Who are the most supported drivers or teams in your country?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Who are the most supported drivers or teams in your country?

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Who are the most supported drivers or teams in your country? And who are the most disliked?

I live in Italy and here the most Formula 1 watchers are Ferrari supporters and almost no one cares about Italian drivers.
Anyway I have to say that there's an highest percentage of Ferrari fans between people who watch Formula 1 only occasionally (who are actually the most) instead of "true" fans (who are a minority): they tend to focus more on drivers instead than teams.

So in my country the most supported driver is generally Ferrari top driver, so nowadays Alonso, previously Raikkonen and Schumacher.

Most hated drivers:
- the ones who can win the championship on a car which is not a Ferrari (who are generally criticized by their driving skills and described as drivers who wins only because an excessive luck, nowadays a lot of people say that Vettel is lucky but not talented by the same people who previously said the same about Alonso in his Renault and McLaren days and nowadays say that Alonso is the best F1 driver of all times);
- former Ferrari drivers who drive for another team;
- Ferrari's second drivers (it could sound ridicolous, but I heard some people, who describe themselves as Ferrari fans, who would be more pleased if Alonso won a race as Massa retired instead of Alonso winning and Massa finishing in 2nd position).
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Shizuka

Re: Who are the most supported drivers or teams in your coun

Post by Shizuka »

Nowadays? A certain Norbert Michelisz and Tamás Pál Kiss.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

In Singapore,if you were to go out and ask a random person to associate a word with Formula One,9 out of 10 would say Ferrari. Just because they have a Ferrari store in our airport and the biggest shopping mall here. Maybe.

If not,some would say Red Bull due to their recent rise,while others might say Alonso if you asked for a driver. Hamilton also gets the spotlight,but mainly he's known here as "The Guy who is Currentely dating a Pussycat Doll".
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

WaffleCat wrote:Hamilton also gets the spotlight,but mainly he's known here as "The Guy who is Currentely dating a Pussycat Doll".

So they know him more because of his relationship with a singer than for his F1 results?

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Growing up as a kid in the late 80s, there was no competitive F1 driver from Germany. German F1 fans were still mourning the losses of Manfred Winkelhock and Stefan Bellof, mostly. Sportscar aces Jochen Mass and Klaus Ludwig didn't get people out of their seats because motor sports wasn't really happening at all in mainstream media. The major motor sport publication for the German speaking countries was a weekly paper from Switzerland (!)
Amongst German F1 fans, Bernd Schneider and especially Christian Danner were highly regarded.

I got into regularly watching F1 when we got satellite TV in '91. With no German driver on the grid, TV station RTL tried to hype their audience into cheering for the hapless Arrows Porsches. Thank you Enoch for that great article on this episode. It was a great read, especially having experienced the failed attempt at hype from that one TV station which still broadcasts F1 today, and was regularly outperformed on air by the German commentary team from Eurosport. Watching the races on Eurosport was much more exciting than RTL. Anyway, RTL also tried hyping the qualifying efforts of Michael Bartels to their local spectators which, as you all know, turned him into an F1 Reject with 4 DNQs on his resume. Also, back then, there was no "FIA world feed" but the TV stations of the countries staging each GP had to produce the visuals by themselves, and expressing their respective TV director's favoritism live on their broadcast. And when you get mostly pictures of Ferraris for GPs in Italy and mostly pictures of Senna lonely out in front for Brazilian GPs, F1 is not exciting if the commentators don't keep you updated on the action not seen on camera. And RTL just didn't do that, even when Jochen Mass became a boring co-commentator. Luckily, Danner replaced him in the late 90s, bringing along a hurricane of fresh air, of which I must say that it has calmed down to a soft breeze by the late 00s.

The arrival of Michael Schumacher, and the arrival of his success, changed things. Without that, there would not have been a Bitburger-Tränke, and his brother Ralf Schumacher's quick rise to F1 from out of F3 can only explained with the fact that the media hype finally got traction because it was met with actual results, Michael's. And Heinz-Harald Frentzen's. Frentzen fans were usually those who didn't like the Schumacher hype and wanted to support a local, but for the most part, they had not been following F1 before Schumacher arrived during the 91 season.

Only in the 00s, a 4th German driver came upon the scene, despite Jörg Müller testing a Ligier at some point, but his BMW contract kept him from driving a car with Renault engines. It remains a mystery as to why nobody in F1 gave Ellen Lohr a test drive, even after she had won in DTM in the early 90s and came 2nd in the Monaco F3 race.
So the 4th driver on the grid from Germany in the early 00s turned out to be a Mercedes protegee who was part of the marque's ill-fated Le Mans attempt in 99 in which Mark Webber flipped the car twice and Peter Dumbreck flipped it once: Nick Heidfeld. Mercedes wanted him for McLaren but they had to find a seat for him at Sauber. Michael Schumacher was still the most supported driver in Germany back then, and the marques Mercedes and BMW had support from those who didn't like Michael, so it was hardly noticed when Heidfeld had to leave Sauber for Jordan and was outperformed by debutant Timo Glock at Canada whilst being team mates. Glock had made his mark on F1 there and then, but it took him a while to come back. Until then, he went to ChampCar and GP2, not being followed by many.
Later, Adrian Sutil arrived, receiving the same kind of hype from RTL as did Michael Bartels back in 91, and at first, scoring about as high as Bartels as well, with DNQ having largely been abolished during this era of F1.

Being put into the Sauber-BMW as a replacement driver and scoring a P8 at Indianapolis, Sebastian Vettel was surely noticed by the German F1 fanbase which had gotten rather large in number by the mid-00s. His win at Monza in the Toro Rosso some time later was very, very popular amongst the German F1 fanbase (as were the lead laps by Markus Winkelhock at the Nürburgring race with the Nürburgring crowd and local TV audience) which by then, had not experienced one of their locals winning since Michael Schumacher's first retirement. So when Vettel moved to RBR, it was seen by some fans as somewhat dubious because the saying goes "never change a winning team". Yet, it worked and Vettel's first championship was very popular amongst German F1 fans, having both beaten Alonso and Webber on strategy in that Abu Dhabi race.

By then, Michael Schumacher had returned to F1. He got about a year acclimatisation time from his fans but when he didn't win a race with Mercedes-GP in his sophomore comeback year, people got bored with him over here in Germany even more than people on the F1 Rejects board got bored with Nick Heidfeld. And that feeling soon got to the local public perception of Vettel's winning streak as well. German fans dig Vettel but not Christian Horner and not Helmut Marko.

Vettel is still the local favourite overall these days, after Glock moved to Bartels status when moving to Manor Grand Prix and Sutil having thrown a glass.

Oh, and why did I completely forget to write about Nico Rosberg? Maybe this posting of mine is biased after all ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I, for one, barely know anybody in my real life who follows F1 these days. People lost interest and stopped following since it went to pay TV. I know that my father is a Ferrari fan and some of his and my friends who carry minimum interest in the sport tend to support Ferrari and Alonso, but that is pretty much it. Last year, I had a hard time explaining who had won the Spanish GP, so just for you to see. I always had a weak spot for Williams and Sauber. As for drivers, I quite like Alonso these days and always have been a Kimi fan. I also found myself to be rooting for Bianchi and Marussia lately.
Last edited by DanielPT on 13 May 2013, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
girry

Post by girry »

Most people started watching during 1990's when the coverage got better and more frequent in finland - before that it kinda had been more marginal, even at Keke times. Häkkinen was the favorite, then the popularity exploded during the great Mika-Schumi wars. Then he retired, Kimi came in and took all his fans, there were many - even 1/4th of the entire population could be in front of TV's on Sundays. Then in 2010 3/4 of the people quit following and most came back last year for obvious reasons.

THE villains of the story always were Schumacher and Alonso, also both had their own minority of 'fans' who troll at the fans of finnish drivers; even now the main focus in coffeetable discussions etc most probably will be on Alonso and Kimi no matter what happens in the race, for example Malaysian GP this season =|

Hamilton was not liked at all in 2007 but people have kinda 'forgiven' him after that and generally the opinion on him is rather neutral - Vettel otoh is generally quite liked and many people's 2nd favorite, the 'hardcore group' that remained in 2010 seemed to jump onto his bandwagon (naturally as Kimi had not been his 'enemy'). Button doesn't really cause any feelings to the regular fan. Kubica was liked.

Most wished well for Salo but he was 'supported' by relatively few; media attempted to hype Nico up a bit in 2006 by media as 'our boy' but it mainly died off by 2007 since he just is not very Finnish as a person; Kovalainen was liked in his first 2 years and even a bit hyped, but the bad year at McLaren + eternally qualifying 19th in the Lotus-Caterham made him the butt of jokes. Bottas gets surprisingly little attention at all.
when you're dead people start listening
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

F1 was not popular here in Scotland at all, and kind of still isn't. I struggle to find anyone here who knows the first thing about F1. Those who did were usually DC fans back in the day, during his McLaren stint. Nowadays, nobody seems to care much about di Resta, and instead are supporting Red Bull or McLaren. Also a few Kubica fans (but, to be fair, they were Poles who had emigrated here), and a couple of Felipe Massa fans (?!?!).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Undoubtedly the most popular driver in American racing is Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jimmie Johnson a close second.

Kyle Busch has to be among the least liked notable drivers. Not a lot of love for Montoya here either.

The most popular foreign born driver? Probably Helio Castroneves, though if Takuma Sato keeps it up, he may eclipse Helio. Maybe. I hope.

Everybody hates Dario Franchitti. Everybody.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Stramala wrote: Nowadays, nobody seems to care much about di Resta,

Doesn't anybody care about Di Resta :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Kimi-ICE wrote:

BBC and Sky Sports
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:

BBC and Sky Sports

Yeah you would expect my "friends" from the BBC to overhype him and basically any mediocre British sportsperson they see. Who's next? Andy Neate? :lol:
And as for Sky their overhyping isn't too bad but is still a bit irritating that they interview him all the time
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

"Flemish" belgians only care about F1 drivers who are succesful. Despite the commentators trying to Hype D'Ambriosio or Leinders, it never really caught on. As far as Belgian drivers matter, people got interested when Boutsen was winning, and lost interest when he stopped winning. We do have a habit of 'following' dutch drivers (not necessairy supporting them, but always being curious. Partially because of the rivalry of the low countries, but also because dutch drivers have a reputation to crash a lot, which isn't completely untrue. Other than that it's just the international big names that got supported.
The popularity of F1 in general has been demonstrated when Sporza (the sport channel of the national tv network vrt) sometimes decided to cut the broadcast when cycling or tennis was next. With commercial broadcasters (currently vt4 and before that vtm), this has been less of a problem.
The general knowledge of Flemish people is really bad, so bad that people think Jacques Villeneuve was the one that died at Zolder :roll:
This - as far as i'm aware - is totally different in the Wallonia part of Belgium, who are more interested in racing (and quite a lot in rally too), hence why most drivers, sponsors and media come from that part of Belgium. In fact, if Vandoorne makes it to F1, he would be the first Flemish F1 driver ever.
There was however one moment of 'hype', when in 1999, four flemish drivers were racing in F3000. Especially Leinders got hyped up quite a bit, despite Goossens and Saelens obviously being better. People didn't like Van Hooydonck though, because of his personal rivalry with Leinders (which actually lasted quite a few years beyond that). Anyway, after that, people quickly forgot about these guys, and Walloon talents like Baguette were mainly ignored. D'Ambrioso got a little more attention because he made a lot of media-appearances to try to win the flemish public, but is now already forgotten. (and also he's from Brussels, which is more neutral)
However, if a Belgian driver did get his breaktrough (Vandoorne perhaps?), expect quite a bit of hype, as this happened to the football team too, which has been ignored for 10 years, the national team even having to play in stadiums like Gent because of lack of crowd, while now the game against Serbia was sold out in one day.

Apart from F1, the only driver that got a little bit of attention from the Flemish public was Freddy Loix, because he at least was able to win races on European level (though not on world level) Another driver that got some media attention was Koen Wauters, but not because of his racing results. He's actually a media-figure (singer of a pop band and tv-presentor) that turned into a racing driver.
Oh and of course, there were the more rejectful things, like Anderlecht winning the superleague formula and Jean-Pierre Van Rossem sponsoring an F1 team (but then again people wrongfully assume this team was called 'moneytron'). Also Van Rossem still speaks a lot of nonsense like 'Johansson didn't win that race because it would break my heart if my car beat a Ferrari' :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

F1000X wrote:Undoubtedly the most popular driver in American racing is Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jimmie Johnson a close second.

Kyle Busch has to be among the least liked notable drivers. Not a lot of love for Montoya here either.

The most popular foreign born driver? Probably Helio Castroneves, though if Takuma Sato keeps it up, he may eclipse Helio. Maybe. I hope.

Dale Jr. is also incredibly popular. And Danica Patrick is hugely popular, but it seems like Danicamania starting to wear off.

As far as open wheel in concerned, Tony Kanaan is pretty popular with the one-off race fans, probably because he has been around for so long. There really isn't a favoritism for American drivers in favor of foreign ones here.

The principle that hard work is the key to success is an ideal held by many Americans, and that translates into a general distaste for pay drivers.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Hound55 wrote:
F1000X wrote:Undoubtedly the most popular driver in American racing is Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jimmie Johnson a close second.

Dale Jr. is also incredibly popular. And Danica Patrick is hugely popular, but it seems like Danicamania starting to wear off.

As far as open wheel in concerned, Tony Kanaan is pretty popular with the one-off race fans, probably because he has been around for so long. There really isn't a favoritism for American drivers in favor of foreign ones here.

The principle that hard work is the key to success is an ideal held by many Americans, and that translates into a general distaste for pay drivers.

We Americans don't like pay drivers that much. Except for myself :?:

Okay, I like anyone as comical as Délétraz. Makes racing worth watching in an odd way...

As for liked drivers in the states, Dale Jr. Is very popular and Hinchtown seems popular under the name "Manica" :lol:
Tony Kanaan is well liked here in the states as Hound55 wrote.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Danica, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, and Jeff Gordon.

So four overrated hacks and one of the greatest drivers of all time (Gordon).

Our broadcasters really love Chevrolet teams, except Darrell Waltrip and his love affair with Kyle Busch. Busch could murder a baby on live TV and Waltrip would still make excuses for it being the baby's fault. -_-
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Cynon wrote:Danica, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, and Jeff Gordon.

So four overrated hacks and one of the greatest drivers of all time (Gordon).

Our broadcasters really love Chevrolet teams, except Darrell Waltrip and his love affair with Kyle Busch. Busch could murder a baby on live TV and Waltrip would still make excuses for it being the baby's fault. -_-

Tony isn't quite as much overrated hack as he is a much better form of John Andretti who happened to find success in the watered down post-split IndyCar Series, but he has just one less NASCAR championship than Jeff Gordon. Kyle Busch is a volume driver who only cares about wins and doesn't think about the championship picture much. The other two (Danica and Dale Jr.) are dreadfully overrated and combined would be weaker than Clint Bowyer or Matt Kenseth who have much less fanfare behind them.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Other English fans may disagree with me in this thread, but these are just the opinions of the fans I know.

Alonso is very love/hate. People respect his immense talent will not forget 2007 as many fans I know blame Alonso for McLaren's troubles with the FIA and inter-team fights.

Michael Schumacher is very much respected. Which may come as a shock.

Damon Hill is by far, the fans biggest hero. But my friends are all in the same age bracket as me (23-30) so we all grew up with Hill in a Williams/Arrows/Jordan.

Hamilton is seen as a pretty boy who is more interested in spending time in a recording studio rather at a track. I disagree personally.

Button is well liked.

Di Resta not so much.

Jury still out on ChiltonCraze. Majority think money played a part in his seat and will be surprised if he is still in F1 next year.

As well as myself, there's a couple of Sutil fans out there. Champagne glass-gate all forgotten.

Ferrari is popular.

RedBull. No. Not at all.

McLaren are liked a little, but see the team as a marketing operation rather than a proper racing team, like Williams, who are massively respected.

As for the younger drivers, many are keeping an eye on Josh Hill (son of Damon), Joleyon Palmer (son of Jonathan and my one-to-watch) and Sam Bird (Mercedes tester). Josh isn't expected to make it to F1 whilst the other two should be in race-seats in 2015.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Well, I live in a very rural part of Ireland, so most people are on the farm, instead of watching F1. However, I have ascertained that the most popular drivers are Benson Jutton (which given the attitudes of some towards the English is a bit of a shock) and Fernando Alonso, and the most popular team is Ferrari.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Yannick has pretty said everything about Germany.

Although Austrian drivers are rather popular here. At least Gerhard Berger was popular back in the 90's. Mercedes was also popular, which led to Mika Häkkinen being popular in Germany, while he was beating Michael Schumacher for the world championship. This was probably the reason why Häkkinen would later go to DTM.
MIA SAN MIA!
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

1. Henri Toivonen - We Finns rate him highly. We perceive him as one of the greatest driving talents of all time. He is our Senna.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

At my sixth form in East Anglia, most people seem to like Lewis Hamilton. It's 50/50 for Vettel (oddly). Button is pretty well liked. Loads of people loved Kamui, and were gutted when he got the boot from Sauber. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Benetton wrote:1. Henri Toivonen - We Finns rate him highly. We perceive him as one of the greatest driving talents of all time. He is our Senna.

The Portuguese are yet to see their Senna. And I doubt he will come any time soon. Da Costa might become our Ricciardo or, in the best of luck, our Vettel. As for the greatest Portuguese driver of all time, I think Lamy gets it mostly due to his sports car racing career. I also think he was/is more talented than Monteiro.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I have only met one person who likes Formula One, and I'd describe him as a casual fan. I don't really have anyone RL to talk about F1 with to be honest.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

In Brazil...

F-1 is somewhat dead here, because most people here only watch a race if there's a brazilian with winning chances. Ayrton Senna still the most popular driver for obvious reasons + heavily support from brazilian media. Nelson Piquet (who as indirect labeled as "villian" in your feud with Senna by brazilian media) and Emmerson Fittipaldi are pretty anonymous now. There's a lot of people here who don't know anything about they. Rubens Barrichello isn't hated, but it's a "shame symbol" and in your active f-1 days, mainly Ferrari days, was target of many jokes, like: "Slow driver", "even my grandpa is faster than him", "always second place", etc.

Michael Schumacher is the most hated driver here by far, more than Prost was between 88~90.

About active drivers: Felipe Massa is the most supported, because its the only Brazilian here, but he lost a lot of fans after team-orders-gate. Alonso and Hamilton are pretty hated. Vettel is only know because he is winning, but The rest is anonymous (blame Brazilian tv coverage for that, because they simply ignores drivers/teams that aren't Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren, Renault and Mercedes. In other words, they ignore everything that aren't front runners. They talk more about Hamilton's girlfriend than Toro Rosso, for example).

About Teams, Ferrari is the most popular. The Brazilian TV Coverage always spend a lot of time talking about Ferrari and the years of dominance in the early of 2000s + presence of Barrichello and Massa with victory chances helped a lot in this. After Ferrari, Red Bull its the most popular, only because its Red Bull.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Dj_bereta wrote:In Brazil...

F-1 is somewhat dead here, because most people here only watch a race if there's a brazilian with winning chances. Ayrton Senna still the most popular driver for obvious reasons + heavily support from brazilian media. Nelson Piquet (who as indirect labeled as "villian" in your feud with Senna by brazilian media) and Emmerson Fittipaldi are pretty anonymous now. There's a lot of people here who don't know anything about they. Rubens Barrichello isn't hated, but it's a "shame symbol" and in your active f-1 days, mainly Ferrari days, was target of many jokes, like: "Slow driver", "even my grandpa is faster than him", "always second place", etc.

Michael Schumacher is the most hated driver here by far, more than Prost was between 88~90.

About active drivers: Felipe Massa is the most supported, because its the only Brazilian here, but he lost a lot of fans after team-orders-gate. Alonso and Hamilton are pretty hated. Vettel is only know because he is winning, but The rest is anonymous (blame Brazilian tv coverage for that, because they simply ignores drivers/teams that aren't Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren, Renault and Mercedes. In other words, they ignore everything that aren't front runners. They talk more about Hamilton's girlfriend than Toro Rosso, for example).

About Teams, Ferrari is the most popular. The Brazilian TV Coverage always spend a lot of time talking about Ferrari and the years of dominance in the early of 2000s + presence of Barrichello and Massa with victory chances helped a lot in this. After Ferrari, Red Bull its the most popular, only because its Red Bull.

Vettel was first noticed in 2008. When he overtook Hamilton in the final race. Then suddenly everyone in the stands at Interlagos turned into Vettel fans, despite having hever heard of him or his team :lol:

Galvão may be Brazil's (less intelligent) Murray Walker, in terms of longevity, but still, he doesn't help the coverage at all. He doesn't shut up about Massa, says that it's Ferrari's fault Massa doesn't do well, etc. The ignorance in F1 "fans" in Brasil is spread by him. And don't even get me started on Burti. Totally pointless for him to be there, the one thing he actually has to do, he does wrong. Reginaldo Leme is the only sensible one there, and he just got kicked off the Globo commentary team. It's total stupidity.

I would definitely put the lack of F1 interest/knowledge in the general public in Brasil down to two things; Senna has set the bar so ridiculously high, if another Brazilian can't match his level, they just don't care. And the media does a really poor job of representing the sport well, in terms of an overall view. But at least Rubinho joining TV Globo might make the coverage a little more entertaining, I suppose.

Cala a boca Galvão!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Dj_bereta wrote:(blame Brazilian tv coverage for that, because they simply ignores drivers/teams that aren't Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren, Renault and Mercedes.

So they ignore less teams than in Italy: here the coverage only talks about Ferrari and Redbull (or, when Ferrari was fighting McLaren for the championship, Ferrari and McLaren).

Stramala wrote:Galvão may be Brazil's (less intelligent) Murray Walker

I've been seeing on youtube some old races (early 90's) with Globo coverage: I remember Galvao always mentioning Christian Fittipaldi. :lol:

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:

I've been seeing on youtube some old races (early 90's) with Globo coverage: I remember Galvao always mentioning Christian Fittipaldi. :lol:

Well, towards late 2008, I was watching F1 on TF1 (because my dad preferred it for some reason). I will always remember the commentators going about their normal job of commentating the race, then randomly saying "but the really important thing is that Sébastien Bourdais is in 13th position!"
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:(blame Brazilian tv coverage for that, because they simply ignores drivers/teams that aren't Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren, Renault and Mercedes.

So they ignore less teams than in Italy: here the coverage only talks about Ferrari and Redbull (or, when Ferrari was fighting McLaren for the championship, Ferrari and McLaren).

American broadcasts seem to be a lot more impartial as Scott Speed wasn't even Eddie Cheever grade type of driving, and Eddie wasn't particularly stunning in F1 or IndyCar until the split happened.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DanielPT wrote:
Benetton wrote:1. Henri Toivonen - We Finns rate him highly. We perceive him as one of the greatest driving talents of all time. He is our Senna.

The Portuguese are yet to see their Senna. And I doubt he will come any time soon. Da Costa might become our Ricciardo or, in the best of luck, our Vettel. As for the greatest Portuguese driver of all time, I think Lamy gets it mostly due to his sports car racing career. I also think he was/is more talented than Monteiro.

The coverage that the Portuguese media gave to Pedro Lamy during his F1 career was incredible, especially in 1993. The Lotus pit was surrounded by reporters from seemingly every newspaper, radio station and TV station in Portugal. There was more coverage of Lamy than of Ayrton Senna and Senna was incredibly popular in Portugal.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Back in May 2013, I wrote:
As for the younger drivers, many are keeping an eye on Josh Hill (son of Damon), Joleyon Palmer (son of Jonathan and my one-to-watch) and Sam Bird (Mercedes tester). Josh isn't expected to make it to F1 whilst the other two should be in race-seats in 2015.

Maybe he read my post and decided it was enough...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I have only met one person who likes Formula One, and I'd describe him as a casual fan. I don't really have anyone RL to talk about F1 with to be honest.

Poor you. I've only one friend who likes F1- when I try to talk about it with my other friends the conversation (from their side) is limited to "I have the same birthday as Jenson Button", "Cor, Alonso's pretty fit", "Who drives the safety car? Why does it drive so fast? Can I drive the safety car?" and "Juan! Pablo! Montoya!"
In terms of who's most supported, when I went to the British GP this year majority of people seemed to be supporting either Button, Hamilton, Raikkonen or Alonso (or their respective teams). I was surprised by how many Force India supporters I saw: there were more than I thought there'd be. I saw one kid in a Marussia t-shirt the whole weekend. (But then I didn't go about asking everyone who they were supporting, so I'm sure there were more Marussia supporters than one seven year old).
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

14 Hundred Hours wrote:so I'm sure there were more Marussia supporters than one seven year old).

I hope. I'm one myself :)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

go_Rubens wrote:
14 Hundred Hours wrote:so I'm sure there were more Marussia supporters than one seven year old).

That's good to hear! I was kinda disappointed by how few fans of lower down teams I saw- I think being on this forum has mislead me somewhat!
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:

You're seven?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

You're seven?

It's incredible that you know so much about F1 if you are of that age. Mind you, when I was seven years old, I was obsessed with cathedrals, castles and skyscrapers and knew quite a lot about them.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
takagi_for_the_win

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

You're seven?

No way she's seven. Seven year olds don't have that punctuation
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote: I hope. I'm one myself :)
UgncreativeUsergname wrote: You're seven?
takagi_for_the_win wrote: No way she's seven. Seven year olds don't have that punctuation

She? Are you sure? Must have missed that somewhere along the line.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

dr-baker wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote: No way she's seven. Seven year olds don't have that punctuation

Check her sig ;)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Check her sig ;)

14 Hundred Hours is a girl. One would assume go_Rubens is neither a girl, nor seven.

I think things are getting a little lost in translation here...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...