The Team XRC Rallycross Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
nome66

The Team XRC Rallycross Thread

Post by nome66 »

Apparently former F1 Reject Scott Speed is starting in a "guest star car" in the X Gam-*cough*Global Rallycross Championship round 1 race in Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil next weekend, so I thought it would be appropriate to start a Rallycross thread. Also i noticed there wasn't one. so yeah.
It obviously doesn't have to just be about GRC, so post stats, speculation, references, and comments about ERC aswell. What did you guys think of Round one in Lydden Hill? How well do you think the VW Polos will do in both? How well do you think Tanner Foust will do in both series? Liam Doran? Eklund? Hopefully we won't have another suspicious sweep of the championship with the Olsberg Fiestas this season like last. I think Ken Block's M-Sport WRC-ish Fiesta ST has what it takes to take them out, however i feel the opposite of Ken himself lol. anyways BEGIN POSTING
Last edited by nome66 on 13 May 2013, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Jocke1

Re: The Scott Speed Rallycross Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

The two biggest questions are:

Will Scott Speed paint his toenails blue again?
And will he bring his Louis Vuitton man bag to Brazil?
-*:-
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Jocke1 wrote:The two biggest questions are:

I hope the answer to both is yes.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

More importantly: Will he prove to be completely useless in yet another form of racing?

Seriously, this guy is like the real-life Benoit Voeckler. Except for the part where Voeckler is awesome and not a total douche.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

I was going to put Travis Pastrana's name on this thread, but he hasn't been near an open-wheeler yet

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Ah, rally cross. Like rallying, but more obscure

It's entertaining yes and I like it far more than pure rallying, but who watches it these days?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

an increasing amount of Americans (thanks to the X Games) and some europeans?

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

More importantly: Will he prove to be completely useless in yet another form of racing?

Seriously, this guy is like the real-life Benoit Voeckler. Except for the part where Voeckler is awesome and not a total douche.

He will... it's a given.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Nelson Piquet, the Junior, will also take part of the Rallycross event of X-Games
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Ah, rally cross. Like rallying, but more obscure

It's entertaining yes and I like it far more than pure rallying, but who watches it these days?

I do. But not the stunt-driving-in-disguise-solely-for-the-benefit-of-rival-energy-drink-companies that is the American series, I stick to European and British championships.
Forza Forti
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Ye. Global Rallycross is not Rallycross, it's a X-games show thingy.
Though, ERC have been somewhat "dumbed" with the introduction of the Joker laps, which they have to do twice now it looks like.

It'll be interesting to see what ERC can do, with a new promoter, Petter Solberg in the series and rumoured Loeb and Kubica as guest drivers at one (or more) events.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

let us not forget how rallycross started... though i do see a benefit in making it a bit more professional like a touring-car-ish series as it were.
this x games show-boat racing series got old a little, but they are expanding the concept of rallycross to a wider audince, unlike Rally America's two race run back in 2010 with zero tv coverage. i mean, who'd have thought the owner of Bristol Motor Speedway would let in a series with more than left turns?
hopefully the course at New Hampshire isn't awful like last year. that stupid hairpin caused a bunch of issues including a redesign of that section of the track.
it turned from this to the layout used in the race.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

if any of you guys have been watching the X games, so far the track is useless. it's dusty, the layout is crap, and it looks like another olsbergs win.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

guess i picked the right name for this thread! incredible drive in Heat 4 from SCOTT SPEED. spun! recovered! won!
also: those poor little Pug 207s don't seem to have the power output to compete with the other cars on the grid. they appear to be setup for stage rally and can't keep up with the "supercar" class setups.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

I AM A GENIE AT NAMING THREADS RALLYCROSS WIN IN BRAZIL TO SCOTT SPEED

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

nome66 wrote:let us not forget how rallycross started... though i do see a benefit in making it a bit more professional like a touring-car-ish series as it were.

What?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

it started as a TV show stunt. in '64

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The All Knowing Oracle said it was 1967 - but even in 1964, Martin Schanche was old enough to hold a Norwegian driving licence. Somehow, by 1972, the TV broadcasts had drifted over to Norway, he thought "that's the motorsport for me!" and so (in 1975) began 26 years of equal amounts of victory and mayhem...

The urge to go on YouTube and watch as much of it as possible is a strong one, but I have things to build... and I'm not talking about Minecraft.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dinizintheoven wrote:I have things to build...

So he will come?
-*:-
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What I am building is worthy of His Holiness HWNSNBM, even if it will be made to the same approximate standards as the Life L190.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
nome66

Post by nome66 »

ah 1967 minor mistake sorry lad.

also sounds like you're building an Ark-sized L190.....dear lord it would be magnificent

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

nome66 wrote:also sounds like you're building an Ark-sized L190.....dear lord it would be magnificent

Not quite - it's a mere 60x40x20 cm or so. But it will make more noise than an L190. A lot more.

Of course, if anyone has enough wood, feel free to get cracking with the L190 ark. All together now, the horsepower vanished two by two...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

an 1/8 scale? slam a twin-turbocharged conley model engine in there

nome66

Post by nome66 »

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE LOL
scott speed said the because he won in brazil he wants to compete in barcelona's x games as well. maybe asphalt was the wrong idea all along?

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

nome66 wrote:BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE LOL
scott speed said the because he won in brazil he wants to compete in barcelona's x games as well. maybe asphalt was the wrong idea all along?

Scott Speed is the inverse of Jimmie Johnson and Rick Mears. That is going from asphalt to dirt instead of dirt to asphalt.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

but he's not quite the polar opposite.
jimmy wasn't useless on dirt infact he was quite good... speed is slightly unfruitful on the blacktop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-FAkf-3s3c

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

nome66 wrote:but he's not quite the polar opposite.
jimmy wasn't useless on dirt infact he was quite good... speed is slightly unfruitful on the blacktop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-FAkf-3s3c

Jimmie got a lot better on pavement to the point he has been offered a lifetime contract which he refused.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

seeing this, i now wish GRC would return to the coliseum. meh just a thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMq3cUxgcJc
anyways, NPKjr pulling an NPKsr could mean a suspension, which means he might switch some the Nationwide rounds on his calendar to GRC races. I'm dissapointed in him a little, but he was quite good at Foz and i'd like to see more of him in a 4wd Evo.
i honestly got a good chuckle at him jumping the start when the red lights went out instead of waiting for the green lights. F1 leeches into your brain, man

nome66

Re: The Team XRC Rallycross Thread

Post by nome66 »

May i say that due to their ambitious... but *topgear reference* performance in Brazil was worthy of them, and this thread, being called Rejects?
they arrived with underpowered(super 1600 at best) naturally aspirated Pugs. the V6's sounded deep and promising, but such was not their on-track motions. Failing to qualify forward of the rear and also failing to clear the jump with no gap. to think what may have gone down if there were a 70 foot cross-over jump.
I do have high respect for them trying and not packing it in after losing every round they competed in, including the LCQ. We probably won't be seeing them this weekend in Barcelona, being that they are Brazil based.
anyways, due to my magical abilities to make Scott Speed win by naming a non-NASCAR thread after him, i renamed the thread after this team. The Team XRC Rallycross Thread.