F1 Liveries

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
stupot94

F1 Liveries

Post by stupot94 »

Back in 1999 BAR were told that due to the rules, they could not race both cars in two different liveries and so had to race with both colours on both cars split by a zipper.
But how come on the 2008 Brazilian GP, DC had his wings for life colours whilst Mark Webber kept the normal colours.
I have always been intrigued, was there a rule change before then? and do you agree with the rule?
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: F1 Liveries

Post by Klon »

stupot94 wrote:Back in 1999 BAR were told that due to the rules, they could not race both cars in two different liveries and so had to race with both colours on both cars split by a zipper.
But how come on the 2008 Brazilian GP, DC had his wings for life colours whilst Mark Webber kept the normal colours.
I have always been intrigued, was there a rule change before then? and do you agree with the rule?

Brazil was an exception granted to Coulthard by the FIA. I guess if, for example, Michael Schumacher or Rubens Barrichello would ask for a special retirement livery, they'd get said exceptions as well. To be honest, though, I prefer having this rule. There are enough racing series offering individual cars. In F1, a team should look alike.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

stupot94 wrote:Back in 1999 BAR were told that due to the rules, they could not race both cars in two different liveries and so had to race with both colours on both cars split by a zipper.

Perhaps the authorities are prepared to bend the rules for "charitable" reasons but not purely commercial ones. It could also be argued that DC retained the original livery...it was just covered up a bit... ;)...... not sure, off hand, about any regs. governing the application of "sponsors" decals etc...

Probably best if cars in the same team run in the same livery....the possibilities for confusion &/or legal arguments....ugh..
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

eagleash wrote:

Perhaps the authorities are prepared to bend the rules for "charitable" reasons but not purely commercial ones. It could also be argued that DC retained the original livery...it was just covered up a bit... ;)...... not sure, off hand, about any regs. governing the application of "sponsors" decals etc...

Probably best if cars in the same team run in the same livery....the possibilities for confusion &/or legal arguments....ugh..

Not to mention team orders and alike. It would be a mess... And given nowadays lack of sponsors it would mean more sponsors for top teams and even less to backmarkers if said regulation were to change for something more commercially friendly.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Its just something that has perplexed me :?
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Separate liveries have always worked in the US, and they have much bigger fields. I especially liked Max Papis' special 1999 livery which he ran for a few races. I recall Jimmy Vasser running a Superman livery at one of the Michigan races. That was quite a mess, but I liked it nonetheless!

Of course it'll never happen in F1. For the 'professionalism' of the sport. God damnit! I'd love to see one of the RBR's run the usual livery, and the other in the 2006-2008 STR livery. Team Lotus can have one in BRG and another one in either Camel Yellow, Imperial Tobacco colours, or that 90s livery which was decent. Sauber can have a Telmex livery for Perez, and a ripoff of Rodolfo Lavin's 2004 Lola Corona livery. :D
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

It has customarily worked in US racing classes, where it is often more about the spectacle. The drawback there, being that the team identity often becomes secondary, whereas in F1 traditionally is very much a team based sport...
It would take a change in mindset for F1 to be comfortable with the concept
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
JQW

Post by JQW »

Didn't Ligier run two different Gitanes liveries simultaneously during part of 1993?
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

JQW wrote:Didn't Ligier run two different Gitanes liveries simultaneously during part of 1993?

Only Martin Brundle's car for the Japanese GP, I think.
Last edited by noisebox on 09 Jun 2011, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

And in 1984 didn't Tyrell run their cars with slightly different liveries?

I recall one of the cars being black and the other being maroon or something.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Dan B wrote:And in 1984 didn't Tyrell run their cars with slightly different liveries?

I recall one of the cars being black and the other being maroon or something.

Correct. Stefan Bellof's car was black with Maredo sponsorship, Martin Brundle's was brown with Delonghi. Also, when Stefan Johansson stepped in for Martin Brundle when he was injured, his car was blue with Systime sponsorship.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
JQW

Post by JQW »

Then there was Keke Rosberg's yellow & white McLaren at the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix.

XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

JQW wrote:Then there was Keke Rosberg's yellow & white McLaren at the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix.

This one looks particularly silly, the car was left for months at the sunlight and the color faded out...
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I'm surprised they didn't go for blue instead for Rosberg's car. It would have made a good ad for Marlboro Milds. (If they exsisted in 1986.)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

noisebox wrote:
JQW wrote:Didn't Ligier run two different Gitanes liveries simultaneously during part of 1993?

What is that? A women waving her purse around? Where'd that come from?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
nome66

Post by nome66 »

stop drivin' so fast! *WACK*
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

:lol: Good one!

I think the key reasons why teams are expected to run the same livery are so that the two cars can easily be identified as being part of the same team (more inmportant in F1), and also for promotional material reasons.

Remember that documents like race programs get printed weeks or even months in advance and F1 races have a lot of 'inexperienced' spectators who actually have to use the program to work out which car and driver is which.

For example, I'm sure Brawn GP would have loved to have redesigned their livery mid-season, but save for a few pieces of red text they weren't allowed.

So when IS it allowed? I'd say when after the change you can still identify the car as being from that team helps, and otherwise only in particularly charitable or signifcant situations.
Last edited by TimmyB on 10 Jun 2011, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Its a castanet, silly!
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
noisebox wrote:

It was a special one-off livery designed by Hugo Pratt (graphic artist, author of Corto Maltese among others). Gitane is french for gypsy, so the logo for Gitanes has always been a woman holding a castanet (no stereotyping there).
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Two liveries in CART have been around for a while,

I remember Pac West, Gugelmin had 'Hollywood' sponsorship in the red car, while Blundell had Motorola,in blue and white

Team Rahal: Miller Light (Papis) Shell (Kenny Brack, Bryan Herta)

to name a few
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

David AGS wrote:Two liveries in CART have been around for a while,

I remember Pac West, Gugelmin had 'Hollywood' sponsorship in the red car, while Blundell had Motorola,in blue and white

Team Rahal: Miller Light (Papis) Shell (Kenny Brack, Bryan Herta)

to name a few

I never liked the Hollywood liveried cars. I just found Blue, Red and Green together insane. Also, Miller Lite on any car looks fantastic. Be it Genuine Draft or any other. All the liveries are superb! :D
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
jpm

Post by jpm »

Tomas Scheckter's livery at this years indy 500 was insane!

LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

JQW wrote:Then there was Keke Rosberg's yellow & white McLaren at the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix.

To be honest, that is one of my favorite alternative liveries.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

I really wish we could have something like this again 8-)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

http://8w.forix.com/p86.html

Don't know if you all have seen this, it explains most of the liveries mentioned, seems Marlboro requested the "Lights Treatment" then hated it due to TV, which was too bad as I know far more people who smoke Lights that the real Cowboy Killers themselves. This must be a Marlboro quirk, as I've been told Ferrari's current crop of cars (last five years or so) actually look quite orange in person, so that they'll be proper Marlboro red on HDTV. Any truth to this?

Nevertheless, I always like the fad over here in the late '80s-early '90s where teams would run same sponsors but different liveries. For example the Porsche Indycars had Quakerstate. The decals were all the same, but One was green with silver trim, while the other was silver with green trim.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

lgaquino wrote:I really wish we could have something like this again 8-)

Me too although that could invite this sort of malarkey....
Oh, Alain...
Just For One Day...
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

On the Williams, I do recall reading somewhere that McLaren were very close to landing the SEGA money but Williams got the nod. In revenge, McLaren put logos of a squashed hedgehog on the car or something like that.

A similar topic was discussed in 2010, re Ferrari livery and that hedgehog appears there too!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1018&start=30
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Monstrobolaxa

Post by Monstrobolaxa »

Another interesting fact about the SEGA deal was that BMS Scuderia Lola was also in the hunt for the SEGA sponsorship, but SEGA said it had no interest whatsoever in sponsoring a Formula 1 team and a few weeks later it shows up on the Williams.

I just think SEGA didn't want to call their project crap!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

David AGS wrote:On the Williams, I do recall reading somewhere that McLaren were very close to landing the SEGA money but Williams got the nod. In revenge, McLaren put logos of a squashed hedgehog on the car or something like that.

That is indeed correct. For every victory that McLaren scored that year, a sticker of a squashed hedgehog appeared on the Macca :geek:
TORA! TORA! TORA!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I just thought it was all due to Senna sticking one over Williams (in particular Prost) at Donington!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Wallio wrote:This must be a Marlboro quirk, as I've been told Ferrari's current crop of cars (last five years or so) actually look quite orange in person, so that they'll be proper Marlboro red on HDTV. Any truth to this?

I've definitely heard that before. I also understand that the Vodafone red on McLarens is actually orange, but looks red on camera.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

Wallio wrote:This must be a Marlboro quirk, as I've been told Ferrari's current crop of cars (last five years or so) actually look quite orange in person, so that they'll be proper Marlboro red on HDTV. Any truth to this?

Marlboro has used dayglo red long before HDTV came along, which has a distinct orangeish look when seen in person under sunlight. The cars just appear bright red on TV and pictures which I think is due to how the color red is "translated" in media. Ferrari switched to the dayglo red when Marlboro became their title sponsor in 1997, used that until early into the 2007 season when they switched to a dark metallic red that looks closer scarlet. It looks like they used that through the 2009 season, then reverted back to the Marlboro red for 2010, but I haven't seen those cars in person to confirm.
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:

I've definitely heard that before. I also understand that the Vodafone red on McLarens is actually orange, but looks red on camera.

Similarly, the gold colour on the original JPS Lotus cars had a slightly yellow tinge to them in order to help it stand out slightly more from the black background on TV, rather than being the pure gold colour that everybody seems to remember it as.

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

Marlboro has used dayglo red long before HDTV came along, which has a distinct orangeish look when seen in person under sunlight. The cars just appear bright red on TV and pictures which I think is due to how the color red is "translated" in media. Ferrari switched to the dayglo red when Marlboro became their title sponsor in 1997, used that until early into the 2007 season when they switched to a dark metallic red that looks closer scarlet. It looks like they used that through the 2009 season, then reverted back to the Marlboro red for 2010, but I haven't seen those cars in person to confirm.

I cannot be sure, but I think that, due to the pressure on the team to remove the Marlboro "barcode" logo and any reference to Marlboro from the team name, that the shade of red used does also seem to be marginally darker than it was beforehand (i.e. a bit closer to what it was in 2009) in order to put a little distance between themselves and Marlboro.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

See that makes sense, but I've seen some Penske Indycars (pre-ciggy ban) in person, and I can't remember them being orange. Rose-coloured glasses perhaps?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

I read that Spyker's original livery in early 2007 was a lot more orange than it was when raced, but the orange paint didn't look right when filmed. I could've also read somewhere that the pre-97 Marlboro Ferraris, under some conditions looked maroon.

More info on the Spyker: http://www.f1colours.com/2007/03/13/spy ... ge-livery/
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I always got the impression that Marlboro sponsored cars (McLaren and Ferrari) sometimes looked dark orange on pictures, so there must be something true about it. In the McLaren days, sometimes it even looked fluorescent Orange. Or is this just my imagination? :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Another question
TimmyB wrote:For example, I'm sure Brawn GP would have loved to have redesigned their livery mid-season, but save for a few pieces of red text they weren't allowed.

Didn't Midland chnage from black/white/red to orang/silver in 2006 due to a change in sponsors. I heard rumours that Brawn wanted to change their livery, but I don't know if it remained the same due to the rules, or the fact that they like the livery, and it was quite well known, seeing how the season had started.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:

IIRC, Ferrari actually resorted to Rosso Corsa at the start of 2007, but from Monaco onwards, ran the metallic scarlet, to improve how the cars looked on TV.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

About US racing teams and liveries. Aren't the teams structured in such as way as to esentially run a 2in1 kind of thing? 2 separate drivers/race engineers/etc... and naturally sponsorship deals. But the cars are both owned and managed by the same team and financially exist as one. It would also make it easier to accomodate driver sponsorship.

That may be a thing of the past though, i have not followed recent US races. I do recall that in the IndyCar/CART heyday it was perfectly normal to have separate sponsorship, and the majority of the teams operated that way. It was harder on the casual fans maybe, but casual fans don't care about teams so much, but the drivers leading and winning. And if you follow the sport long enough you learn the teams.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:About US racing teams and liveries. Aren't the teams structured in such as way as to esentially run a 2in1 kind of thing? 2 separate drivers/race engineers/etc... and naturally sponsorship deals. But the cars are both owned and managed by the same team and financially exist as one. It would also make it easier to accomodate driver sponsorship.

That may be a thing of the past though, i have not followed recent US races. I do recall that in the IndyCar/CART heyday it was perfectly normal to have separate sponsorship, and the majority of the teams operated that way. It was harder on the casual fans maybe, but casual fans don't care about teams so much, but the drivers leading and winning. And if you follow the sport long enough you learn the teams.

Yup. Still is like that, for the most part. Ganassi and Penske are the only two exceptions (that I can think of, I've only started following it) in Indycar, as two of their cars have very similar liveries. But Penske, like several other teams, is a three car operation, and their third car has a livery very different from the other two.
NASCAR is still like that, too.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.