which things were written to try and justify your negativeness.

And to add my 2p to the matter, I don't like Screaming nor Psycho Mantis as names, but I'm not willing to be an arse about it and demand Shizuka changes his characters. I'd just rather everyone is realistic when naming characters, or at least semi-realistic, in my book references are fine so long as the names themselves are realistic (i.e. FMecha's GTA referenced characters). I'd prefer it if the characters are revealed to be using a pseudonym for some witty or funny reason but if Shizuka doesn't want to do that then it's fine as well.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

This has nothing to do with what me and Stramala think of eachother, this has to do with how his logic seems flawed. I believe that him delibrately breaking the rules in order to make his point is irritating and not nessecary.

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I'm fine with changing names.

Name SM Sergej Madunochev, and PM Pjotr Madunochev. Monograms kept the same, but the name entirely changed.

There. Is this okay for everyone?

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Yeah that's fine ;)
Trump 2016
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eurobrun wrote:This has nothing to do with what me and Stramala think of eachother, this has to do with how his logic seems flawed. I believe that him delibrately breaking the rules in order to make his point is irritating and not nessecary.

I'm afraid your thinking is a bit confused here.

I wouldn't be breaking a rule if I did something that was, by the word of the rule, lawful, now would I? It isn't deliberate rule breaking if it's allowed, now is it?

I think you are confusing "logic" with "your opinion". I'm afraid you can't always be right. I would read-over what you've said and pinpoint the mistakes on your own, rather than me explain to you and be written off as "trolling", or any other name you care to think of. It doesn't require "logic", it requires lateral thinking. If anything, it's a harsh fact of life - vertical logic will be mostly ineffective in many situations.

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

So we ended the season in a double retirement. Quite fitting because that's pretty much what we did for most of the year. :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:The computer security example is completely irrelevant as this is just a game and nobody's safety or security is at risk. In my view it would just be a hypocritical form of trolling to create that character.

Here's the thing eurobrun. I don't know whether you've got some sort of personal vendetta against Stramala but what he has written was not because he is or intends to be a troll, and/or a giant doucebag. Although the latter is debatable :P (Just a joke guys)

He used the security system analogy to indicate that he found a rather large flaw in the system for a non-malicious reason - to show how easy a pop-culture based reference system can be exploited to allow ridiculous names. The purpose of this was to try and highlight how easily the system can be abused, and to back up his own point that names should be realistic - and as you quite rightly said, why would he do something he doesn't believe in?

You need to take a lighter perspective on events eurobrun. No one here is out to purposely piss you off, including Stramala. His 'hatred' towards you is in fact a twisted perspective that has been conjured up by your brain due to mis-interpreting his posts. By assuming people hate you, you will always find apparent 'proof' in everything they do that suggests they hate you, but this is in fact your mind altering the perspective in which things were written to try and justify your negativeness.

And to add my 2p to the matter, I don't like Screaming nor Psycho Mantis as names, but I'm not willing to be an arse about it and demand Shizuka changes his characters. I'd just rather everyone is realistic when naming characters, or at least semi-realistic, in my book references are fine so long as the names themselves are realistic (i.e. FMecha's and Phoenix's GTA referenced characters). I'd prefer it if the characters are revealed to be using a pseudonym for some witty or funny reason but if Shizuka doesn't want to do that then it's fine as well.

Fixed. And I confess I used a pseudonym driver here. One of my drivers over Shadaza's Amazing Race series, "King Turbo", is a psuedonym and reference to Wreck-It Ralph (because King Candy = Turbo).

Heck, all the drivers in my SARS team are named after those guys from video games. :ugeek:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I propose that you keep the so-called references for non-canon series like REECCS, which are meant to have some comedy value (which is why i use a movie character played by Leslie Nielsen there, because that fits right in the REECCS-image, in my opinion) Canon-series are at least half serious, so the names should be at least half serious.
Unless of course, if the creator of the series specifically mentions he has a fetish for unrealistic names.

Last bumped by Gerudo Dragon on 27 Jul 2013, 09:13.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!