Driver Pairings you would like to have seen....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Re: Driver Pairings you would like to have seen....

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I'm wondering how would have been Eddie Irvine as a team mate of a female driver! :lol:
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I'm wondering how would have been Eddie Irvine as a team mate of a female driver! :lol:

Are you implying that if Eddie Irvine had a female teammate, she might have needed to take maternity leave before the end of their first season together? :o :shock:

8-) 8-) 8-)

Or, in recent F1Rejects talk, he could have been the piston in her cylinder...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I'm wondering how would have been James Hunt as a team mate of a female driver! :lol:
Fixed
Trump 2016
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Jari-Matti Latvala and François Duval

Grrrjjjnnn won't even have the chance to eliminate them in the first corner, as they already did themselves.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

From the 2013 Silly Season thread on the PS forum:

Backmarker wrote:I am a big fan of Jos the Boss, he has won lots of drivers' titles for me in Grand Prix Manager 2. I'd love to see him come back (though I think he's a bit chunky these days - hell, even in his F1 days he was chunky, given he couldn't fit inside a Sauber). Maybe Max Verstappen can make it to F1, but he's guaranteed to be a poor replacement for the Boss.

Coming to the 2017 Formula One season, the ultimate driver pairing: Max Verstappen and Kevin Magnussen, at Toro Rosso. Sons of the Stewart rejects unite, at the Team That Used To Be Minardi, now the reject(ish) B-squad of the Team That Used To Be Stewart!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dinizintheoven wrote:From the 2013 Silly Season thread on the PS forum:

Backmarker wrote:I am a big fan of Jos the Boss, he has won lots of drivers' titles for me in Grand Prix Manager 2. I'd love to see him come back (though I think he's a bit chunky these days - hell, even in his F1 days he was chunky, given he couldn't fit inside a Sauber). Maybe Max Verstappen can make it to F1, but he's guaranteed to be a poor replacement for the Boss.

Coming to the 2017 Formula One season, the ultimate driver pairing: Max Verstappen and Kevin Magnussen, at Toro Rosso. Sons of the Stewart rejects unite, at the Team That Used To Be Minardi, now the reject(ish) B-squad of the Team That Used To Be Stewart!

If that happens we will all get sucked into a wormhole.
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jocke1 wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:From the 2013 Silly Season thread on the PS forum:

If that happens we will all get sucked into a wormhole.

And if that happens at the same time at Josh Hill joining Williams Renault with Bruno Senna also somehow as his teammate? That would blow the universe to smithereens!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm also waiting for the day when McLaren sign Hugo Häkkinen, Ferrari sign Gina Maria Schumacher and the two of them have a titanic battle for the title. And then, when GMS decides the Ferrari team should be entirely moulded around her with a strict number two driver, they sign Eduardo Barrichello...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

dr-baker wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I'm wondering how would have been Eddie Irvine as a team mate of a female driver! :lol:

Are you implying that if Eddie Irvine had a female teammate, she might have needed to take maternity leave before the end of their first season together? :o :shock:

8-) 8-) 8-)

Or, in recent F1Rejects talk, he could have been the piston in her cylinder...

I was thinking about the recent F1reject talk, right! :D

Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

dinizintheoven wrote:I'm also waiting for the day when McLaren sign Hugo Häkkinen, Ferrari sign Gina Maria Schumacher and the two of them have a titanic battle for the title. And then, when GMS decides the Ferrari team should be entirely moulded around her with a strict number two driver, they sign Eduardo Barrichello...

The other McLaren driver would be Coulthard's son? ;)

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I'm also waiting for the day when McLaren sign Hugo Häkkinen, Ferrari sign Gina Maria Schumacher and the two of them have a titanic battle for the title. And then, when GMS decides the Ferrari team should be entirely moulded around her with a strict number two driver, they sign Eduardo Barrichello...

I looked that up, but he was born in 2008, so that's a bit young, when you consider the others were born from 1997-2001.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

dinizintheoven wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:

I looked that up, but he was born in 2008, so that's a bit young, when you consider the others were born from 1997-2001.

Right... :( Anyway it would be great! :D

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

James Davies and Guillaume Gauthier.

BlindCaveSalamander will be pleased. :lol: Image
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:James Davies and Guillaume Gauthier.

BlindCaveSalamander will be pleased. :lol: Image

Actually, that's already happened. Check REECCS.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

Grosjean & de Cesaris (pre Jordan)

Hunt & Raikonnen

Montoya & Alan Jones (with sponsorship from Pukka Pies)
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Nico Rosberg and Mark Dagnall
Keke Rosberg and Chris Dagnall (F1RWRS iteration)
Andrea Montermini and Ricardo Rosset
Nigel Mansell and Michael Schumacher

Thoughts? :)
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

FMecha wrote:Andrea Montermini and Ricardo Rosset

It would have been a great pairing for Mastercard Lola.

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Ricardo Rosset and Hiro Matsushita. The "King of Tosser"!
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Ricardo Rosset and Hiro Matsushita. The "King of Tosser"!

How about Shigeaki Hattori and Hiro Matsushita?
Everything's great.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:Ricardo Rosset and Hiro Matsushita. The "King of Tosser"!

How about Shigeaki Hattori and Hiro Matsushita?

The King of Caw Swide!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Benoit Voeckler and George MacDrage. :lol: :twisted:
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Robert Anderson and Beppe Gabbiani.
Trump 2016
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I would like to have seen Mika Salo & Mika Hakkinen as teammates. Because the perception to me as a Brit to me is that the Finns are usually quite reserved (in public at least). Also IIRC I believe these two Finns hate each others guts. Therefore I would have liked to have seen if there would have been any fallout between the two & how that might have developed?

Also Keke Rosberg & Patrick Depaillier might have been good as well. Given they were both known for smoking. So I'm thinking, at pitstops instead of their team supplying them with the usual drink. Perhaps they could supplied them with more cigarettes instead. :P
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Kyle Busch and Jonathan Summerton as USF1 originally intended. Once the FIA rejected the idea of Busch as he was a NASCAR product even if he outran Speed and Montoya who have had FIA Superlicenses, and Busch wasn't able to free himself from Joe Gibbs Racing as the drivers may earn a lot, but the contract for such a talented driver in NASCAR tends to run for many years the USF1 went after non-American drivers and ultimately never showed up at all.
girry

Post by girry »

(I think it applies to all forms of motor racing, not just Nascar - F1 transition) - your argument is weak, since being better in tintops =/= being better in singleseaters
when you're dead people start listening
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

giraurd wrote:(I think it applies to all forms of motor racing, not just Nascar - F1 transition) - your argument is weak, since being better in tintops =/= being better in singleseaters

This was after a season where Busch had 16 points event wins in NASCAR's top three series and 20 points events wins the year before while being 23 and 24 for most of the year in 2008 and 2009 respectively so the talent value was considered extremely high at the time due to age as Busch was quite young and success. Sadly, it doesn't take much to outrun Scott Speed in either F1 or NASCAR for that matter so all that gave us was that Kyle Busch is better than a rather unremarkable F1 reject in talent. That should be noted quite easily as not so much a weakness of argument or of Kyle Busch's talent, but that Scott Speed was terrible enough that he had little to no success in F1 (zero points) and not much more in NASCAR with only two career top tens in over 100 NASCAR Sprint Cup events in a nearly identical car as both Speed and Busch drove Toyota Camrys and NASCAR's strict templates.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

ibsey wrote:Also Keke Rosberg & Patrick Depaillier might have been good as well. Given they were both known for smoking. So I'm thinking, at pitstops instead of their team supplying them with the usual drink. Perhaps they could supplied them with more cigarettes instead. :P

One of the season review videos that Clive James narrated - likely as not, 1986 - sarcastically mentioned Keke having a hole drilled in his helmet so he could have a crafty Marlboro during the pit stop. Good one, Clive. At least he wasn't driving for Brabham in 1982, another Clive James special, with their first (and very rejectful) attempts at mid-race refuelling...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Kyle Busch and Jonathan Summerton as USF1 originally intended.

But then we wouldn't have had Keselowski's famous sentence :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:Kyle Busch and Jonathan Summerton as USF1 originally intended.

Forget Summerton, we need the other Busch in the second USF1 car as well :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Rosco Vantini with any female driver - imagine the reaction... :lol:

SuperAguri won't be pleased.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Wizzie wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

If USF1 did that Bernie E. would never let F1 go to the US again :lol:
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dinizintheoven wrote:
ibsey wrote:Also Keke Rosberg & Patrick Depaillier might have been good as well. Given they were both known for smoking. So I'm thinking, at pitstops instead of their team supplying them with the usual drink. Perhaps they could supplied them with more cigarettes instead. :P

One of the season review videos that Clive James narrated - likely as not, 1986 - sarcastically mentioned Keke having a hole drilled in his helmet so he could have a crafty Marlboro during the pit stop. Good one, Clive.

I also believe that was on the 1986 season review video. As IIRC Clive James made other similarly funny jokes about Keke's smoking, during some of other races. Like at Spa when after Keke stopped with engine trouble early in the race, IIRC Clive James said something like "Keke wasn't too unhappy, since that meant he could go off to smoke an early Marlboro. On an interesting side note, I only found out a couple of days ago from Jody Scheckter comments during end of season review podcast (here's the link for it; http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/opinion/season-review-podcast-with-jody-scheckter/ ) that, if I heard Jody correctly Patrick Depaillier used to sometimes have a cheeky glass of wine before getting into the car :o :o :o . Somehow I don't think too many drivers do that these days. God I love 70's & 80's F1 drivers, for just being normal like that & not adverse to the odd drink or smoke.

Also interesting was Jody's comments on how he still doesn't fully respect Alonso, even after his brilliant 2012 season. After Nando's antics during 2007. Actually thats a good point. Wouldn't have been great to have seen Alonso & M Schumi (both at their prime), as teammates at Ferrari. If only to see which one of them might have pulled the bigger 'hissy fit' in an attempt to 'win' No. 1 status within the team. :lol: Now that is something I would have loved to have seen.

dinizintheoven wrote:At least he wasn't driving for Brabham in 1982, another Clive James special, with their first (and very rejectful) attempts at mid-race refuelling...

Sorry to keep rambling on a bit here. But, in case you were not aware, I just thought I'd quickly mention that there is a very interesting recent interview with Gordan Murray here; http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/01/30/gordon-murray/

In it he gives a very interesting insight into how he came up with the idea for mid race refuelling in 1982 & how he subsqently developed the equipment to allow midrace refuelling then. For your ease, I will copy & paste his comments here...

“It started as a hot bath idea. I used to have a lot of good ideas after a hot bath. Recently a medical guy I met on holiday explained to me that there’s a physical reason for this, there’s a channel in your spine that opens up in the heat and increases the blood supply to the brain. I knew how much the tyres used to go off. And I’d learned from running the cars light in qualifying that the weight of one litre of fuel cost around one hundredth of a second in lap times. So I lay in the bath doing the maths.

“The clever thing wasn’t having the idea, it was developing all the stuff that went into it. That’s the bit I love. Throw me a series of connected problems and I’ve got to find a way to make everything work together. In this case it was how do you change the tyres quickly, how do you put the fuel in quickly, how do you avoid losing pace going back out on cold tyres. We videoed the mechanics changing tyres, analysed it frame by frame, and I redesigned the hubs, bearing carriers, threads, nuts and wheel guns, with a device to retain the nuts. And I put titanium on-board air jacks on the car. Now they can use simple lever jacks because they have so many mechanics on a pitstop, I think it’s 19 these days, but we only had eight mechanics working on a stop. Tyre warmers didn’t exist then, so I made an oven, a big thing like the Tardis, with temperature probes and hot air circulating through four tyres. Then we did the fuel kit. Nowadays [2007] it’s all the same for all the teams, and it all has to be done at atmospheric pressure so it’s pretty slow. But there were no rules about it then. So I designed a twin-barrel fuel system running at 4 bar. The damper barrel fed the fuel barrel and the fuel barrel fed the car, and we could push in 35 gallons in 3.5 seconds. Which is like an explosion, believe me.

“With the refuelling we had one guy on one side of the car opening the breather, one on the other putting in the fuel. Big heavy hoses over their shoulders. If the breather’s not on when the fuel guy opens the pressure, the car disintegrates. Four bar inside a carbon and aluminium monocoque, you wouldn’t find the pieces. So I designed all sorts of little mechanical interlocks inside the tank and it all got really complicated, castellations and cams and Geneva mechanisms. And I looked at it and thought, on a racing car it’s going to vibrate, one day it’s going to fail to work and the car’s going to explode. No more Brabham, no more pitlane, maybe no more F1. I studied the videos again, and I realised that during a stop the breather guy and the fuel guy would be facing each other each side of the roll hoop with their noses about four inches apart. So I scrapped the interlocks and I got the two of them together and I said to the breather guy, ‘When you approach the car with your hose, you’re looking down to where you’ve got to lock the hose on, so don’t look up until it’s on.’ And I said to the fuel guy, ‘Don’t turn on the fuel until he looks up at you and you see the whites of his eyes four inches away.’ So that’s what they did, and it worked.

“Then we found that when the car came in from being on full power and was stationary for eight seconds, the turbo was so hot that its bearings melted, just seized solid. We looked at water jackets, we looked at another radiator, and then I suddenly remembered the air jacks. The jack man plugged in an air line fed by an enormous air bottle, and it only took a bit of that air to jack the car up. So we took a tube off the jack line and made a shroud around the turbo, and when the car was jacked up it blew cold air over the turbo bearings. That fixed it.

“All this stuff was designed and developed in three months, with a tiny team of people. We hired Donington for a secret test, guards on the fences, and we needed to beat 20 seconds for slowing down, doing the stop, and accelerating away. We did it in 19. Then I worked out a simple mathematical equation for each circuit. You filled in the circuit characteristics and it gave you the optimum moment to stop for fuel.”

Unrelated turbo problems meant that the strategy only really came into play late in the season, with Piquet and Patrese between them winning the last three Grands Prix of the year. “For 1983 I was sure that all the other teams would copy us, but we arrived in Brazil for round one and nobody had half-tank cars. Nobody had done the maths. I said to Bernie, ‘We’ve got away with it!’” Piquet was world champion again that year – and then refuelling stops were banned.

Jeez I though the mechanic’s during the mid 90’s had it bad with refuelling. Can you imagine how much the Brabham boys must have been cr@pping in their pants whenever they had to perform a midrace refuel in 1982. Bearing in mind the dire consequences for getting it wrong? Very brave boys, is all I can say.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And the lesson here is: have a hot bath more often.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dinizintheoven wrote:And the lesson here is: have a hot bath more often.

I haven't had a bath since I was about 11 years old! Showers ever since! Clearly this explains where I've been going wrong all my life and why I only scraped an E grade in both Maths and Physics at A Level! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wizzie wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

Wonder why Kurt lost his job at Penske and probably would be banned from F1? This type of tirade is why he doesn't drive the #2 car anymore or for Penske at all.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:And the lesson here is: have a hot bath more often.

I haven't had a bath since I was about 11 years old! Showers ever since! Clearly this explains where I've been going wrong all my life and why I only scraped an E grade in both Maths and Physics at A Level! :lol:

And I thought I did badly with D's in Physics and French at A-Level! Still, I'm studying for my second Bachelor's degree, so can't complain...
MCard LOLA
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Nestra Aya and Alex Yoong
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I've got another one, Bobby Rahal and Kevin Cogan, although far more probable in IndyCar than F1 as the time overlap of when Rahal raced sports cars in the global scale and for Wolf in F1 while Cogan was in F1 was far smaller than their IndyCar careers.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Pastor Maldonado and Juan Pablo Montoya. Though I'd prefer to take cover inside a nuclear shelter first...
Everything's great.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Michael Scumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya, circa. 2002. That'd make Prost/Senna look tame by comparison
TORA! TORA! TORA!