Tracks you would like to see again or appear in F1 Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Tracks you would like to see again or appear in F1 Threa

Post by Ataxia »

AVUS? Oh, lord no...one DRS failure and suddenly the atmosphere will change completely.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:AVUS? Oh, lord no...one DRS failure and suddenly the atmosphere will change completely.

I see your point. F1 can't rely on technology all of the time.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

How about we stop the discussion of AVUS because I am tired of arguing with other people for God's sake. I didn't come here to b**** about the AVUS!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Oh, what about AVUS with two DRS zones, one down the length of each straight???

No, because AVUS is a reject track and should be left to rot.

So, AVUS is a reject track? THIS IS F1 REJECTS, FOR GOODNESS' SAKE! Although the danger is a big part of it, you don't hear people complain about Monza, do you?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Id like to see Aintree revived just for the hell of it.

Of course, they'll have to take all the jumps down first and keep the horses away (joke).
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Oh, what about AVUS with two DRS zones, one down the length of each straight???

No, because AVUS is a reject track and should be left to rot.

So, AVUS is a reject track? THIS IS F1 REJECTS, FOR GOODNESS' SAKE! Although the danger is a big part of it, you don't hear people complain about Monza, do you?

Reject drivers and teams are one thing. I'm all for reject drivers and teams. Reject tracks, though, are quite another. AVUS deserves to be abandoned and forgotten.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

dr-baker wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:No, because AVUS is a reject track and should be left to rot.

Reject drivers and teams are one thing. I'm all for reject drivers and teams. Reject tracks, though, are quite another. AVUS deserves to be abandoned and forgotten.

Abandoned, yes. Forgotten, no. AVUS is, and should remain, a peculiar footnote in motorsport history. We should never consider racing there again in a million years, but it's one of the most interesting tracks there has ever been, for both amusing and morbid reasons, which is why I, along with, I suspect, many others, am bizarrely fond of it.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

CoopsII wrote:Id like to see Aintree revived just for the hell of it.

Of course, they'll have to take all the jumps down first and give the horses to tesco (joke).

fixed....
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

New tracks: Sarthe - F1 needs more high speed circuits

Returning tracks: Adelaide, Watkins Glen, A1 Ring, Phoenix spring to mind

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I have a bizarre idea:

How about looking at some of the courses and drive them in the reverse direction and if that changes anything?

For some reason I think that Valencia would be better in the reverse direction because yo would be taking the first few corners (now last few corners) considerably faster. I also think that the Indian Grand Prix and Shanghai course would have been a better course if in reverse as well.

Course this goes against the FIA first corner rules I pointed out, but if we put that aside I think some courses could be more interesting if raced in reverse

Monaco would be so chaotic in reverse, tightest first corner ever, carnage on lap 1 guaranteed.

This needs to be done.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Really? Phoenix? That track bored me to hell.

On the other hand, the other ideas aren't bad and F1 doesn't have enough high speed tracks. Red Bull wouldn't dominate every race :)

F1 also needs variety in it's tracks, which means the Tilkedromes should go away and Bernie should get a track designer who knows how to build a good track with preferably a set up compromise. There could be better racing. Let Tilke do the architecture which he excels at.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

go_Rubens wrote:Really? Phoenix? That track bored me to hell.

It'd give us some much needed attrition in races. More chance of Marussia and Caterham scoring points.

go_Rubens wrote:On the other hand, the other ideas aren't bad and F1 doesn't have enough high speed tracks. Red Bull wouldn't dominate every race :)

F1 also needs variety in it's tracks, which means the Tilkedromes should go away and Bernie should get a track designer who knows how to build a good track with preferably a set up compromise. There could be better racing. Let Tilke do the architecture which he excels at.

There are some good Tilke tracks out there, A1-Ring actually is one of them, as well as Shanghai, Sepang and Istanbul. Those prove that he isn't terrible, but he hasn't designed a good circuit since at least 2005. The others suck ass.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

redbulljack14 wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:I have a bizarre idea:

How about looking at some of the courses and drive them in the reverse direction and if that changes anything?

For some reason I think that Valencia would be better in the reverse direction because yo would be taking the first few corners (now last few corners) considerably faster. I also think that the Indian Grand Prix and Shanghai course would have been a better course if in reverse as well.

Course this goes against the FIA first corner rules I pointed out, but if we put that aside I think some courses could be more interesting if raced in reverse

Monaco would be so chaotic in reverse, tightest first corner ever, carnage on lap 1 guaranteed.

This needs to be done.

Not to mention leaping down Eau Rouge like a cowboy riding a missile off a cliff.Or taking Shanghai's Turn 13 at full throttle,while trying to brake in the middle of the turn for the chicanery up ahead.Or having the entire field blast into Juncao on lap 1.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Just to throw an idea out there, how about Mexico City returning to F1?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Barbazza wrote:Pescara!

PS Not really. Though a triangle shaped track would be nice.

Pocono?
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Pocono?

No way...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Pocono?

They repaved/widen the infield road course a few years back to try to get a Grade 1 circuit license. The local rumor was to get F1 (Indy was over and COTA didn't exist). I believe it is currently a Grade 1T circuit, as they are in constant talks with Grand-Am about a race, and I believe Grand-Am requires a Grade 1T designation. Off topic, but when Miller Motorsports Park (1T) was built, they claimed the only difference between a 1T and 1 Grade was a $25,000,000 fee to the FIA (which they refused to pay). Nothing else. Is this true?

Back on topic:

Bring Back: Mexico City, South Africa, A1-Ring, Istanbul, Argintina, and Paul Richard

Drop: Abby Dabby, New Jersey, Bahrain, and Korea

With the current Concorde Agreement allowing for 22 races, those changes plus the new Russian GP in 2014, this would give you 22 races in 22 countries on 6 continents, with a strong European-base, but big footprints in both North and South America.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:Drop: Abby Dabby, New Jersey, Bahrain, and Korea

How about we give New Jersey more than 0 racing laps before we write it off, mmkay?

Also, yeah, I do believe that the only difference between a Grade 1 and a Grade 1T is how much money you're willing to give the FIA. Not 100% on that though.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio, the New Jersey track hasn't been raced at yet!

On another topic, I am looking forward to the race in New Jersey. There is elevation change (a lot of it) and one long flat out stretch. The climb up the hill should be epic. The track may be similar to Monaco in terms of how twisty it is, but I am looking forward to the race.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:Wallio, the New Jersey track hasn't been raced at yet!

On another topic, I am looking forward to the race in New Jersey. There is elevation change (a lot of it) and one long flat out stretch. The climb up the hill should be epic. The track may be similar to Monaco in terms of how twisty it is, but I am looking forward to the race.

Same here, I think it'll be an exciting race as well.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Obviously Jersey hasn't been run yet, but really does F1 need 2 American races? As an American, I safely say no (of course I believe that no country should have two races per year, except for Britain and Italy. And maybe France, but I guess I'm just a werido.) And really, its a street circuit so how good can it be? And I live only about 2 hours away, so I can tell you the traffic in/out of that area is awful on a good day. And Jersey hotel prices are... less than welcoming shall we say? That be said if it goes off next year (they missed this year, and honestly while work is ongoing it is SLOW at this point, admittedly Austin was the same way and ended up ok) I will be there. But really if it gets canned, I say no big loss.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio wrote:Obviously Jersey hasn't been run yet, but really does F1 need 2 American races? As an American, I safely say no (of course I believe that no country should have two races per year, except for Britain and Italy. And maybe France, but I guess I'm just a werido.) And really, its a street circuit so how good can it be? And I live only about 2 hours away, so I can tell you the traffic in/out of that area is awful on a good day. And Jersey hotel prices are... less than welcoming shall we say? That be said if it goes off next year (they missed this year, and honestly while work is ongoing it is SLOW at this point, admittedly Austin was the same way and ended up ok) I will be there. But really if it gets canned, I say no big loss.

I understand the bad traffic as I have been through the area multiple times, and hotel prices are high, but I think the American GP has a potential to be great. Even with the bad traffic and high hotel rates, F1 fans who go to races can tolerate this. Look at Istanbul. Access to spectators was not good, yet the track got some large crowds. Plus, can't people use Hotwire?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

CoopsII wrote:Id like to see Aintree revived just for the hell of it.

Of course, they'll have to take all the jumps down first and keep the horses away (joke).

If Aintree was revived, that would be awesome. That is all I have to say.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

redbulljack14 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Really? Phoenix? That track bored me to hell.

It'd give us some much needed attrition in races. More chance of Marussia and Caterham scoring points.

go_Rubens wrote:On the other hand, the other ideas aren't bad and F1 doesn't have enough high speed tracks. Red Bull wouldn't dominate every race :)

There are some good Tilke tracks out there, A1-Ring actually is one of them, as well as Shanghai, Sepang and Istanbul. Those prove that he isn't terrible, but he hasn't designed a good circuit since at least 2005. The others suck ass.

COTA isn't half bad in my opinion.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Old Hockenheim. With DRS. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

James1978 wrote:Old Hockenheim. With DRS. :)

What a show that would make. Too bad Hockenheim is slowly being reclaimed by nature. The Tilkefication of the track sucks big time. They redesigned the track "for the fans" :lol: Yet, the race gets less people showing up for the race now than a practice session back then in the blasts down the forest.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

when i am on the computer tonight i shall chip my 2p in
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potrero_de_los_Funes_Circuit

Not sure if this has been suggested, but ever since it drew rave reviews since re-opening in 2008 I've thought it might be an idea.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

tracks i would like to see off of the calender for good

1.bahrain
2.catalunya
3.valencia
4.hockenheim
5.singapore
6.sochi
7.yeongam
8.buddh
9.yas marina
10.COTA

tracks i would like to see on the calender AKA ultimate calender in no particular order.

1.Australia:Bathurst
2.Austria:Salzburgring
3.Argentina:Portero De Los Funes
4.Brazil:Interlagos Old
5.Belgium:Spa
6.Canada:Montreal
7.Czech Republic:Brno
8.France:Charade Rosier Proposal 1956
9.Germany:Old Hockenheim
10.Hungary:Hungaroring
11.Europe:Brands Hatch
12.San Marino:Imola
13.Vatican:Enna Pegursa
14.Japan:Autopolis
15.Italy:Monza
16.China:Macau
17.U.S.A:Road America
18.U.A.E:Dubai Autodrome
19.Britain:Silverstone
20.Mexico:Mexico City
21.Spain:Montjuic Park
22.South Africa:Kyalami

job done i belive :mrgreen:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Having looked at this thread, there is a fair bit of love for Imola. Now this might belong in the unpopular opinions thread, but, as a track, I don't miss Imola at all. Certainly, pre-94, I'm sure it was pretty ballsy, what with Villeneuve, Tamburello et al. but since the events of 94, with chicanes being inserted to break up the flow, it really had nothing to separate it from the crowd, bar heritage. Another bugbear for me is that overtaking there always seemed nigh-on impossible. I know that back in the middle part of the last decade, overtaking was rare on all but a handful of tracks, but at Imola it always seemed worse, mainly down to the lack of long straights for slipstreaming, which is how most overtakes were done. Now, I don't know if with DRS and the barmy racing we have these days would make the track more bearable, but I certainly don't miss it. My 2 cents.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

On the current schedule, I would eliminate these tracks:

Bahrain
Valencia
New Hockenheim
Nurburgring (on alternating schedule with Hockenheim)
Korea
India
Yas Marina
COTA

Tracks I would bring to the schedule:

Austria (Red Bull Ring)
San Marino (Imola)
Old Hockenheim
Jerez (as European GP)
South Africa (Old Kyalami)
Bathurst (as replacement for Melbourne)
France (Paul Ricard with tighter first chicane and one mile straight)
Brands Hatch (replacement for Silverstone)
Watkins Glen (replacement for COTA)
Turkey (Istanbul)

Also, I have looked up information on Sochi, and the track will be entirely flat and the only corner that I think is interesting is turn three. The only way passing can be done here I think is with DRS. I wouldn't even go there.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Time to bring back the Oporto street circuit. F1 cars racing over tram lines and cobbles? I'm all for it! :P

I actually like the COTA. Definitely one of the better Tilke circuits.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:Time to bring back the Oporto street circuit. F1 cars racing over tram lines and cobbles? I'm all for it! :P

I actually like the COTA. Definitely one of the better Tilke circuits.

COTA is a better Tilke track, but it is not as good as the Glen, Road America, or Laguna Seca.

As for Oporto, heck yeah!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:Also, I have looked up information on Sochi, and the track will be entirely flat and the only corner that I think is interesting is turn three. The only way passing can be done here I think is with DRS. I wouldn't even go there.

10/11/12 could potentially be neat, but otherwise I agree with you, it's all boring nigh-identical angular corners. And most of them are just square, so they don't even differ in whether they're 90-degree turns/hairpins/etc.. I actually think it'll be really easy to pass because of every corner having such a low radius.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Also, I have looked up information on Sochi, and the track will be entirely flat and the only corner that I think is interesting is turn three. The only way passing can be done here I think is with DRS. I wouldn't even go there.

10/11/12 could potentially be neat, but otherwise I agree with you, it's all boring nigh-identical angular corners. And most of them are just square, so they don't even differ in whether they're 90-degree turns/hairpins/etc.. I actually think it'll be really easy to pass because of every corner having such a low radius.

You might be right. But, who goes to a track with no elevation change?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Wait Tracks.

I would love to see Dijon again. Old Hockenheim. Donnington Park.
Last edited by Shadaza on 30 Mar 2013, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Message me on Discord.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

go_Rubens wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

You might be right. But, who goes to a track with no elevation change?

Joey Zyla :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shadaza wrote:Wait Tracks.

Dijon would be great, but the circuit is outdated. Some modern improvements could be made. Hockenheim was destroyed thanks to Bernie, even though he could have improved the place while leaving the layout the same. Donnington Park is awesome, and should return to F1.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

go_Rubens wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Wait Tracks.

Dijon would be great, but the circuit is outdated. Some modern improvements could be made. Hockenheim was destroyed thanks to Bernie, even though he could have improved the place while leaving the layout the same. Donnington Park is awesome, and should return to F1.

Still kind of mad that they let old Hockenheim grow wild. But at least the new layout is really fun to drive in racing games. So much side by side action!
Message me on Discord.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shadaza, you don't want to know how mad I was when Hockenheim was redesigned. Surely, the FIA could have improved the issues with the track without redesigning the track? Hockenheim was a classic. Now, the track is any ordinary track today. Nothing special.

Someone on YouTube said, " Hockenheim was Gerhard Berger's hunting ground. Now, it looks like a place to film an episode of 'Man vs Wild.'"
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:Shadaza, you don't want to know how mad I was when Hockenheim was redesigned. Surely, the FIA could have improved the issues with the track without redesigning the track? Hockenheim was a classic. Now, the track is any ordinary track today. Nothing special.

Someone on YouTube said, " Hockenheim was Gerhard Berger's hunting ground. Now, it looks like a place to film an episode of 'Man vs Wild.'"

I'm not mad that they redesigned Hockenheim, as I'm one of the people who doesn't like the old layout. Still mad that they tore it up, though.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in