The last race I saw...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ferrarist

The last race I saw...

Post by Ferrarist »

Some of you may know threads, where people talk about the last movie they've seen. This thread is something similar, as it's about the last race one has seen.

1992 Indianapolis 500
Boy, was that race a crashfest! Even veteran drivers like Rick Mears, Mario Andretti oder Emerson Fittipaldi weren't spared from crashing. But this race also had drama, when Michael Andretti's engine blew up a mere 11 laps to the finish. Unfortunately, Michael left for F1 the year later. He would have definitely won Indy that year. Then we had Al Unser Jr. and Scott Goodyear racing to the finish, with Al Sr. lurking behind at third place. Kudos to him for keeping the Buick at one piece throughout the race! But kudos should also go to Chip Ganassi Racing, who more or less could keep the pace of the Newman/Haas cars (Although Michael was unstoppable that day). If it wasn't for a penalty, Eddie Cheever could have even won that race, or we would have at least seen a three-way race to the finish.
All in all, this edition of Indy was very entertaining, although the huge amount of crashes and the resulting cautions dragged the race quite a bit.
MIA SAN MIA!
James1978

Re: The last race I saw...

Post by James1978 »

Well mine, like most people I expect is Brazil 2012........ :?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Presumably it's more like "the last race you've actually been to" rather than "the last race you've seen on TV"?

In which case... it was probably banger racing about a decade ago or so!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

For me,since I live in Singapore,the last race for me was the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix,which I had to knave early due to my school setting up the perfect time for an End-Of-Year examination.I remember Karthikeyan crashing,Maldonado retiring and Michael Schumacher steam-rolling poor Jean-Eric VRRRRGGGGNNNNN.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I haven't been to many races, so the last one was the World Series by Renault in 2011. Besides that, I've been to the 2005 Malaysian Grand Prix, 2008 and 2009 Belgian Grands Prix, Malaysian round of A1GP in 2007, the SuperGT at Sepang in 2008 and the Spa 6 Hours and historic racing in 2010.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Some race at the local short track. I think Ken Schrader of NASCAR fame popped in for a one off there.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

The last race meeting I went too was Euro Rallycross at Lydden Hill 2010 (I think).
Murry Walker was guest commentator for the final. There was very little in the way of overtaking.
Message me on Discord.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

The only "race" I've ever been to was some local Formula Student time trial on a junkyard. Try to find something more rejectful.

Unfortunately the nearest real race track is over 500 km from where I live, so it's quite difficult for me to see some top-level motorsport live.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The last race I've been to was the 2009 Bathurst 1000. The weather was absolutely insane that day and the race itself was fantastic. Other than that, I've been the first A1GP round at Eastern Creek and the 2008 V8 round there as well
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Last race I went to was a banger/stock car meeting in Birmingham in November - I did the commentary.

Long circuit wise it was Mallory Park in August for a Classic Sports Car Club meeting.
Forza Forti
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Last race I went to was the WEC Silverstone 6 Hours in August which was brilliant. Cheap, loads of access, got Bruni and Kristensen's autographs and almost had Nakajima's and Davidson's too. Would recommend it to anyone, and the cars sound fantastic, especially the LMP1s, really awesome.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Last one I saw was only recently, the Sunday race of the Sydney 500. Parked next to the escape road at turn 1 and saw various drivers being muppets :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Only racing event i've ever been to was World Series by Renault at Silverstone in 2008, very good day out though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Go to the Clipsal 500 every year
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Qualifying sessions for 24h of Zolder, but not the actual race. The last race was the same historic GP at Spa that Tommy has been to, but he went on sunday, while i went on saturday.
Never seen races outside of Zolder or Spa. Seen quite a lot of local races at Zolder, as i went there for the first time in 1994. In fact, i'm one of the only people in the world that went to see the Champcars when they raced in Zolder. In fact, there were only Bourdais and Doornbos supporters, no local people :?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Circuit de Catalunya, MotoGP. Main grandstand in '12, and grandstand N in '11.
I feel priviledged to have seen Marco Simoncelli ride, before it was too late. :(
-*:-
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

The last (and only) race I saw live was the 2009 ALMS Race at Laguna Seca. My hearing was never the same, my god was it good. The big moment from that weekend outside of the Chaparral connections would be the last lap battle between a FL Porsche and a Factory Corvette. And let me tell you, I was probably the closest spectator to where the Corvette hit the outside barrier. Bah Gawd.

Link to the battle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0LHqNAiWPk

But for the reject aspect of the race weekend, there was the ECO Racing Radical VW Diesel thing. Constantly spewing blue smoke and generally being a failure. I will always remember the moment on race day when I was walking through the paddock seeing the car sitting there, noone around it; Just and empty garage and the car. It was probably the most emotional moment of the weekend seeing such a cool piece of kit, just left to wither away not doing it's purpose. Here is a pic of the car for those who don't know it.

The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Ferrarist wrote:Some of you may know threads, where people talk about the last movie they've seen. This thread is something similar, as it's about the last race one has seen.

1992 Indianapolis 500
Boy, was that race a crashfest! Even veteran drivers like Rick Mears, Mario Andretti oder Emerson Fittipaldi weren't spared from crashing. But this race also had drama, when Michael Andretti's engine blew up a mere 11 laps to the finish. Unfortunately, Michael left for F1 the year later. He would have definitely won Indy that year. Then we had Al Unser Jr. and Scott Goodyear racing to the finish, with Al Sr. lurking behind at third place. Kudos to him for keeping the Buick at one piece throughout the race! But kudos should also go to Chip Ganassi Racing, who more or less could keep the pace of the Newman/Haas cars (Although Michael was unstoppable that day). If it wasn't for a penalty, Eddie Cheever could have even won that race, or we would have at least seen a three-way race to the finish.
All in all, this edition of Indy was very entertaining, although the huge amount of crashes and the resulting cautions dragged the race quite a bit.

It was cold enough that there was a wind chill of 36 degrees F at the start of the race or so I have been told.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The last (and only) race I saw live was the 2009 ALMS Race at Laguna Seca. My hearing was never the same, my god was it good. The big moment from that weekend outside of the Chaparral connections would be the last lap battle between a FL Porsche and a Factory Corvette. And let me tell you, I was probably the closest spectator to where the Corvette hit the outside barrier. Bah Gawd.

Link to the battle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0LHqNAiWPk

But for the reject aspect of the race weekend, there was the ECO Racing Radical VW Diesel thing. Constantly spewing blue smoke and generally being a failure. I will always remember the moment on race day when I was walking through the paddock seeing the car sitting there, noone around it; Just and empty garage and the car. It was probably the most emotional moment of the weekend seeing such a cool piece of kit, just left to wither away not doing it's purpose. Here is a pic of the car for those who don't know it.

RealRacingRoots wrote:Image

Ian Dawson's team. Bad chassis, nice engine. I know a guy who worked on the engine installation when it was first used in 2004, in a Lola. The engine wasn't very modified from the road car engine. When it was remapped and tuned, the engine chewed up 3 sets of driveshafts in the first day of testing, so it had to be detuned, as it had so much torque.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DTM race in Brands Hatch, May 2012. Good fun.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Last race I watched live was the BTCC meeting at Croft this year. I would definitely recommend the TOCA package to anyone interested in attending an event in person.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
nome66

Post by nome66 »

the last race i've been to was a street race a week ago at an undisclosed location by my highschool(which i graduated so that made me the grand old dude or whatever they called me).

the last OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED race i've been to was the Baltimore Grand Prix back in 2011. was an ok race. that safety crew driver driving the wrong way at the first corner got sacked i think. Simona De Silvestro led a lap due to pitstops and her having fresh rubber. will power quickly ran her down thereafter. Kanaan placed third which is amazing considering his encounter with Helio in warmup, that i also witnessed first hand, and also he started dead last in a spare chassis. i also met Hinchcliffe before his godaddy sponsorship and people giving two flying whatevers toward him. he's a nice guy and finished midfield.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

In reverse order
1996 BTTC race at Knockhill, 1995 Belgian Grand Prix, 1995 BTTC race at Knockhill, 1989 British Grand Prix
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

WeirdKerr wrote:In reverse order
1996 BTTC race at Knockhill, 1995 Belgian Grand Prix, 1995 BTTC race at Knockhill, 1989 British Grand Prix

It would've been difficult to see those in any other order.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:In reverse order

It would've been difficult to see those in any other order.

What if you stand on your head?
-*:-
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

The last race I saw the 2009 Porsche 250 at the Barber Motorsports Park. Don't remember anything too memorable about it. But at least the weather was pleasant. Alex Gurney, and John Fogarty won the race. I was on turn 14. Here's the race below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3yPeowFKM
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

The last (and only) race I've ever seen is European Grand Prix in Jerez in 1997. I've never wanted to go to Montmeló or Valencia... why waste several hundred euros in getting to tracks which tend to produce the most boring races on earth????
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Aerond wrote:The last (and only) race I've ever seen is European Grand Prix in Jerez in 1997. I've never wanted to go to Montmeló or Valencia... why waste several hundred euros in getting to tracks which tend to produce the most boring races on earth????

That must have been interesting! Which corner did you watch the race?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Aerond wrote:The last (and only) race I've ever seen is European Grand Prix in Jerez in 1997. I've never wanted to go to Montmeló or Valencia... why waste several hundred euros in getting to tracks which tend to produce the most boring races on earth????

That must have been interesting! Which corner did you watch the race?

1st corner! and luckily with a giant screen in front. Still have some pictures and the tickets!
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Last race meeting I went to was some truck and Mini racing at Brands Hatch in early November. Also seen them at Thruxton and Brands last year. Been to British GP 1996 and Monza 2011. Every A1 GP round ever held at Brands Hatch. Autosport 6 Hours at Silverstone in 2011. Superleague, F2, and DTM at Brands. Multiple BTCC/TOCA events at Brands, Silverstone and Rockingham.

Would love to get to more foreign events, particularly the Monaco GP, Indy 500 and Le Mans 24 Hours.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I haven't been to a race to absolutely ages, but it must have been around 2001 when I went to Castle Combe and watched some Radicals (amongst other things) racing that day. I also went to the Goodwood Revival that year...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Faustus wrote:DTM race in Brands Hatch, May 2012. Good fun.

shite, I completely forgot something.
I was at Grand Prix at Silverstone on the saturday for the practice and qualifying. I also watched the GP2 and GP3 sprint races. Don't know how I forgot about that.