Submit A Reject

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Submit A Reject

Post by Faustus »

I was at pre-season testing Estoril in 1997 when the rear wing fell off his Stewart and he had a huge accident. Nasty. Can't have helped much with his confidence in the car.
I think he did quite well in his one race with McLaren in 1995 (Pacific GP, Ti-Aida, right?). He had very little testing beforehand and did a decent job and brought the car home in one piece. He qualified well, 12th, two places behind Blundell and 0.6 seconds slower and finished right behind Blundell. The car wasn't that good but I think the expectations of him were unreasonably high.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Faustus wrote:I was at pre-season testing Estoril in 1997 when the rear wing fell off his Stewart and he had a huge accident. Nasty. Can't have helped much with his confidence in the car.
I think he did quite well in his one race with McLaren in 1995 (Pacific GP, Ti-Aida, right?). He had very little testing beforehand and did a decent job and brought the car home in one piece. He qualified well, 12th, two places behind Blundell and 0.6 seconds slower and finished right behind Blundell. The car wasn't that good but I think the expectations of him were unreasonably high.

It must be Champ Car that ruins careers. I remember on ESPN's season review they had a driver ranking and Magnussen was third or in that area. The hopes were high but since he didn't have a ride in 1996, he ended up substituting for both Penske and Hogan Racing in Champ Car.
Last edited by RejectSteve on 22 Apr 2009, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

RejectSteve wrote:
Faustus wrote:I was at pre-season testing Estoril in 1997 when the rear wing fell off his Stewart and he had a huge accident. Nasty. Can't have helped much with his confidence in the car.

It must be Champ Car. I remember on ESPN's season review they had a driver ranking and Magnussen was third or in that area. The hopes were high but since he didn't have a ride in 1996, he ended up substituting for both Penske and Hogan Racing in Champ Car.

No, definitely Estoril in probably February 1997, in the Stewart SF1. Here:

http://www.insidef1.com/ns/ns00971.html
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Faustus wrote:No, definitely Estoril in probably February 1997, in the Stewart SF1. Here:

My bad, I didn't clarify what I wrote. Champ Car is where drivers go to destroy any chance of future F1 successes. I'll fix that.

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

RejectSteve wrote:
Faustus wrote:No, definitely Estoril in probably February 1997, in the Stewart SF1. Here:

My bad, I didn't clarify what I wrote. Champ Car is where drivers go to destroy any chance of future F1 successes. I'll fix that.

No problem, mate! I didn't mean for the post to sound snippy, so I apologise if it did. It was never my intention to do so.
Magnussen replaced Emerson Fittipaldi at Hogan Racing in 1996, driving a Penske, right? When Fittipaldi almost killed himself in this huge crash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L8RBsqEIlQ
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Faustus wrote:No problem, mate! I didn't mean for the post to sound snippy, so I apologise if it did. It was never my intention to do so.
Not at all, just served a handy reminder. I appreciate it!

That shunt certainly gave him a ring, chose to retire after that one. The man famous for "King Hiro," he should have gotten into constructorship after his career. Might have been more successful than during his career. Who did he think he was, Chris Amon? :lol:

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Doesn't Stephen south qualify as a reject? 1 race, 1 failure to qualify. Lost his leg in tragic circumstances, but he could have been any good?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yuji Ide x100000000000

Followed closely by Ralph Firman, and Antonio Pizzonia for the following alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8uZGDAdQE
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

watka wrote:Antonio Pizzonia for the following alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8uZGDAdQE

That was all by design. The sole reason is was in that car was to demonstate the safety level of that particular model of Jaguar. :)

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RejectSteve wrote:
watka wrote:Antonio Pizzonia for the following alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8uZGDAdQE

That was all by design. The sole reason is was in that car was to demonstate the safety level of that particular model of Jaguar. :)

That's a funny way to do it!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Jan Magnussen was in DTM / ITC during the same time as the likes of Juan-Pablo Montoya, Dario Franchitti and Giancarlo Fisichella, the latter driving an Alfa, the others Mercedes. Magnussen was the one of the 4 young drivers who impressed the motorsport world the most during those years, therefore he got the McLaren drive on behalf of Mercedes as their reserve driver. Unfortunately, then he had that accident in the Stewart, which cost him raw speed. It's somewhat reminiscent of the driving careers of Karl Wendlinger, JJ Lehto and Pedro Lamy, whose driving career was harmed by accidents in a similar fashion, like had happened to so many drivers in generations before. Somehow, all of them were more or less competitive again by the time they had gotten to sports cars.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

How did F1 Rejects miss Beppe Gabbiani?

17 races, 3 retirements, 14 DNQs.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

On a few earlier points:

Popi_Larrauri wrote:PD: Osella deserves a MASSIVE article, and should be merged with the Fondmetal one.

I sent in an e-mail suggesting that before the Fondmetal article was published, but nobody took me up on that idea. Perhaps they had got too close to completing the article to be able to change it.

In response to the Brundle/no wins record question, I believe the holder of that record is actually Andrea De Cesaris, who started 208 Grand Prix without winning a single one of them. Brundle, I believe, but I could be wrong about this has either the most second places, or most podiums without a win, and that's the record Heidfeld is aiming for.

On the Tarquini/Ghinzani average points issue, I believe they come out with roughly the same score if you take their points score out the races they started, rather than the races that they entered, but if you count the races that they entered, then Tarquini holds the record, I agree.

I agree with all those who have suggested Tarquini, as he really does deserve an article, as he did a good job with some poor to mediocre equipment, and if Fondmetal had had more in 1992, perhaps he really could have achieved something in F1.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Johnny Claes.

Seriously, the last place finisher from the very first World Championship GP definitely deserves a profile on the site.

Tazio Nuvolari could count too, you know--he never scored a point because he never even raced in the Championship :mrgreen:
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
hypocaust

Post by hypocaust »

How about Tony Marsh?
He was a six times British hillclimb champion and started 4 Grand Prixs between 1957-61, with his best result being 8th place in the 1958 German GP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Marsh_(racing_driver)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/5926879/Tony-Marsh.html
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

hypocaust wrote:How about Tony Marsh?
He was a six times British hillclimb champion and started 4 Grand Prixs between 1957-61, with his best result being 8th place in the 1958 German GP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/5926879/Tony-Marsh.html

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but he doesn't sound particularly interesting.

As long as Danny Ongais is up before I die of old age, I'm not complaining.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

Lella Lombardi, the only woman to score points. Or rather half a point.
Tora Takagi.
Gijs Van Lennep
Divina Galica, one of the less known female F1 drivers. 3 entries, didnt qualify.
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
hypocaust

Post by hypocaust »

shinji wrote:
hypocaust wrote:How about Tony Marsh?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but he doesn't sound particularly interesting.

As long as Danny Ongais is up before I die of old age, I'm not complaining.

tbh I'd never heard of him till I read his (very late btw) obituary this morning, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who'd make for a more interesting read. I only suggested him as reading his obit I realised "F1 Reject, woohoo!".
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Faustus wrote:Because I'm sad, I actually made a list of some drivers, back when the writers were still accepting submissions. Let's see:

Zsolt Baumgartner
Enrique Bernoldi
Luciano Burti
Martin Donnelly
Robert Doornbos
Tomas Enge
Ralph Firman
John Fitch
Patrick Friesacher
Naoki Hattori
Nicolas Kiesa
Pedro Lamy
Vitantonio Liuzzi
Jan Magnussen
Franck Montagny
Max Papis
Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi
Roland Ratzenberger
Toranosuke Takagi
Justin Wilson
Sakon Yamamoto

Ratzenberger cannot really be considered a reject.... More along the lines of Talent Tragicly Lost
muttley

Post by muttley »

Notwithstanding the fact that his selflessness at Zandvoort makes him one of the greatest Formula One heroes, I agree that David Purley has to be included in the list of Rejects. Why?

* Drove one race for the miserable Token team.
* Set up with family money his own reject team LEC, that built a horrible car that nearly killed him.
* After the disbanding of LEC, the engineers created Onyx.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

muttley wrote:Notwithstanding the fact that his selflessness at Zandvoort makes him one of the greatest Formula One heroes, I agree that David Purley has to be included in the list of Rejects. Why?

* Drove one race for the miserable Token team.
* Set up with family money his own reject team LEC, that built a horrible car that nearly killed him.
* After the disbanding of LEC, the engineers created Onyx.

You are right, he was a great man and really deserves to be honoured with an extensive biography on this site.
I think he is the most known F1 driver with 0 points on his tally.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I would point out, however, that Onyx actually had quite a good car in 1989, so I think the trend is broken somewhat in that little sequence at that point.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

If Bernie Ecclestone had a profile on F1Rejects, I doubt Jamie or Enoch would talk much about his racing career, just how he's bathplug up Formula 1.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Vitantonio Liuzzi can't be considered for reject status yet, seeing has he has a race drive for next year.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:Vitantonio Liuzzi can't be considered for reject status yet, seeing has he has a race drive for next year.

He does?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yes.
Its probably with Force India, but we can't know for certain.
Though he has confirmed he has a race drive for next year with a team that is one of the current 10, not the newcomers.
But if it was BMW he is screwed lol.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
HELLRAZOR7

Post by HELLRAZOR7 »

ags would be a good read. id love to see an in depth one of the footwork porsche story
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Lets put it this way: Hold off all and every reject profile till you've gotten the epitome of a reject team into the site: OSELLA!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

DonTirri wrote:Lets put it this way: Hold off all and every reject profile till you've gotten the epitome of a reject team into the site: OSELLA!

So true :) .

They needed to be tied together with Fondmetal really though, since they were all part of the same team.

I can understand why Jamie and Enoch keep putting Osella off though, since there is an awful lot of writing to get through for a team which continued for so many years without success against the odds.